Thursday, January 30, 2014

Scale of the universe looking at the sky


[These blogs are created for my online astronomy class in California State University Northridge. Since they may interest wider audience, I publish them on Blogger. All comments are welcome.]

Scale of the universe looking at the sky
Debi Prasad Choudhary
Los Angeles, 1/30/2014

While growing up in a small remote village, I used to listen stories from my granny about the mythological characters who could change their size as they like and can move large distances in a matter of fraction of a second. They can become like mountains or like an ant in a moment. Once a Hindu God, known as Hanumanji in his childhood, woke up in the morning and was hungry.  His mother was attending to some other household activity. He saw the rising sun and thought of it as a ripened fruit. Immediately, he jumped and ate the sun. The whole world became dark. Other Gods were afraid and prayed Hunmanji to eject the sun, which he obliged and saved the creation. I was really fascinated with these stories and believed them that gave me a sense of scale of the earth, sun and all others I saw around me. Later in school, I read the story of Gulliver’s travels, where he encounters Lilliput and giants. Even though I did not believe them, I wished they were true.

Later, I went to far away places from my village for higher studies that took 24 to 36 hours of train journey. This really gave me a sense of the size of landscape in which I lived. Much later, on my first visit abroad to Germany, when I used to talk to my wife in India, some times I used to ask her go outside and see if it is daylight or darkness of night. Even though, I knew that earth is round and my wife’s place would be in nighttime when Germany would be in day, this fact fascinated me. Even now, the fact that east and west coast of United States has two different times separated by three hours fascinates me. Last summer, while attending a conference, one of my old professors asked me “do you know how much is a trillion dollar?” I was a bit confused, as I can never imagine what a trillion dollar means. We figured out that if you place trillion of one dollar bills one over the other, the height would be the distance to the moon!! You might like to calculate this fascinating fact!!

Compared to my home, my town and me the universe, of which I am a part, is big. There are, of course, much tiny things around. They are so tiny that when you shine light onto them to see, they move due to the push of light particles. So, it is impossible to precisely determine their position. There is a whole different subject of dealing with these tiny objects. But, astronomy is all about big things and large distances.

It is fascinating to know that there are things beyond what we know to exist like our home, our town or our earth. There are other planets moving around the sun like our earth. There are billions of suns in our galaxy and billions of galaxies are in this universe. In this scale of structure, the nearest distance to a star, which is our sun, is about 150,000,000 km called one astronomical unit. It is convenient to write this in scientific notation as 1.5×108 km. The distance is so much that light takes about 8 minutes to come to us from the sun. The speed of light is about 300,000 km/s and nothing in the universe can travel faster then light. In order to express the size of a galaxy, we need a bigger unit of distance. One convenient unit is the distance travelled by light in one year. This is known as light year (Ly), a unit of distance NOT time!! The size of a galaxy is 80,000 Ly, that means light takes 80,000 years to come from one side of the galaxy to another side. If you go by a car it will take many many years, during which time the sun itself will die!!

This is the vast universe we live in. Knowing that make us smart and humbling. That is the single most benefit of learning astronomy. How do we know that universe is this big? In past 100 years, we have explored the universe with modern physics that has also given us airplanes, cars, iPods and cell phones. We can watch a movie sitting on the college lawn. The laws of physics that are used to make these devices are employed to explore the universe. Sir Isac Newton, a British scientist showed that the same laws of physics govern the motion of objects both on earth and in heavens. So, we are confident that what we know is consistent. Today we are equipped to ask big questions like: how the universe was created? How life was created? These are the questions all civilizations asked. Every civilization answered in their own way. We hope to give answer using robust science. We do not have answers to all questions at this time. But my granny did not have an iPhone either. Exploring the answer is the goal of modern science. We look at the sky and explore the property of the stars and all that we can see.

While in elementary school, we used to sleep outside in summer time and look at the sky. The village sky was much darker those days, filled with bright and faint stars. Many bright stars gave an appearance of patterns that are called constellations. These groups of stars just appear as one pattern at this time and do not have any physical association. Several thousand years ago, you might not see such patterns as the stars move in the sky. My granny narrated stories about two group of constellation that impressed me in my childhood. One of them was Orion constellation depicted as the great warier, general of Gods, known as Mahakal.  The other one was great dipper, called saptarashi (seven sages). One of the sages is the sixth star (located in the tail) named as Vasistha, one of the great-learned sages of Hindu mythology. This is a visual binary star that has a faint companion, named as the Arundhti, the faithful wife of Vasistha. Many years later, when my granny died, I wanted to name one of these stars after her!!! This companion star is the limit of visibility for human eye, which can often be used for eye test. If you can see this star with unaided eye, you are good!!

There are twelve such prominent patterns known as Zodiac. Since they happen to align with the plane in which the sun moves in the sky, they have special significance in ancient time. Depending on the position of the sun in the background of this zodiac constellation during the birth of an individual, our constellation signs are decided. For example, I am a Leo. When I was in 5th grade, my father invited an astrologer and found out my major life events based the zodiac sign. He was worried, because I used be sick very often for prolonged period, primarily because of lack of medical facility in the village. Anyway, I took interest and waited for better times predicted by the astrologer. Later, while in college, I used to look at the astrological predictions printed in local newspapers. If the prediction was bad, I really used to get depressed and look at another newspaper that gave prediction for a good day. I used to convenience myself, may be the later newspaper is more correct. I gave up this exercise after a while, when I did not find any such correlation with what they say and what actually happens. Now, of course, I know that these predictions are baseless and as good as my granny telling me how good my day is going to be.

After my granny died, I started looking for the brightest star for her. I learned that a star that looks bright might not be really bright if it is located nearer to us compared to a bright star at a greater distance. The brightness that appears is known as apparent brightness. The astronomers have devised techniques to determine distances to the stars. So, they can tell their actual brightness, known as absolute brightness. These are measured in magnitude scale. In this apparent magnitude scale the sun is -26.74. The brightest star is -1.47. A human eye can see a star of 6th magnitude. The more negative is the brighter.

The stars are huge balls of glowing mostly hydrogen located at far away distances. For us they are just point sources of light, radiating energy in all directions. The energy received on earth over a square meter per second is the energy flux (F) that actually decides the brightness of the star. If two stars A and B differ by one magnitude, the flux ratio would be FA/FB = (2.512)(mB-mA)

So, now while I know that Hanumanji could not have eaten the sun or the star patterns do not decide my day, I know that the laws of physics using which the TV set in my living room is made, govern the motion of stars and their lifestyle. In my later career, I have been using them to explore this amazing creation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should use the material in the following links to explore the night sky in your locality with the help of Internet resources. Familiarizing the objects in the sky will not only give you intellectual pleasure but also help you in navigation and other useful activity.

(1) Install GoogleSky on your computer.

(2) Exercises to identify the constellations on local sky. 

328 comments:

  1. This is a test for the students of Astr152L students for entering their comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting and informative blog especially for me being an Astronomy beginner. I actually find astronomy intriguing, to think about the world as big as it is, is very overwhelming but so fascinating all together. This blog puts the Earth, and the universe into perspective as to how giant it is. I may never be an astronaut, but learning about astronomy is a great knowledge to have.

      Delete
    2. Interesting way to think about the universe. It is cool (and weird) to think about how tiny and insignificant we really are. Like you said, thinking about this is humbling, but I believe it is really important for everyone alive to know the basics of the subject of Astronomy.

      Delete
    3. Hi Im Celinne Hernandez from Astr 152
      I have always found astronomy very interesting. At first glance I assumed it was only about stars, I did not know that the laws of physics also created most of what technology and objects we have. I am very excited to be learning more about astronomy.

      Delete
    4. It is nice that you found the stars, planets, and basically the whole universe very fascinating at such a young age. I myself found the paragraph about absolute brightness very interesting and I hope we learn more about it because I always like to find the brightest stars and point them out myself.

      Delete
    5. Greetings Professor,

      I would like to share my deepest gratitude for sharing your blog with us. Not only did I find it to be educational, but also fascinating. Fascinating in the sense that you were able to find this passion of yours by one simple story that your grandmother had shared with you in your childhood years. I find it also very interesting that we will not only be studying the many many stars in our galaxy, but also the many ways in which scientific laws apply to them. I also found it interesting that "$1 trillion dollar bills equals the distance to the moon."

      ~ Marina M.
      ASTR 152 FALL 2016

      Delete
    6. I have also found it fascinating that, even though we are such a small planet, the universe, our galaxy, and our solar systems play such a major role in our lives. The difference in hours between India and Germany, although may be microscopic in importance of the universe, is extremely influential to every single life on earth. I think that's the importance of astronomy, is to understand that everything about it is so massive compared to our lives.

      Delete
    7. ASTR 152, FALL 2016

      Delete
    8. Cindy Tovar ASTR 152 OnlineAugust 30, 2016 at 10:24 PM

      I remember as a kid, I would look up at the stars and I would just stare into the sky wondering what it all meant. How big was the sky and how far space went. I wanted to be an astronaut so I could touch the stars but now I know that is not possible. But I like how I thought back then. I was filled with so many questions about space and our world. I was fascinated by folklore and stories about gods creating such magic such as Orions belt, planets and the constellations. I would watch movies like Hercules and instead of thinking it was complete fiction, I wanted to think that somehow there was something more to a made up story. As I grew up, I became more accustomed to accepting reality and facts but if I could go back in time and have a chat with my little self, I would encourage her to push her imagination even further. Learning what the speed of light is and what a star really contains are lessons I want to explore. The truth is far more interesting for a student of my age anyways.

      Delete
    9. Amy Young from Astronomy 152L
      I find Astronomy very fascinating because we still do not know entirely what is all out there. Knowing what we know is already incredible and very interesting. I very much look forward to this course and looking further into Astronomy as a whole rather than just the stars and constellations that I once thought Astronomy only was.

      Delete
    10. Very interesting lecture professor. I am very intrigued how it can be in the middle of the night on the west coast and how it’s the wee hours of the morning in the east coast. I find myself thinking about that mostly when I’m up at 2-3am and realizing my friends on the east coast are barely waking up. Personally, when I think about it too much , and I take the time to stare up into the night sky I find it almost scary how big the universe is. It’s very surreal to think that there is so much more out there and beyond.

      -Jennie Estrada ASTR 152 Fall 2016

      Delete
    11. Hello Professor,
      I find astronomy to be very interesting and I have always found myself pondering about what happens in the sky. Although I do not have the historical myths and stories about the sky, I am still constantly intrigued by all the phenomenons that occur within the sky. Being updated with different phases of the moon, meteor showers, and minimal activity going on in space, I continue to keep discovering new and exciting things about astronomy. Also being a believer of horoscopes, my knowledge of constellations are wider and I find that they pop out more vividly for me to spot.

      Delete
    12. This lecture is not only interesting, but is also informative. I find Astronomy very intriguing due to the fact that we do not entirely know about the universe, the galaxy, stars, or our planet. There is so much more to be explored. The section regarding the brightness of a star explained my question about why each star has its only brightness. Now I can imagine how much a trillion dollars is, just by comparing it to the distance to the moon. I am really excited and looking forward to learning more about Astronomy in this course.

