Friday, February 7, 2014

Beginning to understand the heavens


Beginning to understand the heavens

Debi Prasad Choudhary
Los Angeles, 02/05/2014

The rhythmic march of the sun, moon, planets and star patterns on the sky and occasional fireball shower and the appearance of sword shaped comets of different color made ancient wise man accept their influence on major earth events especially the fate of kings and emperors. When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, I remember curiously listening to my father chatting with his friends about the death of an honest prime minister of India in 1966. Many were saying they know some thing like this was going to happen as the bright comet Ikeys-Seki appeared a year earlier in 1965. Now, I understand their anxiety. They were growing up in a country that got freedom from British about a decade and half ago, already fought two wars and already lost two big leaders that included Mahtma Gandhi, during which there was both a comet and an eclipse!! They knew that King Edward VII of England died in 1910, when Halley’s comet appeared in the sky. They were quoting Homer, “Like the red stars, that from his flaming Hair, shakes down diseases, pestilence and war.” I wondered, why no such thing happened for the death of our villagers that I witnessed all the time!! Well in the word of Shakespeare, “When the beggars die, there are no comets seen; the heavens themselves blaze forth the death of princes”. But, our villagers were no beggars, or princes either. Later, when my PhD supervisor suggested me to work on Comet Halley, I joked if we will survive through and he laughed and still healthy after 15 years of retirement.  

Ancient rulers built gigantic monuments such as Stonehenge, Newgrance, and Fajada Butte that served as a tool to keep track of the movement of heavenly bodies. Many years ago, I visited such a monument, a sun temple Konark, situated 90 miles from my town. The three doors of this huge temple were precisely aligned to allow entering of the sunlight into the temple throughout the year and illuminate the spokes of the wheels like a sundial. This demonstrates the precision of the observations of the north-south movement of the sun.

Such careful observations of the motion of heavenly bodies produced two important results that may be considered as the base of modern astronomy. One: The no shadow day at different locations of the earth used by Greek scholar Eratosthenes (200BC) to determine the earth’s radius. Two: Apart from the sun and moon, five bright objects (planets) in the sky did not follow the pattern of stars.  The planets shift position progressively eastward in the sky with respect to the background stars, which would sometimes slowdown, stop and reverse direction making westward swing. The westward swing is known as retrograde motion. For different planets the amount of eastward and westward shift are different. The first attempt to visualize the celestial sphere, in which all objects including earth, planets, stars, sun and moon are arranged, was made by Claudius Ptolemaeus (Ptolemy 140 AD), all heavenly bodies move around the earth. If we consider circular path of these objects around the earth, it is not possible to explain the retrograde motion and predict the position of a planet with respect to the background stars for a particular day of the year. So, Ptolemy proposed that the planets move on small circles (called epicycles) the center of which slide on larger circles that surround the earth (deferent). In spite of the complexity of mathematical calculations, this idea prevailed for more than 1000 years until Copernicus (1473 AD) proposed that the planets, including the earth move around the sun, NOT around the earth. This heliocentric universe could explain the retrograde motion of the planets easily without invoking complex geometry of circles moving on circles, but could not predict the location of planets correctly enough.

Major breakthrough happened when Tycho Brahe (1546) gathered accurate positional information of planets in the sky for several years using a sophisticate instrument that was periodically calibrated. Tycho was a wealthy nobleman who could maintain such an instrument and perform these measurements. He had a silver nose after losing on a sword duet with his cousin to settle an argument over the legitimacy of a mathematical formula! He hired Kepler to work on the data, but never shared until his death due to bladder failure after refusing to leave a banquet to relieve him (to go to restroom!). Founded on theological believe, Kepler (1571) looked for the cosmic harmony designed by God’s geometrical plan in the Tycho Brahe’s data leading to three laws of planetary motion. First law states: the planets move around the sun in an elliptical orbit, NOT circular. Ellipse is a flattened circle that has two focal points one of which is occupied by the sun. Unlike a circle, which has only one radius, an ellipsis has two axes major and minor. The second law states: while going around the sun the planets swipe equal area of ellipse in equal time. This means during same period of time the planet must move more distance when situated near the sun compared to the furthest location. The third law states: the square of the period during which planets go around the sun is equal to the cube of half major axis. Since these laws were empirically determined, they were only good for the planets moving around the sun. In 1621, Kepler applied his law to the moons of Jupiter and found that period square was not exactly equal to one unlike for the planets.

Around the same time, Galileo (1564) made a number of discoveries that had profound effect on the progress of our understanding of heavens. Using the telescope, he showed that objects move around planets like Jupiter similar to the planets moving around the sun. He dropped two balls of different mass from the tower of Pisa in Italy and found that both arrived on the ground simultaneously.  While falling, the distance increased as the square of time. If in the first minute the ball covered 2 meter, in the second minute it would cover 8 meter. Because, when a body falls freely without any air resistance, the speed changes by about 10 meter per second per second as if something is pulling from below.

This pulling force is the gravitational force, discovered by Sir Isaac Newton (1642), who said two bodies with mass m1 and m2 separated by a distance r would attract each other by a force that would increase as their mass and decrease rapidly as they are separated. Mathematically: the gravitational force F= G (m1 x m2)/r2. G is called gravitational constant, which is same no matter what material we are considering or where we are testing this law. This was a profound discovery. The consequence of this law is that if we consider the sun and the earth, both attract each other with a force that depend on their mass and separating distance. Actually, because of this mutual force they circle a common center located nearer to the heavier mass. So careful observation shows that the earth and other planets do not circle the sun but around a point located near it’s surface. This is the same force that cause ocean tides.  Using mathematics he showed that such paths would be elliptical. In fact, Kepler’s laws are consequence of this force. It was so obvious to Newton that when Edmond Halley visited with the observations of the positions of a comet, immidiately he told the path around the sun must be an ellipse and it would come near the sun after every 76 years. Halley was so impressed with this work that he sold some of his property to publish all these findings in the famous book PhilosophiƦ Naturalis Principia Mathematica “. This book also deals three other famous laws of motion. The first law says, if some thing is not moving or moving with constant speed it will maintain such situation until forced to change. The effect of this is experienced everyday in the form of a jerk due to sudden break or pushing the accelerator of the car. The second law states that when we apply force a heavier body is pushed with less speed compared to a lighter body. More the force, speeder the body moves. The third law states for every force we apply on a body, it exerts back equal and opposite force. Many modern technologies starting from designing a car to launch of rockets depend on these laws. But the most important achievement is that Newton’s discoveries demonstrated the universality of physical processes – the same laws of nature govern the motion of objects on earth and in havens.

Almost 300 years later, Albert Einstein (1879) said that the space, time and mass are related. When you place a mass on a flat space the geometry around it changes such that it is no longer flat. But the effects are really very small so you never notice such changes around you while walking. But, if you replace yourself with a huge object like the sun, you will notice the changed geometry of the space. This was confirmed by two important observations in early 20th century. One of them was total solar eclipse photograph that showed some stars located behind the sun due to the light travelling from them on a path that was curved near the sun.  The other observation was the pattern of motion of mercury, which is very near the sun. Mercury becomes closer to the sun sooner than expected from the Kepler’s laws as it moves in a distorted space caused by the mass of the sun. Today, there are many more examples of this effect observed with space telescope and other advanced instruments.

Over these years, the fear of the heavens for me is replaced by curiosity and wonderment, as I am equipped with the tools of science. The sky still amazes but throwing challenges for understanding. Our civilization is in a unique position that is equipped with a plethora of scientific theories and technological innovations to enjoy the creation. We must invent different stories to entertain our next generation that cannot base on fearing the heavenly bodies.

236 comments:

  1. Hi professor, I realized that I definitely can identify with the last paragraph of this blog. I grew up with fear of the sky, which is a fear of the unknown, because we are so small in comparison. How far can our science take us? Sometimes I feel that humans will never be able to fully understand the universe, but we are making steps each day to learn more and more. I agree that we should invent stories for the next generation that celebrate the sky rather than make us fear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Torounian, Larisa [larisa.torounian.20@my.csun.edu]
    Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:34 PM
    To:
    Choudhary, Debi Prasad
    Blog response #4 Beginning to Understand........
    I had to read this one a couple of times and honestly had to discuss it with my husband since he is the genius in us. I never watch Through the Wormhole without him. So amazing how it all work and this new discovery. I saw a program on this and remember explanation on something Gravitational lensing on the light around a massive object is bent causing it to be like a lens to whatever is behind it. It's pretty complex yet so fascinating. Love these blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its still amazing to me how much people used or relied on the heavens and nature to describe or predict outcomes in life. As mentioned in the last paragraph I too sometimes fear the heavens or the unknown, which makes me really glad for science. Since we are now able to discover and develop reason behind various instances and ease my mind.

      Delete
  3. I am very fearful of the unknown and because of it, I do what I can to figure things out and unfortunately one can go crazy misinforming yourself during the process. In this blog it seems as though in the earlier days, in the death of the prime minister or other leaders, it was always connected to the sky, which in turn, because the sky was misunderstood, it was feared. Luckily for us today, because of dedicated people in the 1500’s, 1600’s and now, we are able to attain more knowledge of the sky, which in turn intrigues us, people to want to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elin Madadian from Astronomy 152OL

    This blog post really interested me for a lot of reasons. It is crazy to think about the fact that at some point in the past, people did not know everything about the universe that we know now and the theories and gadgets did not exist until someone created them or figured them out. It is cool to think about just how much more advanced everything is going to be hundreds of years from now in all the advances that are being made in science now. It is kind of sad that people in the future wont grow up with all those wonders about the world that we did but they will have new stories and new questions to look for the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's amazing how throughout the centuries, people have aways been struck with curiosity for the things, such as the sky, that they see everyday, and want to know more about. They create these myths and traditions based on the stars and comets in the sky, and they make them part of why things happen when they happen, and why things exist. What people often forget is that with these curios people, huge leaps and bounds have been made scientifically ever since people had the ability to hypothesize and test things out. With curious people such as Brahe, Galileo, and Newton, we have been able to learn more and more about the universe around us, and they started off just like the curious people like those in your town when you were younger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can always count on the blogs to give me more of an understanding of what the chapter will be about. Our universe works in mysterious ways and in order to understand it, we must observe. I have done a science project where we drop two objects of different mass and see which one hits the ground first. What surprised me was when both touched the ground at the same time. We discovered that the gravitational pull was always constant no matter what mass difference. As time passes, scientists are always discovering new information about our solar system.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today's generation should be grateful to have knowledge about the universe based on scientific observations and theories discovered in the 1500s, 1600s, 1800s and even before these years. People such as Brahe, Galileo, and Newton spent most of their lifetime trying to solve the mysteries of our universe. Thanks to their great interest and effort we have the foundation built on which we further understand and communicate knowledge and new findings. I was surprised to realize that lives of people in the past were greatly influenced by the stars, planets, comets, and more. Ancient's associated the death of influential leaders to the happenings in our universe. Leaning a bit history was not too bad, I actually found this blog to be enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taylor Hobson
    ASTR 152 OL
    This is the first time that I actually read the blog before reading the chapters in the textbook. I find this introduction to chapter four being slightly confusing but I’m excited to clearly understand the meaning of gravity and how it controls our speed in motion. One term that stood out to be a little more confusing than the rest would be retrograde. I’ve never encountered this particular word before and I’m curious in understanding its role within the solar system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to make the concept of retrograde simple. Every day, planets seems to change their position slightly towards west compared to their previous position. But, some times you sill see them reversing this trend. This apparent pattern of position of the planets in sky is retrograde motion. Imagine you are observing a car in the adjacent lane that is moving in the same direction. When you speed up and overtake that car, it will appear as if it is going backward. But, actually it is not in reverse gear. This appears to be in backward motion from your point of view.

