Monday, February 24, 2014

Large eyes to look the heavens


Large Eyes to look the heavens

Debi Prasad Choudhary
Los Angeles, 02/05/2014

God gifted divine vision to his friend and disciple in a battlefield to enable him see his “cosmic self”. While listening to this episode in the story of Mahabharat from my granny, I wished such a vision to see the cosmos. Twenty years later, the sight of Saturn, Jupiter and Orion Nebula through a moderate telescope, reminded me of the feelings of God’s friend if he had really seen these objects all at once!! Telescopes are large eyes to look at the tiny light glows in the sky situated far away.

Human eye is a sophisticate camera with a complex lens of about 8 mm size. In broad daylight, we use only a small part about 2mm of this this lens through which light enters to make an image inside the eye. As we enter a low light area the iris fully opens up for the light to enter through entire 8 mm lens. Usually it takes some time for this to happen, so we cannot clearly see in the first few moments of entering the dark from bright illuminated area. The 8 mm lens collect enough light to see the stars of about 6th magnitude and can distinguish two stars separate by about 1 arc minute. The range of color that our eye can see is limited to the colors of rainbow.

Light is electromagnetic wave because the electric field and the magnetic field vibrate in planes perpendicular to the direction of its propagation. The distance between the maximum vibrations in same direction is called wavelength. The two extreme color of rainbow are violet and red have wavelengths 400 nanometer and 700 nanometer respectively.  The electromagnetic waves of long wavelength are of lower energy compared to shorter wavelength. There are electromagnetic waves beyond this visible range. The electromagnetic waves of wavelength lower then 400 nanometer are x-ray waves that are used in dentist office, UV waves that cause skin problem if sunscreen is not used while lying in beach. The waves with larger than 700 nanometer wavelength are Infrared that we use for pain reliever, radio and microwave that are used for communication via TV, radio stations and mobile phone technology. All these electromagnetic waves are exactly same as the light we see with our necked eye, but have different wavelength. The stars and galaxies in the sky produce light in a wide range from very short to very long wavelengths.

Light propagates in the form of waves that prevent the formation of sharp shadow of knife-edges. Infect, if you closely look at the shadow of a sharp object like a knife-edge, you will find dark and bright bands that are produced due to diffraction. The same effect limits us distinguishing two pennies kept side by side beyond about 225 ft. In order to distinguish them, we need to increase the size of our eye (make it bigger than about 8 mm), which is not possible. The other alternate is to use a telescope that has a bigger lens.

The wave nature of light has another consequence. As the light wave front from a distant star passes through the earth’s atmosphere, different parts move at different speed through packets of air with different density. By the time it reaches our eye the light wave is distorted from its original shape before entering the earth. Since the air pockets with different density move, we see the stars twinkle. The planets do not twinkle because they are situated relatively nearer and send many light waves slightly separated in space. These days, we can repair the distortion using modern image stabilizer technology somewhat similar to the one available in many cameras (adaptive optics) and prevent the star from twinkling.

Astronomers build telescopes and detectors to look at them in all wavelengths in minute detail. About 400 years ago, Galileo used the telescope to discover dark spots on the sun and moons of Jupiter that made great impact in modern science. While working as a professor in Padua University in Italy, he used to buy lenses in neighboring town Venice and select the best ones after examining them by looking at the stars. The stars would look like a point of bright light if the lens were perfect. But, since the images in blue, yellow and red color are made at different distances from the lens, they might still look blurred.

The bigger lenses are used to make telescopes to see faint stars by collecting more light. Large lenses are supported only at the periphery, so they become bent due to their own weight making it impossible to make them larger than about one meter size. This difficulty can be overcome by using reflecting mirrors of spherical shape, since they can be supported from the back. Mirror based telescopes produce images of color at same distance from the reflecting surface. But, the light reflected from the outer part of large spherical mirrors are focused at different distance that also results in blurred images. So, large reflecting telescopes are made with mirrors that are not spherical but parabolic.

The thickness of the mirrors should be about 1/6 of the diameter in order to prevent flexure leading to the distorting the parabola shape. This requirement creates problem in making mirrors for the large telescopes of sizes greater than 3 to 4 meter as they become too heavy. Making segmented mirrors and using an active support overcomes this problem. The segmented mirrors use smaller parts of a parabolic mirror held by active supports that maintain the parabolic shape. The active supports continuously tilt to adjust the orientation of mirrors to keep them in a parabolic form. The surface of the mirrors or the lens that produce the images of astronomical objects must be smooth relative to the wavelength of the light.

Since the earth rotates around north-south axis, special mounts are built to align them along local latitude and track the stars by moving at a rate of 360 degree in 24 hours. There are other sophisticate mounts and tracking systems for large telescopes. Building the enclosure or telescope dome and the location of the observatory is also an important part of these astronomical facilities. The observatories are built at high altitudes – on the top of mountains, that are dark and have clear sky for most of the year. For installing very large telescopes, like the 30-meter telescope being made by Caltech and University of California, extensive site survey is undertaken. Additional complexity arises for telescopes built for observing the sun because it heats the surroundings. The solar observatories are built surrounded by large body of water or in very high altitudes where the atmosphere is stable in presence of the sun.

A large part of light in ultraviolet, X-ray, gamma ray and Infrared is blocked by the atmosphere and do not reach the earth. Satellite based space born telescopes are built to observe the stars and galaxies in these wavelengths. These great instruments include Hubble Space Telescope, Chandra X-ray telescope and Spritzer telescope for IR light. 

The light in radio wavelength similar to FM radio or TV communication is long so the telescope surface need not be very smooth. At the same time large mirrors are needed for achieving the images of higher resolution. Many separate telescopes are used to collect light and combined to get an image from an effectively large telescope. These are called interferometers, a technique that is also used for optical wavelengths.

Like, we get lots of information about an object from the amount of light it emits and its color, telescopes serve the same purpose for astronomical sources. The information about the nature of the object is embedded in the amount of light it emits or reflects, the color or wavelength of light and amount of light wave in different orientation, which is also known as the state of polarization. Instruments are used at the focal plane of the telescopes to examine these properties of light from the astronomical sources.

Modern big eyes enable us to see the objects very faint in the sky and learn about them in all colors that are visible to our eye and beyond. Often these faint objects are situated far away, such that light from them takes many many years to reach us. This means we are able to see a star that may not be there at this time, but what it was when the light left from it. Today, we have built such large telescopes that we can see the objects that were born just after the creation of the universe. Some times, I think the fantastic imaginations of the ancient stories are taking real shape.

222 comments:

  1. This blog is a bit more technical than I would have liked. I tried to give a first impression of the instruments used by the astronomers and the feeling I had when I viewed through a telescope first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it very fascinating how people could see the radiating light from stars that are thousands of miles away. I also find it very fascinating how a star could radiate its light and by the time we see it here on Earth, it could not be there. I think one of the biggest and greatest discovery and invention was the telescope. Now there are many different telescopes that you could use to see different parts of this vast sky that we live under. It is so interesting how we even managed to be able to create a product that opens people’s minds to the open and unknown universe that we live in. I always wondered why my eyes would take a minute to adjust to the light in a certain area. I assumed that it just had something to do with a person’s pupil, however, after reading the lecture I learned that it is more complex than that.

      Delete
    2. Kimberly Esparza (Astr 152 Fall'16)October 1, 2016 at 8:56 PM

      The part that was most interesting to me is that the stars twinkle because air pockets have different densities which make the light from the stars distort. Also, how advanced telescopes are now compared to how they were back then and to build one it was harder for astronomers since it was expensive to build a big one.

      Delete
    3. I remember the first time I went to an observatory and saw the huge telescope and it was truly amazing. Its very interesting how our eyes can only see electromagnetic waves that are about 400-700 nanometers. Early astronomers must have been amazed at the things they could see when they first looked through a telescope.
      -Star Alcazar (Astro152 Online)

      Delete
    4. I liked this blog even though it was a bit harder to fully grasp all of the technical concepts there were to lenses and telescopes and being able to view the night sky as we know it. I didn't realize so many different components made up the telescopes we use today, such as the different lenses, and how air pockets with different densities can change the way a planet or star looks. I also did not know about the state of polarization before and find it interesting that it depends on quite a few factors.

      Delete
    5. I have always wanted to look through a telescope and observe the universe for myself but sadly I've never been able to. I have always thought that a long telescope was used rather that a big one. Due to Modern Advances astronomers are able to depict clear images with the lighter mirrors, active optics, and adaptive optics. This telescope is basically a computer with segmented lenses, when put together it creates a large telescopes. It awesome to see all these new discoveries they are making because of how advance technology has become. Hopefully they continue to make new discoveries because I always found the universe to be interesting. Even if I am just witnessing it from a computer screen.
      -Celinne Hernandez
      ASTR 152 ONLINE

      Delete
    6. The part that really caught my attention in this blog was about why stars twinkle and planets don't, I've never thought about before. I think you're blogs are really informative but cool always keeps me curious. And the information on the human eye and how we see and take in light was something Ive learned before but this was more detailed.

      Delete
    7. Meghan Miralles ASTR 152May 13, 2017 at 7:08 PM

      I dont think this article is too technical. I like the metaphor that telescopes are basically large eyes. They are truly an extension of our eyes.