      - Phuong Truong ASTR 152 Fall 2016

      Delete
    13. I am looking forward to this class, although it is an online class, for a greater further knowledge of astronomy. Ever since i was little, i have always been intrigued with the sky. There was a park down my street that had a star gazing event that happened every Tuesday when I was young. I learned about the stars and constellations in the sky. I even learned many myths about the stars through some classes I've taken. It is very interesting to me about what is out there and why everything is the way it is. Our galaxy is so mysterious and i am definitely excited to learn more about it. Stars, black holes, comets, etc, they all sound so interesting!
      - Maggie Chong ASTR 152 Fall 2016

      Delete
    14. Emmeli Tomth Astr 152September 3, 2016 at 12:14 PM

      Hi Professor,

      Thank you for taking us on your journey of how you from your grandma's stories get interested in astrology.

      I recall being a little girl in Sweden looking up at the shy and wonder what was out there and what my place in it meant.

      The distance of the galaxy is mind blowing and its so fashinating that we as humans still have so much to observe about the universe in which we live.

      Thank you!

      Emmeli Tomth

      Delete
    15. Ayesha Mumtaz ASTR 152September 3, 2016 at 1:34 PM

      Hi Professor and Classmates,

      Thank you so much for sharing your experiences as a child. I had similar experiences growing up and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts detailing the information your grandmother passed on you.

      Being an Accounting major that deals with numbers on a daily basis, I felt that your blog post was a healthy mix of numbers and theory which made for a very interesting read.

      I'm excited to read more of these blog posts and look forward to an interesting semester!

      Best,

      Ayesha

      Delete
    16. Hello Classmates

      My name is Reginald Hawkins from Astr 152. I found this article very interesting and insightful. The section where you discussed light years being used as distance to get to one part of the galaxy to another is very amazing. As a child, I would look up and wonder how long it would take for me to reach a certain part of the galaxy. It is also fascinating to know that with all the progress we have made toward space travel, we still have not scrapped the surface of finding what else the universe has to offer.

      Delete
    17. Hi professor!

      Just like you, I found astronomy interesting at a young age, except I never decided to pursue astronomy. What i found most interesting was the part about the zodiac signs. I hope to gain more knowledge in astronomy by taking Astr 152

      Delete
    18. Ryan Schlup Astronomy 152September 3, 2016 at 10:49 PM

      Hello Professor,

      I enjoyed your blog and found it very informational. Like yourself I was amazed when I found out the true size of the universe and its workings. The experience was truly humbling even as a child. I'm looking forward to broadening my general knowledge of Astronomy.

      Delete
    19. ASTR 152 FALL 2016

      Hello professor,
      I really enjoyed reading your article about your journey from a young boy listening to myths about the universe to your extensive knowledge about the subject matter. Like you I never really believed zodiac signs but when I would read them, some of the things I read were true which would shock me. I want to address how you pursed your education going abroad to Germany while having a life in India, especially that you had a wife in your home country. I myself, have always been interested in the universe because there is so much out there that we as humans have never seen. The fact that I do not know what is out there fascinates me. The universe is so big that we might not be the only form of life-form out there but who knows. This class is very fascinating and hope to learn a lot.

      Delete
    20. Samantha Mejia AST 152 Fall 2016September 4, 2016 at 11:12 AM

      Hello Professor,

      This lecture was a very interesting read. As a child, have always been interested in constellations although was not very knowledgeable about them. As a child, me and my own grandmother used to love reading our zodiac horoscopes or predictions for the week and month. I was always fascinated when they were true- down the details sometimes. I've grown out of believing in them, but have not grown out of sensation looking at the stars gives me: the feeling of being just a small living creature in this vast universe. I'm hoping to continue to learn more through this course.

      Delete
    21. Hello Professor,
      Your lecture was very compelling because astronomy to me, has been a whole lot of different stories that have made it hard to believe in the local sky. I too, find it really interesting how some of the astronomy myths have formed. For example, for a long time I used to believe in the zodiac signs, so much so that I would base my days and my relationships on the things that I would read about my sign. That is why I am so intrigued in this class. There is obviously a reason why there are constellations in the sky and zodiac signs within the months, and I can't wait to find out why.

      Delete
    22. Hello professor!
      I'm Liudmila Menshikova from Ast 152. This was such an interesting and engaging blog post. It was nice to read about your childhood experiences as they resonated with much of my own. The question of the universe size is definitely one of the most exciting questions to ever be asked. When I think about how truly huge the universe I start to think about our relation to it in terms of size and importance.

      Best regards,
      Liudmila Menshikova

      Delete
  2. Amazing article. As an accounting major student the most fascinating part was to imagine how much is $1 trillion. It is also fascinating to see how world is developing. If humanity continue developing with same enthusiasm one day we will have all the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article really helps to put the vast extent of our universe on a scale which is easier to understand. The trillion dollar example was great! I love that your grandmother had such an impact on your curiosity in the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is interesting. I found if you place trillion of one dollar bills one over the other, the height would be the distance to the moon very surprising and interesting, It is impressive that the light takes about 8 minutes to come to us from the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would appreciate, if you also post your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jocelyn Garcia from Astr 152

    I liked that you started off with the myths you were told as a child and then went into what the night sky really is. As humans we are brought up with different customs so it was interesting to read about your culture's creation story.

    I remember thinking that earthquakes happened because the earth burped occasionally. Although it's not exactly true I do want to believe that the earth is alive so I definitely understand you when you say that you wish the stories were true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi this is Christian Estrada from AST 152.

    I find it fascinating how people from different cultures, can always end up having explanations for reasons why natural occurrences happen, and include characters, stories, and emotions in their reasonings. My grandma used to tell me that every star in the sky was an angel shining a light on us, to keep the darkness and evil away when the sun went to sleep. When people don't know how to explain certain things, folklore and myth are great ways of keeping children's imagination active while giving reason to their never ending questions. Thank you for sharing professor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jamie Orlando from AST 152
    I remember sitting outside in my backyard at night and watching the stars with my grandparents. They taught me all about the constellations and how the universe seems to stretch on forever. I agree with the article when it said it is truly humbling when we see just how small we are in comparison to everything beyond us in space. I used to feel that way just looking at the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this quite entertaining. I remember being in middle school looking at my zodiac sign and horoscopes at least once a week. I found it very fascinating that something about the position of the star, the moon, the sun may give you a little insight about yourself. I still sit outside during the evening and look up at the sky just staring at the stars and finding shapes or pictures made from the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite a long way we've come from old myths. There was only one story I heard as a child that involved celestial bodies, which was that meteorites were really fiery devils falling, struck down from attempting to enter heaven. I never believed in that, and now of course we understand meteorites are solid chunks of rock with iron in them, on a collision course with the Earth. I used to wonder why the moon was covered in craters and not the Earth. I mean, with a cheap telescope you can see hundreds of craters on the surface of the moon. It's harder to find craters here except that now with the use of satellite imaging, they've become easier to locate. But most meteors just burn up on re-entry.

    The comment on the width of a galaxy prompted me to look for the width of the observable universe. Some of the farthest matter from us is 46 BILLION light years away. That distance would take light 46 billion years to cross. But then, if the universe is 13.8 billion years old, that would almost make me think the matter would have to be traveling faster than the speed of light, but it's not. The matter is so far away because of the expansion of the space of the universe. That's a difficult concept to wrap my head around.

    Anyways, I wonder how much the myths are still told around the world. I wonder what it would take to get this kind of information out, and what changes it might cause in removing superstition. Publicizing this more could mean more attention and public interest in space exploration and study.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sky was also very interesting to me growing up. I remember looking at the sky in the daytime and wondering why it was blue. I thought that the sky should be clear and have no color in it. At night time I would look at the stars and wonder what the brightest stars were and which constellation they belonged to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how you started with how your granny told you stories about the stars and how it played a big role in your career. When I was a child I remember trying to count the number of stars in the sky but always failed. Even though I like the night because of the moon shining, I always liked the sun more because when I wake up in the mornings it feels like a beautiful day has just begun and I get a lot of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarkis Najarian
    I like how you started with how your granny told you stories about the stars and how it played a big role in your career. When I was a child I remember trying to count the number of stars in the sky but always failed. Even though I like the night because of the moon shining, I always liked the sun more because when I wake up in the mornings it feels like a beautiful day has just begun and I get a lot of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a very interesting article. I really enjoyed reading this blog. It was very helpful to understand and learn many new things about the Universe. What I found very fascinating was that "if you place trillion of one dollar bills one over the other, the height would be the distance to the moon." It was fun to read about the Zodiac and how you believed that the way astrologists predict your day, than it will probably go that way. Similarly, I used to believe in that and i read it every single day, however I stopped doing it. This blog is very helpful and very entertaining because you add your own experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Farnum Darabi from Astr152

    I really thought this blog was interesting. I would love to see a trillion dollars stacked up to the moon as it would be a mind boggling experience. Also, i was unaware of it taking the sun approximately 8 minutes for its light to reach the earth. I am a virgo, and growing up, i never beleived in the traits and all the things your "sign" is about because they barely had any traits in common. If you ever wonder, where did this universe come from? how was it made? how is everything so complex, dynamic and scientific. Where were you before this life? all these years where you in a different world? Thinking about your non-existence prior to this life is mind blowing and i believe humans are incapable of understanding such complex realities. I cannot wait for next weeks blog, hope its as good as this weeks. hopefully next week i can chime in on some more personal experiences.

    -FD

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wei Hung Lai from AST 152
    I found this article really fascinate me, because I really like to stare at stars and constellations when I was a little child, even till now I still like staring at sky and counting the stars. I always try to find the different constellations, for example ,Sirius and Big Dipper. I am a Taiwanese, so my parents told me a lot of mystery legend about stars and constellations. I still remember that my mom once told me that there is a fairy live in the moon, if you point at her, she will cut your left ear. Therefore, I never pointed at the moon when I was young, However, by the time I grew up I gradually learning the knowledge about the outer space, and some basic about astronomy. I know that this isn't real. It is just a tradition in our culture. Astronomy really fascinate me a lot. Therefore, I think I can learn more information in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carlos Monroy from Astro 152

    When I was younger I would stare up at the sky and just admire it. Till this day I believe astronomy is really interesting and in various ways complex. One thing that i have questioned for years is, the existence of more Earths; plants capable of sustaining life in it. Because of the distance between galaxies, maybe we can't send a person to explore, maybe robots seem more reasonable. But even then there are many factors against that exploration. But there may be hope still, technology is advancing at an incredible rate. Maybe in the future it will be possible to answer more questions, questions that today seem impossible to answer.

    Ofelya Avagyan [ofelya.avagyan.255@my.csun.edu]
    Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2014 9:57 PM
    To:
    Choudhary, Debi Prasad


    This is a very interesting article. I really enjoyed reading this blog. It was
    very helpful to understand and learn many new things about the Universe. What I
    found very fascinating was that "if you place trillion of one dollar bills one
    over the other, the height would be the distance to the moon." It was fun to
    read about the Zodiac and how you believed that the way astrologists predict
    your day, than it will probably go that way. Similarly, I used to believe in
    that and i read it every single day, however I stopped doing it. This blog is
    very helpful and very entertaining because you add your own experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, this is Jennica Trabish from your ASTR152OL class
    I loved reading about your childhood and the stories you were able to grow up with. The example of a trillion dollars amazed me! I had no idea!
    A story I heard when I was young at a camp was the story of how the Coyote fell in love with the star.