      Delete
    2. The retrograde system is slightly a hard concept to understand when just reading the text book, but these exampled which you provided makes more sense.

      Delete
    3. Now that you put it that way it makes more sense then it did before.
      Thanks!

      Delete
    4. Greetings Professor,

      As I was reading your blog post, I felt as if I am reading a story. The last paragraph was the one I most related to, I definitely agree that it becomes scary thinking of the unknown limits of the sky. It is enormous and filled with wondrous creations.

      -Marina Melkumyan
      FALL 2016 - ASTR 152 ONLINE

      Delete
    5. I enjoyed the historical background of how astronomy became. It was interesting that the from Eratosthenes who began to figure out the radius of the earth up to Einstein and those ahead of hime has been a huge collaboration of continued ideas and new discoveries. And just like the universe, science is endless.

      -Celinne Hernandez
      Fall 2016- ASRE 152 (ONLINE)

      Delete
    6. So many people were shunned or thought about as crazy for challenging the mainstream ideas of that time. Nothing was certain and ideas and theories about life and the way the world works were thriving at the time. People were so curious about the unknown. I grew up scared of what was out there, in space. Now I know that we have plenty of information of what is around us. Proven theories and breakthrough discoveries. Stories encouraged my younger self to look for answers and to be engaged in history. Now I continue to be fascinated with the unknown and known. I have a lot less fear and more of an open mind to new ideas.

      Delete
    7. It's very interesting how people long ago associated comets and eclipses as signs of death! It's amazing how early astronomers came up with theories by doing experiments like dropping balls. People like Albert Einstein and Sir Isaac Newton were very ahead of their time and are very important to what we know about outer space today.
      -Star Alcazar Astro 152 (Online)

      Delete
    8. Kimberly Esparza (Astr 152 Fall 2016)September 25, 2016 at 8:44 PM

      Hi professor! I find it very interesting how at first people were in fear of the heavens because the comets were a sign of death but now many astronomers study them and are curious about them. Also, it is interesting how Galileo was about to perform the experiment of dropping the two balls from the tower.

      Delete
    9. Hello professor,
      I love reading the blogs, and I really like that I find myself relating to them more often than not. I find myself thinking about how vast the universe is actually quite often and how scary it is to think we are actually so small and practically insignificant to the rest of the universe. I find it interesting that even hundreds of years later people share the same fears as those did back then, even though we have made so many improvements in our technology and have learned so much since Galileo's time, we have still so much that is unknown.

      Delete
  9. The unknown is what makes life worth living, the unknown to me is beautiful and I enjoy figuring out the mysteries of life. In the case that I do not ever figure them out, I tell myself it wasn't meant to be. Reading the blog made me realize that things are not just discovered and that is it. People in each generation learned something new about the sky or, they took what another person discovered and uncovered more understanding about it. The sky has always fascinated me-- one day you can have clouds everywhere and the next day its just a blue sky. I find it comical that after 300 years of countless discoveries and mystery it came to Albert Eisenstein saying that space, time, and mass are related. Very intellectual blog and nice break down of Brahe, Galileo, and Newton's theories and research.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i submitted my post but it didnt go through! i hope i dont forget to leave anything out on this second post...
    i really appreciate the comment that you posted on Taylor Hobson's comment about the example of the moving car on the freeway. that really helped me see it in a different perspective and it also helped me see the bigger picture in how the planets are all related and connected, but yet so independent and different. as far as the blog post, it is amazing to see the ideas develop from one another- starting from Ptolemaeus to Albert Einstein. they all seemed to build off one another and the research took so long to where it really launched off once we had telescopes and stuff. before, the research was so much slower and under developed but now things are just going so fast and everyday, they find something different, bigger, and faster! it is amazing to think of the technological capabilities of the future. i can only imagine the feats that people are going to make once my daughter is my age. it is so amazing but so scary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is the third time i send this reply. but overall what I was trying to get my point across to was that its truly amazing how we continue to learn more and more about what is out there and I think that is what makes the sky so interesting the fact that we dont ever really know the real truth. We can come up with many beliefs and theories but at the end of the day its a wonderful mystery that keeps everyone guessing. As much as we read and discover we can come across what could have possibly happened but is it really true? How do we even know? But I like knowing that we may or may not be right, I think thats what drives us to dig deeper and find the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What I think is so amazing is that those scientist were able to make all of the discoveries and conduct all of those studies without all of the amazing technology that we have now. Then again I don't know when the first telescope was invented so it obviously was not impossible. I also think it's so funny how someone so smart and die from such a silly reason. I guess what they say about book smarts and common sense not being equal is true.

    Brittney Giddens
    ASTR 152OL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although notes from the textbook do me just fine, I'm glad you told me to read the blogs before taking the quiz. Everything you have to say is insightful, and the way you spoke about Brahe, Kepler and Einstein's ideas, gravity, and your own experiences (which are really enjoyable) really help with the learning process of this course. I look forward to reading the next blog.

    Alan Arellano
    ASTR 152OL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anila Ismail

    I really enjoy how you introduce the topic talking about your own life experiences and the stories you have heard. It ease me into the lesson plan in a nice way. However this topic is actually a bit confusing to me. Maybe its because I am seeing more numbers than I usually do in your blog posts. I believe it is actually better that I read this blog post before doing the assignment because reading the chapter now should make things easier to understand. Learning some history was actually interesting. I am not a big history fan but I liked the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Esmeralda Aguayo ASTR 152
    i really enjoy the fact that you gave us some background on the people who made some of the most important discoveries about our solar system. A thing from this blog post that really stood out to me is the fact that some people studied this stuff for their entire lives and others such as Edmond Halley believed in the research and information so much that he would do as much as sell his property in order o publish such findings. without the sacrifices that these people made for science we would not know as much as we do now and we sometimes take those things for granted and reading about that i think is helpful for us to remember the people who started it all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Understanding the Heavens is not easy. Although some of this information is “common sense” today, I admire the original founding fathers of the Heavens. For me, these concepts are very intense and at time difficult to understand. The Stonehenge monument was an ideal example of our past, and how our ancestors put puzzle pieces together to make sense of the unknown. I think what makes life interesting is the unknown—the curiosity. Although all these information is scientifically proven by elite experts, the concept is so grand that it almost sounds mythical, and I think that is what makes it exciting. Growing up I always had stories told to me about the stars and the universe, my mother always linked it to Christianity and God. I’ve also learned storied about the universe through cartoons. Disney often reflects to the stars and the moon; for example, in The Lion King, Simba learns about his ancestors and his father through the stars of the universe. This may seem silly, but it is the unknown and the unreachable that bring curiosity in us and at the same time humbles us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find it so interesting that people in the ancient times did not know about comets and that they thought some people were being punished. It is also scary that people died during eclipses and comets

    ReplyDelete
  18. Professor,
    I can't even begin to imagine how it must have felt to have realized that you discovered such an important advancement in technology. Einstein and Newton had no where near the advances in technology that we have today and still managed to make such ground breaking discoveries. That fact is inconceivable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wil Monroy - ASTR152 ONLINE CLASS

    We are truly living in an advanced technological world, the possibilities are endless. We are only eager to discover what is unknown, and craving to seek answers that explain our existence and universe. I am truly amazed at how scientists, along with astrologers have succeeded in exploring the universe, astrologists are obtaining new information through hard work and dedication, It really excites me to think what other technological advances we are going to reach in the near future. Thank you professor for this blog, I enjoyed reading it. Have a great day!! - Wil Monroy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brianna McDonald - ASTR152February 27, 2014 at 2:18 PM

    It is so crazy to me that things that we so easily can look up in a text book or simply Google from our computer were once such mysteries not that long ago. I think people take a lot for granted how accessible knowledge and technology is to us in today's world. I love the stories from your childhood and it makes me realize what a different day and place we live in now. I learn a lot from these blogs and really enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are many reason that this post is one of the most interesting ones. It is fascinating to think how world changes, and how fast it changes. Just twenty years ago people didn’t know things they know now. The most amazing part is that the world unimaginable will develop becoming technologically advanced. Looking from another prospecting many answers remain unanswered which makes life more interesting. The desire of searching knowledge makes life worth living. Thank you for the amazing article.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Joseph Wright ASTR152OL
    I really found this blog to be very interesting. I have never really had a fear of the sky itself but I definitely have a fear of the unknown. For instance, I am afraid of the ocean. Not because of the actual ocean itself, but the idea of the mysterious unknown world we don't know much about. Another great example is the vast and never-ending universe. The concept of something that has no end is one of the hardest things for us humans to fathom. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Billy J. Vasquez
    ASTR 152 OL

    Hello Professor,
    Reading this blog makes me see how far we have come with technology. Now we can input numbers into a computer program and in matter of seconds we have our answer. People like Copernicus, Kepler, and Galileo, to name a few were brave to even try to discover what is beyond earth. Your blogs are very insightful and interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Skylar Keck
    ASTRO 152 OL
    It is very interesting to really see science progress, all of these theories astronomers and scientists came up with, are pretty much fact until proven otherwise by another scientist 200 years later. It just makes me think what theories we have today will be proven wrong in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wei Hung Lai - ASTR152 ONLINE CLASS
    I really enjoy reading the new article every week because I get to learn the new stuff about astronomy and I also really interest in what happen in the sky.I am really admire Edmond Halley, he is such a great astronomer. People name a comet call Halley's Comet to commemorate Edward. The last time Halley Comet appears in the sky is at 1994, I wasn't even born that time. However, the astronomer has already forecast the time that Halley Comet will appears. It is at 2061, I hope I am still alive that time, thus I can see Halley Comet in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It’s interesting that stars can take pauses, stop and reverse directions going westward. It does make sense how the planet moves more rapidly when it’s close to the sun because anything close to a hot place would want to move away as fast as possible. Between the Sun and the Earth is a mass force I’m guessing it’s like a magnet, its pulling next to each other while turning around. As years pass, many different types of people come up with ways to view the sky and its creatures as i like to call the sun, earth and planets to the sky. So in the future there will be more stories of how the world is really shaped up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (1) The planets make reverse swing in the sky with respect to stellar background. That is retrograde motion. Stars do not make such motion.
      (2) The planets move faster near the sun because of Kepler's third law. (Equal area of the ellipse in equal time).
      (3) The dominate interaction between planets and the sun is gravitational interaction, not magnetic.