      Delete
  2. This blog taught me lots about telescopes and the twinkling of the stars! It was cool to discover that the electromagnetic light waves pass through air pockets in the atmosphere which is why we view the stars as twinkling. Also, I learned that we can use telescopes to see faint stars not just due to bigger lenses, but because they collect more light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christian Estrada
    ASTR 152

    I thought it was a great way to explain to us the way telescopes help us see what they naked eye cannot. I never really understood how lenses worked in order to give us so much more magnitude in terms of sight. I never realized how the weight, size, shape, and angle of the lens could make the biggest difference when looking up at the stars. I had always wondered why stars looked as thought they were really "twinkling" and had movement, and you gave us the perfect explanation of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anila Ismail
    I thought this blog post was clear and educating. I learned a lot about light and telescopes that I did not know before. For example, I did not know that we get a lot of information about an object through the amount of light it emits as well as the color. I found it interesting that we may still be able to see a star that is not there due to the light it left behind. I really hope to get the chance to look through an actual telescope to see this for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up with fear of sky, fear of unknown I always thought it would be impossible to really understand the universe. I used to connect every unfortunate event in my life to the sky and God. For instance, shaded moon was sign of death, darker sky was sign of earth quick. Sometimes death or earth quick would coincide with shaded moon or darker sky and I would be convinced that universe and God are playing a major role in our lives. Today, we are very fortunate to leave in an advanced technological world where we and our future generation are going to have endless possibilities to discover our universe. Hence, as mentioned in the blog the fear of heavens are going to be replaced by curiosity and wonderment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was very intriguing to learn about the human eye and what we can see. Technology has further helped us to learn about our stars and galaxy through a telescope. What I found interesting was the end of the blog when I learned that the light we perceive from earth is a star that is no longer there. What we are looking at is the light left from the star leaving. Although we may not be able to see our planets with the naked eye, I am glad that we are able to look up at night and see twinkling stars. I encourage everyone to just look up in the clear night sky once in awhile and just stare at the beautiful stars above. It really is a fascinating view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edic Rangel
    Astro Online 152


    It is always helpful really your blogs before the doing the assignments, I tend to get a better understand of the material and learn about it before hand. What I found most helpful was when you mentioned what the naked eye can see and more information about the telescope. Its amazing how the the bigger the lens is the more you can see as well as being able to view faint stars above.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blogs are always so insightful! Such a pleasure to read, and a its a treat to get a break from the book. It's awesome how telescopes started off being able to see dark spots on the sun, and are now able to see objects that were created just after the Big Bang! Really gives us an insight as to how far technology has come in such short years. I also found it interesting that stars "twinkle" due to movement of air pockets with different densities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brianna McDonald - ASTR152March 3, 2014 at 9:35 PM

    I enjoyed the story in the first paragraph very much. But mainly, this blog taught me a lot. The way you explain the concepts are very clear and are more helpful then the book. I never thought about why observatories are built where they are, but now I know and want to go visit one. The way you described the telescope and rays was also very helpful and maked it easier to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer MaldonadoMarch 3, 2014 at 10:02 PM

    Mirrors and lenses have always baffled me in the way they reflect and refract light. Galileo was extremely intelligent in discovering this contraption and seeing what it is capable of doing. Light is so amazing in the way that different wavelengths make different kinds of light that we can and can not see. The part in the blog where it says that telescopes today are able to see objects that were made right after the creation of the universe baffles me. I just can't seem to comprehend that at all. I guess the human brain is so limited..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Skylar Keck
    I find it very interesting how telescopes work. I still do not fully understand how they can see farther distances just by being able to take in more light and have a bigger lens than the human eye. I wonder if there will be the technology to have an enhanced eyesight implant in the future. Then again dehumanization is a scary thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great and informative blog! I always loved telescopes and its ability and power to see so far away that even our naked eyes cannot see! It's still amazing how we are able to see so far anywhere from the earth with a telescope. I always wondered how the idea and technicalities of telescopes worked!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is Elin Madadian from Astronomy 152OL

    This was a very interesting blog post. It was so cool how you explained how the eyes work just like cameras and telescopes with the way they collect and register light. It's weird to think how limited out knowledge would be if we did not have telescopes and only had the ability to see and study the things we could only see with the naked eye. We probably wouldn’t know that the earth is round. We get to see the twinkling of the stars and learn that there are reasons they twinkle other than to be pretty in the sky. The sky is just such a fascinating thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am fascinated on the fact that the naked eye can catch produced diffraction. Even though I attempted to experience it with the sharp knife and the two pennies, I was not able to experience it, and this may be because of my poor vision, but the concept is very interesting. Another interesting note to capture was that witnessing a light/star which is not currently present, but being able to witness the light wave is a pretty phenomenal experience. After the explanation it makes sense but it is a bizarre concept.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wei Hung Lai
    Before reading this article, I never knew human eye is a sophisticate camera with a complex lens of about 8 mm size. In daylight, we use only a small part about 2mm of this this lens through which light enters to make an image inside the eye. As for Mahabharata, I heard this story when I was young. It was an interesting legend. I enjoy reading the last paragraph, especially, the last sentence "some times, I think the fantastic imaginations of the ancient stories are taking real shape." I've always wondering if those legends or mysterious stories are real or fake.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Farnum Darabi ASTR 152 ONLINE

    Before reading this article, i perceived telescopes as something that just zooms in and you can see stars that way. But i never knew that your eyes are like cameras and your eye lids are like the camera lid and how our vision changes so drastically from day to night based on the amount of light that gets through. The twinkling of the starts explanation is on point! and not many people could have said it better. i am Glad i read this article because i learned new things today about the human eye, telescopes, and why starts twinkle. Thanks for the read, cant wait to read whats in the bag for next weeks article. keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It has always interested me to know the mystery of universe. Throughout years technology have developed enormously and helped us to discover the incredible secrets of universe. It is fascinating to know how telescope developed though years. It has started picturing dark spots on the sun and now it is capable of picturing object that had been created way before. The most amazing part from this article for me was to know the light that we see as stars might not no longer be there. That is phenomenal. Once again thank you for amazing articles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jocelyn Garcia ASTR 152

    I was surprised to learn that stars don't actually twinkle. The density of air is what truly distorts the image we see. I didn't realize how many factors contribute to the blurriness of a star. After reading this article, I have found a new respect for the intricate design of a powerful telescope.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joseph Wright ASTR 152 OL
    This article was your most complex one yet, but you did a good job of clearing up a lot of questions I had on telescopes. I wish I had seen your message earlier so I could have read this blog before starting my assignment. To me, the most intriguing part of this blog was when you explained that the light we see from earth is a star that is no longer there and what we are looking at is the light left from the star leaving. I thought that was pretty confusing, but cool nonetheless. So far, this is your most informative blog in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brittney Giddens ASTR 152OLMarch 6, 2014 at 9:44 PM

    Well if you ask a question it will be answered, last week I wondered when telescopes first came into being and this week I found out about 400 years ago. How interesting that you can make the eye bigger or at least see more with circular glass and mirrors. I did not know stars really twinkled I thought it was a trick our minds played on us. Of course they do not really its a trick with air and space but it interesting the things you learn about that you don't really notice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Billy J.Vasquez
    ASTR 152 OL

    As I read the chapter in our reader, and read your blog, I began to think to myself how come I never wondered how telescopes functioned. Reading this lets me see that it takes a lot of work for a telescope to function. It is not only a couple lenses and you zoom in; I learned that telescopes collect light and the further you look, the more light the telescope collects

    ReplyDelete
  22. Felicita Penas
    ASTR 152
    After reading the many blogs, I wonder who named or who came up with all these astronomical terms? It so interesting to me that individuals have created a various categories for things. For instance, light is an electromagnetic. When I see light as just light. Lastly, with this blog I have gained a better understanding of telescopes. Now, I do not have pretend that I know what I am looking at when visiting the Griffith Observatory.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vision is truly a great blessing and a gift from our creator to view his divine works of art, his creation. Your blogs are interesting and educating at the same time. I enjoy reading about your personal connections with the current topics discussed in the book and assignments. This blog was very clear on the facts about lenses, telescopes, waves, and most importantly the vision we perceive. I learned a couple new facts I was unaware of or had forgotten. It was interesting to learn that in broad daylight our eye lens only uses 2mm to make a image. Understanding that more light entering into the larger lenses in telescopes allows more to be viewed caused me to think what we could be able to see if our eyes used all 8mm.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting article. It is very interesting to also learn about human eye while studying astronomy. I did not know that human eye is a sophisticated camera with a lens of about 8 mm and that day time we only use 2 mm of the lens in order to be able to see. Further, I always thought when we enter a dark place our eye is just getting used to the darkness of the room hence, we can’t clearly see the first few moments. However, today I have learned that the lens in our eye is adjustable and it uses its entire 8 mm while in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Taylor Hobson
    ASTR 152

    Although this blog was a little confusing at first, I felt as though it really went into detail by still keeping the length of the blog post short. I always found myself worrying about the images I saw while looking through the telescope rather than the pieces it took to make the actual telescope itself. Also I realized the amount of light in ultraviolet, X-ray, gamma ray and infrared is hidden from the naked eye because it doesn’t reach the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is crazy how during the day and night our eye sight changes. I can relate to that because the second I turn off the lights in my room to fall asleep I cannot see anything. After a few minutes I start to see everything in my room while it is dark. Also about the stars that twinkle, I have always tried either to open my eyes wider or close them a bit so that I can see it more clearly and not have it shining straight in my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Maria Gonzalez
    Astr 152-Online Course

    Hi professor,

    Thanks for sharing the blog. I find it interesting that our eyes are limited to the colors of the rainbow - it literaly shows that there is more than meets the eye and that telescopes have really helped us see beyond the naked eye. Isn't technology great!? I also thought it was funny when you were talking about how we can really see first the first few seconds of going into a dark room from a brightly lit room. Im discombobulated and feel as if I am going to crash into something.
    Also sometimes, we humans, think we know everything and then realize that there is so much more for us to explore! It was interesting to learn that Galileo used the telescope to discover sunspots and Juniper's moons that made a great impact in science. The unknown is scary, especially in the sky. So new type of discoveries makes us appreciate the information provided for us today.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Karen Khan ASTR 152May 2, 2014 at 3:59 PM

    I was so amazed to find out that our eyes are limited to the colors of the rainbow and how stars don't actually twinkle. As someone else mention I also thought telescopes were only a lens with zoom I didn't know that they had to be a certain way so that they don't distort the image.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Natalie Jimenez ASTR 152May 11, 2014 at 6:25 PM