    There was a coyote who was only a spirit back then and would walk the Earth at night. He would sit down and look at the stars, but there was one star in particular that caught his eye. He found that star to be the most beautiful star in the sky and would talk to the star even though he would be greeted with no reply. One night, he noticed the star near a mountain edge where it looked as if he could touch it. So he traveled to the mountain and waited for it to be night again. Night did come and so did the star. The coyote begged and begged the star to bring him up and she did. Higher and higher they rose until the coyote became fearful. He begged the star to let him down again and she did. Down he fell until he hit the Earth. He created a lake crater on the Earth. It's said that when the coyotes howl at the stars, they are reprimanding the star that killed their father.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, this is Taylor Hobson from your ASTR152OL class
    Reading about your very interesting blog post has made me so excited to learn more about the universe that I didn’t know before. Growing up I’ve taken classes that have taught me a little bit about the universe and its purpose, but I’ve never been given the opportunity to actually learn in detail about the stars, planets, and galaxies. When I was in High School I would read stories that would explain how the constellations came to be and I found that to be really intriguing. I am super interested and eager to see what this class has in store for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Professor Choudhary!

    I loved reading about your childhood and why you chose to teach astronomy. For me, astronomy has always been a fascinating subject. One night when looking at the stars through a friend's telescope, I saw how amazing the universe really is. It seems as though there is no end with no limits. After gazing at the stars, we looked through the telescope to see the moon. I wish I could have taken a picture of what I was seeing through the telescope. I had never in my life seen such a captivating picture as the moon. Furthermore, I also found it amusing how you relied on Leo's astrological predictions in the newspaper to your everyday life. Personally, I am a Cancer and I find astrological predictions entertaining. Although I never base the predictions to lead my everyday life. Lastly, I am looking forward to more blogs like this one!

    Jessica Nam

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Hello, This is Robert Braden Villa from ASTR 152,
    I find your Article really fascinating and interesting! I never knew LY(Light
    year) would be same as a year! Your childhood story are amazing, I could name
    stars of my deceased relatives. I am big fan of a Moon myself, I like how they
    are together with stars. My close friends and I used to lay down on big hill
    and staring at Moon and stars. The universes are still mysterious to us!
    Hopefully, eventually and we will find out about it. I can see what you saying;
    there are billion of suns, stars and galaxies. Thank you for sharing, Professor
    Choudhary"

    ReplyDelete
  22. My name is Alexia Cage from your online AST 152:
    I enjoyed the story and thank you for sharing it with us! I am really into mythology and horoscopes and to see how it relates to something educationally is always intriguing. I do not have a story as exciting as Hanumanjii eating the sun but, I used to as a kid think that the Sun and Moon went everywhere that I went. My mother whose mother (my Nanu) used to tell her to never feel alone if she was not around, to just look at the moon or the sun and to know that she was looking at the same exact one and that they were connected. My mother of course told me and I plan to tell my children. I think the stars and the galaxies connect us. I enjoyed your example of the trillion dollar example.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Edic Rangel Online Astro 152

    I really enjoyed reading your blog not only did I learn a little bit more about you but I also started to remember old times. I remember growing up I would lay down on the grass and just stare at the sky. I would try to count all the stars, but i always seemed to lose count. Growing up watching the stars was when I started learning about the constellations, how the formed, and why they formed. I started asking all these questions till I hit 5th grade. That's when I started to gain more knowledge about astronomy and got into the subject. This subject is just so mind blowing I cant wait to get more into the course. By the way loved the trillion dollar example, I really learned from it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Allison Rabelo Astronomy 152

    I wish I had stories about the stars like you do, but I do have a story about Thailand. I went to Thailand last summer on a mission trip and when I would call my mom I would be one day ahead of her, it was crazy to think that it was Saturday for me but it was still Friday for her. When I would be waking up in the morning she would be getting ready for bed. Also, when I flew back to LA I left on a Thursday morning and arrived on Thursday morning. The stars fascinate me, I could stare at them all night.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Felicita Penas ASTR 152

    This is the first time I read a blog post related to my academic career. I have
    to share that doing so facilitates learning in a more engaging way! Learning
    about your "granny's" creative story telling and how mesmerized you were when
    listening was very interesting. Perhaps, "granny's" stories and your curiosity
    inspired you to investigate what other "ripened fruits" surround us.
    I also come from a small village where everyone knows each other. In that
    village there are a few houses and lights that remain on during the night,
    which gives individuals the opportunity to admire the infinite amount of
    glowing stars. One significant childhood memory, that to this day I still
    cherish was falling asleep on my grandmothers lap. I crawled into her arms
    while she sat outside on the patio and I counted stars and soothed myself to
    sleep was one of the best feelings ever.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have always been extremely fascinated at the whole time change that happens here on Earth. It makes me feel so small and unimportant when astonishing things like that happen. I cannot seem to grasp the idea of being in this universe that is so big. I've grown up in a Christian home all my life and as a child, I have always been taught the Biblical version of how the heavens and the earth was made. Now that I am in college, I see how there are so many variations on the development of the stars and the different ideas that people have. When I was little and even up to this day, my faith allows me to accept the fact that the magnitude of our world just cannot be understood completely. My curiosity keeps me questioning about the world around us but I know we are just a tiny dot in the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Katherine Bucher ASTR 152
    This article was a great insight into the course! I have always been interested in Greek mythology and hearing some of the stories made me extremely excited for what this class will bring. I remember going to the Getty Villa with my Grandma and learning about the sculptures they had of the Greek Gods and being so fascinated. Seeing the stars and learning their stories is something I am most looking forward to. The universe is so vast, sometimes it is hard to comprehend, and I can't wait to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is a fun and insightful article into the course. I was always interested in different myths from Greek to Asian and to Americans. It is so different for each culture and just hearing the stories make me really excited to learn more about the stars and galaxies. I remember in high school, I learned about Greek mythology. How the Greek Gods would be able to control the sky. So fascinated by stories. I know the universe is big so it would take time to learn about everything but I know I will be interested as I learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Maria Gonzalez - ASTR 152

    Thank you for sharing your story - it allows us, your students to learn a little bit about you and what sparked your interest in astronomy. I find it admiring that your granny your tell you stories about your mythological characters. Growing up, my parents would use religion and other stories to keep me curious about the universe. I even remember sitting in my front porch staring at the sky at night, convinced that I could count the stars or make out images from such stars. What I find fascinating is that their is something greater than us. It is too bad that there is no current form of transportation to let us explore more of our intriguing universe. It is unfortunate that, like your article states, if we try to drive to the sun, the sun would burn out by then! I also think it is funny that the common misconception is that light years is a measurement of time but no, rather is is actually distance.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Riley Boronkay Astr 152

    Wow! Thank you for sharing this! I have been interested in Astronomy since elementary school when my class took a weekend field trip to Astrocamp in the Idlewild Mountains. Even as a fifth grader I remember being fascinated with the concepts of gravity and space- and I've always been interested in the stars and planets, although they are many, many, many miles away! To this day I keep some of the basic concepts I learned years ago with me. My family loves going out at night and trying to find the constellations and planets (if they are visible that night).

    I look forward to learning more about the topics this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This story has reminded me of my grandmother and my childhood. Interestingly enough in the summer time my siblings and I used to sleep outside as well. My grandmother used to tell us stories about the universe, stars... We all had stars of our own. I remember my grandmother always telling us to make a wish when there was shooting star so our dreams may come true.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is Elin Madadian from Astronomy 152OL

    I absolutely loved this article. While reading it, I found myself relating to all of the person experiences and it really fascinated me to see the world through someone else's eyes. I remember being in 1st grade and going to the east coast for the first time and having my mind blown at the fact that the east coast was 3 hours ahead of us here in California, and it took me a while to wrap my head around why that’s the way it was. Then later on we started having fun with that time difference. For example on New Years in Florida, we would celebrate at 12AM and then we would celebrate for the east coast again at 3AM when we knew it was finally the new year on the west coast. Also, I think it is really cool that if you stack a trillion one dollar bills the height would reach the moon. I find it fascinating how big our world actually is.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I welcome the comments from all individuals, not limited to the students only, who would like to post them.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really enjoyed your article, and it was an ideal summary of our reading material. Each culture/religion has their way of explaining the genesis of our planet. While it is safe to follow what our culture and upbringings have taught us, it is elite to look at all these myths and stories from a scientific point of view. I am a strong Christian and believe the Biblical words, but throughout my college years I have gained enormous amount of appreciation to science and I am taken away of these theories and findings scientists are able to gather to answer these unanswered questions. Although, I too, do not believe that these zodiac signs summarize who we are and that witnessing a falling star doesn’t make our wishes come true, I still believe that these beautiful myths helps us all stay connected to our planet.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is Luiza Gevshanyan from Astronomy 152 OL

    ReplyDelete
  36. I just posted a comment but I do not know if it went through. I'm skylar keck from ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  37. I was very interested with the stars and space as a young boy and it translated into my adult life. I constantly think about our universe and how large it is. It still blows my mind that it is expanding! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Joseph Wright ASTR152

    I really enjoyed hearing about your childhood and how you would listen to your grandmother telling you stories about the mythological characters. It is so funny that differences in time around the world intrigue you because I always think about this a lot, mostly when I’m lying down before bed. I remember hiking long trails with my grandpa and looking up at all the beautiful constellations and just thinking of mankind’s existence and how things could have turned out for us to be here living and breathing on this planet. I guess the biggest questions I’ve always wanted answers to are “Where did we come from?” and “Are there other life forms outside of our galaxy?” These types of questions are the reason why I believe astronomy is so interesting in the first place. As technology continues to grow vastly, humans will come closer and closer to finding that answer. I’m one of those people who believe that through technology, we can achieve anything. I found your blog to be very insightful and definitely interesting. I look forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I enjoyed the myths and the story about your childhood and thought that you had some great experiences such as sleeping under the stars in summer. It was very cool to see how you became interested in astrology. I really liked when you said that knowing about our vast universe make us a lot more knowledgeable and is humbling. I completely agree. It is hard to imagine the few things I have learned so far, and I think it really puts our individual lives into perspectives. I liked the trillion dollar example as well. That is something that I will probably remember forever.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is Chelsey Scott from Astronomy 152. I found this article very interesting. It is amazing how complex the universe we live in is. The story you told shined a new light on the galaxy and how things came to be. It is really interesting to think about how ancient civilizations thought of and viewed the cosmos before actual scientific discoveries. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Not a Hindu, but being an Indian I have heard of the same story you mentioned above about Hanuman Ji. The article was interesting, especially since it was written in first person discussing your personal experience, connection, and thoughts regarding astronomy. I can relate on a personal level to the curiosity about time, day/night, sky, etc. when traveling to a different country. Despite the jet lag experienced everytime I travel to a different country, my mind becomes confused with the question "why is it night here, but day there"...
    The article explained very well that not all cultures/religions have the same theories about one subject. Looking forward to your future blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lilliana Shvartsmann ASTR 152