      Delete
  27. This is the first time I am reading the blog after taking the quiz and reading the chapter. I wish that i read it before like last time because a lot of the information on the blog helps me understand the blog better. As always, this blog is also very interesting and I love reading them. It is crazy to think that back in the day people didn't know as much information about the Universe as we do now. As Sarkis said, I found very interesting to know that the stars can take pauses, stop or reverse directions. I love that you take the time to provide us with this extra information. It is very informative and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such an amazing blog! Very interesting and informative. It's amazing how much we have come to learn and how technology enables us to view stars and even planets from earth. I also find it interesting that stars were able to pause, stop or even reverse directions. It's so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Farnum Darabi ASTR 152 ONLINE

    This was a interested read professor, as you know i don't believe in myths and multiple gods ( i believe in one God for everything, all prophets come from one God and they are just sons of God spreading messages for the of their time) before i go any more off topic, i would like to mention that if i were living in the 1500's or 1600's my way of thinking would probably be completely different and i love how these earlier anatomist and philosophers really helped us grow and understand the universe a lot better in our day and age and without these people we would still "fear the sky" and perceive it completely different. Now, in this time of age, we are still discovering the universe as it is never-ending with such complexities that hopefully one day we will understand it all as a human race. I enjoyed the blog a lot because it really opened my eyes to see how humanity has perceived the universe and centuries go by.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Felicita Penas
    ASTR 152
    This blog was very interesting to read. Reading this blog really helped my understanding about the "heavens". It was also very interesting to read about the major discoveries that Newton, Galileo, Brahe, and Kepler discovered. It was very interesting to read that they were inspired by Aristotle's discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Growing up with fear of sky, fear of unknown I always thought it would be impossible to really understand the universe. I used to connect every unfortunate event in my life to the sky and God. For instance, shaded moon was sign of death, darker sky was sign of earth quick. Sometimes death or earth quick would coincide with shaded moon or darker sky and I would be convinced that universe and God are playing a major role in our lives. Today, we are very fortunate to leave in an advanced technological world where we and our future generation are going to have endless possibilities to discover our universe. Hence, as mentioned in the blog the fear of heavens are going to be replaced by curiosity and wonderment.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Karen Khan ASTR 152May 2, 2014 at 3:37 PM

    Its so interesting how as a civilization we link our beliefs with our surrounding like the heavens and we seem to rely on them for results or explanations. I am reviewing for our final and this makes more sense now than the first time I read it. We have definitely come a long way since Galileo but there is still so much we have to discover and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Natalie Jimenez ASTR 152May 11, 2014 at 6:33 PM

    I have never been one to believe that stars mark certain things about life. I guess I am just very hard to persuade sometimes but I can understand why people believe it so strongly. There are certain circumstances that just get you thinking and I guess all these occurrences are the reasons as to what made them believe in the first place. Even though I am skeptical about theories that rely on things like this I am able to appreciate how much people work around it and are able to produce proper results that have made advances throughout time. There is just so much more to learn about the world and the universe, all that mystery is what makes us curious and encourages some of us to go out and seek answers. This blog was cool in regards to how the sky has provided us with so much information.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was excited to learn that Stonehenge had a scientific purpose to it such as tracking stars and other masses. While today we have more complex scientific questions, the ancient Greeks had a much more complex time coming up with answers. I can’t imagine the dedication it takes to use two separate points during one day on earth and use them to calculate its radius, such as Eratosthenes did. Yet throughout this article there are several instances of certain people finding complex solutions to complex queries. It is inspiring to see the ability of mankind to rise to the challenge of discovery. I enjoyed reading the definition of Newton’s founding of the gravitational constant as a “profound discovery.” I remember learning in previous science classes that before this notion was proven many regarded the effects of gravity to be coming consciously from an object and variable. It is a ridiculous notion so I can imagine the incredible impact the discovery had on the people living through it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Duong Sam
    Astronomy 152

    I really enjoyed the stories you tell about your travel. It’s amazing how even from thousands and thousands of years ago these monuments still remains. I thought it was really amazing how sun temple Konark were precisely aligned allow entering of the sunlight into the temple throughout the year. That’s crazy; it’s amazing that it’s still there! What I still cannot wrap my mind around is the idea that people from centuries ago were so interested in the idea of the sky and what it does. What I never really understood was how they were able to structure these types of things such as the temple and putting them together precisely. It’s weird to see Stonehenges, Newgrance, and Fajada Butte and not understanding why? What was their purpose? What I am blown away is how the no shadow day at different locations of the earth used Greek scholar Eratosthenes to determine earth’s radius, how? What was his method and how was he able to calculate it? It was always a mystery to me, but I assume I will go into other courses to understand the history behind it. The heavens are always going to be something that I am always wondering about. It’s amazing how Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein found such things that help us understand space much better.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Aaron Thongchua Astr 152May 15, 2014 at 12:29 PM

    I find it really interesting how humans have found out so much about our universe. I always wonder how we came up with some of the technology and inventions that we have today. Hundreds of years ago, we had known very little about the outside universe and outer space. But I think it is funny how we have all of this technology and knowledge now, but we still do not know how things like Stonehenge and the Pyramids were built. We know a lot about the world and our universe, but there is still so much out there to learn about it. Our universe contains an infinite amount of things to discover and learn about. Our way of thinking revolves around the knowledge that we have of our world. Which is why people hundreds of years ago thought much differently than we do now.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is Robert Braden Villa from ASTR 152 Online. The first thought that comes to me while reading this is amazement at how brilliant some of our early astronomers were and wonder at how they ever became so amazingly intelligent. It is amazing that with the limited tools they had at the time it could be discovered that the planets move in an elliptical pattern, not circular. It makes me wonder what future discoveries are waiting to be found. With technology as it is now who knows what we could find out about the universe in even the next 20 years. I like learning about the history of how things were explained such as comets and eclipses by saying they were the result of feelings of the Gods.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Dear Dr. Choudhary,

    This blog is my favorite yet. You seem to be an expert on incorporating education in stories about gods and myths. Being an English major it fascinates me when you include Shakespeare in your blogs. Such this blog and the previous bog. But you also include great historical names such as Gandhi and King Edward. However the best part is you tie everything right back to Astrology.

    Also it is wonderful of you to give us a little insight on your PHD program, however the one question that has been lingering in my head is which Monument did you visit 90 miles away from your town?

    Sincerely,

    Richard Burson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 90 miles away from my town is a Sun Temple, called Konark.

      Delete
  39. David Reyes
    Astr 152

    I find it amazing and very interesting on the concepts, myths and your thoughts and experiences as a child. It really keeps you reading as oppose to a simple article that is just out of text. What I really found most interesting about this article was how our planets do not follow our stars. I always thought our solar system worked together as one motion. It really made me think twice about thinking our solar system and the way it works.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ashley Castellanos ASTR 152February 15, 2016 at 2:14 PM

    Ashley Castellanos
    Astr 152

    Its amazing back then people didn't know a lot about the universe as we do now. Its awesome to see how science has progressed over the years. Who knows what new information scientists will discover in a few years. I enjoyed reading the discoveries that Kepler, Newton, Brahe, and Kepler had discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This article was chalk full of lots of great information! I now have a better understanding of what the heaven is and what it is depicted to seem like. I also found it very incredibly useful and fascinating to have so much technology that is able to view the planets, the stars, and other astronomical importances.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Arjun Mudhar: ASTR152

    After reading this article, I feel that the history of Astronomy is misunderstood. I say this because many associate Galileo with the beginning of Astronomy, but since the beginning of time, people have been fascinated by and therefore studied the sky. There have been many breakthroughs from the beginning of time until now, but there is still so much out there we don't know about.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Astr 152 online class
    Yeseul Kim

    THANK you again for sharing your blog. I really enjoy reading it. I like how the scientist were able to make all of the discoveries. And I realized that we are living in an advanced technological world.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Caitlen Diab ASTR 152

    Well this blog post was the perfect review! It was interesting to read about the history of astronomy and how different phenomenons relate to different events in history. This was especially interesting to me because I am not one to believe that certain events in the sky can mark or affect points in history. This post, however, was fascinating and offered a distinct view. Oh, and I love that you quoted Shakespeare, he's one of my favorites!

    It's very interesting to view astronomy in a different way that incorporates stories & myths. This makes understanding the heavens much less difficult and much more captivating.

    I sent this to my friend who is in an astronomy class at College of the Canyons and she loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Astro 152 Michael Yamashita - I have always found that what was inexplainable in the past and now explainable in the present very interesting. Much of this can be seen in many of your blogs. It leads me to wonder what we do not know now and how factual our theories of the universe actually are. I particularly found stone henge and other monuments beings used to tract astronomical time very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Jessica Ovsepian
    ASTR 152

    I really enjoyed reading this article and reviewing the amazing discoveries Newton, Galileo, Kepler, and Brahe found. It is astonishing how far we have come in understanding the universe. I found it interesting that apart from the sun and moon, five other planets do not follow the pattern of the stars. I also enjoyed reading about the monument you visited and how it related to the sun. It is a little frightening how big the universe is and how much we have yet to discover but we have come so far and I am excited to see the breakthroughs made in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Yajaira Tiscareno
    ASTR 152

    Each blog contains information that is straight forward, and interesting at the same time. As the other blogs I like how you start off in the beginning with personal stories. It’s remarkable to reflect on how much science has developed, and what we now know from the sky above us. One thing I found interesting was Galileo’s use of the telescope to see the planets. It’s crazy to think that someone with no guide was able to see those observations. Individuals such as Newton, Brahe, and Galileo all contributed to concepts we have learned about. It’s unbelievable to think what else the sky holds that we do not yet know about.