    The comparisons used in this blog were very helpful, they allowed me to further understand the statements being said. I was able to understand the function of telescopes much better than before and can see the similar traits it has with our eyes. They serve for similar functions but work at different distances. There are so many factors that have to do with the ‘twinkling’ of the stars and that was interesting, I never knew it relied on so many things. Now, I think it would be really cool to use a telescope one day and see all the things I never could with my own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was at first astonished at the fact that I’ve never known more about the human eye. I did not know how small our capacity for light is, between 2mm-8mm. The eye is small but I did not realize the actual visual intake area is as tiny as a pinprick. I learned a lot from this article, realizing I never understood something as simple as light. The clash of electrical and magnetic forces to create light is a process that nearly seems magical. It is a strange concept to think that light is partially stopped by different levels or resistance, causing the twinkling of stars. I also was unaware of the specific engineering needed to support a telescope. I assumed that telescopes can be held up at any point but it seems that is untrue.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Duong Sam
    Astronomy 152

    The first sentence really had me intrigued. I never knew that "God gifted divine vision to his friend and disciple in a battlefield to enable him see his “cosmic self”, I had always thought God gave his disciples vision to let them see his creations. Well as side from the religion, I always thought that the longer the wavelength the higher energy compared to short wavelengths but it was the exact opposite. I only know of the anatomy of the eye, but I never knew that that our eyes lens are 8mm but during day time we use 2mm. I like how you compared the two that the telescope is just a larger eye for us to see the tiny little stars in space. It's amazing how Galileo used the telescope and discovered dark spots on the sun and moons of Jupiter that made great impact in modern science. But what exactly are those dark spots?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Aaron Thongchua Astr 152May 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM

    I never really knew much about telescopes or how they worked so I found this to be very interesting. Our bare eyes are very weak compared to a telescope and they let in very little light. It is amazing how back in the days of Galileo they had already invented telescopes and were using them to discover new things in the sky. The telescope seems like an advanced invention so its amazing how they were using them back then. I never really understood how lenses worked in order to give us so much more magnitude in terms of sight. I never realized how the weight, size, shape, and angle of the lens could make the biggest difference when looking up at the stars. Also I found it interesting how stars don't actually twinkle. It is amazing how when we look at a star it is not actually there. It is just the light from the star from many years ago that we are looking at. Stars are very complex things that have a lot going on in them.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is Robert Braden Villa from ASTR 152 Online. I enjoyed this blog very much. I find it amazing that the twinkle from a star is really just light passing through air pockets of different densities. It is almost hard for me to understand that the light I am seeing from a star is from many years ago and it is just now reaching my sight. I want to get a good telescope now after reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Dear Dr. Choudhary,

    This blog explained a lot about why we need telescopes to observe small objects or stars/planets in the sky. The example about making out the pennies was very informative because I could relate to it.

    I found it interesting you were able to explain wave-lengths through stuff we use on a daily bases such as microwaves and radios.

    Another thing I liked about this blog is that you explained Galileo used a telescope to view dark spots on Jupiter's moons and the sun. Therefore without the telescope we would not be where we are today in the Astrology field or science field. Thank you for the great educational blog professor.

    Sincerely,

    Richard Burson

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Professor,

    I thought this article was quite interesting and informative to read about. I like how you mentioned the human eye because it truly is something that is relatable to a camera. I am taking a photo class and my professor mentioned how the lens of the camera changes due to the light exposure, which is similar to an eye. Also, I thought it was interesting how more than 700 nanometer wavelengths in infrared are used for pain relief.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Jessica Ovsepian
    ASTR 152

    This article was very interesting because the human eye is very similar to a camera. It really educated me further on how different light exposures and colors affect the eye. Also, it is always interesting reading about the stories your grandmother told you. Telescopes have also always interested me and it was interesting to learn more about them as well and gain greater knowledge on how they work. It is truly fascinating how we can see different objects in the sky with a telescope.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Astr152 online (yeseul kim)

    THANK you again for sharing your blog.
    When I read this article, I was surprised by the fact that light is electromagnetic wave. Also I was surprises when I realized that thereally are different part of light.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Caitlen Diab ASTR 152

    I think it's a very interesting perspective to view the human eye as a telescope itself. I love telescopes and the way they work will always fascinate me. How could something be so strong to be able to collect an image of something that is millions and millions of miles away from Earth?
    Two nights ago, Jupiter was out in the night sky. If you looked at the sky and saw what looks like really bright star, it was Jupiter! A few times, I've been able to look at Jupiter and Saturn through a telescope. The images aren't as clear when looking through a telescope from home, but if you look through a much larger telescope (like the ones at the Griffith Observatory), the images are often crystal clear.
    This blog offered a better understanding of how and why telescopes function the way they do. We get so caught up with the images we are seeing, that we forget to give thought to how we are able to see those images. I really liked this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Professor,
      Thank you for your post, it was not only educational but also helpful with the homework.

      Marina Melkumyan
      ASTR 152 ONLINE
      Fall 2016

      Delete
    2. Daniel Salas ASTR 152/ Fall 16September 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM

      This article was very interesting and "eye opening" for me. It's fascinating to see how far our advancement in technology has taken us. People made new discoveries with the telescopes and lenses that they used for research. The thing that stood out to me in this lecture article was this quote;"Often these faint objects are situated far away, such that light from them takes many many years to reach us. This means we are able to see a star that may not be there at this time, but what it was when the light left from it." I honestly thought that what we see is actually there, but it comes to to tell you that the objects that are visible might not be there, or objects that aren't visible with the naked eye can be seen with a telescope.

      Delete
  39. Ashley Castellanos ASTR 152February 23, 2016 at 3:12 PM

    I liked how you mentioned that the human eye is like a camera and how in broad daylight we use only 2mm. That was astonishing. This blog post also helped me understand telescopes more in a in-depth way. Very interesting and amazing blog post once again professor.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Learning about the human eye was interesting. As in technology is advancing to find out more things about the human eye. The fear of the unknown is interesting to me because we really do not know what is out there. It is always helpful to read your blogs before any assignments because it gets me more involved in wanting to know more. It amazed me how our eyes work just like cameras also.

    -Jazzlin Hernandez

    ReplyDelete
  41. This was a very technical article regarding telescopes and how the work. I like that you initially began with talking about the human eye and kind of related it to the telescope. I do have a special interest in telescopes I find them fascinating. I am in no way knowledgeable of the types or technicalities, but I thoroughly enjoy going to the Griffith Observatory and attempting (because it is always closed) to look out their huge telescope!
    -Katlin Moody

    ReplyDelete
  42. Shaina Hernandez Astr 152

    I like the way that you related the naked eye to how we use telescopes. Although it is kind of similar I would have never thought to relate the two together when looking up at the stars. I have a fascination with telescopes and going to the Griffith Observatory, where you could learn more about Astronomy. Your blog has helped me to put the naked eye into perspective and was very informative! I really do enjoy reading and commenting on your blogs that help with furthering my knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  43. The telescope is always something that I had an interested in, I am always amazed how telescope can show us things outside this universe that we can't possibly see with our naked eyes. A few interesting things that I learned from this article is that stars don't twinkle and how our eyes are very limited to colors. After reading this blog I have a better understand about telescopes and how they work.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Can we imagine a world without a telescope? Astronomers would have to guess what the universe would look like. Our eyes are the best telescopes we have, but from earth it is pretty uneasy to see whats out in the sky without an actual telescope.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Arjun Mudhar ASTR 152

    Light is an aspect of life many disregard because they take it for granted. Thinking about light having a physical presence in the form of waves gives us a better understanding about how the world functions. An example of people utilizing light for benefit can be seen in the focusing of light in telescopes and eyeglasses. Light is what allows us to see, without it, we wouldn't be able to observe anything in the universe, let alone here on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Briana Geffre ASTR 152

    It is really interesting to know that when you look into a telescope, you are really collecting light from a distant object and focusing that light into an object. I also learned that the colors we see are very limited as we only see the colors of the rainbow. I never thought of it that way. I always just admired the stars and never asked questions on how a telescope actually worked. I have a new appreciation for telescopes now

    ReplyDelete
  47. It is amazing that all the ancient stories that have been told a long time ago have some scientific understanding to it. I also thought it was crazy that it takes such specific planning and knowledge to make a highly effective telescope that allows people around the world to take a look into space and experience the view of different planets. Light as a lot to do with our understanding and view of space and other planets, moons, and stars.

    Yanin Peaches Ortega
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hello Professor,
    I was not clear on why the stars light we see has left and what we see is the stars light leaving, but this blog post cleared it up. It’s amazing how much we can see with telescopes, they help give us a glimpse of how things in outer space looks like. Without them we’d have nothing to base off of how things up there look like. Being able to see helps set things apart and tells us more information about it than not being able to see anything. This way astronomers can learn more about the mystery of all these things so far away from us. Every time I’ve ever used a telescope, I never realized how important it truly is. I always get irritated with them because I can never see or find what I’m trying to find from them, but it’s only because I don’t know how to use them.

    -Yadira Morales-Chinchilla (ASTR 152)

    ReplyDelete
  49. What an insightful blog! These concepts explained are very clear and helpful Professor. It's great to now know how telescopes actually work. That was new information to me. I was also surprised to learn that stars do not really twinkle. It's mind-boggling to think about how our eye sight changes during the daytime and then changes during the nighttime.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Aram Teroganesyan

    This was an interesting article about telescopes and how they work. I liked how you wrote about the human eye being like a telescope. I learned how the colors are formed in the rainbow. This was another great article and I learned a lot of stuff I did not know before.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I have always wondered how telescopes functioned and now I feel that I fully understand the process that is involved. Even though like you said the human eye is like a telescope, our eyes are still not able to pick up the objects which telescopes have the ability to do. It was cool to learn that the unaided eye can see stars at theb6th magnitude. I was also intrigued by the reason why stars appear to twinkle and this is do to the blurring in the atmosphere.