    I enjoyed reading about your childhood and how it related to your interests in astronomy. By talking about your interests in the night sky versus the sky your wife was in, I could see your passion of astronomy through. Before beginning this class, I did not think of the sky in this way, however now that I have begun to learn about astronomy I do find the way the sky works very interesting. I am looking forward to hearing more stories such as this one about your childhood relations to astronomy.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hello Professor! This is Onik Alajajyan from your Astronomy 152 online class! I really enjoyed reading your article of how interest began to spur within you regarding astronomy! I wanted to point out that I as well find the Orion constellation within our night sky of interest as well! It is my favorite, and of course, it is the easiest to spot! Also, I wanted to point out that I as well don't look at Zodiac symbols with great meaning....Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Alan Arellano Online Astro 152
    I commented on this blog within the hour of receiving your notification of the blog, but I can't comment using a Google account. It just sent me to a page telling me to speak to my domain whatever, and deleted the entire comment with it.
    Like I mentioned before, I grew up in a Mexican household, so I would always be told myths and legends of both Mayan and Aztec. One that particularly stuck with me was about the rabbit on the moon. While I cannot become an astronaut and seek to find the rabbit a long time away from here, the fact that you were able to pursue your dreams and make many discoveries bring me so much joy. What you have to say will never be disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi, Professor. This is Lian Liu from your Astronomy 152 Online class.
    This blog is so interesting and attractive. I come from China. There is also has many mythological stories.According to legend, a woman called Chang-e and her husband had a pack of elixir. If someone ate it, he/she could go to heaven like immortal. One day, a bad guy wanted to grab this elixir, Chang-e in order to avoided this elixir was robbed. So she ate it and went to heaven. But she would never live with her husband. It is just a legend, but it is fascinating to me. Also I like your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Brittney Giddens ASTR 152OLMarch 7, 2014 at 9:13 PM

    I thought this was and interesting article I love the way astronomy in your early life has affected you later on. I also think that it was interesting how the stars mean different things in different cultures. The stories behind the stars that I know about Orion's belt is based off of Greek mythology and is about a warrior so great he was placed in the stars for all of eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Karen Khan ASTR 152May 2, 2014 at 2:53 PM

    Hello Professor I found this article so interesting. I think its great how you grew up with these stories and how you keep them alive and even use them to teach. I never thought of astronomy as more than just knowing where stars and planets are located but this blog has sparked my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Natalie Jimenez ASTR152May 6, 2014 at 9:06 PM

    Hello Professor!

    I found this blog to be very interesting. I found myself relating to a couple of your views and experiences. As you mentioned, I too have always found it fascinating how some of the world can be in daylight while the other part is experiencing the darkness of the night. I have traveled outside the country a couple times and have been under a different time zone, three hour difference, and every time I would call back to talk to my parents I would always find it interesting how I could be outside looking at the moon and stars and they were still within the daytime. I have always find it to be relaxing to go out and look at the stars since I was a kid, I would look out and try to make pictures of what I was seeing and try to count them all, but as we know that is impossible. That always led me to think about how massive the universe really is and how we are such a small portion of it. There are so many things out there that are much larger than us, things that we know about and things that may still be a mystery. It is both amazing and slightly frightening to think about everything else that is outside of Earth, it just really gets you thinking just how incredible it all is. Your example of piling up a trillion dollar bills just to reach the moon amazed me for the simple fact that that is such a massive number and it just relates to the distance from the Earth to the Moon! This blog just generally furthered my amazement with the size and works of the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hello Professor,
    This blog was very interesting to me. I really enjoyed the section based on horoscopes. Growing up my friends and family spent a great deal of time focusing on what everyone's zodiac sign was and how that would affect their lives. I too read the horoscopes everyday and would try to change my life to make sure that my day went as the horoscope predicted it to be. After graduating from high school I participated in a camping trip and at that time I was told that the zodiac signs were false. It came as a great surprise to me because I always thought it was true. Although I feel like people that share the same zodiac sign have some of the same characteristics and personalities, the predictions that are provided are false. Like you mentioned in your article the information provided by horoscopes is no difference than advice from a family member or friend. This blog just single handedly made me believe that it is fake even more.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Duong Sam
    Astronomy 152

    Hello Professor,

    This was a very intriguing blog. I never really thought about it in a way that we are tiny particles compared to other planets and the continuous, unknown space. It amazes me that on this earth there are even more tiny things roam on here, things that we are yet still finding. I was also once intrigued about the Greek mythology and their gods such as Poseidon; the Greek God of the sea was able to control anything that consisted in the sea and the water itself. Zodiac signs are interesting to learn about; cancer, scorpion, leo, etc. I knew that horoscopes were false from my psychology course; pseudoscience, but the way the stars align and how it got its name was fascinating to learn.

    Thank you for your insightful blog, professor.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Growing up, the difference in the U.S.’s time zones would frequently conjure a curious befuddlement within me. I found the comparison you made between living your life by predictions or by science is an interesting one. The stories your grandmother told informed the way you view morality within the world while physics gives a balance to a chaotic world. Physics will never change; it will always work as it does throughout the universe, even on tiny objects. I finally understand why a particle changes when viewed, due to your explanation. Light waves are pushing the particles being monitored out of the way. I also found the fact about a trillion one-dollar bills reaching the moon to be a truly fun fact. It makes me wonder how many bills of any kind are in circulation right now? Would it even come close to a trillion actual bills?

    ReplyDelete
  52. Allan Chan
    ASTR 152
    Being an individual who constantly looks at the sky, I would always think to myself, "What am i looking at?" I could never pinpoint any constellations, but I did always wonder why were some brighter than others. I enjoyed how the anecdote covered that and really gave an excellent introduction for astronomy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good early start. Use google sky to explore the constellations. It is very good resource. Also, do the "star count" assignment. That is the real test to verify if you can identify constellations in the sky. Have fun.

      Delete
  53. I do not know much about this topic of astronomy and have not experienced the different things that you have discussed within this writing. I feel as though that will allow for me to learn allot and takeaway many different aspects and major points from this class, since it is all new to me. I am very anxious and openly excited to come in to this class this upcoming semester.

    -Clavacia Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clavacia, Here, I wanted to give you a feel of what we do not know in our early days and later enrich ourselves through learning, reasoning and thinking process. I am hopping to give you a flavor of this process in this course.

      Delete
  54. Caitlen Diab from ASTR 152 :)

    Hello Professor! This article is so great. I loved reading about your experiences as a child and when you were first introduced to astronomy. I think it was very nice that your grandmother was able to do that. Thank you so much for sharing that.
    I love that you mention how you were able to see all the stars from your village. Whenever my family and I were able to visit Syria, we would also be able to see all of the stars from our village. It was so nice to not have so many city lights on, and to be able to see the sky as it really is. Plus, the power would go out so many times while we were in Syria; sometimes in the middle of the night! It was the best time to go outside and gaze at the stars. It was warm enough to sleep outside, so we would bring out blankets and pillows. We had to be cautious of the hyenas, of course.
    Your first experience and introduction to astronomy as a kid reminded me of when I was a little girl. I first fell in love with astronomy when my elementary school had a "starry night", where many people brought their telescopes out to the yard. When I first looked through the telescope and saw the moon, I looked at my mother and asked, "Is that real?"
    Ever since then, I've been in love with astronomy. While most kids would ask to go to Disneyland, I would ask to go to the Griffith Observatory. It was much better than Disneyland, in my opinion. For a very long time, up until last year actually, I was so convinced that I would grow up to work for NASA and the JPL. My decisions have changed but no one knows what the future has in store!
    I am so excited to learn so much more about astronomy. Aside from the "Did You Know?" facts, I know that there is so much to learn and I am very much looking forward to taking it all in and having more knowledge of the universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitien, I am glad you liked the blog. The idea is to tell you how long it takes one to make scientific knowledge one's own. When it is made, one liberates from ignorance and life becomes better. Astronomy is such a subject. It needs some mathematics and physics, but we shall learn them as we proceed. I hope you will enjoy the course.

      Delete
    2. Raymundo Ruvalcaba
      ASTR 152

      It is very interesting to see how you talk about astronomy from the myths you learned as a child. How the god swallowed the sun then spit it out. Many cultures far back in time used there own myths to explain things of the world happening around them. To me the Aztec people were one of the most interesting when it came to astronomy and their rituals. They would sacrifice people to their sun god to continue the process of night and day this to them was a fact. Now we have physics and math to explain what we know, like you said," one liberates from ignorance and life becomes better". We believe what we do because it can be proven to us, and until someone proves what we know today wrong it will remain a fact.

      Delete
  55. Hayley Bradford
    Astr152

    I think that the most intriguing aspect of astronomy is how large our entire universe really is even though we can't see all of it. But yet we still take comfort in the fact that we can see similar constellations and their stories are passed down from generation to generation. I believe that constellations and their myths help us understand the universe a little when we are children. The whole concept of what the universe is is too complex for kids to completely comprehend, yet it is still something that children are very curious about when they are young and see shapes in the sky. I think that the myths that accompany constellations are very important to society as a whole, but I am very excited to learn more about what astronomy is truly about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Mythical stories about constellations make a child curious about the sky. If one tries to know more, it will help gain scientific insight.

      Delete
  56. Savannah Voorhies from ASTR 152
    I really loved this article especially because of the idea of creation. I have always loved hearing these kinds of stories and legends, sadly I have none of my own but this really opened my eyes, and made me think of who led me in the direction to be a Kinesiology major. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked. Keep engaged, you will learn astronomy that will make you smart.

      Delete
  57. I really loved how you incorporated yourself into the field that we will be learning and demonstrating your own interest in it as well. I find it amazing that the universe can be so large that we can't even see it without the usage of technology. It surprises me that it is constantly changing and new discoveries are being made each day. I haven't studied the universe since 8th grade and can't wait to relearn and expand my knowledge on this topic because it is quite a fascinating one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please follow the news forum to learn about current discoveries.

      Delete
  58. Adrian Ruvalcaba
    Astr 152
    I enjoyed reading your article especially about the astrology because I read mine everyday, I'm a Sagittarius. While reading I haven't really questioned on why the west and east coast have different sun settings being in the same country. As well as the 1 trillions dollars touching the moon that would be very fascinating to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to show that astrological predictions are not real.

      Delete
  59. I found this article interesting due to the fact that many people believe in "predictions" made by the zodiac signs. You mentioned that the patterns in the sky made by stars seen today would not have been seen thousands of years ago. Therefore, I am assuming that also applies to the zodiac. I look forward to learning about astronomy due to the fact that we are little specks of dust compared to the universe. I would also like to be able to recognize the stars in our sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in the sky made by stars seen today would not have been seen thousands of years ago. Therefore, I am assuming that also applies to the zodiac.

      >> Yes You are right. They apply to Zodiac also.

      Delete
  60. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Not only I found this article aesthetically pleasing to the mind, but also helpful in terms of basic knowledge. For instance, I had forgotten that the size of a galaxy is 80,000 Ly. This article was definitely helpful to refresh my memory. I'd like to share one of my childhood experiences. I was born and raised in the smallest country of the Central America region: El Salvador. When I was a child, I used to go outside and see the stars at night. It was a sky full of bright stars. On my first night living in LA, I went outside and looked up above to see the stars. I noticed that I could barely see a couple of stars. All of that beauty that I used to look at was gone. So I went inside and researched about it. That's when I learned that the city lights here in LA and in any large city create a large amount of night pollution, which affects our ability to see the stars. Overall, I enjoyed reading about the myths and legends that your grandmother used to tell you. I will definitely share these stories with my relatives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall perform a simple exercise to measure sky brightness later.