    ReplyDelete
  48. This is Katherine Garay from your AST152 online class. As always, I wish i was hearing these stories and concepts on a classroom rather than reading them. Thank you for dedicating your time to write these blogs for us, they definitely make the class more enjoyable. At first I was a little bit confused about the westward retrograde motion, in fact, I didn't even know that it existed. So I learned something new today. By the way, the video "Feather & Hammer Drop on Moon" was great! thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Professor,

    This blog post was interesting, but somewhat confusing to me. I will have to go back an read chapter 4 again. The concept of retrograde is proving hard for me to fully understand.

    -Erick Fernandez Astro 152

    ReplyDelete
  50. You mentioned the need to come up with stories to tell our future generations so that they do not fear the sky, planets, and the unknown. I am a firm believer in educating the younger generation with the truth, and you were saying you now have the knowledge and know the truth, facts, and theories behind these anomalies. I am glad we are gaining this knowledge so that I can educate the youth and tell them to the best of my knowledge the truth.

    *I didnt know that the ocean and the tide is based off of the same push and pull as the planets that is very interesting!
    -Katlin Moody

    ReplyDelete
  51. A lot of what we have been reading makes more sense now which makes reading the blogs much more interesting. I think that an explanation of the laws brings it into perspective and it gives me a better understanding but i know that i should go back and read ch.4 to have a better understanding of the laws and the history behind the findings of space, time, and mass.

    -Yanin Peaches Ortega ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  52. Another amazing blog once again, I surely enjoyed reading this. It really made me think how far we have come trying to understand the universe we live in and even today, we try to get more of a understanding "why this/that" along with finding new discoveries out there. With so many different theories and all the discoveries along the way from back in the history. Whenever I have finished reading your blogs, I get a better understanding and it makes a lot more sense to me after reading the chapters. Thank you for taking the time and providing us with all these awesome informations.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Jocelyn Medrano ASTR152

    I really enjoy reading your blogs there very interesting compare to other articles. I have open my eyes to different view points in astronomy and made it clear for me to understand the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  54. We should consider ourselves lucky. Imagine if we had no knowledge of space? It would be absolutely scary and concerning. I'm sure there are scientists who still wonder what else is out there.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Aram Teroganesyan

    These articles you write are very interesting. I like the stories, myths you write about. It is very interesting how Newton figured out a formula for the gravitational force. Overall this was another interesting article and I learned a lot of information I did not know before.

    ReplyDelete
  56. It is incredible to think how much we have discovered about our solar system. The planets follow an orbit around a point near the suns surface governed by the three laws of planetary motion. I was surprised to find out that these laws only applied to the planets around the sun and that moons orbiting other planets had slightly different laws. Since the planets orbit a spot near the sun’s surface and not the sun’s center, the planets paths are elliptical not circular. It is fascinating how the laws that govern our universe are based from physics. It’s crazy to think that at one point we had no idea about how the universe and our solar system function, and to think how far we have come now!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Mayra Torres (ASTR 152)
    This blog was very interesting to read and all the information that is given helps me understand the topic of this chapter. Learning that the past saw different views of the solar system and the knowledge they use to try to understand more about the galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I was not aware that stonehenge was used as a sort of sundial, or perhaps a calendar. With my (extremely) limited knowledge of stonehenge, I thought its purpose was to serve a some sort of temple of worship. In fact, after reading the text, this was the first time I became aware of the "heel" stone. Other than lining up perfectly during the summer solstice, does it offer any other functions in relation to star/planet/sun tracking? I wonder if this positioning was purely deliberate or accidental.

    ReplyDelete
  59. It is almost impossible to think that one day we did not have same amount of information about the sky and the planets that we have today. I found it interesting how your father and his friends attributed the death of the prime minister to the movement of stars. It reminds me of how my grandma used to have strange dreams where she would think it would predict a future event. It is different yet I find this interesting because I have noticed that people always rely on different events to provide an explanation to things they cannot explain, such as death.

    Luciana Moreno
    AST 152

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hello this is Maria Figueroa from Astr152 online class.
    This blog is really interesting as always, not only that, but it helps us to obtain a better understanding and concept about our universe. In addition, it helps us to see how much science has developed. Also, its really interesting that you always include one of your stories during your childhood, to me that makes it more enjoyable to read the blogs because it brings me memories as well. Also, I found really amazing the Galileo's use of the telescope to explore the planets and how the three laws doesn't apply to all. I also found very interesting that apart from the sun and moon, five other planets do not follow the pattern of the stars. Once again, its a very interesting article and very helpful. Thank you for taking your time to share with us such as important information.
    Maria Figueroa

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hi Professor,
    I found it really fascinating how the events in the sky influenced what people believed was going to happen back in primitive times. However, even as late as the 1960s, there was still a superstition that correlated comets and meteor showers to deaths of political leaders. Obviously, we have come a long way since then, yet we still have so much to learn. I really enjoyed the last paragraph where you stated we live a plethora of scientific theories and innovations. We're living in an age of immense understanding. I was very interested in Einstein's theory of special relativity. The idea that space itself can be warped by a physical object still boggles my mind to this day. Regardless, this was a great post to read.

    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  62. Hi Professor,

    I found one of your comments on a student's earlier post to be helpful. You explained the concept of retrograde motion in a simple way. You compared retrograde motion to overtaking someone while driving. In your explanation, you said that when you observe a car while overtaking them would appear as if the car were moving backwards similar to retrograde motion.

    Raymond Banting
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hello Professor,
    I found it interesting that any event from the sky meant that something bad was going to happen. Knowing that Gandhi was going to die just after seeing a comet and an eclipse. It is amazing that people found a way to track movement from beyond (a sundial) by just building a monument like Stonehenge. Many of the great discoveries were made by the activities of the sky like Galileo discovering that there is other objects moving along with planets around the sun.
    Astr 152, Erika Pina

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hi Professor,
    I find it interesting that most of the cultures look up to the sky and see the stars to tell the future or present events. The stars are a tool for humans to possibly predict the past, present, and future events.
    - Melissa Ramirez Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  65. It is interesting how we all do not know what is really out there. I grew up with the fear of the sky because it amazes me how one moment its light then dark. It is crazy how the plants do not follow the stars. I was surprised to read that the laws only applied to the planets around the sun and that moons orbiting other planets had slightly different laws also. New discoveries are always been found and I like how you connect this article to your personal life its just not one information but also a point of view.

    -Jazzlin Hernandez

    ReplyDelete
  66. I find it interesting, reading about sun temples and how people/ civilizations influence were established on this structure. Within my Chicanx Studies 345 class: History of Mexican Peoples. I have learned how pre-columbian civilizations built temples that were accurate with the sky. In addition, our modern day calendar is based off one of the pre-columbian civilizations in Mexico.

    -- Francisco Facio

    ReplyDelete
  67. Hello Professor,
    I had heard of the names of Galileo, Kepler, Sir Issac Newton and I knew they had to have done something important, but I never knew what it was. This blog posts explained and quickly summarized what these guys did to make such an impact in how we see planets, earth, sun, and the laws of gravitational force. Without them having discovered and studied the unknown about the motion of objects on earth and in havens, we would still ponder about all these things. I love how people throughout time have made up stories to try to explain or rationalize why things are or happen in the way they do. I agree that the unknown is scary, but curiosity is what has led to many discoveries. We can only learn more from something that hasn’t yet been explored and learning should not be a scary thing.
    -Yadira Morales-Chinchilla (ASTR 152)

    ReplyDelete
  68. Grace Doye
    ASTRO 152
    I like this post because it gives history as well as astronomy. I really enjoy reading about the history. I like that everything is connected. People have been discussing the stars as long as we have existed. It’s cool to have examples throughout the years. I also enjoyed the last paragraph. I like what you said about curiosity and wonderment. I believe that to reinvent stories of the stars can help the next generation to understand astronomy.

    ReplyDelete
  69. This time around you provided more of an informational blog whereas telling stories and relating them back to your childhood experiences and memories. I enjoyed reading this blog because you provided a lot of background history about the world and the information that was provided was pretty interesting. The section I enjoyed reading the most was the last paragraph because it made me wonder about heaven and what really appears within the sky. I love to live my life by not anticipating on what the future holds because i’d rather just live my life to the fullest by not wondering whats going to appear next. Like they say you only get one life so live it like it’s not granted until tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  70. I enjoy how you are able to relate the weeks lessons with your childhood stories. I could understand how people would associate events occurring in the sky with events occurring in a person's hometown. What I found interesting was how the original astronomers worked under each other and once their mentor, so to speak, passed away, they continued on with their work.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Yesenia Ocegueda Astronomy152February 21, 2016 at 7:34 PM

    I found it interesting how the people knew what kings or emperors had passed by looking up at the sky. I was not aware that the planets move around the sun in an elliptical orbit. I always figured the planets moved in a circular motion. It is absolutely amazing how these founders figured out how the planets move and in what way they are moving in.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Adrian Ruvalcaba
    Astr 152
    This week's reading was very informative in talking about the sky and how you always mentions on how some people saw the world back in time. Also what i enjoyed reading was about the planets and the way different laws are applied to them, like for example when the planets to do not follow the stars. It is fun to learn new information about or solar system and how we can become more knowledgeable about it.

    ReplyDelete
  73. ASTR 152 OL
    Thank you again for the entertaining blog! I always feared the unknown, I'm glad that in some way you identified with fear. This blog made the chapter much more enjoyable to read!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Ryan Maraun
    (ASTR 152)
    In my opinion one of the greatest things about astronomy is the history that is associated with the subject. Since the beginning of time people have been looking to the sky and telling stories. I think that society has been greatly impacted by the ancient people and their stories about the heavens.

    ReplyDelete
  75. What really stood out to me was that Ancient rulers built gigantic monuments that served as a tool to keep track of the movement of heavenly bodies. It's so cool that you got to witness these in person. I wonder how long it took for the scholars to accurately produce their observations?
    Kelly McGiffney
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  76. Hello Professor,

    It is interesting to see how over the years, the concept of the earth and the sky was so controversial. For instance, how the the planets moved around the sun in an elliptical orbit and not in a circular motion. Overall, this article was very enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  77. It is interesting how people in the past discovered and predicted several things about the sky, and some of them were right. Those discoveries had a big effect on the future new findings. I like to read some historical stories, that make me understand everything better.
    Our amazing universe works in mysterious ways, even by having new observational tools and technology it's hard for some people like me to understand it. People like Galileo, Brahe, Newton spent their lives discovering new things about our universe, thanks to their hard work, and efforts. In every generation we can find some people that think differently from others, I consider those people geniuses, who devote their lives to discover new findings, which contribute tremendously to the knowledge of others as well.