    Elisha Siem
    ast 152

    ReplyDelete
  52. This is an interesting blog. I liked how our eyes are like camera lens that are limited to capture some colors from the rainbow. Its amazing how telescopes has allow us to observe stars and planets from such a long distance from Earth.
    Melissa Ramirez
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  53. Adrian Ruvalcaba
    Astronomy 152
    In this week's reading I enjoyed reading on the comparison about our eyes to the telescope. The type of things our eyes do not allow us to see, that the telescope helps us see clear. It is crazy to see how far we have gotten with telescope and other instruments in order for us to see the type of wavelengths. As well as any sort of space activity that cannot be seen through the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I think it amazing that we have the ability to see objects that were created such a long time ago. Even though I have used a telescope in the past I never really understood how it worked. I think your blog provided great insight by comparing the human eye to a camera.

    ASTR 152

    Raymond Banting

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hello professor, my name is Maria Figueroa and I found this blog very interesting because it provides detailed information about telescopes and how they help us see the things that are far away from us and we are not able to see with out eyes. Not only that, but it helped me to obtain a better understanding of how telescopes work and how they facilitate us to observe the stars and planets from earth. After reading this blog, I definitely want to experience how it feels to see all the stars from earth using a telescope because I have heard of them, but I haven't used one. It will definitely be an amazing an experience. Once again, thankyou for sharing such as important information.

    Maria Figueroa Astro 152 Online.

    ReplyDelete
  56. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Alison Jimenez 12 ASTRO
    Our eyes are our telescopes in a ay they deceive us and might misguide us when we look up at the night sky. As galileo came up with a telescope. This tool helped any astronomers see what was out there but was technology and society developed more the advancement of the telescopes shows us the true beauty and how starts can not be there but we are still able to look at them from planet earth when they are years away.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Mayra Torres (ASTR 152)
    This blog has helped me understand more about telescopes and the capability they have to see far distance of twinkling stars. I did not know that the position and adjustment of a telescope can make a difference on how to view the stars and plants. I also learned that telescopes help us see and understand what we are not able to see with the naked eye. These blogs help me understand the reading in a much better understanding on how telescopes are used and the information that they give us by using them.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hey Professor,
    Thanks for giving us a technical understanding of our telescopes work. I always knew there was lot of components that made these contraptions work and honestly I am still trying to wrap my head around. Also the comparison between the human eye and a camera really intrigued me. I always like how you start out each lecture blog with a story that was told to you a long time ago.

    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  60. Erika Pina
    Astr 152
    I was amazed of how the different parts of a telescope really help a person see what up in the sky. I did not know that the bigger lenses causes the images to be seen blurry because of the light reflecting in the mirror at a different distance. Telescopes were built to see everything in the night sky through wavelengths. A telescope is built to the alignment of the Earth and have to be at a certain locations to see the stars or planets at a perfect view. Telescopes were built to see things that the naked eye can not see.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I never knew there were so many kinds of telescopes. Each with their own advantages. It amazing how these allow us to study the universe.

    -Erick Fernandez

    ReplyDelete
  62. This is amazing! There are so many different kinds of telescopes. I was surprised by the fact that light is electromagnetic wave. I really hope to get the chance to look through an actual telescope to see this for myself.

    ASTR 152
    Heng Shen

    ReplyDelete
  63. Yesenia Ocegueda Astronomy152February 28, 2016 at 2:36 PM

    It is interesting and amazing how the telescopes allow us to view items we would not be able to see with the human eye itself. We are subject to only be able to see things from a certain distance. My father actually owned a telescope himself when I was younger. It was so beautiful to be able to see the night sky and stars through the telescope. Ever since then I have not used a telescope to view the stars but I would love to get a glimpse of them again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hi professor,
    this was such an interesting blog! It's amazing that we have the opportunity to look through telescopes. I once had the opportunity to see Saturn on a Zeiss telescope at the Griffith Observatory! Saturn looks beautiful through a telescope, one can clearly see its rings. I strongly recommend people to go to Griffith and see space beauty.
    Katherine Garay
    AST 152 online

    ReplyDelete
  65. I was having a hard time understanding some of the ideas about the stars not twinkling. It was very eye opening and did help me understand so much more about the telescope. thank you for sharing this information

    ReplyDelete
  66. Hi professor,

    This blog was very interesting and cleared some questions up I had after doing the Ebook chapter reading. Although I am very grateful for my eyesight, it is shocking that the human eye still has a couple of limitations. It is crazy to think that 400 years ago, man invented the telescope just so that humans could really have it all! (lol) Overall, I enjoyed this post and learning about how telescopes work.

    Luciana Moreno
    AST 152 (online)

    ReplyDelete
  67. Hi Professor,

    Every time I read your blogs, I become more amazed about the God’s power and also about the human being creative mind. The way you explain the process of astronomy, after the telescope has been invented, we are able to collect more information about the universe. Telescope helps us to see and study the planets and the stars that we aren’t able to see with bare eyes. It is interesting that we can see a star even though it is not there, however because of the light that the start has left, we still able to see it. Back at in my home country, I looked to the sky through telescope couple of times, I saw different planets and the stars, it was an amazing experiences. I learned a lot about telescope and how it works by reading your blog. I can connect your information with my experiences and understand them better.

    Sarine M.
    AST 152 (online)

    ReplyDelete
  68. Online astro 152

    I have always found it interesting how light allows us to see into the past over a long enough distance, such as stars that cease to exist. From your article I also learned that other factors may affect light and how telescopes can compensate for these factors. For example, light travels at different speeds through the atmosphere and creates "twinkling" stars.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Interesting about the twinkling stars. After reading the assignment, I realized I have never (not even once) thought about why the stars appear to twinkle. Honestly though, its very rare that I ever see more than a handful of stars in the sky since I've lived in large city my entire life. There have been a few occasions when I was younger and went camping with my family to the Sequoias. The first time I went camping, I remember looking up at the sky and being completely blown away: when there is absolutely no city lights near you, the sky literally looks like a salt shaker broke open into the heavens! And if I remember correctly, you could actually make out the star belt (I just can't remember the actual name of it though).

    Cameron Wolcott
    Ast 152

    ReplyDelete
  70. Brianna Cueva ASTRO152February 28, 2016 at 6:38 PM

    It is so interesting to learn about the actual visual limitations we have when it comes to the sky. I found it very interesting when at the end of the blog you state that the light we perceive to see from earth is actually a non existent star. The telescope has aided us for many years to be able to further look into the sky we see above us every night. I have only had the opportunity to look through a telescope once and was very amazed by the fact that with it i could clearly see the stars, moons, and planets and with just the naked eye I am sometimes looking at what I believe is a star but can really just be a radiating light from elsewhere. It is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Emile Ohanyan AST 152February 28, 2016 at 7:14 PM

    It was fascinating to see you compare our eyes as a lens and it was interesting that our eyes are equivalent to a 8mm lens during night. Also I used to think that telescopes just enlarged an image but I found that they collect more light in order to see the stars better.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Another very interesting blog post. For me, this resonated with me a lot more because I am currently taking a biology class that requires a lab. Thus, we've been introduced to microscopes and have been learning of the different kinds and what separates them from each other. I really enjoyed reading your article as it offered insight and background information that I did not previously have.

    ReplyDelete
  73. It is astonishing the capacity of space and the galaxy. I found the article interesting in the fact that it explained how large telescopes are not spherical but rather parabolic. From this article, I learned that when see the stars twinkle in the sky, it means it has been years since the star was there. I love going to the Griffith Observatory because the darkness allows the stars to shine very brightly allowing us, the observer, to see them clearly. It is definitely a wonderful view!

    ASTR 152 OL

    ReplyDelete
  74. Yajaira Tiscareno ASTR 152
    As always your blogs are very informative. I never knew how interesting it would be to learn about the human eye. The information on how the telescope works was very fascinating to read about. It would have never crossed my mind on how telescopes work and the different parts that make it up. For example, how astronomers build telescopes and detectors to look at stars in all wavelengths. I look forward to reading next week’s blog.

    ReplyDelete
  75. It is fascinating the way the human eye allows us to see our environment. it is also interesting that we can only see the colors in the visible spectrum. The wavelength and frequency are what really determine the strength and effect of these waves. I was surprised to find out that mirrors were used in telescopes. I also didn't realize that telescopes were used to get information about planets in space. I really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  76. I find it really interesting how telescopes allow us to see things that our naked eye can not. I did not know that there were different kinds of telescopes. It is amazing how we are able to view stars and planets from Earth. I also found it very interesting why stars appear to twinkle when we see them.

    -Justin Toerner
    astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  77. Kaylee Fagan
    ASTR 152 Online

    It is puzzling to think what would happen if humans could see more varieties of wavelengths without telescopes! I think the invention of the telescope is maybe one of the biggest advancements that astronomers have made as far as a technology to help them in their field. It was fun to learn more about telescopes and more details into everything that they can do!

    ReplyDelete
  78. Your lecture described in detail about how telescopes work but it was very clear the way you presented the material. It is amazing that telescopes were invented during the time of Galileo and they answered some of the mysteries of the sky by allowing a better view closeup. What is even more incredible is seeing how far we have come to develop even larger telescopes and computer technology to enhance our viewing capability. Plus we have launched telescopes into space to report back to us and we don’t have to travel there to see the distance planets. I can only imagine what else my children will be able to discover in the Universe that we have not seen yet.
    Alexander Weiss
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  79. This blog was very informative and it made the material more comprehendable. It's interesting to hear about the different types of microscopes and their qualities. I now know why stars twinkle and why we are unable to see planets with our naked eye.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Kristoffer VillabrozaFebruary 28, 2016 at 10:20 PM

    I've never really wondered how a telescope actually worked, however I always wondered how DSLR cameras and their lenses work. They seem very similar. It is also crazy to believe telescopes have been around for so long, and how innovative people were back then to discover such technology. I can only imagine how it can improve.