      Delete
  62. Hello Professor,
    This blog was just simply interesting, especially on the way how you described a trillion dollar bills piling up over another just to reach the moon from earth. I found myself relating to the part where you talked about how one side of the world can be daylight and the other half is in darkness at the same time but yet we all still live under the same sky. I enjoyed reading about your childhood and how you mentioned sleeping under the stars in the summer. Which reminded me when I went up to the mountains during the summer for camping, where we would bring chairs out to sit outside at night and just look up at the night sky. That was also the first time when I experienced seeing so many stars up in the night sky with my naked eyes which makes me think that there are many more things out there to for us to discover and find out. I am looking forward to learn what astronomy is about.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hello,
    Your introduction offered unique and original outlook at astronomy, which I found to be very captivating. Astronomy, to me, challenges the limits of human imagination because of the great distances and sizes involved with planets, stars, etc. There is also a sense of mystery involved that isn't found in other sciences. Everybody, from children to elders, are all curious about what is out there. Whether it's intelligent life or Earth 2.0, the possibilities are endless.
    My personal fascination with astronomy originates from when I was a child, but never truly learned everything about the subject that I would have liked to. Through this course, I look forward to gaining the knowledge to fuel my reattained curiosity.

    -Arjun Mudhar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. Knowing how the things in the sky are governed by the same set of physical laws that govern the earth is central to this course. I hope you will enjoy the class.

      Delete
  64. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Hello! My name is Autumn Ross! I am currently majoring in Biochemistry. I really like the mythical story you told. It definitely helps put into perspective just how important the sun is in our solar system. It is incredible to think that outer space has such a vast amount of stars and planets. I used to live in Frazier Park in a little mountain town. Because Frazier is so isolated from big cities, nights are very dark and allow you to see stars in the sky easily. The whole sky seems lit up by all stars, it is very beautiful and very tranquil. I always loved to go outside at night and get lost in the stars above. Unfortunately, I now live in the city and can barely see any stars in the sky, so I'm pretty excited about the google sky program! Space is such a fascinating thing. It seems so empty, yet it is so full of stars and planets governed by the laws of physics. Since I study biochemistry, I find it fascinating to see how the laws of physics and chemistry are applied on a more macro scale and how that affects the earth and living things on it. I am really looking forward to learning about astronomy in this class.

    -Autumn Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biochemistry is now used by astronomers to study astrobiology. That will be our last lecture. Hope you will enjoy the class.

      Delete
  66. After reading this really blog really made me wish that I was taking this course in class instead of one-line. Such that, just from briefly understanding the basics of astronomy and the understanding on why you decided to get a degree in this subject, made me wish I was sitting in class, taking notes, gathering in small groups with my colleagues, taking short quizzes and/or tests and viewing powerpoint slides. This will be my second time taking an one-line course and since I don't remember much about stars, planets and etc. I am going to hope for an excelling grade. Getting back to subject, during the course of reading your blog I came across a lot of interesting and fascinating information that makes me eager in knowing more. When something sparks my attention it is very hard for myself to not anticipate for more and more. In other words… I’m anticipating for more wonderful information about astronomy, how things work out the way that they do, how things come about and whats the resolutions to most situations. Notably, I decided to take your online course because I have heard wonderful comments and remarks about your teaching and how you have a strong passion for astronomy. After, reading the first paragraphs from your blog I can already see how most things that I was told are true.

    As previously stated, I wish that I was taking your course somewhere on campus in a class, but what is done has already been done and I'm grateful overall to be learning this very interesting topic. I have taken Geo101 and Geography 150 and by far this is the most intriguing class. I really enjoyed reading your blog, and I feel as though I was able to not only learn about the brief description of astronomy but about you as well. The blog surprisingly felt as if I was reading a book, which is really good, because now I will be looking forward in purchasing a copy of your work if you were looking in publishing a book. Also, I really enjoyed reading and learning a little bit about your childhood and how your grandmother had an impact on the career that you decided to achieve in. My grandmother also has a very important impact on my life as well and I do apologize for your loss. On the other hand, I'm glad that I ended up taking this course because I can only imagine how much information I'm going to inherit. I'm going to be vey blunt and mention how much I dislike science as a whole, because I never had any interest in them what-so-ever, but I can see that I will extremely eager to learn about the introduction of astronomy and the cool facts that will come along with taking this course. Since this is an on-line class it would be cool if you continue on incorporating more information about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you are taking interest in the subject. I think this online class also interesting and useful I shall have some activities to expose you in some real research using internet resources. I really liked reading your writeup.

      Delete
  67. Hi Professor,

    I enjoyed reading your blog post and found it quite interesting. I have never taken an Astronomy course, however, I am most excited that I finally have the time to take one. I have always been interested in space and the universe; I have watched every space/universe documentary on Netflix and always watch programs on Discover and National Geographic if it involves space!

    I look forward to learning and relearning everything I can in your class!

    Best,

    Erick Fernandez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erick, welcome to the class. Hope you will enjoy.

      Delete
  68. Hi Professor!

    After reading this blog post, I am very excited for this class. As an accounting major, it's rare to for me to take non business courses so it is nice to get a break from the usual and learn about the world in a new way. Overall, I enjoyed the article and the personal anecdote that was incorporated throughout your writing. I found it funny and certainly agree, that zodiac signs cannot really predict what will actually happen in our futures. I also found it interesting to learn about how a star that appears bright to us might not be as bright as those further out in comparison. It is still so strange for me to process that besides countries and continents, there is something much further from me and that is space! So for now, I consider the sky a mythical creature. I am looking forward to learning more about astronomy this semester.

    -Luciana Moreno

    ReplyDelete
  69. Yanin Peaches OrtegaJanuary 26, 2016 at 9:11 PM

    Hello Professor!

    I found your article very interesting because since I was younger I learned about the solar systems and the galaxy but like most people, I was curious to know if there was something much larger than I could ever imagine. The comparison of distance with 1 trillion dollars makes the distance much more realistic. At some point I thought that anything outside of earth was something I didn't have to worry about but it was because it scared me to know that I was smaller than an ant to the universe. I also never knew the significance of the zodiac signs or where it all came from but now it makes sense although magazine zodiac predictions are not too reliable. I am excited to learn more.

    I look forward to more exploration of the sky!

    Best Regards,

    -Yanin Peaches Ortega

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need not be scared. This is what it is. We need to be humbled.

      Delete
  70. I have never taken an Astrology course and have never really looked into it. Therefore I lack the actual understanding of the material. However I really enjoyed your blog. I do not have any childhood memories that include Astrology stories that I can recall or i have not made the connection. Which made yours much more intriguing.

    I especially liked the trillion dollar example it gave me a great perspective on how big our universe actually is. I hope to learn about the about the universe and all of its hidden aspects.

    Richard Burson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not astrology course. ASTRONOMY. Through this course, you will learn that astrological predictions are baseless.

      Delete
  71. This was a very interesting article. I have never taken an Astronomy class, but I wanted to take this one because I wanted to know more about the universe. I really enjoyed this article and your childhood memories of your grandma. The trillion one dollar bill calculation is very interesting. I am interested in how the calculations work when measuring star brightness and the suns beams and all the other cool calculations. I look forward to learning all these stuff in your class.

    Aram Teroganesyan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brightness scale is learnt here, which will be used later in the course.

      Delete
  72. Hi Professor! I found this article very interesting because I have always been fascinated by stars and the fact that there are so many things in our universe that have not yet been discovered. Sometimes, I rest on the hammock in my backyard and stare up at the night sky, trying to locate different constellations such as Orion and The Big Dipper. I was surprised that the height of a trillion dollars in one dollar bills stacked up would reach the moon because I hadn't given much thought to calculations but am excited to expand my knowledge on the subject. I also related to your story about reading astrological predictions because I too, read my horoscope from time to time, even though I know it isn't very reliable but fun nonetheless. Overall, this article was fascinating and I am excited to learn more.
    -Jessica Ovsepian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch for the Big Dipper orientation change over night.

      Delete
  73. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  74. I enjoyed your mythical family stories that you opened with, and I laughed at your comment about the zodiac signs and seeking a better one in the newspaper because I still do this today (yes, knowing there is no basis). These concepts of stars and planets and the vastness of their size is very intimidating to me, but I look forward to the content.
    -Katlin Moody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this blog, you should learn the magnitude scale in last paragraph. We shall use this mathematical formula later.

      Delete
  75. Hello professor. I can relate to the part where you stated that you would get depressed when reading the astrological predictions in the newspaper. I too would do the same and read my astrological prediction every day, when I came across a negative prediction I would not feel excited to go on with my day. I kept thinking that I would have a bad day because of my zodiac predictions. Now a days I do not read my astrological prediction and I look forward to having a great day every day. I found it interesting where you said that you would look at the stars and recognize constellations. I personally look up at the sky sometimes and I am not able to recognize any constellations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use Google Sky constellation map to look for the pattern. I am glad you like it. Astrological predictions are not real.

      Delete
  76. Hello Professor!
    My name is Maria Figueroa.
    I personally haven't taken any astronomy courses, so I only have basic knowledge about the universe, but this articles was definitely beyond helpful to learn more and expand my knowledge about the universe. Also I didn't know that the size of a galaxy was 80,000 Ly and thanks to this information now I know. Also, the fact that you mention those stories from your childhood reminded me of the stories that my grandfather used to tell me when I was little and used to look at the sky at night. In addition, when I was about five years old, I used to go out at night and count the stars. One day my grandfather told me to look for a group of seven stars and if I was able to find one I needed to make a wish. According to him the wish was going to come true. So your childhood stories brought up those wonderful moments when I used to entertain myself by looking at the sky and count stars. Also, all the information that you provided in this article was definitely helpful, and now I am more excited to learn more about what Astronomy is about and expand my knowledge about the universe.
    Regards.
    Maria Figueroa. Astronomy 152

    ReplyDelete
  77. Hello Professor,

    I found this blog really interesting for many reasons. One being that I have no knowledge of what the universe has to offer us. By the looks of it it has much to offer. I was amazed on how the shinier a star is, in reality it mean it is the dimmest. Also how it can be night time in one place but day time in an another. I knew that already but just knowing how we have one sun that rotates fascinates me. Growing up my family has been into zodiac signs but I myself believe they are all myths. Myths because no one can really know what can happen in that day but keeps things interesting as if what if it does happen. I look forward to reading more!

    -Jazzlin Hernandez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good. Narrate some beliefs related to astronomy if you can.

      Delete
  78. Hello Professor,

    I appreciate how you mentioned your granny and how she would foretell these stories to you. I can personally relate to this, because my abuela would also tell me stories about characters. Specifically she would talk about Aztec Gods, one that I am quite fond of is Huitzilopochtli, a warrior, and the sun god. In addition, I found it quite interesting when you mentioned the fact of, "you place trillion of one dollar bills one over the other, the height would be the distance to the moon!!" also how on the magnitude scale the more negative a star is the brighter. After reading this article, I am anxious to expand my knowledge in regards to Astronomy.

    Francisco Facio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Write more stories if you can. I am interested.

      Delete
  79. Jocelyn medrano astr152
    Hello Professor,
    I enjoined reading you childhood story and how the universe became an interest to you. After reading this i have become more fascinated with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. with the stars and universe. I liked the example that you use with the trillion one dollars sums the distance to the moon.