    Sarine M.
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  78. So amazing to see how far we have come to understand the universe around us. The paths that the earth travels around the sun and the effects of the gravitational pull on us and the ocean is amazing. It is so incredible that our ancestors we able to discover so much without the technology we have today. Now we are able to understand so much more and unlock may mysteries of the universe. There is so much to learn. I was recently reading about gravitational waves that have been detected confirming Einstein’s theory. I am sure that this is all related to what we are studying too. The more I learn the less mysterious the sky becomes.
    Alexander Weiss
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  79. I think what is so interesting about the sky is that for a long time our ancestors have been able to discover a lot of things. I also liked reading about how the planets move around the sun in an elliptical orbit, I did not know that before. I also found it interesting that the laws of space and planets came from physics and people like Galileo.
    Justin Toerner
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  80. It amazes me to see how far science has come and how our curiosity has guided us as a species to realizing how amazing the sky is. From Newton to Kepler to Einstein, they have all made it possible to take away our fears from the sky!
    Diana Perez
    ASTR 152
    16223

    ReplyDelete
  81. Its so interesting to discover that the monuments were built to observe the movement of the planets.Also the fact that so many cultures have contributed to the history of the sky and the variation of stories. The sky has always been so scary because of the different hues especially when its night time and the sky seems red. Throughout my childhood this always frightened me. I never really knew the reasoning behind it and so this brought fear. It is so amazing to see how far technological advances have brought us and will continue to bring us.

    ReplyDelete
  82. It is impressive how the world was back then and now. With technology growing and exceeding everyday it is possible to see vast improvements in the sky, the sun, the moon, and how they affect our lives this moment. By understanding the earth’s mysteries, it is more possible to understand the sky and how our dynasties could learn new ways of learning, such as the movement of the sun. It’s great that people took time and effort to even find the exact positioning of the planets, according to Tycho Brahe. Another great inventor was Galileo, who discovered that substances moved around planets with his telescope. These are people who are intellectually enriched and have the attitude to look at the heavens above us, realizing that there is more on this earth. I really like how these people discovered the universes mysteries.
    Nancy Moreno
    ASTR152

    ReplyDelete
  83. Allan Chan
    ASTR 152
    Hello professor,
    It is amazing to see how much Astronomy has progressed from thinking the sun was at the center of the Earth to the sun becoming the center. Also, its amazing to see how each of Kepler's laws range from being involved in our everyday lives to being essential towards using it for complex rocket launches. Gravity has also been another thing that really stuck out to me when being discovered. For a long time, I understood that gravity functioned as a pulling force. However, I never really put thought that it also determined the speed of the orbit around the sun. The lecture was quite informative and gave me a deeper understanding about the environment around us.

    ReplyDelete
  84. What really interests me is how the ancient rulers built enormous monuments to track the movement of the heavenly bodies. Its crazy to think of how much they knew then with little to go on and where we are at now. the controversial theories from the past helped us to figure out what we now know. But if we really think about it there is so much more to learn. Who knows what kind of discoveries the next generations will have when it comes to our universe. Also to think that people would associate death with the different sky events that would happen. I like that you also gives us a piece of yourself through these blogs. I agree we must not fear the unknown!
    Melanie Leyva
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  85. Kaylee Fagan
    ASTR 152

    After reading the first few paragraphs of this blog it amazed me to think how ancient people were able to build all of these great accurate monuments without the help of modern day science. I wish there was more records of how these people were able to do so much while knowing so little about what really was out there in the sky. As time progressed it is interesting to see how the scientists mentioned above used each others discoveries to build and re-imagine our modern day planetary orbit system. I wonder discoveries will be made in my lifetime that change the way we think of the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Your blogs always give more clarity to the chapters, thank you! Its interesting to read that even as time goes by, superstition still exists. Its definitely frightening to think about the unknown, but it is what keeps us going. Technology is changing rapidly and new discoveries are constantly made. Im curious to see what stories my children will take with them into adulthood that they will then pass on to their kids.

    Cindy A
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  87. Maria Camacho
    ASTR 152

    In high school I took AP European History and I had learned a little bit about Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo and Brahe. Of course here it's in more detail and its nice to finally understand their importance rather than just memorize a name. Seeing that they basically relayed the information all the way up to this point and we have finally helped uncover the hidden mysteries they couldn't back then is a breakthrough. I look forward to learning about what else the sky holds for us.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Kristoffer VillabrozaFebruary 21, 2016 at 11:56 PM

    Hello Professor,

    It astounds me on how these astronomers create these equations and theories on something they couldn't even grasp and actually see. Even to this day some of the astronomers have accurately proven what they theorized. The instruments used then were not electronic and magnifying however with the scientists' imagination and keen observation they did their work. I cannot fathom the amount of preciseness and endurance they had to face; especially when their theories were rejected as well as shunned.

    ReplyDelete
  89. David Reyes
    ASTR 152

    Our sky holds so much that we do not know. Whether it is good or bad , we shall find out with the way technology is evolving. Our sky used to seem to determine the fate of some and just like the prime minister of India. I can see why the sky can scare many, we just do not know what is to come down or display. I really enjoyed this blog, opened up my eyes in a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sky events has nothing to do with human fate. At times our ignorance dominates and prompts us for blind believes. I tried to make that point in this blog.

      Delete
  90. Eman Zokaeim - ASTR 152May 3, 2016 at 8:08 PM

    Thank you for this blog post Professor. It really helps with the course material and readings so the lecture sticks in my head and I can learn it effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  91. It is interesting that you mention the original ideas of man. Astronomy is very complex (in my opinion) and I find it interesting how over time we as human beings developed the skills required to figure out why and how the things that happen, happen.

    Also interesting that most people still have much to discover about the universe. Thanks for the post. Clarified a few things in the writing with all of your context!

    ReplyDelete
  92. Brian Paknoosh astr152September 19, 2016 at 5:22 PM

    It's amazing to think the amount of work and preciseness that past astronomers had faced in their times. Idea's being rejected and the effort they put in to their work 24/7 really brings in an idea of how hard they worked at the time and the formulas that we still use to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  93. I'd never actually understood the process of retrograde. It's interesting to think that perspective of the planets can even change their apparent paths to our eyes on earth! It's also amazing to me that some stars are so far away that they seem still. Proximity, it seems, leads to more apparent movement, and distance, leads to stillness.

    (ASTR 152)

    ReplyDelete
  94. You forgot to mention that even the Muslim religion has bewilderment at cosmic events. What is it they all pray to when they face Mecca? It is a building that houses a meteorite! That is very interesting that they are all paying homage to something that fell from the sky!

    Ashley Stepteau 152 ASTR

    ReplyDelete
  95. It is understandable that without the advancements in science and technology that the people would ascribe a correlation between certain significant events and cosmic activity. What else is a caveman going to do when a huge flaming rock falls from the sky but be terrified and ignorant. It pleases man to have the answers for everything, usually crafted to suit personal agendas, which is then touted as truth and used as a tool of manipulation. Example: Catholics endorsing the practice of having to pay the church to have their sins absolved. I think that any major catastrophe would be traumatizing. I myself was traumatized by the Northridge Earthquake, during which I went through the whole spectrum in less than a minute. First it was the Armaggedon, then it was God, and lastly the devil, and I am not a religious person. It is amazing how quickly we can revert to ancient explanations.

    Kierra Stepteau 152 ASTR

    ReplyDelete
  96. It's amazing that people have been observing the sky and the stars and planets for so long and to this day still do. Astronomy is a mix of history and science so its amazing to see that there are stories for why the stars and planets move the way they do and then to read about the science behind it. It's fascinating that people have figured out formulas to help us be less curious.

    ReplyDelete
  97. Max Rotter (ASTR 152 Fall 2016)September 20, 2016 at 3:59 PM

    It's incredible that people having been observing and trying to figure out the sky for such a long time. It's so interesting to see how as we advanced, our theories became much more clear, yet more deep in thought. It's fascinating to think that throughout history people have been trying to figure out the sky and plot where things are and how the objects in the sky move.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Emmeli Tomth (Astr 152 Fall 2016)September 20, 2016 at 8:20 PM

    So fascinating that other cultures today and previously in time has been frightened with the heavenly bodies moving in the sky. Even today in motion pictures we see narratives focusing on comets moving towards the earth to destroy us.
    As I was raised in Sweden, where I believe our stories passed on by the elders, are based in the pagan religion of the Norse I was never afraid when I looked at the sky. Yes I knew that when it thundered outside Thor was angry or fighting but truly even when I was little I understood that these were only tales. I feel like people in Sweden genuinely just celebrated the different weather, star constellations, eclipses and falling stars etc.
    It blows me away how far we have come as a human species in technological advance. But still its mind blowing to look back and understand that hundreds of years ago, even before the telescope astronomers had so many theories that they could back up.
    I am certainly learning a lot from reading these blogs. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  99. I think this blog is an eye opener of how much we have advanced and how people have the ability to observe the sky. The learning never stops and keeps going which shows how much we can learn from Astronomy. I never knew it could be so interesting. I love reading these blogs make me learn so much.

    ReplyDelete
  100. I had no idea that monuments such as Stonehenge, Newgrance, and Bajada Butte were used for that purpose.. or that for many people stars signified bodies entering Heaven. It's interesting that this belief helped people understand the difference between planets and stars. I find it fascinating that people's beliefs and tales can result in such incredible understanding and scientific discovery. It's quite incredible to track the timeline of discovery. We advance so much throughout the years and make discoveries that change viewpoints and lives. So awesome.

    Ashley Jackson
    ASTR152 ONLINE
    Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  101. The stories that occupy the science of history seem to be much more grand in the past. From Tycho getting his nose cut of in a duel or Galileo being put under house arrest. Today it does not feel as grand as seemed to be then. Today we don't here of names as big as Newton. The closest we come in modern history is Albert Einstein. He was instrumental in the creation of the atomic bomb and his Creation of the Theory of Relativity. Looking deeper into these great minds is amazing and also their discoveries. After reading this chapter i understand how we measure the universe and why objects in our sky move this way.
    Raymundo Ruvalcaba
    ast 152 9-22-16

    ReplyDelete
  102. Liudmila Menshikova (Astr 152 Fall 2016)September 22, 2016 at 12:49 PM

    I actually never thought of the sky in that magical or mythic kind of way. I never really gave it much thought. I've always known that the sky is like a door to this endless and amazing universe which probably can never be explored to the full extent, but I didn't go further into it. Right now I understand that it's a shame I didn't start earlier but it's good that I started exploring at all.
    Another fact that amazed me recently is I never actually realized just how much mathematics goes into astrology! So much of it is based on geometrical shapes and motions. After reading this I definitely got a better idea as to why the planets move the way they do in relation to each other and the Sun.