    ReplyDelete
  81. I found it interesting that during the day we only use 2mm out of our 8mm eye lens and that in the night time our iris opens up and we use the entire 8mm. Another thing i found interesting is that stars don't twinkle. this post was very informative. the way you talk about telescopes make it easier to understand how they work. I wonder what other advancements will be made to telescopes in the future.
    Melanie Leyva
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  82. Allan Chan
    Astr 156

    I enjoyed the in depth detailing about the telescopes as well as the types of electromagnetic waves. I was not aware that the light projected from the stars were extremely distorted by the atmosphere. My understanding was that the stars light was extremely potent and was able to deliver its appearance in its original form; however, our atmosphere does not allow us to see that; thus I am extremely motivated to investigate the actual form of a star. Not only that, but since the sun is a star I barely processed that it does not look the way it does on clearer images it is due to the atmosphere. I really enjoyed learning on this blog, and do miss the anecdotal part of it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  83. It is quite interesting to see how the developments of further products have helped us to become more familiar with our sky, planets, universe, etc. One thing that caught my attention was when the article mentioned why the planets do not "twinkle" due to them being, "situated relatively nearer and send many light waves slightly separated in space."

    -- Francisco Facio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite interesting to see how the developments of further products have helped us to become more familiar with our sky, planets, universe, etc. One thing that caught my attention was when the article mentioned why the planets do not "twinkle" due to them being, "situated relatively nearer and send many light waves slightly separated in space."

      -- Francisco Facio
      ASTR 152

      Delete
  84. My interest was directed at the comparison between the lenses of the human eye and those of the telescope. This makes sense since we model much of our inventions after the human body. I think it is also interesting how there is different light waves and how we observe the stars in wavelengths! I also was unaware that mirror lenses in telescopes were parabolic and not spherical.
    -Kelly McGiffney
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete

  85. Grace Doyle
    ASTRO 152
    Hey professor. I never knew that much about telescopes. I knew they helped us get a closer view of the starts but I didn’t know how they work. It’s fascinating how they work. Every faceted of the telescopes is important to make it work. How big the lenses is to the angle of the lenses changes the telescope. Also I loved learning that what we see is not actually what is there. The light from stars that we see is actually light left from a star. It’s all incredibly fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  86. ASTR 152
    I found the part about the 2mm of light going into our eye interesting. I had no idea about how it starts off with just a slither of light then the eye opens up to let even more light in.

    ReplyDelete
  87. Eman Zokaeim - ASTR 152May 3, 2016 at 8:14 PM

    I have learned about the way telescopes work previously in elementary school but it was nice to get a refresh on their utility and function. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  88. I enjoyed this blog it was very clear and educational. The parts that had to do with light caught my attention the most because my name means Light in Hebrew. It would be interesting to use a telescope again now knowing how they work.

    ReplyDelete
  89. reading this taught me lots about telescopes and the twinkling of the stars. it is amazing how the lenses of the class can determine what we can see and how good we can see them. i also am pleased with how clear the blog was written i understood every piece of the material.
    - DaJeion Myers

    ReplyDelete
  90. This was an interesting blog. Telescopes are a very fascinating and it is cool that they can see things that we cannot with the naked eye. It was interesting to know that our lens is about 2mm when light enters and 8mm when it is low lite. That may be a reason why we squint when we enter bright areas.



    Reginald Hawkins ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  91. Although some of the ideas were a bit complex, this lecture helped me understand the lesson. The description of the human eye as a camera was truly enlightening. I thought it was interesting that the use and ability of our eyesight increases with the lack of light. Your description of the telescope was also fascinating. I have a telescope that I used to use when I was younger. I never really knew what I was specifically looking for through it or how it worked, but now I want to pull it back out and try to use it again.

    Ashley Jackson
    ASTR152 ONLINE
    Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  92. when I was in middle school we learned about telescopes but it was to this depth this lecture teaches me a lot.
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  93. I find it very interesting that the eye is like a microscope, which allows us to see from a distance. I like the idea that our body can do so much more than just being mentally and physically working. Our eyes allow us to see us the different kinds of view such as being near sided or far sided with our glasses. I’ve been to the Griffith Observatory and find it really cool to be able to see stars from different angles in life. This lectured made me understand the lecture more and apply it to the assignment. Seeing these images with our eyes and telescopes make us see the clearer picture of the images of space and the world.

    Edward Rodriguez
    Astro 152 Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  94. I had never known why the stars twinkled until this lesson! And now it seems so obvious. The fact that the microscopes self correct to stabilize an image, as well as recapitulate the human eye but in a stronger, larger, more accurate way is quite interesting. It makes sense, though, for the human eye can see all things earthly, but it takes a larger machine to see the depths of the heavens.

    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  95. I found this lecture very informative about light and what the human eye is able to see and what limitations we have when it comes to our sight. We think we can see what is out there in the universe when in reality we just do not have the ability to see what is actually there. I wonder where we would have been without knowledge of the universe had we not had the privilege of using telescopes.

    ReplyDelete
  96. Daniel Salas ASTR 152- Fall 16September 28, 2016 at 10:41 AM

    This article was very interesting and "eye opening" for me. It's fascinating to see how far our advancement in technology has taken us. People made new discoveries with the telescopes and lenses that they used for research. The thing that stood out to me in this lecture article was this quote;"Often these faint objects are situated far away, such that light from them takes many many years to reach us. This means we are able to see a star that may not be there at this time, but what it was when the light left from it." I honestly thought that what we see is actually there, but it comes to to tell you that the objects that are visible might not be there, or objects that aren't visible with the naked eye can be seen with a telescope.

    ReplyDelete
  97. Cheska_Lai ASTR 152 Fall 16September 28, 2016 at 11:04 AM

    A very fascinating post this week. The twinkling of stars and how advanced technology has come to show us what is out in the sky. The naked eye can only see little sparkly dots, and having seen through a telescope before, the difference is phenomenal through the lens.

    ReplyDelete
  98. The introduction to this article was very engaging because it took an interesting approach. Stories always catch the readers attention so therefore, it was a great introduction. I've learned many things about what the human eye can and cannot see, including things in the sky. The naked eye is limited, but thanks to the telescope, can see many things. I learned more about light and the twinkling of stars through this post.

    ASTR 152
    Maggie Chong

    ReplyDelete
  99. Brian Paknoosh astr152September 28, 2016 at 2:54 PM

    Before reading this article I always thought telescopes were just something you would use to closely look at stars and other planets. I never really knew that our eyes are like cameras and how our vision changes at night because of the amount of light. The article changed the way I see things and how I act through it with my own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  100. Liudmila Menshikova (Astr 152 Fall 2016)September 28, 2016 at 6:06 PM

    I like how you start most of your blog posts with an interesting "grandma" story from your past. It's a great hook. Engages me right away. This was a very cool post in a sense that it opened my eyes to a lot of actual math that goes behind a rather simple idea of a telescope. I never knew space telescopes exist. I was sure it's only the ones we use to see stars here on Earth. I felt like this post was incredibly informative. Thank you professor!

    ReplyDelete
  101. Yuiko Maki (ASTR 152)September 28, 2016 at 6:50 PM

    Since this blog includes much information about the universe, it was a little bit overwhelming to actually understand each concept such as wavelengths, eye lens, telescope, lights and time in the space, and so on... but I did have fun and get fascinated reading it. Especially it felt so crazy and mysterious when it reminds me of the star lights we see tonight are lightened up by the stars that may no longer exist tonight, if that makes sense. It is just too deep but also made me feel how great the universe is and those astronomers, who devoted their life to studying the space and discovered and let us know about the space, are.

    ReplyDelete
  102. Ayesha Mumtaz ASTR 152 Fall 2016September 29, 2016 at 3:36 AM

    Thank you very much for this informative article!

    I had eerie thoughts going through my head while reading this- ranging from Hollywood movies like "A walk to remember' and its use of telescopes to signify achieving dreams and bucket list items to movies like star wars. Regardless of the fact that the post was extremely technical, I did not have too much of a trouble following it due to the fact that it was accompanied by stories. Thank you for always making these blog posts so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  103. Max Rotter (ASTR 152 Fall 2016)September 29, 2016 at 11:04 AM

    I thought this article was really interesting. I like that your personal experiences make it easy to read, yet it's still educational. I always thought that telescopes were like cameras, in that they would just zoom in to look at the sky. However, now that I know this is all caused by light, telescoped seems like more of an interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  104. I found this lecture difficult to read but also interesting. I've always had the biggest trouble trying to comprehend light/wavelengths and whatnot. After reading this once, I still didn't really understand so I read it another time and that really helped. I think it's amazing how some people are able to construct things that help us see the universe better. What really interested me was that there's a device that can repair the distortion of a light wave that has entered the Earth's atmosphere so that it could be less blurry.

    ReplyDelete
  105. To me the most interesting part about this post is the idea that we can see into the past by simply looking further away at light that was created many years ago. While looking at the past we can form a better understanding on why our universe is this way. Also we can see the fate of stars and solar systems that have past to see into the future of our solar system. The end of time is something many people have tried to predict and most if not all have failed. But there can be real numbers put out by simply looking at our strongest energy source and other stars alike it. The sun determines much of what happens on earth and if we know the cycles it gives through we can better understand our world.
    Raymundo Ruvalcaba
    Astr 152
    9-29-16

    ReplyDelete
  106. Emmeli Tomth (Astr 152 Fall 2016)September 29, 2016 at 12:56 PM

    Like previous comments have mentioned also I appreciate and are hocked into the story of each blog by the technique of story telling you use when you talk about your Ganny. This makes it so much more fun to read and it makes my mind relate the topics to my own experiences too. This blog post was very informative like the others before this one but I learned something that I have never thought about at all which was very refreshing; That colors are wavelengths of different scale.

    I never knew why stars twinkle in the nightly sky but know thanks to this blog I do. It’s crazy how much our earths atmosphere change and determines what we see about the world and universe around us and how it ultimately has a huge impact on our quality of life and life form. This topic really made me think very philosophy and on a deep level.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  107. After reading that telescopes were like “large eyes to look at the tiny glows in the sky” I realized how true that was. We as humans are very curious causing us to always want to explore what we don’t know, so I can not imagine how Galileo felt when he wanted to know what was out in the universe. In today’s time I feel we take it for granted all the knowledge we have acquired because there was a point and time where something as common as the moon was unknown. It is amazing to imagine how the telescope is like the human eye where in daylight we use 2mm and then at night we use our entire 8mm. For example trying to look at something far away we use a telescope and focus to see the image clearly. The fact that we have advanced how far are telescopes can reach, I am not surprised when there will be a telescope that can see very far as clear as the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  108. I found this blog post to have way too much information which made it really difficult for me to read and understand. However, I did learn that large reflecting telescopes are made with mirrors that are not spherical but parabolic. Also, that the lense of the telescope can be so important and specific. I thought that every telescope would just have one optic lense that had a high zoom. But I definitely got more knowledge towards the end of the blog post. Thank you for sharing.

    Christina Tran
    Astronomy 152 Online (Fall 2016)

    ReplyDelete
  109. I always find it delightful when you always talk about your childhood and you with your granny. It is always nostalgic for me because I start to think about similar things in my life such as looking at the stars when I was younger and wondering why I could never see as many as I would at a desert. When I was younger I remember going to Griffith Observatory and seeing the sky at the Planetarium.The telescope was enormous! It always intimidated me because I thought the giant telescope was more of a weapon than just lenses! Thinking back on that, it's pretty funny to think that I was scared of the giant telescope. I've always wondered what would happen if telescopes weren't invented..

    ReplyDelete
  110. The human brain is in a large part dedicated to vision, so it makes sense that we put so much energy into extending our vision. It is absolutely amazing that we have created objects that allow us to see light-years away. I can only imagine what the first pioneers of telescopes thought when they saw other planets for the first time. It must have been mind blowing.

    Kierra Stepeau ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  111. When I think about how amazing the human eye is, its ability to see near and far and distinguish the details that it does, it makes me wonder why a little sea-creature would have a total of 16 visual pigments when humans only have 3. Added to the fact that they have about 10,000 ommatidia which makes them able to see things in a different time frame than humans. Why would they need to see polarized light? Fascinating!

    Ashley Stepteau ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  112. Before reading this blog, I honestly thought that telescopes were simply extremely magnified zoomed lenses. So after reading this I can definitely say that I have a much more better and detailed understanding of how telescopes actually work. But I will admit that it took me a few reads to actually understand due to the amount of information and words. But nonetheless still a pleasure to read. Thank you professor.

    Celina Carpina ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  113. I am so grateful that telescope were invented because unfortunately I do not have good vision. My vision is so poor that with glasses I am considered to be legally blind. When I look up into the sky in the night time everything is completely dark. In order for me to see what other people see with their naked eye, I have to see through a telescope. Sometimes we take for granted what the human eye is capable of capturing. Telescopes have allowed astronomers to discover and continue discovering objects that may help us understand how and why the universe was created. If the lenses on my glasses help me see enough that I can read a normal textbook or maneuver my wheelchair around on the streets, I can just imagine what the telescope at Caltech and University of California will help students see or maybe discover when they get the opportunity to have access to them. The sky is still full of mysterious objects that need to be identifies and the technology to discover those objects are only getting better and better as time goes by. Many of the same technology used in the telescope are use in our cellphones we used today.

    Ixtla Montanez
    ASTR 152 online Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  114. It's interesting to understand the reasons as to why our vision with the naked eye is so limited, as well as what we are limited to. I understand how lenses apply such a grand magnitude to improve vision in general. The positioning of the lens determines the depth of what one can perceive, which I find fascinating. I was intrigued by your explanation of twinkling, as well as your application of your personal life into your lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  115. Ryan Schlup ASTR 152October 2, 2016 at 1:45 AM

    The creation of the telescope and its advances have been one, if not the most important instrument made for Astronomers. You highlighted the importance of its use and development over the years. I enjoyed how you related the telescope to the human eye and made comparisons. Another thing I enjoyed and found interesting was the fact that the twinkle /light we see from stars may be the light of a star that is no longer there.
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  116. Very informative lecture. The naked eye is an interesting thing, but not as interesting as that of what we can see with it using a telescope. The telescope is our way of realizing that the universe is much bigger than just this earth and our galaxy. reading this lecture makes me feel very lucky that we live now and all of the work of getting to view the sky was done so many years before our time. Now we don't even think of what really goes into what it takes to view the stars because we have the internet filled with images that show us whatever we'd like to see with almost no work done.

    ASTR 152
    Elias Orona

    ReplyDelete
  117. Another great lecture. The fact that you provided so much detail about the telescope made it easier for me to understand the basics of the device. The part that you mentioned about the naked eye being so limited just furthered my fascination for how big our universe even is. It is even more fascinating that with the telescope we are able to glimpse into the universe and see what is beyond what we can already see with the naked eye. I also really appreciated your personal stories, for they are interesting to hear a different perspective on the subject.

    ASTR 152
    Selena Dang

    ReplyDelete
  118. This is very informative topics to learn. As a person who loves to deal with camera and seeing the sight of view with the other tools, I was very impressive with the work of telescope. When I think about telescope, it has a lots of similarity with camera. Those natural light that we need in our life also needs in many of our tools in our life to use. This chapter is very interesting and I would like to learn more about telescope.

    Best,
    Sungjoo Jeon
    ASTR152 Fall2016

    ReplyDelete
  119. I find very interesting how light effect our vision and how many different types of teloscopes exists and everyone has its own history and different porpuse.

    ReplyDelete
  120. I was astounded to discover that stars don't really twinkle. The thickness of air is the thing that really bends the picture we see. I didn't understand what number of variables add to the haziness of a star. In the wake of understanding this article, I have found another admiration for the unpredictable configuration of an intense telescope.

    ReplyDelete
  121. I've never been one to the interest in telescopes, but after reading your blog post I find it fascinating what all of them can do. Its astounding what we can't see with our naked eye. Having instruments like these help us explore the universe and learn so much more information about the sky. One of the things I find most interesting is that stars do not twinkle. Stars are constantly moving which causing a twinkling affect, but in reality they are moving all the time. Love the stories, great blog post!

    Jessica Whittaker
    ASTR152

    ReplyDelete
  122. I enjoyed this "more technical" post quite a bit. Although the other ones are quite entertaining, this one was informative and helped the information stick a lot. The bit about penny comparison, however, I found to be a terrific explanation. Thank you.

    Christa Griffiths
    ASTR 152 ONLINE Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  123. This blog post is one of my favorites because I have always found telescopes extremely interesting my whole life, but I have never known how many different types they are and how important they were to astronomers. You mentioned how the naked eye can not see the great extent of our universe without the help. I also found it really interesting how stars dont actually twinkle they just move. The universe has so many surprises and we still have so much to learn, I really enjoy the advances we are making for astronomers in technology.
    Jasmine Ramirez ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  124. I never really broke down the eye and its functions, but this article struck such an intriguing topic by breaking down how and why we see starts through our eyes. Not only that, but the science behind light and the capabilities of it. We never really see how big of a part wavelengths play in our daily lives. It is also very interesting to get more of a background on the telescope and how important it is to have it for our use. I have always marveled at the telescope and its capabilities and even the capabilities of the naked eye. Truly fascinating.
    ASTR 152 (Fall)

    ReplyDelete
  125. The first time I looked through a telescope it was to view Alcatraz during a San Francisco trip and ever since then I've been intrigued by the telescope. It's ability to bring the sense of closeness and focus to far away objects is absolutely phenomenal in my own opinion. This lecture was of particular interest to me because I enjoyed learning the functions of the telescope.

    Best,
    Crystal Lozano
    ASTRO 152 online fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  126. Katie Rosa
    Astronomy 152 (Online)
    I really liked this blog and found it very interesting. It was a little difficult to understand but that was because it had more technical terms due to learning about telescopes and other devices that help the naked eye see our galaxy. The first and the biggest telescope I have ever seen was at the Los Angeles Griffith Observatory they were showing their every day annual show although after seeing that goat telescope and everything you can see through it was definatly something I would not forget. This blog and my day at the Observatory reminded me that a lot of people don't realize that there is all of different telescopes and how much different components there are about our telescope today.

    ReplyDelete
  127. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  128. This blog post was very interesting because of I realized how strong ones eyes are. There is so much technology behind a lenses. The telescope also has so much in-between the naked eye and what we are trying to see.
    ASTR 152
    Tien Bridget Ho

    ReplyDelete
  129. I really found this lecture to be the most interesting one yet. I love telescopes and have been dying to see the one at the Griffith Observatory and this has inspired me to finally go and see it! It is crazy how much power they have.
    Jacqueline Anderson
    Ast 152

    ReplyDelete
  130. As I was doing the homework for this last week, I began reading into telescopes and how they work.
    Extremely interesting how we are able to see so much more than what is visible with the naked eye.
    They say the human eye is incredible, but when in comparison with the sights of a telescope, there's no competition.

    Great lecture.
    Brenton Filipi
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  131. It is interesting to learn more information about the human eye. I found it fascinating how the human eye is about 8mm size for the lens. Also, how the lens collect enough light to see stars about 6th magnitude and can distinguish and can distinguish two stars separate by 1 arc minute. I have always wondered why I'm not able to see quickly after it's dark but, now I know that it takes time for the lens.

    Christina Tran
    Astronomy 152 Online (Fall 2016)

    ReplyDelete
  132. reading this blog i learned a lot about the eye and how it works. i didn't know that when light changes the eye adjusts to it by getting smaller and larger. I also learned a lot about telescopes and it amazes me how it lets us magnify our eyes so we can see such small things.

    Arno Avasapian
    Astr152 Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  133. Alejandra Mora
    Astro152 OL
    Spring 2017

    It is fascinating that with the help of a telescope we are able to see stars that without the aid of a telescope is not possible. Learning that with a telescope our eye becomes 8mm is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  134. Hi Professor,
    I think it is interesting to learn about how a telescope works and how it allows us to see things that without it would be impossible to see from where we are.

    ASTR 152 Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  135. This blog post was very interesting and insightful. I learned that large reflecting telescopes are made with mirrors that are not spherical but parabolic. Also that the lens of the telescope can be so important and specific. I would like to learn more about the telescope because it is a very interesting topic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  136. Good Morning Professor Choudhary

    I found this blog to be very fascinating because I never used a telescope before and never thought about using one. So reading about how telescopes work and what you can see with them depending on the size of it is great. I definitely would like to use a telescope in the near future so that I can experience it first hand.

    Ariel Ford
    ASTR 152 Sp 17

    ReplyDelete
  137. Professor,

    I love the comparison of the human eye to a camera lens. It's weird to think of our eyes as camera lenses, however humans are the original "camera." In order to view the stars effectively, astronomers created even bigger versions of eyes to see the stars and planets. Atronomers had to be creative and resourceful in order to progress their findings and research. I love how curiousity and a thirst for knowledge left to the creation of the telescope which was a huge step for the field of astronomy.


    - Alexis Alvarez ASTROL 152 (Spring)

    ReplyDelete
  138. Andrew Lovitt
    ASTR 152
    Spring 2017

    I have many times thought about how our eyes as mammalia allow us to observe and understand our current surroundings in order to make appropriate decisions. I have looked into other peoples eyes as light comes into contact with them resulting in their pupils adjusting to the amount of light that crosses the eye. Telescopes allow people on Earth to physically observe planets, comics, and other space objects that help humans learn about what is beyond our atmosphere. Life is among different planets and understanding the main concepts of how these organisms are capable of living, give humans perspective about learning further about what is unknown to common knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  139. Hi professor,
    I was think of human eyes are one of the most complicated organs to the human body since I knew it have billions of pixels which is amazing. We can clearly see many things around us but it become faint when we try to observe tiny star on the sky. For see it and know more about things about the sky and stars, human invented the telescope to expand their eyes so that see further landscape. That is great and it is important for human to take a step to the universal.

    Yang Liu
    ASTR 152
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  140. Kevin Whitmarsh
    ASTR 152
    Spring 2017

    Telescopes are something that most everyone takes for granted. We may look into a telescope every once in awhile and see something that just amazes us. However, we never stop to think about how exactly that telescope functions to allow us to see what we see. Just as we view cars, we view telescopes, not understanding how they work, all the while expecting them to complete their job to our convenience. Learning how telescopes work really increases understanding on the ways light travels through the universe and how we are able to see the twinkling of stars from the ground, but not from images taken in space.

    ReplyDelete
  141. Hi professor,
    I always enjoy reading your blog post especially because of how you manage to relate them to the stories you had with your grandmother. I really enjoyed the part where you talk about how telescopes help one see things better because of the lens they carry. I remember my first time using a telescope it was amazing because I was at the beach. I also liked how you connected it to the human eye and the effects one has when entering a dark room because I strongly relate.

    Megan Perez
    Astronomy 152 (online)
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  142. Hey Professor,

    As usual, your blog is not only insightful, particularly this one, due to its talk about the travel of light and how the human eye views it, but I also enjoy how you always tie this back to your family history, which I find interesting. I had no idea that Galileo worked in Italy, guess you learn something new every day. Reading this was also memorable as it made me recall back to when I was a small boy and had a telescope, that I would view with my brother. Thank you!

    Sebastian Artola
    Astronomy 152 (Online)
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  143. Yekaterina Melnik, Astronomy 152 Online, Spring Semester 2017

    Having previously taken a photography class, I find it interesting how the eyes by nature are made to work so intricately like a digital camera, the eyes almost appear to be designed, much like how we design technology, nature is truly extraordinary and based off of nature we create even more extraordinary aspects such as technology that allow us to use what nature has given us to the fullest. I also found it interesting to learn that the telescopes work in a fairly similar manner to digital single lens reflex cameras, both use light to create images and the more massive the lens the greater the quality and the heavier it becomes requiring a tripod. I also found it interesting to learn why it is stars twinkle and apparently that is not a good thing as it causes distortion, however, I admit that I find it very beautiful when the sky is filled with twinkling stars.

    ReplyDelete
  144. Carlos Murillo
    ASTR 152, Spring 2017

    I have always wondered how a telescope was capable of collecting images from such far away celestial bodies. I can not believe that it is just through mirrors and lenses! And to think that our own eyes behave in the same way, capturing light through a lens in order to give us a picture of what is in front of us. Now I know a little more about what glasses, contacts, and laser eye surgery actually do. And it's funny to think how I always thought stars twinkled because the glowing fire on their surface would flicker and move just like a bonfire in a breeze. Another insightful blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  145. Zoe Pitko
    ASTR152
    It still amazes me that only less than 200 years ago Albert Einstein said that the space, time and mass are related. That is quite recent if you think about human history. Although Einstein couldn't have figured out that much with out the studies of Kepler and Newton. It is interesting to learn about all of these scientist who had a huge role, but they are all years apart from each other!

    ReplyDelete
  146. Zoe Pitko
    ASTR152
    It is very interesting that we have technology such as the telescope to see things we wouldn't be able to see with a naked eye. I recently visited the Griffith observatory, and they have a telescope that has a constant watch on the sun. It's quite the sight to see! I didn't know there were so many different size lenses that could be used also. (I accidentally put the wrong reply up sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  147. Noemi Castillo MonsivaisMarch 14, 2017 at 8:36 PM

    It's interesting to know how powerful our eyes are and also how we are able to know why and how we are able to see things, for example rainbows. Telescoped are also extremely powerful. Because of them we were able to see the spots on the Sun, which is crazy to say because we are so far from it. I have never seen through a telescope to look at our sky, but I'm sure that it would be awesome.
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  148. Hello Professor,
    I expected to be completely lost trying to understand a lecture all about telescopes, but I actually found it interesting and informative. It's amazing how such tiny lenses in our eyes are able to perceive things so far away in space. I was also amazed by all the different components and factors that goes into building a powerful telescope, and I was so amazed that we can use them so see things that were created right after the Big Bang. It's like time travel almost, to be able to see things so ancient and even to see the light of stars that no longer exist.
    ASTR 152
    SP2017

    ReplyDelete
  149. It is very interesting learning about how our eyes work. I was always curious as to why every time I come inside my house when it's sunny, I can't see right away. Its so amazing to learn how the telescope works and the factors that go into the telescope. Most people don't really care for the telescope, but it's such a great invention that has helped us look at stars from far away.

    ReplyDelete
  150. Hello Professor,

    The size of the eye in light and darker areas was interesting, I never knew that pupil opens up 4 times as much when we go into a dark room. Telescopes have always intrigued me, however I have never been able to look through one. I have looked through binoculars which is somewhat the same. It is pretty crazy how many components a telescope is comprised of.

    Steven Doshna
    ASTR 152 OL
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  151. I find it intriguing how so much information can be collected by the light and color and object emits. But it does make much sense, as for example how bright a star is can tell us its distance from earth. I didnt realize how much we can see with our eyes and that telescopes are just used to enhance this because, at least for me a telescope would be much more handy than my naked eye especially if you dont have 20/20 vision!

    ASTR 152
    Spring 2017
    #16522

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this was my comment but for some reason it didnt publish my name so re-listed it below

      Delete
  152. I find it intriguing how so much information can be collected by the light and color and object emits. But it does make much sense, as for example how bright a star is can tell us its distance from earth. I didnt realize how much we can see with our eyes and that telescopes are just used to enhance this because, at least for me a telescope would be much more handy than my naked eye especially if you dont have 20/20 vision!

    Lauren Chachula
    ASTR 152
    Spring 2017
    #16522

    ReplyDelete
  153. It is interesting to read about colors having different wavelengths. The fact that the human eye does not have the ability to expand and see more than perceived is a downfall. But the fact that modern technology has created telescopes that can expand and give a clear view of what is further away is incredible. I have always known that light travels faster than sound, but light travels so fast that whatever we seen has already been distorted and it is not the original image. Our eyes do not register fast enough for light. I find it astonishing, that the stars are not really twinkling, it is the air pockets in space that make us see twinkling lights. We need telescopes to see details of space but still the telescopes can only see so much.

    Juliana DLP
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  154. Yessenia Gramajo
    Astr 152/ Spring 2017

    It has always fascinated me to see how telescopes work. It always made me wonder how such a thing can zoom in so far away and still see it so clearly. It is astonishing to know that telescopes only use lenses and mirrors to collect these images. Just like our eyes, the way we distinguish colors is through our lenses. It is a shame that our eyes cannot perceive light as fast as it travels. It is something to know that the stars are not really twinkling like many people may believe. Very great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  155. Dominic Teran
    ASTRONOMY 152 ONLINE

    I was always fascinated by looking into the sky at night just like most others when they were young; and even to this day I like looking up in the sky when it's a clear night to see the formations of stars. It is crazy to think that with today's technology, you can see a somewhat detailed image of other planets in our solar system. I remember when I was around 8, I had a telescope that let me see the moon and stars a bit more closely and I thought that was impressive. Now telescopes are on a whole other level and I'm excited to see what they can do in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  156. Soraya Gomez
    ASTR 152
    I find it very interesting how telescopes have been used for years. It says here that Galileo used a telescope about 400 years ago. The fact that telescopes have been used for many years interests me because telescopes are continued to be used and they are important tools used to learn and understand the stars. I remember going to an observatory and looking through a telescope pointed at planet. My first thought was that it wasn't real. It was my first experience with a telescope so i couldn't believe i was looking at something so far away. It's crazy to think you can use a telescope to look at stars and other planets that are so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  157. La Vonne Centeno
    Astr 152/ Spring '17

    Through this blog, I learned more about the twinkling of the stars and more details about the telescope. The invention of the telescope is fascinating because it is able to show us objects from a really far distance. It makes our vision much more realistic and we get to learn more about our solar system. I also really liked that you referred to our eyes as cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  158. Hello Professor,

    I found this blog post to be very interesting! I have always wondered why the shadow of a knife had different colored faded bands around it. Now that is much more clear. Another thing I found interesting was how our pupils work with some time and adjustment. I never understood why transitioning from a bright environment to a dark environment was so harsh on my eyes. Now I know that our eyes work almost like a telescope where our pupils expand or depress depending on the light around us. Thankyou!

    Oyishee Siddiqui
    ASTR152/Spring'17

    ReplyDelete
  159. Good afternoon!

    The most interesting part for me here was all about the telescope. Telescopes have always called my attention! how one device can let you see so far away.

    This device has opened our doors to learn so much about far away places i believe

    ReplyDelete
  160. Sight is one thing that should be considered a gift. It is incredibly interesting how we depict light, color, and distance through sight. Every blog I read, I start to question and explore into deeper thought about why something is the way it is. Although I find it interesting, it also kind of scares me. For example before reading the blog I have questioned our sight. Such as, why is it that we can differentiate color? How can we see distant stuff like we see things up close? Why is it that, when it is dark we are still able to see or feel around us? Lastly, how does our sight contribute to memory? It is great to know our eyes are like cameras, with a 8mm size lens, and within the time of day, or amount of light available, the amount used is different.

    Cristina Zakaryan
    Astr 152: Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  161. I used to believe that our eyes can see more than what we can actually see. Maybe I’ve watched too many science-fiction movies to believe that our eyes can see farther than whats right in front of us but almost the future. To understand that our eyes use only 2mm of the 8mm of our own eyes tells me that we have technology that can continuously see more and more of the world beyond our own.

    Abigail Garcia
    Astr152 Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  162. Patricia Olivera Astronomy 152 Spring 2017

    Something I learned in this chapter and the blog is that light is important for the telescope to function. There are different kinds of wavelengths, like radio waves. It crazy how these can function without seeing them. It is a good thing that we had amazing astronomers/ scientist to discover these things and overtime we were able to improve the data they left us. Now we are learning this.

    ReplyDelete
  163. Reading through this post reminded me of how thankful we should be for the intelligent and curious astronomers that have lived here, such as Galileo, for they were the ones that started the basic building blocks of astronomy as we know it. I'm also reminded of how complicated and meticulous the human body is, our eyes built like telescopes. As an intelligent race, we have managed to create devices to aid us even further in identifying and observing celestial bodies. I personally can't wait to see what else will be discovered in the future!

    Jessica Levin Samarscova
    ASTR 152 Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  164. Eleonor Navarro ASTR 152-16522-Spring 2017
    Hello Professor,
    It's quite amazing how we are equipped with the tools to discover what lies beyond our earth. Telescopes help us look at the universe despite the large distance between our planet and outer space. What telescopes and satellites can tell us is more than what we could see with our naked eye. It's interesting how different waves exist without us even seeing them, like radio waves. Our perspective can be better improved with an understanding of science and the equipment to learn more about our atmosphere, earth, and universe.

    ReplyDelete
  165. Hello Professor,

    It was interesting to read about how telescopes allow us to see things that can not be seen by the human eye. It was so interesting to learn that telescopes allow us to see stars of very low luminosity. Telescopes have been advancing so much to the point where we are able to see how ancient stories come to life about stars and planets in the universe by being able to view objects in space that were formed billions of years ago. I wonder how advanced the future telescopes that will be invented will get!

    -Ren
    Astronomy 152

    ReplyDelete
  166. Alexandra FajardoMay 7, 2017 at 11:56 AM

    ASTRO 152

    Our own eyes do wonders for us. If we couldn't see colors and shapes and sizes then how would we know anything? Same goes with the correspondence to telescopes. The telescopes are so powerful in knowing more on the space surrounding us. It's so interesting to see read how the telescope can tell so much, like colors and distances to give us more information on the stars and planets.

    ReplyDelete
  167. Hi Professor,
    It really is amazing how close up you can see with a telescope. I am very thankful for my eyes but with the naked eye we can not see everything from a distance.
    Natalie Bedrosian
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  168. Prior to this blog post, I was never really introduced to the subject of a telescope and how it functions. I always simply thought of it as a something you look into; however, upon reading this blog post, I realized that it was something much more than that. Telescopes not only allow one to see an object that can not easily be seen with the human eye, but also it reveals stories and pictures within the objects. I also never realized how long the telescope has been used. It is crazy to think how it was also used in Galileo's time so hundreds of years ago. Telescopes are quite fascinating! Thank you for this blog post.

    Angella Dijamco
    ASTR 152 ( Online )
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  169. Sharmaine Cardenas ASTR 152 Spring 2017May 10, 2017 at 11:04 AM

    It's fascinating to understand the mechanics behind our vision and how our eyes receive light to create images. I did not know that in low-light settings we do not use the full diameter potential of our vision, but it makes sense now why our eyes take some time to adjust when going in to a dark room. I am also very intrigued by your acknowledgment that our eyes are limited to the colors of the rainbow only, and that the bigger telescopes became, the more we are able to explore the universe. I wonder what there is left to discover in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  170. I found the section about how much of our eyes we use to be fascinating. I can understand why our eye lens must expand to allow more light in for a clearer picture. I also learned more about telescopes than I had previously known, especially the part on space telescopes. I had no idea Galileo used a telescope to discover dark spots on the sun.


    Mahrum Arya Zahiri
    Astr152 Spring 2017
    100859250

    ReplyDelete
  171. David Gutierrez Astr152 Online Spring 2017May 11, 2017 at 5:25 PM

    I enjoyed this blog as it highlights the importance of telescopes in the exploration of our universe. They allow us to see beyond the limitations of the human eye and aid in viewing celestial bodies thousands of miles away from us. They also allow us to explore the rings around planets or the location of stars in our galaxy. I have never looked through a telescope before but it would be interesting to do so. The information describing the human eye is interesting as I believe it is one of the most important organs in our body. It is very sensitive to light exposure and allows us to view the wonders of the world from our perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  172. Costa Bustamante Astronomy 152 Spring 2017May 11, 2017 at 5:44 PM

    Telescopes have always been interesting to me. I remember my brother have a small play telescope which he would not let me use, but when I got the chance I would look through it and simply be amazed at what I was looking at. I never questioned the way it functioned until I learned it's proper functions a couple of years ago. The amount of light telescopes can collect only make them more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  173. I never truly appreciated how much our eyes work and how much they help us to everyday tasks until I had to start wearing glasses for certain things about 3 years ago. It is true that our eyes are like little cameras that adjust to light. For example my eyes begin to see dark spots when I'm staring at something so bright and tend to adjust to the light afterwards. And then the way telescopes work is incredible, they can see and observe things that I thought weren't even possible.

    Emery Hernandez
    ASTR 152 Online
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  174. telescopes really change in a good way the way people examine the space. Our eyes are gifts from birth that give us the opportunity to explre the world around us and understand it. Telescopes help us to see more than eye can do and help us explore the space's activities.

    ReplyDelete
  175. this blog post had very useful information, i loved how you were very clear and precise with the topic, way better and more organized compared to the book texts

    Md Alam
    Astr152 Online
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  176. I've always wanted to look through a telescope but sadly i've never had the opportunity to do so. It's crazy to think that the eye can only see so little but with an instrument like that you can see far more. They open your eye up to newer possibilities that you hadn't experienced before.

    ReplyDelete
  177. This blogpost really makes me appreciate the use of a telescope; the fact there is an object that helps you see something that the naked eye cannot is simply extraordinary. Also, this blogpost had really informed me on how advanced our telescopes are now.

    ReplyDelete
  178. Elizabeth RodriguezMay 13, 2017 at 9:14 PM

    ASTR 152
    Telescopes are an amazing invention because allow us to see things in a greater magnitude than we ever thought we would be able to. it is amazing how for we've advanced that we may now be able to see things that were there when the universe was first created. I've always wanted to look through a telescope especially the one at the griffith observatory, but I've never had the chance. I hope to one day experience this magnificent invention.

    ReplyDelete
  179. ASTR152




    ASTR152
    Hello Professor,
    I wanted to let you know that this lecture blog post was very intriguing. I learned more about light and telescopes. The effects of light and how it behaves, no matter how big or small the telescope is. I always visited the Griffith Observatory ever since I was little and loved looking through the huge telescope, viewing the night sky. Vividly looking at our solar system, the galaxy. The showings that they put at night are so amazing. Now knowing more information from here, got me more interested. I can't wait to view more of the heavens through my very own eyes.
    - Megan Sumergido

    ReplyDelete
  180. I remember in middle school, we had a day where we were able to observe the planets using the telescope. I looked into the telescope during the day and night and observed our planets. Without the telescopes, they looked like regular stars in the sky, however; with the telescope you can see details such as color. Even though it's not as significant, considering the distance between the observer and the object is fascinating and shows the power of mirrors and reflections. Great post.!
    -Anthony Martires (ASTRO 152)

    ReplyDelete
  181. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  182. Christelli CarmonaMay 14, 2017 at 11:04 PM

    I appreciate technology for what it can do for us, such as being able to see stars from many light years. It's incredible how far technology can take us. When I was younger, I wanted a telescope and a microscope, so I could observe the sky and my surroundings on my own. Now that I am older and in college, I am glad to have these kind of resources around me that is free of us.

    ReplyDelete
  183. This blog helped me understand how telescopes work much better. I find it fascinating how we can use something so small to see something so big. I always thought of telescopes as a magnifying glass I never really realized that there is so much more to it. Personally, I've never looked through a telescope but recently my brother and I have been putting one together so with the help of this class I'll be able to use it when we finish building it.

    Nazenie Parsamyan
    ASTR 152 (Online) Summer 2017

    ReplyDelete
  184. I have never been a very tech savvy person, so things like this tend to confuse me. However, I actually sort of understand. I am not saying I'm an expert-- far from it-- but I understand the basics of a telescope now. I love the idea of being able to look up at the stars and everything else in space because I just get a feeling of peace-- it's so peaceful in space.

    ReplyDelete
  185. I learned a lot more about telescopes due to this blog post. The most interesting thing was learning about the twinkling and movement of stars. It still amazes me that telescopes have the power to see so far.

    Amber Daoud
    ASTR 152 Summer

    ReplyDelete
  186. this is a great post professor about telescopes and how light work in telescopes. its a new thing for me and i enjoyed reading this blog. thank you.

    Abdulaziz Almurad
    ASTR 152 Summer

    ReplyDelete
  187. I think it's amazing, because the article tells us how light works. What we see only a brain synthesis results, which contains a lot of knowledge. I think it is important to be broadened.
    Zezhou Xu
    ASTR152 summer

    ReplyDelete