      Delete
  80. Heng Shen astr152
    Hello professor,
    This blog is very interesting. I fact, I just know a little bit basic knowledge about the stars and universe. But I enjoined reading your story, because I really like to stare at stars. I am a Chinese, my country has many different stories about the stars and universe. Such as fairy live with the jade hare in the moon. Even though I didn't believe them, I wished they were true like you wished where Gulliver encounters lilliput and giants. Also, I really like the trillion dollar example! Now I want to learn more knowledge from this class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heng, please share some stories. That will be nice.

      Delete
  81. Michael Yamashita astro152
    Unfortunately I do no have any interesting stories to tell, however I have always been interested in the universe and space itself. I have watched various lectures by Michio Kaku on the topic of the universe and found it extremely interesting. I look forward to further exploring space and everything it has to offer that is invisible to the nakekd

    ReplyDelete
  82. Hello Professor,

    I enjoyed reading your story it was really interesting and informative. I never would have thought the height of a trillion dollars in one dollar bills would be able to reach up to the moon or be equivalent to the distance of the moon. Also, my zodiac sign is a leo too! I used to look at the predictions for my sign as well but I only looked at it out of curiosity to see what it would say. However, I am excited to learn more from your course!

    ReplyDelete
  83. Hello there! Thank you for posting an interesting blog to read professor. I appreciated reading this because I got to understand you a bit better and I also got to learn some cool new facts. I am looking forward to reading more. I thought it was particularly interesting when you mentioned a trillion one dollar bills stacked one over another would make a height the distance to the moon. Absolutely fascinating and makes me curious. I always cherish moments when I get out of Los Angeles and get to view a star filled sky. This class is making me want to do such a thing right now. Infact, I have a telescope that I could try to figure out!
    -Jessica Warren

    ReplyDelete
  84. Hello professor.
    I really enjoyed reading this blog. I was enjoying reading your stories and I liked how you express the universe. I learned some interesting facts while reading your blog. And I am exciting to learn more from your course.

    -Yeseul Kim (astr 152 online)

    ReplyDelete
  85. Yajaira Tiscareno (ASTR 152)
    After reading this blog it brought back a couple of my childhood memories. During the summer, my parents and I would always go to our backyard and lay down on our lawn. I remember trying to count all the stars, but would loose count before I could get an exact number. Me and my dad would play a game that involved finding the brightest star. To this day I enjoy staring at the sky and just wondering what else is up there that I can’t see. I found it fascinating how a star that looks bright might not be really bright. I would always think that the star that looked brightest was in fact the brightest compared to the rest. After just by getting a small taste of what this class is about has me excited. I hope to better my knowledge on this amazing subject that has a lot to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Professor,
    Although I am a Criminology Major, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could relate to this article. I've always been fascinated with the sky and, in particular, stars. Living in the city, it becomes hard to look up at the sky and see it lit bright with stars. Three weeks ago I was on a beach in Tel Aviv, Israel at night and I was so amazed by the amount of stars I saw in the sky. Among other things, I was appreciative that I got to enjoy it. Although I was fascinated, I also entered deep thought as I wondered how small us humans are in comparison to the worlds phenomenons; the ocean and the sky are the 2 that seem never ending to me. It was reassuring to know that I was not the only one with these thoughts and that there are professionals attempting to uncover the world's many, beautiful, wonders.
    - Chelsea Zaragoza

    ReplyDelete
  87. Thank you for posting this - A very interesting introduction to the course! I particularly enjoyed the creationism story at the beginning as told by your granny. I took a mythology course several years back and studied many many different stories of mythological explanations of the creation of our universe (cosmogony) - with the sun and stars commonly being the "starting" points and are commonly given human characteristic qualities. Your experiences with the zodiac and how astrology dictates that stars and planet alignment have influence over our lives and personality is similar to my own - just fun and games. However, a friend once asked me, "the moon influences the tides of the ocean, does it not? Well the human body is 60% water, so is it so far fetched to think that the moon and planets do not have at least some influence over our own bodies?" Interesting question, I thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might post some stories related to creation of the universe. That will be interesting for many of us.

      Delete
  88. Elizabeth Narayan ASTR 152
    This is really an incredible article! When I was a kid (actually till now) I will lay flat on the ground and look up at the sky. It is so scary to know that there is so much space in space! I would get so worked up just thinking about how much stars I can see, but they are so far! I'm glad you wrote about the Hindu stories. I'm Guyanese with Indian heritage and I'm always trying to read books about the Hindu gods. It gets a bit confusing at times, but your Hanumanji story was simple to understand. Thank you! I'm looking forward to more of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  89. Mayra Torres (ASTR 152 Online)
    This article was a great introduction about the knowledge we are going to learn about this semester. I enjoyed reading the stories your grandmother told you as a child. I also learned new facts from this article. I look forward on learning more about this course.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Ryan Maraun from ASTR 152 online
    I really enjoyed reading this article and I cant wait to learn more about our universe in this class. Also I am a leo like you and I still read my horoscope every day. I find it really interesting that stars and constellations can be used to tell stories. I look forward to learning more about the subject of astronomy this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  91. Hello Professor,

    My name is Prithvi Govindan, and I am very excited to begin my very first astronomy class. I found this article very insightful and interesting for many different reasons. The stories your grandmother shared with you were sound so enjoyable. I too read my horoscope everyday and read my family's because my father, brother and I are all the same horoscope - pieces. I look forward to learning more about universe, constellations, stars and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  92. Ashley Castellanos
    Astr 152
    Hello Professor, I was really fastinated by your blog post. It amazed me on how the height of a one trillion dollars would be the distance to the moon. I remember when I was younger my mother and I would get a blanket and sit on the grass and we would watch the stars. We would connect the stars to make shapes and animals from our imaginations. I look forward to learning more about the stars and universe. I have already learned so much during week one, I simply cannot wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  93. Nancy Moreno ASTR 152
    After reading this blog, it reminded me of a class I had in 5th grade, well it was mostly a short time allotted our teacher had set aside to teach us about astronomy. I remember learning about constellations and how Great Dipper constellation was my favorite. Your childhood stories remind me of the wonders they can do to a child eager to learn more. Obviously, it has been a while, so I look forward to refreshing my mind on the aspects of space and about learning more astronomy.

    ReplyDelete
  94. Grace Doyle
    Astr 152
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I liked the way you used stories from your childhood to explain concepts in our readings. I've always been interested in astronomy ever since summer camp, when I learned about the many stories about Greek heroes. I know this class is more about the actual science of astronomy but your blog post reminded me why I wanted to take this class in the first place. I look forward to learning more facts like how the height of a one trillion dollars would be the distance to the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  95. David Reyes
    ASTR 152

    Hello Professor,
    Your blog was quick to catch my attention when you explained that there are many suns and galaxies that we are unaware of. It is interesting and makes me very curious to know, how far we have came to developing technology to see how far it is we can see into the universe. When you explained how you would sleep outside in elementary school and look at the stars at night i could relate. I recently have been going around hiking trails at night here in Northridge and local areas to look at stars at night and they never seem to disappoint. The one place i can not forget were the stars in Malibu beach. I was with a couple of friends about a month ago and we were headed to Malibu beach. It was around 10pm, and once we stepped out of the car, the stars were shining more than I had ever seen, and they did not seem far from us. Till this day i still can not find views around the sf valley were the stars were as great as Malibu. I am excited fro this course and cant wait to see how many of my questions can be answered.

    ReplyDelete
  96. Hello Professor,
    I found your blog to be very interesting and informative. I did not know that a trillion dollars in ones stacked on top of each other is the same length as Earth to the sun. I also enjoyed reading about some of the stories your grandmother told you. I have always been interested in constellations and the universe as well as space. I just never had the opportunity to research or learn as much about it as I have wanted to. I am excited to take your class and learn about all these things.

    - Justin Toerner astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  97. "Its nice to see the curiosity that brings the mind to continuous vast of space. Without our curiosity we would've never built the space station, discovered planets, or successfully put a man on the moon. I never heard of the trillion dollar idea so that was new to me. I hope that every lecture blog i continue to read will bring in a new idea regarding about space. I always had been a huge astronomical fan and love the idea of something "out there" besides our planet."-Jacqueline Hernandez

    Reading about how you became fascinated with the universe and stars was interesting. I always wanted to learn more about space and the universe. One thing I would like to learn from this class is the different constellations. I feel like each time I look into the sky I see something different. The only thing that I'm able to recognize is the big dipper.
    -Raymond Banting

    ReplyDelete
  98. "Its nice to see the curiosity that brings the mind to continuous vast of space. Without our curiosity we would've never built the space station, discovered planets, or successfully put a man on the moon. I never heard of the trillion dollar idea so that was new to me. I hope that every lecture blog i continue to read will bring in a new idea regarding about space. I always had been a huge astronomical fan and love the idea of something "out there" besides our planet."-Jacqueline Hernandez

    Reading about how you became fascinated with the universe and stars was interesting. I always wanted to learn more about space and the universe. One thing I would like to learn from this class is the different constellations. I feel like each time I look into the sky I see something different. The only thing that I'm able to recognize is the big dipper.
    -Raymond Banting

    ReplyDelete
  99. Annabelle Hussain - ASTR 152

    I really enjoyed reading this article because it reminded me of when I was a little girl and I camped outside in my backyard with my cousins just so that we could go outside of the tent in the middle of the night to look at stars. As a girl, I used to connect the dots and make pictures in my head. I feel like this course will help me to understand the universe as best as we could, and educate me. Now when I look at the stars I will be looking for more than just pictures, I will be looking for greater things. Something that caught my eye in the article was of course how far the moon was from us and how it takes 8 minutes for light to travel to us from the sun. I look forward to expanding my knowledge with these blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you can never see the present sun. It is always 8 minutes later!

      Delete
  100. Amy Han - ASTR 152

    I really loved that you tied your life story to the astronomy lesson and linked them together, sometimes reading certain lessons can be dry but you made it really fun to read and i loved reading about the stories your granny told you!
    My favorite part of your blog post was the part about apparent brightness and how you looked for the brightest star in the sky when she died. I do that too. I like to think that when i look up into the sky, the brightest star is my grandfather(who recently passed) watching over me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. The brightness scale, as you see is logarithmic scale. It is a bit complex mathematics, but I have a simple assignment later to learn this.

      Delete
  101. Hi Professor,
    I still can't wrap my mind around how 1 trillion dollar bills can actually be the same distance to the moon. Trying to visualize it was very interesting. I actually always thought that the universe was really small as a kid. I thought that the stars in the sky were actually the same size as they appeared to me. When I first started to go the California Science Center as a kid, I was completely floored about learning how far away the stars are. The biggest curiosity to me honestly though about astronomy are black holes. I still can't wrap my head around the concept. I occasionally like to go on YouTube and just look at documentaries about black holes because I still to this day find it so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  102. Hello Professor,

    I found your article to be very interesting because of the way you describe how a happy memory can lead to a career. How your grandmother's stories help realize that is more outside of this Earth. I found out I wanted to pursue a career in History was when I saw the movie, "The Mummy". The movie is about Evee, a librarian, who goes on an adventure with Rick, a war prisoner, and Jonathan, her brother, in Egypt to a sacred place to find treasures. Evee was not there for the treasures, but for the history of the place and the ancient artifacts. i have always found history to be fascinating, but never thought about a career in it until I saw the movie. The movie made me realize that I wanted to become like Evee, a historian, and learn more about the past and how it effects the present and the future. Since astronomy is part of history, I am glad that I will get to learn more about space.