    ReplyDelete
  103. I am extremely dreadful of the obscure and as a result of it, I do what I can to make sense of things and sadly one can go insane deceiving yourself amid the procedure. In this site it appears as if in the prior days, in the demise of the head administrator or different pioneers, it was constantly associated with the sky, which thusly, in light of the fact that the sky was misconstrued, it was dreaded.

    ReplyDelete
  104. It's so interesting to learn about how the space, time, and mass are all related, and Keplers Law, ect. It's a little frightening to picture where we would be had we never learned these facts. Everything is connected from the actual science, the universe, mathematics, all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  105. Astronomy 152 (online)
    Katie Rosa
    I definitely agree with you on the last paragraph, maybe we should think of new stories to tell the next generation. As a kid a child something that big bright and dark will scare you. So making stories and showing how cool our space is will excite and interest kids rather than scare them. We as a people we do not know everything there is about the sky but we are making steps further everyday to discovering more about our sky.

    ReplyDelete
  106. It's amazing to think how much knowledge abut the solar system that we've gained ever since the geocentric era. However, it's even more amazing to know that there is so much that we don't know about the universe, yet. It's interesting to see that even after so many years, our interest in the universe is the same as people from the time of Ptolemy. The fact that people can even make discoveries about the universe using math and telescopes amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  107. It is remarkable the things we as humans were capable of so long ago with such little technology. Don't get me wrong, they were ahead of their time in some areas but we have truly developed into an amazing species with all we have accomplished. The intelligence and focus that these early astronomers had blows me away. At the same time, I understand that astronomers at that time worked with what they had available so of course over time we have proved many theories to be different.


    Thanks for the read.
    Brenton Filipi
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  108. Wow! Our universe is so complex that it has taken many scientists hours and hours of research to identify all of the mysterious objects that are present. It is fascinating to know how an individual can develop an instrument that will help them measure distance from a location that is so far away from the earth. I am blown away how many ideas are proven or found to be incorrect through mathematical equations. I feel we still have so much more to learn about our universe. Although I remember hearing some of this information in high school, now as an adult I have a better understanding of Kepler's three laws and Newton's Law of Gravity. Many scientist today build their theories and discoveries on scientist from long ago. This is impressive because the tools we have today are much more advance making discoveries much more prevalent. Despite the lack of technology, scientist like Galileo, Kepler, Newton and many other have had a significant impact and influence on our desire to continue to study the hidden mysteries that we have yet to discover in our universe.

    Ixtla Montanez
    ASTR 152 onlin Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  109. I never thought that our universe or even just the sky could have such a story behind it. I definitely can relate to the last paragraph that we should invent new stories to tell the future generations because the fear of the sky and heavenly is a big impact on most people. I was always curious about the sky and how amazing the universe can be.

    Christina Tran
    Astronomy 152 Online (Fall 2016)

    ReplyDelete
  110. Yuiko Maki (ASTR 152)September 24, 2016 at 4:56 PM

    As having been studying the space, I have also been gaining my wonders more and more why on earth those "first" astronomers started trying to make sense of the universe. I mean, to me, the situation where there were no resource nor advanced scientific equipments that can help them develop their space theories, and where they could not even go in to the universe to see how it is, is absolutely too far to get motivated to try to know of concepts of the universe. I love looking at the stars and looking for constellations at times though, I would not be able to do that as they did. It just amazes me every time I recalled those countless efforts that they made and beliefs that they kept holding in those times that most of others around them were opponents of their belief.

    ReplyDelete
  111. i really enjoy reading the blogs. mainly because it does not bore me and i get a better understanding from the blogs than the books. i really found it amazing that scientist back then were able to make all of the discoveries and conduct all of those studies without all of the help of technology that we have now. technology that we have now. i never really payed attention to the sky as much as i do now. it is mainly because i did not know what i was looking at now when i look at the sun and the moon i think about how the sun rotates around the axis and how its just another big star.
    - DaJeion Myers ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  112. Reginald Hawkins ASTR 152 ONLINE

    These blog post are very interesting and help me understand the material from a different viewpoint. I enjoy that your family and friends have introduced you to these ideas. The unknown is a very scary thing to think about, but it also creates our mind to wonder what else is present out there. It is fascinating to know how people from our past were so interested into knowing about our universe and how even today we still build upon their work. The discoveries made in the past are very helpful to how we conduct research now especially since they did it with less access to certain tools. Now we have the tools and technology to further find what our universe holds.

    ReplyDelete
  113. This post has been the most interesting one for me so far. I enjoyed how you touch on the fact that people have had ideas and beliefs based on their observations of the universe through out our history. So many ideas have been thrown out the door due to modern advances in technologies and new studies that its kind of hard to fully believe in everything. Although there are hard facts and evidence that support new ideas people always have a sense of superstition. Overall this post was good and informative.
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  114. I found a lot more clarity of the reading in the textbook through your blog. It helped me gain a better idea of the concepts of the laws of motion and gravity. I found the story of Galileo dropping the two balls off of the leaning tower of Pisa to be very interesting, and understanding that we have come a long way in our scientific experiments. Einstein's ideas still rattle me, though I find them fascinating. Although we may continue to look for answers in our attempt to discover the heavens, I feel as though they will never truly be explained (possibly until one reaches the afterlife). Thank you for sharing on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  115. It is interesting how this post incoporates many diverse aspects with the universe/astronomy. As the years go by, modern technology has great affected the evolution of science and many have forgotten about the theories of the universe. This post educated me on the different viewpoints and stories of the universe. This post was informative and helped me a learn a lot more.

    ASTR 152
    Maggie Chong

    ReplyDelete
  116. It interested me that you spoke about how the philosophers and scientist developed their theories and how the laws were created. It was insightful to have learned about how humans in the past have furthered their understanding about the world and the matters surrounding it. Clearly, we still have a lot to learn about the universe but it is amazing to think about how much progress humans have made with learning more about it.

    Selena Dang
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  117. I found this blog very interesting and am amazing how resourceful people were in studying astronomy. Even the structures such as the sun temple Konark, which was an early form of a technological advancement. It is fascinating looking back and seeing how the planets and stars were actively watched and noted to determine their pathways. At first, Copernicus’ theory saying that the planets revolved around the sun was pure genius considering the fact that he was correct and prevailed for 1000+ years. These early accounts of figuring out the planets and their patterns is truly intriguing to read about. The more amazing part that even to this day, the skies and space still present us with new mysteries to discover.

    ReplyDelete
  118. it's very interesting that we live in earth that is so huge for as but on the other side so small comparing other planets and generally universe. Is also interesting that we are all dependend on the activities on space that may changed the future of earth for good in just few seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  119. Hi Professor,

    What a very interesting blog. It must have been a great experience to visit the sun temple Konark. Isn’t it amazing that they were able to buy these tools to keep track of the movement of everything in the sky. The discovery of gravitational force by Isaac Newton really fascinates me and I definitely want to learn more about this subject. Another thing that really fascinates me is the relation between space, time and mass. It is amazing how gravity can bend light and change our perception of thing that we observe. I hope I can get a better understanding of the relationship between space and time in this chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  120. This blog is very interesting because it discusses great figures such as King Edward and Gandhi. I like how you mention stuff about the sky and tie it in with history from the past. I like how Gandhi is mentioned because he is one of my idols about non-violence. There are so many theories about our sky, but through more knowledge, and technology we will unravel the many mysteries of the world. I am very glad you talk about these ideas, and grow through more knowledge of our universe.

    Astro 152 Fall 2016
    Edward Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete
  121. The further explanation of the material in the book was once again very helpful! This was told very much as a story, and made it fun, rather than just information. Great post! This is my favorite part of the course.

    ASTR 152 ONLINE Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  122. The further explanation of the material in the book was once again very helpful! This was told very much as a story, and made it fun, rather than just information. Great post! This is my favorite part of the course.
    Christa Griffiths
    ASTR 152 ONLINE Fall 2016
    I forgot to put my name on my previous post

    ReplyDelete
  123. This blog is a really interesting read. Starting with the ancient stories is always a great lead in to the real scientific side of the sky. It's pretty crazy how these ancient cultures built these glorious, long standing structures that helped them better understand the sky. Also once the modern scientific movementnstarted, it escalated quick and we learned so much in a short span of time. I really agree with you when you say you fear of the sky turned into curiosity.

    Elias Orona
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  124. In my opinion this blog post was more understanding and clear than the book. It's interesting how far back astronomy goes. Even though we've learn so much about the universe, we're still searching for new findings.
    Tien Ho
    ASTR152 Fall2016

    ReplyDelete
  125. After reading this blog it gave me some clarification and a better understanding of the material that we had to read. This was the first time I read the blog before I read the chapter and it let me understand more. Something I found very interesting was how a no shadow day would determine the earth’s radius. This was done through careful observation to really understand how the earth moved in modern astronomy. With the many breakthrough made in 1546 by Tycho Brahe and in 1564 by Galileo had paved the way for what we have discovered in today’s time. It is amazing to have come from a small telescope that could barely see one star to being able to see the entire galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
  126. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  127. I always enjoy reading your blog professor! It is like a short story time you gave to us after the long journey of reading the chapters.
    In my honesty, I do have religion background and I do believe on exist of heavens. And it was interesting to read how you thought about the heaven.
    It is always interesting to know the thoughts of others, like how you mention about the future generation, I do agree with the opinions of some peoples comment that we should have more stories to tell our next generation.


    Best,
    Sungjoo Jeon
    ASTR152 Fall2016

    ReplyDelete
  128. I always enjoy reading your personal stories that relate to what we are learning, it helps it seem more real. I actually had no idea that Stonehenge was made for astronomy, I found that very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  129. Daniel Salas ASTR 152 Fall 2016September 25, 2016 at 11:19 PM

    It’s very fascinating to know that people from all over the world studied the galaxies or the laws of physics to this very day. Without those genius minds I don’t know where we would be. It’s great to learn more about new discoveries to be made such as the use of telescopes or electronics to help us out with learning more about astronomy. Just as mentioned in the last sentence of the paragraph, we have to invent different stories to entertain the future generation to get rid of that fear of the unknown. I really enjoyed this lecture post.

    ReplyDelete
  130. Ayesha Mumtaz ASTR 152 Fall 2016September 25, 2016 at 11:24 PM

    This was a wonderful read! I think something that fascinated me while reading this was the commonalities between disciplines. I'm a senior now and remember studying so much of about the Earth and heavens in my physics courses in high school and college. Something interesting that happened was the read about Galileo- I'm taking a history course this semester and we're learning about Galileo and the outer space. I will definitely be sharing this blog post with the history professor so he can share it with the class.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  131. It astonishing how the Greeks and other generations were able to make such accurate predictions on what the planets do in the positioning's they take throughout the years. Even now when I look up in the sky I can tell were very few star clusters like the big dipper are but not much more then that yet with limited technology previous generations mapped the sky. Of course many theories were wrong which is where we get a lot of awesome stories. Now days there is still so much we don't know about the universe outside of the planet yet the technology to get us there keeps improving so much so that we have mapped beyond the limit humans can travel. It would be interesting to know what future generations peek of what we have now as technology and if they would be impressed on the advances we have made outside earth.
    Juvenal lopez
    ASTR 152 online fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  132. I never knew people could have fears of the sky. Reading this blog has thought me that people are scared of the unknown and that their has been connections with death and the sky. It amazes me how scientist back then would find out so much about astronomy with such little resources.
    I appreciate these posts because i learn a lot from them Thank you.

    Arno Avasapian
    Astr152 Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  133. Hi Professor,
    I was very interested when you mentioned that Stonehenge was used to track the stars. While the official use of the the area is still uncertain many people believe that it could have been used for ritual purposes. I think personally that it looks a bit like a sundial and could be used for tracking the time.

    ReplyDelete
  134. Yekaterina Melnik, Astronomy 152 Online, Spring Semester 2017

    I find it fascinating how the Ancient people observed the world so intricately that they could even measure the precise locations that would allow them to keep track of the movement of heavenly bodies. They understood exactly where and how to place these monuments, this is truly remarkable to me and they already understood before placing these monuments, that these locations would result in a significant pattern of movement, that they could keep track of (which means that they were thinking scientifically through observation and testing). I also find it fascinating to see the undying trait in humanity of not being open-minded and willing to change. Throughout history individuals who opposed the societal views and who did not abide to what was currently accepted have been shunned and prosecuted and even murdered. This is not just the case for scientific discoveries, but many other aspects such as views on gender, race, ethnicity and poverty. Humanity in general hates to change, it takes so many years for a drastic change to occur because many people do not want to open up their mind and change their ideologies and views on the world. Some people do not wish to do it because they are afraid of being mistaken in their views or they are unwilling to learn new things about the world. In any case just as this occurred in history, it still unfortunately occurs today concerning other issues present in our world. Which is really dreadful, if only more people were open-minded, we could change the world much more rapidly and with little violence, as open-minded people are constantly learning and changing (they do not hold on to false beliefs).

    ReplyDelete
  135. I found this blog post very fascinating. Its so interesting to me that the ancient civilizations were sop interested in the stars and space. Its amazing how they were able to create tools to measure the movement of the stars and planets.

    ReplyDelete
  136. Hello Professor Choudhary,

    It truly amazes me how the theory about our solar systems began in a time when stories and myths were in play! Without these creative minds, we wouldn't be able to test theories to find the truth. These great scientists influenced each other by constant trail and error of each others ideas in which soon was able to sum up that actually the center of our solar system is the sun not the earth. The wonders of science and discovery is truly fascinating and your childhood experiences helped broaden your curiosity! Thank you for this historical lecture.

    Oyishee Siddiqui
    ASTR 152 OL

    ReplyDelete
  137. Good Morning Professor Choudhary

    I found this blog to be very interesting. What I found most interesting about the blog was when you mentioned how Copernicus proposed that the planets, including the earth moved around the sun. I personally have never heard about Copernicus or even the theory of the sun being in the center, I have always known for the earth to be in the center and the planets and sun moving around it. To know that someone challenged that theory is great because it shows innovation even though he was wrong.

    Ariel Ford
    ASTR 152 OL (16522)

    ReplyDelete
  138. Hey Professor Choudhary

    I continue to be amazed by the way you incorporate the ideas of your class i conjunction with stories of your childhood. Who could have guessed that during the time British rule left India, as well as the death of Gandhi, there was both a comet and an eclipse? Another discovery for me that the radius of Earth has been known since 200 BC, thanks to Eratosthenes. Of course, however, it is the theories of Copernicus and Galileo that we primarily remember and set the standard for modern Astronomy. Each week, these blogs get more and more interesting. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  139. Professor Choudbary,

    An addendum to my previous post, my name is Sebastian Artola from ASTR 152 OL. My apologies for not putting in the pervious post.

    ReplyDelete
  140. Professor,

    It's interesting to note how astronomy has been present in your life at such a young age until now. I've always been intriguied by how previous astronomers have paved the way for others to continue the research. There is a quote, "We stand on shoulders of giants." This post reminds me how the previous big names in Astronomy have allowed for others to take their place. This is important in understanding research and how Astronomy became what it is today.


    Alexis Alvarez ASTR 152 OL

    ReplyDelete
  141. The information provided in this lecture was interesting but, what I interesting also is that previous generations believed that the wonders of the universe were punishments sent from above. I used to believe this was true because several names are derived from Greek gods.

    Alejandra Mora
    Astro 152 OL
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  142. Andrew Lovitt
    ASTRO 152
    Spring 2017

    Laws we consider as common knowledge today, were things that were being discovered for the first time centuries ago. The idea that we continue to understand better the things in our solar system and beyond keeps me questioning how life for other planets and ours survives. The endless universe leaves for further knowledge within the atmosphere we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  143. Hello Professor this blog post was really interesting to me. For the reason that even though you have been amazed by the sky and been studying it since the 2nd grade and until this day you still manage to be amazed it by it because of how big it is. On the last paragraph you mentioned how the sky still amazes you because it throws challenges of understanding which to me means that its because in science you never stop studying there is always something new to learn and research.
    Megan Perez
    Spring 2017
    Astronomy 152 (online)

    ReplyDelete
  144. Hi professor, your blog indicated the process of how science explain the mystery things and breakthrough the incorrect theories. Lots of ancient scientists contribute a lot to the modern science basis such as Isaac Newton, and meantime involving in physics and astronomy. It is amazing that apply those knowledge into real life, even the surrounding we can see.

    ReplyDelete
  145. Hi professor, your blog indicated the process of how science explain the mystery things and breakthrough the incorrect theories. Lots of ancient scientists contribute a lot to the modern science basis such as Isaac Newton, and meantime involving in physics and astronomy. It is amazing that apply those knowledge into real life, even the surrounding we can see.

    Yang Liu
    Astro 152 OL
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  146. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  147. I never took into account people fearing the sky. The world you grow up in varies so widely according to where you live. The fact that at these nations contained so much worry and angst from fear of the British government and so many other circumstances describes exactly why they looked the the sky (the Gods) for answers. although we know today that most of what happens in the universe is due to some scientifical explanation, it was for the use of these beliefs that we are able to know what we do today. This post really touches on this concept.

    ASTR 152 OL
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  148. Carlos Murillo
    ASTR 152, Spring 2017

    Our knowledge about how the heavens operate has been growing over time, and to see how it changes and to learn things that previous humans did not know is wonderful. We feared the sky, because we could not explain what and why certain things would happen. But now with this knowledge, people can learn and see the math behind it all. To think that 5 people made these major contributions in order to better understand our universe is incredible, and it makes you wonder why people here on Earth fight for the most ridiculous reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  149. I enjoyed the fact that your perception changed from fear to wonderment. Often we are taught to believe a certain thing and as we grow older those ideals change and shift with time. It makes sense when bad things happen coincidentally with a change in the sky we tend to blame the unknown for such events and become fearful when the unknown occurs once again to reign havoc. Its fascinating how through history, and even different cultures, celestial events coincide with fear or expectation. In religion celestial events can be seen as a sign from God/ Gods/ Godesses, either a warning or what have you. In history they can be seen as foreshadowing of an event. Celestial events are extremely interesting and as we learn more through technological advances we can further understand their brilliance.

    ASTR 152 #16522 Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  150. Zoe Pitko
    ASTR152
    It still amazes me that only less than 200 years ago Albert Einstein said that the space, time and mass are related. That is quite recent if you think about human history. Although Einstein couldn't have figured out that much with out the studies of Kepler and Newton. It is interesting to learn about all of these scientist who had a huge role, but they are all years apart from each other!

    ReplyDelete
  151. Noemi Castillo MonsivaisMarch 14, 2017 at 1:29 PM

    ASTR 152
    It's impressive to think that real people have made huge discoveries that help us learn more about our universe. These discoveries have made big impacts in our beliefs and that could be very challenging to some of us. Like when Copernicus introduced the heliocentric model, it was not even considered until years later. What I think to myself is that what if later in the future someone discovers something about our universe that could totally change everything that we have always believed in.

    ReplyDelete
  152. I really like reading the blog post because the personal stories always connect to what we are reading. I totally agree that we need to create new stories for our generation. Instead of people being afraid, they should be curious and want to learn more. It is so interesting to read how ancient people used to calculate where the heavenly bodies were, and their theories of our solar system.

    ReplyDelete
  153. Hello Professor,
    The physics part of this chapter made me a little nervous, because physics is a weak spot for me, but I think your explanations of the forces and laws of physics were simple enough for me to grasp their meaning. I think your blog helped me understand them better than the ebook did. While reading your blog, I was also surprised to find out that the Earth-centric theory for celestial movement lasted for over a thousand years. I didn't realize how long this theory lasted, and now I have a better understanding why even educated people were so resistant in accepting the Copernican theory.
    ASTR 152 Online
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  154. I found it extremely interesting to read the different stories of the philosophers. I think it is really cool, because today astronomers still follow the guide lines the philosophers established. AS important as their ideas and philosophies are, it is important for the modern generation to establish their own ideas. New discoveries along with old ones, will help society understand the universe on a deeper level. It was also interesting to read about the heavenly bodies.

    Juliana DLP
    Astr152

    ReplyDelete
  155. Overall, its just amazing how as society developed and continues to develop theories, ideas about the universe and new instruments that influence the field of science.
    Elizabeth E.
    Astro 152
    Sp2017

    ReplyDelete
  156. Hello Professor,

    I find it interesting how theories change over time and we continue to learn more and more as time goes on. In the earlier times we see their theories that they developed and we think how crazy they sound. I wonder how people in the future will view our theories. This blog went well with the book reading and really allowed me to understand the reading even more.

    Steven Doshna
    ASTR 152 OL
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  157. I've always wondered how people can understand just as much about the heavens as we do without the technology we have today. How do many of the monuments are correlated with the setting of the sun and the stars. Without technology how can we understand about astronomy because we rely on technology.

    Bertini Nguyen
    ASTR 152 OL
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  158. Yessenia Gramajo
    Astr 152/ Spring 2017

    It was very interesting to learn that your fear turned into astonishment and wonder. Many people do not like to change the way they think, they like to stay with what they know and what is comfortable to them even though it could be wrong. Or, with time has just changed over the years since nothing stays the same over time. It is interesting to see how the heavens operation has changed over time because we now know things that people before had no idea of. It only took 5 people to contribute their thoughts and knowledge to the whole scheme and it helped us better understand how and why things work the way they do. It is going to be amazing to see what else we find out about the skies in the next few years so we can better understand the intelligence of such events.

    ReplyDelete
  159. This was a very informative article. I enjoyed this article the most because we are truly getting into the heart of astronomy. Something that I found interesting about this article is that Kepler applied his law to the moons of Jupiter and found that the period sure was not exactly equal for other planets. For Kepler to do this in 1621 was amazing and this opened the gates for many scientist ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  160. Soraya Gomez ASTR152
    It's always been interesting how the planets have a specific way of traveling. The three laws of planetary motion is something that i didn't know much about. Now that i read this its interesting to think of how the planets move around the sun and how it is explained by these laws.

    ReplyDelete
  161. Dominic Teran
    ASTRONOMY 152 ONLINE

    As everyone else is also saying, it is very interesting hearing the different ways the sky can be interpreted in. With either good fortune or bad luck, superstition can be easily created when in line with something major as we look above us during the said time. People usually associate sunny days with happiness as it is portrayed as the time to go outside and play, as rain is portrayed as sad and lowly as it is shown being a heavy force dropping onto the Earth. The way the sky looks can determine how people go about their day and that fact is just so intriguing to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  162. La Vonne Centeno
    ASTR 152/Spring 2017

    Throughout this blog I was excited to learn about the different scientists and their studies. I learned more vocabulary and the base of modern astronomy. In addition, I was able to learn more in-depth studies of the earth, its rotation and the gravitational force. I learned that different scientist studied each others' findings and seek more help from other scientists in order to create more explanation about the planets' movements.

    ReplyDelete
  163. Patricia Olivera Astronomy 152 Spring 2107
    It really did suck for Copernicus and Galileo to live at the time because every time they opposed something that was good for everyone else many people hated them. Copernicus knew that the sun was at the center of the solar system and not the earth but many people rejected that idea. As for Galileo he also agree with the helio centric model model as Copernicus. Although they feared of getting in trouble. Although they were great mathematicians and astronomers at that era.

    ReplyDelete
  164. Always so educational... it is interesting to learn about this deep topics in such a story telling way. It is so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  165. I believe there comes a time in life, where everyone fears the unknown, yet causes the urge to explore. Fearing the unknown is a normal idea, but if everyone feared the unknown we would never come upon new discoveries. Curiosity causes the exploration, with the risk of not knowing the consequence, mostly when referring to the universe. The universe is such a complicated and large finding, that in my opinion I feel as though we are never going to fully understand it. Consider the individuals mentioned who have caused advances, such as Brahe, Kepler, Galileo, and Newton. There was a time Brahe felt correct, but with Kepler's contribution the idea was expanded. Later Galileo elaborated on another finding, which also lead to Newton's gravitational force. Although each discovery leads to a new theory or law, I still consider it the "unknown". The concept of the planets, heavens, and stars itself is so intricate, it puts me to a puzzled state.

    Cristina Zakaryan
    Astr 152: Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  166. I feel that a lot of science has been useful to prove many foundational reasons of how the world works. It was especially important for scientists like Kepler, Galilleo, and Brahe to discover how the sun really functions in terms of how it affects our Earth. These scientists risked their lives to prove what is true in a time where religion was mostly dominant in all aspects. But I don’t like to forget that when we look up at the stars it’s not science talking but instead I’d like to think beyond that. And by beyond I’d like to think that when I look at the stars I think of all the indigenous peoples across the globe using the stars as a means to survival and hope. I’d like to think that the Constant Star is how many used to guide themselves home when it’s dark out. I’d like to think that our stars were actual people who achieved something extraordinary to become something so valued to be seen almost every night in the sky viewed by all.

    Abigail Garcia
    Astr152 Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  167. Reading through these lecture posts has helped me a lot in understanding the basics of astronomy and its contributors. It's fortunate we had intelligent people hundreds of years ago that questioned what everyone else believed about the universe. And concerning the superstitions people have about what they see in the sky, it's always been normal for humans to correlate certain events with what is going on in the sky. It just seems like the logical thing to do sometimes, especially when something sudden or unexplained happens.
    Jessica Levin Samarscova
    ASTR 152 online

    ReplyDelete
  168. Cristian Gil 152 Spring 2017

    I recently learned an unbelievable fact about gravity, that if you shoot a bullet out of a gun and drop a bullet in hand at the same time they will reach the ground at the same time. The laws of our universe are sometimes unbelievable. This is why science is so important. Galileo and Tycho and Newton set the groundwork so that we may learn more about creation and our universe and I am endlessly fascinated and grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  169. Eleonor Navarro ASTR 152-16522-Spring 2017
    Hello Professor,
    It is fascinating that the great scientists and philosophers from before our time have managed to figure all these things about space. Now that our technology has improved, we have so much more resources to discover what is out there in the universe. It makes me feel small as I think about what else is out there, waiting to be discovered. I am also curious about the plan to send people to go live on Mars. We have so many unanswered questions for science and I'm excited to see what else I can learn about our universe.

    ReplyDelete
  170. Hello Professor,

    This piece was among one of my favorites! Evidently, most of us have heard of Galileo prior to this class due to his many successes, but I was unaware that he was the first person to discover that objects move around the planets the same way the planets move around the sun. Reading on about how he performed an experiment of dropping two balls of different masses off of a building and them reaching the floor at the same time, reminds me of the many times I have learned and heard about this experiment prior to this class!

    -Ren
    Astronomy 152

    ReplyDelete
  171. Alexandra FajardoMay 7, 2017 at 11:48 AM

    ASTR 152

    It's crazy to me how people would blame or rely on the sky for answers that can be so simple to us today, like death. The fear of the unknown can catch up to anyone, I mean no one really knows if there truly is a heaven or even life after death. The fear of death is definitely something that I live with everyday, but I try to believe that there will be something after.

    ReplyDelete
  172. We have advanced so much over the years with science and technology, however we still don't know the answers to all the questions to everything. I was grown up to believe that there is a heaven and hell after death. Am I sure that there is? No I have not seen it nor experienced it so I do not know.
    Natalie Bedrosian
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  173. Sharmaine Cardenas ASTR 152 Spring 2017May 9, 2017 at 9:12 PM

    It is quite amazing seeing how many of the greats, such as Galileo and Einstein, were able to figure out these concepts in their times and also seeing how each predecessor built upon the knowledge of the one before him. It is also interesting to see how different cultures attribute events in accordance with the sky. I completely agree that it is vital to our future to keep exploring the world and providing a point of interest for our future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  174. This blog post was very informative for me. I have briefly learned about Galileo before, but I had no idea how amazing his discoveries were upon reading this blog post. It is also so incredible to see how much we have developed and advanced over the years. It makes me wonder how it things will advance even more in the future. Theories and ideas are constantly advancing, it is almost scary to think of the future, but also very interesting. Thank you for this blog post, it was very insightful.

    Angella DIjamco
    ASTR152 ( Online )
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  175. I had no idea that Stonehenge was used to track the movements of heavenly bodies. The temple you visited as a kid is a testament to the engineering abilities of ancient times. It couldn’t have been an easy task to construct such large monuments that functioned so perfectly. I too am now intrigued by the heavens and the secrets they hold. That’s why I was happy to be permitted to join your class. I am learning so much already!


    Mahrum Arya Zahiri
    Astr152 Spring 2017
    100859250

    ReplyDelete
  176. David Gutierrez Astr152 Online Spring 2017May 11, 2017 at 5:16 PM

    This blog post refreshed my memory on many important astronomers that have contributed to the understanding of our universe. Newton was one of my favorite astronomers growing up as I found it fascinating that he discovered the laws behind gravity by observing an apple falling from a tree. He delivered an explanation for what he observed and eventually developed the laws of gravity explored today in modern astronomy. It is even more amazing reading about the contributions of ancient civilizations to astronomy such as the Mayans or the Egyptians as they developed pyramids, temples, and relics that allowed them to track the movements of our celestial bodies in our solar system. We have come a long way with technology and I know that many more discoveries will be made such as life on other planets or the discovery of water in other solar systems. There is much to explore in the unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  177. Costa Bustamante Astronomy 152 Spring 2017May 11, 2017 at 5:37 PM

    The way that history is tied with our sky continues to fascinate me because I never would have imagined that. Famous astronomers are iconic for being some of the first to make great discoveries and this gives me more reason to believe that there is still so much that we have yet to discover, and the only way this will happen is to to continue to educate ourselves about what we do not know, and this will lead to more extended research on our universe because there is so much we still have yet to discover.

    ReplyDelete
  178. Alicia Lopez Astronomy 152May 11, 2017 at 6:50 PM

    It is very fascinating to see how much time has changes and how in away technology has made everything easier but also notice the accomplishments that these people did without the help of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  179. I have heard so many stories regarding how things in the sky correlate to the things occurring in Earth. I have heard many times people say "signs in the sky, misfortunes in Earth." At times I want to believe such things, but then I realize that maybe things happen for no reason. Even though technology has advanced and new discoveries have been made, I still continue to doubt when someone says that something in the sky occurred because something happened in Earth.

    Emery Hernandez
    ASTR 152 Online
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  180. very interesting development of how theories evolved on tools that are used to understand better the universe. It is also interesting that every scientist has different existence believes each other but they are all aim for the same target.

    ReplyDelete
  181. It is great to realize how far science and technology has come along in order for us to understand about the universe in a much easier way.

    Md Alam
    Astr152 Online
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  182. To know that so many scientists made such discoveries with the lack of technology we have today is astonishing. It's interesting to know that Galileo was the first to discover that things revolve around planets

    ReplyDelete