    -Erika Pina, Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  103. Maria Camacho
    ASTR 152
    Good Afternoon Professor,
    As a child my mom used to tell me the brightest star in the sky was a loved one who had passed. So being a naive kid I would sit on my porch and look at the night sky searching for the brightest star, or in that case, my grandma. Of course now I know that stars are just balls of hydrogen in our galaxy. But once in a while I catch myself talking to the brightest star as if I was a kid again. Now this article was very interesting. I obviously can't ignore the trillion dollars to the moon fact; that;s something I'm going to bring up if I'm ever in an awkward situation.
    And I knew our universe was vast and magnificent but I didn't know it was THAT colossal. Maybe learning more about it will convince me that somewhere in the universe there's aliens who have found their own niche out there as we have found ours here, on earth :)

    ReplyDelete
  104. Hello Professor,
    Thank you for sharing with us about your childhood memories. Also, it is interesting that 1 trillion dollars can be the same distance to the moon. I remember as a child, I would look out the window in the car and see the stars and the moon and say its so beautiful. It is amazing how we are part of the universe and how big it is. I remember as a child, I would read Albert Einstein's books and what grab my attention was the black holes in our universe are extraordinary.
    - Melissa Ramirez Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  105. I enjoyed reading this post because the universe always seems like such a mysterious place. I guess that is why we have stories told to us to make some kind of sense out of it when we are little. I can relate to your the stories your Grandma told you because when I was growing up I used wonder about the stars in the sky and my mom and dad would tell us stories too. When I was little one night my family drove up to a very dark spot in the mountains so we could watch a meteor shower. My father used to point out the north star as a guide so you could always figure out direction. My mother showed me the big and little dippers. One night after a baseball game and we were packing up and the lights on the field went out we looked up and saw shooting stars. I love to look up to see the stars on a clear night but I really don’t know too much about them.

    I have has a fascination with the evening sky and just the concept of the vastness of the galaxy and how small we are in relationship to the great universe we are a part of. When you discuss the relationships of how far things are aways from each other it just drives home that idea. I am interested in what the sky holds and I do understand why we tell stories to make it seem like something we can relate to. I am looking forward to learning more about astronomy so I can have a better knowledge of the universe and gaining a better perspective of it.

    Alexander Weiss Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  106. I really like knowing your background and connection to the study material. I find your fascination with the universe very interesting and similar to my own. I also find it fascinating taking the incredible technology in our everyday life and understainding that the laws of physics that apply to the technology also apply to the celestial objects in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  107. I really enjoyed reading this blog post. Your writing style makes it very easy to follow along and enjoy. The passion you have for what you are speaking about is what makes it so special. I really enjoyed the stories you shared. I also enjoyed how you reminded us how amazing and how big the universe really is. It is indeed quite humbling to know I am a small part of such a huge thing.

    Kerrie Almore ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  108. Very intersting how your train trip for your education took such a long time. I enjoyed your blog very much. The amut of sky and landscape you must have seen on the train must have been beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  109. Kristoffer VillabrozaJanuary 31, 2016 at 5:59 PM

    Hello Professor,
    Your blog post was very interesting and informative. It helped me understand your passion and level of learning you have for our seemingly endless universe. I do not share the same passion as you do, however I am open minded and willing to learn about astronomy. I am an accountancy major, and I cannot see how accountancy correlates with astronomy; unless we are talking about the business aspect of it. I have always wondered what was beyond Earth, our solar system, our galaxy, and what was in our universe ever since elementary school. I fantasized about “area 51” and the whole government conspiracy about aliens. I did flips under water, imagining I was an astronaut in zero gravity. I took a liking to science fiction novels and movies regarding space and aliens. Most of these were created through my childish fantasies, in which I never really took dedication to pursue. I have nothing against astronomy, in fact the theories and science involved really fascinates me. This may be the “sci-fi” child within me, but it is also nice to think that maybe there are inhabitable planets out there where we can experiment and possibly expand to. Also the probability of other life forms outside of Earth seems really cool; possibly dangerous, but still cool nonetheless.

    Kristoffer Villabroza ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  110. As child I was very curious about the sky and the stars and if there was anything beyond it. All I ever learned about our universe what brief information they give you in elementary and middle school. I always wanted to learn more which is why I decided to take this class. Im very excited to learn more about outer space.

    -Brenda Montiel ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  111. After reading this interesting article about the stars, galaxies and universe which starts from your childhood memories, I was taken back to my childhood memories when I insisted my parents to sleep in balcony to count the stars. My parents answered my questions with patience but they did not know what to say about the distance of stars from the earth and where is the end of this universe. The people lived in old days which create stories about universe, stars, and galaxies could not imagine human can explore and search the biggest observable universe with10^27 yottameter which is 1 with 24 zeros with 100 trillion stars. The numbers for me as an accountant major is crazy. I am very excited to learn and explore about this fascinating science

    ReplyDelete
  112. It's interesting that astronomy is one of the oldest scientific fields of study due to how obviously fascinating that night sky and even our own sun and moon are.
    Many ancient peoples attributed stellar phenomena to the workings of mythological beings and it's easy to understand why they thought that because the distances and sizes involved are so huge as to defy human comprehension.
    Even calendar-keepers and scholars probably couldn't have imagined that stars are actually massive balls of nuclear fusion.It's interesting that
    ancient peoples attributed stellar phenomena to the workings of
    Pinpoints of light peeking out from holes in the stellar veil.

    -Phil Jiang ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  113. Hello Professor Debi,
    I enjoyed the childhood stories you gave us because it reminded me of the first time I began to question what was up in the sky. A mystery is what it was to me when I was in elementary school and up until now I haven’t given it much thought because the last time I learned anything from astronomy was in elementary school, but now after reading the blog post I can tell I have much to learn. I want to explore this subject and look forward to learning in this course.
    It’s fascinating to think how big the universe is and how there are so many things we have yet to discover. I think it is easy for many of us to forget about the sun, the moon, the universe because we have other things going on that we don’t notice it anymore. We know the sun will always rise and the moon will shine at night, but we forget how much progress has been made.
    I’m glad in the post you mentioned zodiac signs because I have always read them for fun, but I always thought that there might be some truth behind it. Or at least it would be fun to think there is a connection to us and them.
    Lastly, I wanted to say that it must have been nice being able to lay down outside your home and look at all those stars. I feel like I missed out in seeing stars because in the city you can’t really see them.
    -Yadira Morales-Chinchilla (ASTR 152)

    ReplyDelete
  114. Dyamond Bernard from ASTR 152
    I too found your story very interesting. I think that constellations are incredible. There is so much beyond what we see and thats so cool. I love when the sky is full of stars.

    ReplyDelete
  115. This is a very interesting article. It takes me back to my country where I was in girl’s scouts. Whenever we went camping, at nights we would all lie down outside and look at the sky. Our leaders would tell us how we could find some important stars in the sky with our bare eyes. I learned if I want to find the Polar or North Star, I have to find the Big Deeper then Polar star is right by it. I also learned to find Canopus the second Brightest star in the nighttime Skye. This star is also called Soheil in Persian.
    When I was little I though that solar system has one moon, like our sun and all the planets turn around it. But later I figured it out that earth and some of planets have their own moon or moons.
    I'm a religious person and believe in God. Sometimes by looking at the sky Im really amazed of his power. As mentioned in the article it is interesting that somewhere on earth is light and somewhere is dark. I take this course to understand how large our universe is and how it works. I’m a pre_k teacher and as everyone knows first years of a child’s life has a critical effect on what he/she will become. Hope this course will help me to add some knowledge in order to teach my preschooler in a right way.

    Thank you.
    Sincerely, Sarine M.

    ReplyDelete
  116. Hello Professor! (:
    I found this blog to be quite interesting. I have never taken an Astronomy class but i have heard from peers that it is very fascinating. I like how you gave us (the readers) a little bit of yourself as well as facts. The fact about one trillion dollar bills stacked on each other is the distance to the moon is so crazy. I never believed in reading my daily horoscope because just like you i noticed what was said wasn't true. But my zodiac sign is a leo as well. When I was younger I liked going camping with my family because I was able to see the stars clearer than being in the city. My cousins and I would try and count them all which is silly because there are way to many to count. I'm very interested in learning more about the stars, planets like earth and space. I'm sure this class will enlighten me.
    -Melanie Leyva (ASTR 152)

    ReplyDelete
  117. Astronomy 152-Kelly McGiffney
    This post is enjoyable in the fact that it is personable. I like how you can share your experiences with us and vice versa. I personally, think about how large and complex the world is, and how a random and chaotic explosion could not have produced such complexities. Our world is small comparative to what we find surrounding us and new discoveries are made everyday, which confirms just how minute earth is.
    -Kelly McGiffney

    ReplyDelete
  118. Reading about the Hindu God Hanumanji was really interesting and fascinating. I like reading about legends and mythical stories from different cultures. Another topic that caught my attention was that of the zodiac signs. I read my horoscope religiously and find it weird that 80% of the time, it relates to my personal life and issues going on. I would be interested to read more about the zodiacs and how the lining of the stars affect human nature.

    Ani Keshishyan

    I was reading your blog and found it to be super intriguing. It made me think of what's further within our galaxy and how big it really is. The best part was reading about how you would look for your grandmother within the sea of stars. I can relate to that on a personal level after my grandfather had passed away. I'm really looking forward to learning more about the stars, constellation, moon and etc. your blog helps a lot with understanding, you should do many more!


    Hernandez, Shaina

    ReplyDelete
  119. It is interesting to know how astrology came to being an important thing in your life. You mentioned Zodiac signs and of how you would read from different newspapers until you got the reading of your choice. I could relate to that considering the fact that when I was younger I used to love reading my horoscopes and when reading something that actually applied to my current life, it made believing that the position of stars actually took a toll in my life. Now I don't think like that, but I still enjoy reading them from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  120. Astronomy 152- Kaylee Fagan

    It is amazing to know that for hundreds of years people have gazed at the sky and told stories and only wondered what was out there. With the help of technology it is amazing how much more we know now than our ancestors did. I know it will take a very long time to explore the whole universe but I am always very interested when new things are discovered. I love to stare at the stars on a clear night and hopefully this class will give me a more intimate closer look at the big open sky above!

    ReplyDelete
  121. Astr152 Yaqueline Carlos
    It is a really interesting blog. I was fascinated by the universe also when I was small. I liked the fact that your grandmother shared those stories with you because she was keeping your imagination alive. I would always wonder what there is beyond what we already know about the universe. I also wonder about the thousands of things that we do not know. I really hope that before I die someone gets the opportunity to be able to visit other planets other than our own, I really look forward to reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  122. Such an interesting view point. I guess that my interest for this class begun when I was watching the "Lion King" with my younger brother. I particularly liked the way that the the character, Mufasa, explained to Simba, that all the stars in the sky represented a king from the past. It is incredible how each culture look at stars and develop myths and legends. I want to know more than just legends and myths, I want the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  123. Great article. I can't wait to see how much more advanced space studies and exploration will progress. It's quite fascinating how much we discovered already and continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  124. Your article helped me realize how their is so much out there and how small and insignificant we are to the massive wonders in the universe. I love how you connected it with your personal life too.

    ReplyDelete
  125. Growing up I have always had an appreciate for the stars. I grew up in a small town where there was not a whole lot to do so star gazing was a must! I have always liked researching the stories behind some of the constellations and so I can kind of relate to how you became so enthralled with studying the stars. I also find it interesting that you were such a keen believer in astrological signs! I always check my horoscope even though deep down I know it's mostly rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
  126. Michelle Diaz from Astro 152 online

    When I was in elementary school, I remembered learning from a friend that if you fold a piece of paper about 42 times you would have a tower that would bridge to the moon. As I learned this, my first thought was "impossible! I can barely fold a paper about nine times," but thinking about it after a while, if a person can rip a yellow page, then it must be possible to fold a piece of paper about 42 times.
    When learning about the trillion dollar bills being placed over one another, the height would be the distance to the moon made me ponder whether the stacks of trillion dollar bills to a pieces of paper is similar in some ways since they are both pieces of paper. This is very interesting and it makes me wonder how a trillion dollar bill stack over each other can be similar to one piece of paper. Am I wrong and am I thinking too much making it complicated? Or am i right? How is the question, how?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My point was simply to tell you the magnitude of a trillion. I am not sure how to connect this to folding a single piece of paper. Mat be, you can make a paper one trillion fold (one trillion layer), it would have same effect.

      Delete
  127. Uriel Gonzalez from Astro 152
    I have been re-reading a great manga called "FullMetal Alchemist" and it somehow I seem to relate (even if a bit) of a phrase they talk about "one is all and all is one". Basically the phrase talks about how everything in this world is connected with everything in one way or a another. Like how we see the universe as a big thing out of reach is how the ant or the termite sees us as humans. I feel that somehow it relates to what your saying, from how our horoscopes are connected to us to how considerable far each star is from each other and to ourselves. Although I personally do not believe in horoscopes, I feel that horoscopes have connected to you in an emotional way and in that way the connection of the universe begins whether it be through ideals or physically. For example, how we are apart of a solar system that is connected to other systems in some way shape or form I do believe in the phrase "one is all and all is one". Or how people who grew up and emotionally connected to stories growing up, such as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right that we start exploring the universe will keen interest when we feel emotionally connected. In the beginning we start with many possible explanations and as we grow-up we try to establish most likely explanations for the observed phenomena. That is basically the foundation of scientific method. You might like a small video clip: https://youtu.be/EYPapE-3FRw

      Delete
  128. Elias Orona from Astro 152 Online,

    I really enjoyed reading this lecture. It gets me excited to hear more of your stories, and learn about such things as the mythology behind the constellations and the actuality of them. I have always been very fond of the heavens and all of its components. When I was younger, it absolutely terrified me when I found out how big the universe is, and how little of a component myself and this whole planet actually are to it. But it still didn't keep me from liking it and looking up at night in awe.
    This past summer I was in northern California, away from the LA light pollution at night, and saw more stars than I had ever seen in my life. The milky way was present every single night, and stars filled the night sky from one end to the other. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen.
    After looking at the google earth sky maps I realized, that there is no way in heck that we are the only inhabitants on a planet/place in the universe. The universe is an endless space that we never be even close to partially exploring for us to even comprehend.
    I am really looking forward to this course and learning everything that I can!!

    - Elias Orona

    ReplyDelete
  129. Interesting first lecture. I still remember being a kid and walking outside at night and wishing I had a telescope to look at the stars. Crazy how much farther ones perspective can span. In comparison to us, the size of the universe is incredible. It is still growing as we speak too!

    I believe astronomy is so interesting because we all have had an emotional connection to the stars at one point in our lives. Researching and finding out about all the things we thought we knew....

    Brenton Filipi

    ReplyDelete
  130. Katie Rosa from Astronomy 152 (online class)
    I have to say I very much appreciate the stories you have shared on your blog page and all your interest for astronomy.I found to be so fond of your article. It is so captivating that you found your love and passion for astronomy through your grandmother and the stories that she told you in your youth years. I also found it very interesting how $1 trillion dollars stacked on top one another makes the distance from earth to the moon.That is a fact I will be using to fascinate a lot of people I meet in the future. I am excited to look forward to not only learning about our galaxy and much more but also using what we know now and how our science applies to them.

    -Katie Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  131. I think that it is interesting to note that all of the stars and planets that we see are reported as making up only 4% of the total universe, while the other 96% is comprised of "dark matter." It is hard to fathom that everything that are observing is only a small part of a huge void.

    Kierra Stepeau ASTR 152 Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  132. I have always been fascinated by Greek Mythology and love that our galaxy is represented by Gods and Semi-Gods [even though it is technically Roman mythology that the names are based on (i.e. Zeus as Jupiter) I think the Romans copied the Greeks). This definitely makes studying astronomy more interesting and engaging.

    Ashley Stepeau ASTR 152 Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  133. It is interesting to read about all the different mythological stories our ancestors have shared to help us better understand how the universe was created. My father loves Astronomy. He spends many of his weekends watching shows about our universe. During my junior high and high school years, he would make me and my brother and sister watch these shows as well. I would get upset because I found no purpose or interest. However, I just realized that he was not doing it to annoy us, but rather to educate us. One of the videos we had to watch for the first week of class was one of the videos I had seen with him. It put a smile on my face because my father's passion was now part of my life. At least for a semester. Now my father and I can watch his shows and I won't be annoyed but rather attentive because it will help me relate it to my class.
    I look forward to reading more of your blogs because I will be able to have interesting, intellectual conversations with my father about a topic that both him and I will be interested for the next few months. I am looking forward to learning more about the mysteries of the creation of our universe and about how we still have so much more to discover.
    Thank you for helping me find a correlation between Astronomy and my life. I am going to enjoy taking this course.

    Regards,
    Ixtla Montanez (Astronomy 152- Fall 2016)

    ReplyDelete
  134. Ever since I was a little kid, taking field trips to Catalina Island, and hearing stories about the constellations and how they came about, I have always been interested in the stories and origins of the stars. The mythological stories attached to these stars, makes it such an adventurous sight to see, knowing that there is a story attached to it. Gods, demigods, and even animals correlate to the stars. One of my favorite stories was about a God covering the world in a black sheet, leaving the animals in the pitch black. A hummingbird began poking at the sheet, leaving little beams of light (stars). Other animals out of curiosity, began poking at it as well, eager to see what is on the other side of the sheet. The God made a deal with the animals, he will take the sheet off for half of the day (daytime), and for the rest of the day he will put the sheet back on (night). Stories such as these give you a whole new perspective on the stars. My personal favorite constellation is Orion the Hunter, accompanied by his dog, Sirius. I really appreciate sharing this blog with me, and I am very excited to learn even more about the stars and constellations.

    Sincerely,
    Riley Conlan
    Astronomy 152 (Fall 2016)

    ReplyDelete
  135. I did not realize how much is out there, beyond what we call our world. Just thinking about our life existence, such as “how did we get to be a part of earth or this galaxy? ” is out of this world haha
    I also use to try to find answers to my future and what the constellation signs meant. I would subscribe to daily email fortunes of my sign (Cancer) and use it to try to prepare myself for what to come my way throughout the day. This was all during middle school when I was bit more naïve. I began to believe these fortunes where something very real or true I supposed it related to astronomy. I never thought to question my idea of it but just going through this first lecture and reading, none of what I thought I knew compared to it. Now, I really think there is much to learn and be interested in rather than the false fourtunes that caused nothing but false hopes and worries.
    Another thing that crossed my mind is my father telling how stars are something that we see from a time not so near our time now. He would repeat “you know star a reflection of something that use to be there.” I would say “Yea you have said times dad!” Now, I really know what he meant. I it is really interesting to know the exact of time light travels to use here on earth.


    Alejandra Hernandez
    ASTRONOMY 152

    ReplyDelete
  136. I was intrigued by your story of how you would perceive the universe at such a young age because of your upbringing. It reminds me of how gullible we are as children, and how we all look for something to believe in. We all search for an explanation as to how and why we are here, on this earth. Despite the passing of your granny, you still look to the stars to reminisce on your childhood and reminds you of the joy she brought to your life. I recall wanting to be an astronaut in elementary school because I was always fascinated by the beauty of outer space. I wanted to be on the moon, and see my house from my position. I now know that that was unrealistic, but at the time, seemed like a pretty neat idea. Thank you for sharing your story with the class because it has allowed for me to gain a better understanding of who you are as a person, and why you do what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  137. It is one of the most beautiful thing that I like to see, the star. However, I have never thought any deeply about distance, scales, weights, and how it forms. And it is now my given opportunity for me to learn more about star and outer world of this earth. The word "Astronomy" itself gives me image of fascinating, imagination, and magnificent feelings of it. Because every thing is made on specific purpose, I believe that there is purpose why the astronomy was first created and all those stars and planets as well. I am very excited to take this class and ready to learn and explore more about our space.

    Best,
    Sungjoo Jeon
    ASTR152 Fall2016

    ReplyDelete
  138. Christina Tran from AST152 (online class)

    First of all, thank you for sharing your story on how you displayed your interest towards astronomy ever since you were so young. The drive you had into studying or getting to know more about the universe was very pleasing to read about. I have always been interested to know more about the Zodiac patterns and why are they align the way they are. Stars were always just a "pretty thing" to look at but, getting to know the real deal about how bright it shines and that every star is unique is amazing. I'm looking forward to see how much more I can appreciate the universe through this class. Very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  139. Hello Professor,
    I really enjoyed reading this first lecture because of all the personal stories you included. The day and night/ time differences in the world has also been a great interest of mine and just how it all works out. The universe works in crazy ways.

    ReplyDelete
  140. This blog post was very intriguing to me. Living in Los Angeles my whole life I haven’t had appreciation for astronomy. During the summer I was offered a job opportunity to work for a YMCA summer camp in Big Bear. Working at this camp I have developed a greater appreciation for astronomy. I would lead night activities called Astronomy Hikes. I was able to learn so much about the galaxy. Before this camp, I didn’t know anything about constellations. By the end of summer I knew so much about the constellations, stars, planets, etc. When I would lead these astronomy hikes, I would always tell the story of Orion the Hunter. This is where I became fond of astronomy, so I decided to join this class.

    Jessica Whittaker
    Astr152 Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  141. Growing up, I was never really interested or engaged in my science courses. I believe that lack of interest was due to my inability to understand the true relation of various scientific topics to my existence. However, as a child I was always fascinated by zodiac signs and the stars. I have also been very curious about the way the universe operates. In this stage in my life, my curiosity about those signs and topics alike have lead me to the study of astronomy. Your lecture was extremely relatable and made the astronomy seem extremely relevant and thought provoking. Your comment about your view of your size in relativity to the universe stood out most. I have been intrigued by that very idea for quite some time. Recently, I have found great interest in understanding the universe and the alignment of the galaxies. I really want to know why this world operates in the way that it does. This lecture has increased my excitement for taking this course and I believe that my curiosity will be exchanged for knowledge and creations of more questions this semester.

    Ashley Jackson
    Astr152 Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete