Wednesday, February 5, 2014

When the Sun disappear from the sky


When the Sun disappear from the sky
Debi Prasad Choudhary
Los Angeles, 2/4/2014

It is frightening to see the sun suddenly disappear in broad daylight!! No wonder, in all parts of the world there are stories of the sun or the moon getting eaten away by animals, devils or evil souls to cause these events.  Native American folklore describe the event as the sun or the moon caught by one of the wolves witnessed by the Vikings, who saw two wolves chasing them. In some parts of the world, like Vietnam, people thought frog or toad eating them, which for me is incomprehensible, considering the sun so powerful. The Chinese folklore holds a dragon eating the sun, so they beat drum to scare the sun-eater. Again, if some thing can eat the sun, I would hardly believe it can be scared by drum noise!! According to the Cherokee Legend, the sun started profusely weeping as a rattlesnake in a complicated event involving her brother moon and humans bit her daughter. This unhappy event represents eclipse, although I would have thought moon to be the sister, being pleasant!! 

These events are seriously taken by ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Indians. Egyptians thought the sun as god, bringing light to our world in day and taking it to the world of dead in the night. At times an evil serpent god tries to stop him, causing eclipse. Greeks worshiped the sun - God Helios and observed carefully. The eclipse was some thing a bad omen. We find in Greek writing: "Nothing there is beyond hope, nothing that can be sworn impossible, nothing wonderful, since Zeus, father of the Olympians, made night from mid-day, hiding the light of the shining Sun, and sore fear came upon men. - Archilochus". Greeks also discovered that the pattern of eclipses repeat after 18 years 11 and 1/3 days called Saros Cycle.

Now, I am proud of the stories from my Granny, considering the people’s imagination of small creatures eating the sun. She said, in the beginning of the creation the ocean was churned, out of which a pot of nectar emerged. The nectar had power of making one immortal, so they were distributed only to Gods. Two demons, Rahu and Ketu, took the form of Gods and tried to steel the nectar. The Sun and the Moon recognized them and reported to the supreme God, who beheaded Rahu and Ketu before they swallowed the nectar. So, their head without the body became immortal!!! Since then, they chase the sun and the moon and occasionally eat them. But, since they do not have a stomach, the sun and the moon come out soon. However, this being an evil, inauspicious event, we used to take bath after every eclipse and go to a temple to pray and give gift to priests and learned man to do penance. As a child, I always thought, it is not my fault, I did not do any thing wrong, some body else ate the moon - why should I do the penance?

Until recently, my parents never saw an eclipse. They were in a closed-door house during a solar or lunar eclipse. I witnessed the grand fantastic view of total eclipse in 1995, while conducting an experiment to study the dust ring around the sun. In 2009, I took my parents to show another total solar eclipse. Since it happened to be in the bank of a sacred river, my father among many family members came to see the eclipse. While my father was reading Holy Scriptures, my son made sure that he does not miss those two minutes of grand view. My mother enjoyed the event the most, although she insisted to perform the post eclipse rituals, which we obelized.

This was possible because today we know clearly why the eclipses happen. As the earth goes around the sun and the moon around the earth, they cast shadow, being opaque, nonluminous objects. The solar eclipse happens, when the moon shadow falls on the earth, while lunar eclipse is resulted as the moon enters the earth’s shadow. Eclipses are called total when the earth or the moon enters the regions of complete shadow. You will notice red colored moon during a total lunar eclipse, because of the illumination of moon’s surface by the scattered sunlight from earth’s atmosphere – similar to the color of evening sky. Since earth casts a larger shadow, the lunar eclipses are more frequent and long duration compared to solar eclipses that rarely happen only for few minutes (longest being about six minutes) and never cover the entire earth.

The earth goes around the sun and the moon goes around the earth in elliptical path. Unlike the circular path, where all points on the circle are at equal distance from the center, in an elliptical path there is a point nearest to the center and a point farthest from the center that result changing distance of the moon and the sun from earth at different times - when they appear bigger or smaller. The moon goes around the earth and spins around its own axis. The spinning period and the period for going around the earth are almost same. As a result, we see only one side of the moon all the time. Depending on the orientation of the sun, which illuminates moon and earth, we see parts of the moon progressively from full moon to new moon. During the full moon the illuminated side is towards us as the earth is situated between the sun and the moon. In new moon, the moon is situated between the sun and earth, so the illuminated side is away from us. Between these two extreme situations, we see waning and waxing crescents and gibbous.  Such locations of the moon also cause tidal effects producing periodic high tides at a particular location.

The sun-earth-moon geometry is the reason we see the solar eclipses on new moon days and lunar eclipse on full moon days. So, why does it not happen every month? Because, the plane in which the moon and earth are located is tilted by about 4 degrees to the plane in which the sun and earth are located (called ecliptic plane). So, most of the time, the shadows are missed by each other. With precise orbital calculations, we can now predict when such rare situations would occur. 

Also, it is a great coincidence that the angular size of the sun and the moon are same, about half degree, which makes the solar eclipse possible. The size of the sun and the moon are 1,391,000 km and 3475 km. Their distances from earth are 149, 600, 000 km and 384, 400 km respectively.  So, they produce same angle on earth. In the sky, the sizes or distances are measured in angular scale. A circle has 360 degrees. One easy way of roughly estimating the size in the sky is to stretch your arm and keep the thump in front of your eye so that it blocks the view behind. The amount of area it blocks is about one degree. You can block two suns or moons by placing the thump in front of your eye by stretching the arm.

Because the angular size of the sun and the moon are exactly same, half a degree, the moon covers the disk of the sun. Disk of the sun means, the projection of spherical sun on the sky that looks as a disk, from which, on a normal day we receive all the sunlight, also called the photosphere. During the total solar eclipse, this part of the sun is covered, so we can see its less dense atmosphere that is mostly dominated with hydrogen and helium gas with traces of other elements at different stages of heat. The hydrogen gives a red look and Helium a yellow look. Unlike the photosphere, which is mostly white, the atmosphere looks colored, so known as Chromosphere. In fact, in 1868, during a solar eclipse in India, a French astronomer Pierre Janssen discovered Helium on the sun. At that time people thought this element exists only on the sun, so named as Helium after the Greek God Helios.  Later in 1895 helium was discovered on the earth. There are many other important scientific discoveries during the experiments conducted in the solar eclipses.

As the total solar eclipse happens, progressively the moon will cover the sun. The shadows will start becoming long and really frightening. In the end, just before the totality, a small bright glow will appear, that is known as Diamond Ring. Diamond ring appears due to the leaking of the sunlight through the uneven edge of the moon. When the sun is fully covered, the chromosphere will be seen nearer to the solar disk, surrounded by an extended corona, which is mostly white light – the sunlight scattered towards us by the surrounding electrons.  The chromosphere would some times consist of structured objects called prominences, which are magnetic field structures filled with mostly hydrogen gas. The Corona would be circular when the sun is active, and elongated if it is not active.

If the moon were located at a greater distance, we would have missed its shadow or it would never have entered earth’s shadow. So, no eclipse, no folklores and no scare. But, who knows what else would have happened. Studies show that, the current configuration of earth-moon system keeps the tilt of the earth’s axis stable, which result in periodic seasons. If that were not sot so, there would be unpredictable hot and cold situation hindering the progress of modern society. Anyway, that is another story.

Note: A total solar eclipse will be observed over North America (starting in Oregon and ending in South Carolina) on August 21, 2017. It is a once in a lifetime event, so get ready to witness.
Get more information on this event from the following websites:

232 comments:

  1. These blogs are created for my online astronomy class in California State University Northridge. The aim is to convey astronomical concepts informally. Since they may interest wider audience, I publish them on Blogger. All comments are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emmeli Tomth (Astr 152 Fall 2016)September 14, 2016 at 5:19 PM

      When the sun seems to disappear from the sky during the day I agree that it both looks beautiful but at the same time frightening. When I was little I remember stepping outside in the courtyard of the area where I lived and my dad took out some photo paper of some sort for my sister and I to look at the eclipse through. I remember thinking that this was a very unique moment and I have still to have seen it again to this day.
      Its so fascinating how cultures throughout the globe all have, even though different, but philosophically pretty similar tales of what happens during an eclipse.

      It is interesting to think about why the moon and the sun and the earth is at the distances from each other that they are and what would happen if it wasn’t so. We know so little about the universe and yet the average person do not walk around wondering about the magnitude of it on a daily basis instead we worry about which pair of jeans to buy, at least here in the United states.

      Delete
    2. Liudmila Menshikova (Astr 152 Fall 2016)September 15, 2016 at 1:01 PM

      This was a very interesting blog post mostly because it made me really want to witness a total eclipse. Of course, I've always known about the eclipses but I have never to this day actually realized what a beautiful, magnetic, and all the while somewhat scary thing that is.
      You were talking about the Sun and how it creates so many different stories by just existing. It is very obvious and expected to me though as the Sun is an object of such prominence! I would expect it to produce all kinds of crazy folklore tales.
      The whole geometry of the eclipse is very overwhelming to me as a person who doesn't know that much about astronomy. However, it's still very engaging and makes me want to know more. I've never heard of the Diamond Ring before reading this post but it made me want to observe it in real life.

      Delete
    3. It is really fascinating to know about the ancient stories of eclipse because I have not heard about that before. In addition, I have a chance to know the reason why we can see the solar eclipse on the new moon days and lunar eclipse on full moon days and also why it does not happen every month. I have known the eclipse as a normal phenomenon before, but now I understand more about it.

      Delete
    4. Phuong Truong (Astr 152 Fall 2016)
      It is really fascinating to know about the ancient stories of eclipse because I have not heard about that before. In addition, I have a chance to know the reason why we can see the solar eclipse on the new moon days and lunar eclipse on full moon days and also why it does not happen every month. I have known the eclipse as a normal phenomenon before, but now I understand more about it.

      Delete
    5. The moon has always been a strong fascination for me and the stories about the eclipse made me more curious to know more. This blog post has answered many questions I did have about the solar and lunar eclipse, and although I was quite familiar, I now know much more. The differences between both eclipses are intriguing because of the stories behind it all as well !

      Delete
    6. It is really interesting how different cultures give their own explanation to explain Sun's and Moon's activities, We can see how ancients use to think and how important was for them the Sun and the Moon.

      Delete
    7. I really enjoyed reading this as I was fascinated by how different the ideas are among the different cultures, and I realized how scary it really must be to have the sun disappear for some time without really knowing a fully logical reason why. It's a great phenomenon and I am excited for the eclipse next year!

      Delete
    8. Greetings Professor,
      I find it really interesting that all the articles on this blog are related to old folk stories. It is also interesting that the sun disappearing is in some way related to the Egyptians understanding.

      - Marina Melkumyan
      ASTR 152 FALL 2016 ONLINE

      Delete
    9. I really enjoyed reading about the ancient Egyptians and how they believed the sun god was being attacked by an evil serpent during a Lunar Eclipses. It's also interesting hearing other ancient cultures folklore and knowing that we have the scientific reasoning behind lunar eclipse now. So instead of being scared, people can appreciate the beauty of it. -Star Alcazar 2016 AST 152 fall

      Delete
    10. Cindy Tovar ASTR 152 OnlineSeptember 18, 2016 at 9:08 PM

      My mom would tell me that an aspect of love can be described by the sky. The sun shies away every night just to let it's moon shine, destined to never be together until single moments in time would to bring them together for a single touch of embrace giving them mercy upon their forever love. I, being a weird little kid, was more fascinated by the science of an eclipse and the sky rather then the love stories but even then i knew that both sides were very interesting and life changing.

      Delete
    11. Daniel Salas ASTR 152 Fall 2016September 18, 2016 at 9:38 PM

      I honestly thought that solar eclipses are something that are rare and that they happened out of the blue. It’s interesting to know that the solar eclipse happens, when the moon shadow falls on the earth, and while the lunar eclipse is resulted as the moon enters the earth’s shadow. It’s interesting to know that this does not happen every month due to the sun-earth-moon geometry due to the ecliptic plane. It’s great to know what tale’s ancient folklore can make with astronomy, and it’s interesting to know the science behind it as well. Also a special thank you to professor Choudhary for putting the date on the next solar eclipse that will cover North America that will be on August 21, 2017.

      Delete
    12. Ayesha Mumtaz ASTR 152 Fall 2016September 18, 2016 at 10:39 PM

      This article was especially interesting to me because it discussed Egyptian history and the Egyptian's folklore regarding the moon and the sun. I think we all grew up with stories that somewhat explained the phenomenon of the sun and the moon. As a child, I remember looking out the car window and telling my parents that we were being followed by the sun. Growing up and becoming an accounting major, I learned very little astronomy. Reading posts like such takes me back to my childhood and helps explain some of the things I thought were mere magic back then.

      Delete
    13. Kimberly Esparza (Astr 152 Fall 2016)September 18, 2016 at 10:44 PM

      I once watched a lunar eclipse and i thought it was so cool and interesting! I didn't know anything about these folklore and I find it pretty amazing how even back then the Egyptians, Greeks and, Indians were taken so seriously!

      Delete
    14. Growing up I would also see a rabbit in the moon which made sense since the moon is made out of cheese. I was told by others that they could see a face but I never could regardless how hard I tried. I've alway liked the moon feels peaceful not scary. One of my favorite thing to do in Northern California was bonfires on the beach and and watch the moon reflect in the ocean. I liked that you talked about what other people around the world think of the moon. The moon holds a mystery that people all over the world find attractive mostly because you can see the moon and not the sun.

      Juvenal lopez

      ASTR 152 online fall 2016

      Delete
    15. I want to see the solar eclipse next year just how you saw the total eclipse in 1995! That must've been a sight to see Professor. I want the see hydrogen creating a red look in the sky and I also want to see it turn yellow because of the helium. But a Chromosphere, whoa, that really is something. It's crazy to think that, that is above us (not everyday that we see it, but it would be amazing if it did!). Also, thanks to that discovery of helium, we now have balloons for parties and when you want your voice to sound high pitched! Thank goodness the moon is not located at the greater distance, otherwise there would be no eclipses, etc.

      Delete
    16. I remember thinking to myself as a young girl about why it would become dark and how we knew that there would be light the next day. As I read your blog, things are bit more clear now on how and why the sun and moon work the way they do around the earth. I also find it really fascinating on how the world makes discoveries; for example, you mention that in 1868, there was a French astronomer who discovered Helium on the sun, which is why they named it after the Greek God Helios. However, a couple years later in 1895, Helium was also discovered on Earth. So it’s interesting to see how we rely on other people’s source of information. Makes me think that some of the discoveries, may still need more discovering because there couldn’t be a deeper explanation that we just haven't seen yet, like Pluto.

      Delete
    17. It was fascinating to know the historical background on the Sun and the Moon where our ancients had made their thoughts and imaginations into, for us, dramatic stories, which probably they believed in back in the days. It was also interesting that the ancients' beliefs toward the Solar system differentiated by ethnics and made me wonder what belief my ancients had toward the Sun and the Moon. So far, I got to know that Japanese ancients thought there exists the God of the Sun in the daytime and the God of the Moon in the nighttime. Another information I got was that the solar eclipse was a bad omen as lots of ancients made their thought on it. It seemed difficult to find the information though, it still seems really interesting to look up, so I would do it! And I'm looking forward to encountering a solar eclipse next summer!

      Yuiko Maki (ASTR 152)

      Delete
    18. This article was very cool I never thought about how things that are so normal to us now, how scary they were to people in the past. Ive never had the chance to experience an eclipse personally but i think it would be truly enlightening to experience a dark sun for a few minutes.

      Delete
    19. I found this article very interesting and never heard about a solar eclipse before, only about a lunar eclipse. I have yet not experienced seeing an eclipse before so I find it really exciting to know about the solar eclipse this year in August, hopefully I am able to see it. Reading the stories from different cultural beliefs about the eclipse was interesting, and made me think about how in my culture they say when their is a lunar eclipse a women who is pregnant should wear a pin on their clothing so that the baby does not come out with any birth effects. Reading this article has taught me about the causes of the two eclipses that I never thought about why they occurred. The way the earth goes around the sun and the moon around the earth in elliptical path due to the different points resulting changes in the distance of the moon and the sun from earth at different times.

      Delete
  2. I welcome the comments from all individuals, not limited to the students only, who would like to post them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this article, it was so informative as to how the sun, moon, and earth move simultaneously and the results of their alignments. It was also cool to learn that the sun and moon coincidentally have the same angular size. Lastly, reading about the many different cultural beliefs of eclipses was fun, especially the dragon in China and the sun god in Egypt, make such beautiful stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very interesting article. I am amazed at all these stories you know and they all seem very interesting. I find it amazing that a lot of the stories are of how the sun and moon is always eaten. I feel like the stories show a lot about the culture of every country and that the stories show how life is/was being lived like when those stories were created. I've never personally seen a solar eclipse but I would very much like to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Felicita Penas
    ASTR 152 OL

    This blog was very interesting! Your childhood stories not only help navigate the reader but also depict the topic. It was very insightful reading about the solar and lunar eclipse. I could say that I truly have a much better understanding about eclipses after the reading. As a child I was also aware of eclipses, but never had a clear explanation about eclipses. It is until now that I am able to distinguish the difference between a lunar and solar eclipse. Lastly, I look forward to witnessing the 2017 solar eclipse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Torounian, Larisa [larisa.torounian.20@my.csun.edu]
    Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:18 PM
    To:
    Choudhary, Debi Prasad
    Blog response #3 When the Sun......
    Love this one the most because I was always amazed to hear about the solar eclipse. Even though it's pretty confusing for me to truly understand it I'm fascinated by it. I found it very informative that moon earth location is tilted 4 degrees to the plane and due to this shadows are missed and when the solar eclipse will happen.
    I just wish i could be part of the 8/21/2017 Solar Eclipse :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see a solar eclipse so I cannot wait for 2017 to come! I never knew for sure if the angular size of the sun and the moon were the same, so it is nice to know that they are. It also makes sense for them to be the same size in order to create the solar eclipse. It also interesting to know that the correlation between the moon and earth systems is what keeps earth tilt stable. I enjoy the culture that you bring for each learning lesson--it makes it exciting and new in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lian Liu from your ASTR152 OL class.

    I have never imagined that Sun disappear from sky. If it really happen, I think all the live species will dead. They can not live without Sun. If there is not Sun, the whole world will become cold. Live species can not maintain their live in that cold situation. After I read this blog, I got more specific knowledge of earth, moon and sun. How they interact on others. I really like you introduce these information in this style. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christian Estrada
    ASTR 152

    I have to admit that I never really had a chance to experience an eclipse. I know you can only see some with certain glasses or a telescope, and I have seen them online with those live image shows that they stream over the internet, but I've never really been able to experience it. I really appreciate your use of childhood memories and stories to further your knowledge and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved reading about the total solar eclipse and cannot wait to witness the next one in 2017. Seeing an eclipse is one of the many things on my list to do before I die. In this blog, there were many new facts and definitions that were new to me but all the more relevant to solar eclipses. It is fascinating how rare and fascinating they come and go. If there was one thing that I love about astronomy, it is learning about the solar eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can relate to this blog because growing up my mother would always portray God as being "powerful and bright." That God sends his powers and miracles via the sun. And of course after sundown, the evil would come out and hence why robbery and theft, and other "bad things happen at night time," and therefore we were not allowed to stay out late. After all, all bad things happened at night.

    I have yet to experience an eclipse, especially after reading the differences of solar eclipse and lunar eclipse. I believe that life is beautiful and we live our lives daily not knowing and or appreciating these great events. For example, I have witnessed the moon being full and having color, but I absolutely had no ideas how these events happened.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once again I thank you for sharing you stories with us. It is always interesting to read your blog, I also like the fact that they are related to the topic we were discussing this week. I never experienced any type of eclipse. Even though I wanted too, I always seem to fall asleep when its happening. I know that the next eclipse wont come for another few years. By then hopefully I will get to experience something so magical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This article is very interesting, talking about the dragon eat the suns, or even the sun or the moon caught by one of the wolves witnessed by the Vikings, who saw two wolves chasing them. When I was a child i used to believe the legend and the stories about dragon eating the sun. However, according to my grandma, once she told me a very mysterious legend. It was very fun, she told me that there used to be 10 suns on the sky. It was really hot and dry. Therefore, a guy named Houyi, he plucked up his courage and volunteered for shooting down the sun. He ended up succeed, shot down nine other suns. He became a human legend in our history. Although it seems impossible, but I still think he is a hero. However, the real reason why the sun suddenly disappear in broad daylight is eclipse. I have never seen eclipse is my life. I wish one day I can see eclipse in the sky, in stead of watching through news or television.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melissa Khan
    AST 152

    I've never seen an eclipse in my life. But I feel that it would definitely be an extraordinary experience. I hear about how beautiful they are from those who have seen one and definitely makes me want to find time. So Hopefully when the next one comes I will be able too. What makes it even more exciting is the anticipation, knowing that they are not around all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brianna McDonald - ASTR152February 18, 2014 at 10:45 PM

    Again, I think your granny's stories are awesome and love how you incorporate it with what we are reading in the book. These articles really help me comprehend what I am reading in the book. The way you describe facts are easy to understand, like how during a lunar eclipse the moon appears red because of of sunlight from the earths atmosphere. I have never witnessed an eclipse, but I know understand how it happens and am more clear on the aspects of the moon.
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow thats so exciting! a few more years and we will get to experience a total solar eclipse! I found it interesting that we in California will not be able to experience it firsthaded. The path in which the shadow will be visible is a diagonal path across the United States. That means that line will continue south east into the globe and other continents will be able to witness it too, right? It is also astonishing the relative size of the sun versus the moon. The sun is huge! No wonder we get to see the moon at night. It is very close compared to the sun! The sun is just so massive that the only way we know it's there is because of its energy that we recieve!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maria Gonzalez
    ASTR 152 Blog

    Thank you for sharing this blog! I thought this one was funny because of how people in the past would try to explain why the sun “disappeared” - saying that wolves, or frogs or dragons ate the sun which is interesting because the sun is more powerful than these creatures! I love how you include childhood stories from family. I can’t wait to witness a solar eclipse in 2017 especially now with the knowledge I have so far.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wilber Monroy
    ASTR 152 ONLINE CLASS

    The sun is our main source of energy and it would be a great concern if it no longer existed. We can relate to the stories and myths about the sun disappearing, we all have our own stories and origins on how life and the universe come to be part of our daily life activities. I also cherish my childhood stories about the sun, stars, and the universe. Great blog article, this one simply amazes me, thank you for sharing professor!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing your personal stories professor! Reading these blogs before the quiz/ assignment really help to have a better knowledge about the chapter.
    It is interesting how we all as kids have our imaginative and mysterious stories about our universe. In my story of the total lunar eclipse sun was the father of the moon and so the sun would sometimes get mad at his son. The sun would hit the moon and moon would change his color from white to red. So as a kid I was told to behave or else the sun could get mad and punish me by hitting our planet. By doing so we would have a darker planet, no sun shine and no moon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Duong Sam
    ASTR 152 Blog

    I have heard about another folk story about the sun and the moon. I cannot recall the names of each but I remember that it was among the Aztecs. It was about Coyolxauhqui; the Moon goddess. She was the daughter of the Earth goddess, Coatlicue and the sister of the Sun god, Huitzilopochtli. One day she had four hundred brothers and sisters to kill her mother. Coatlicue was pregnant with Coyolxauhqui's brother, Huitzilopochtli who came out of his mother as a fully armed adult and saved his mother. He cut his sister's into piece but specifically cut her head off to be thrown into the sky as the moon so that their mother could be comforted to see her daughter every night. Then there were other stories that Huitzilopochtli would chase his sister in the sky and she would run away, but one day reunite causing the eclipse.

    But reading your blog really helped me to distinguish between a lunar and eclipse. I really cannot wait to see the next solar eclipse in 2017 since I never saw one before or can't remember witnessing one. I really enjoyed how you incorporated different cultural aspects about the moon and sun; a lot of myths and folktales that I want to read now! Thank you professor.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Elin Madadian from Astronomy 152OL

    This article was very interesting! I didn’t grow up on a lot of folk tales that had to do with natural elements of the world so it is cool for me to hear other people's stories from when they were little. It is interesting how a lot of those old folk tales had to do with eating the moon. When I was in elementary school, I remember when the clouds would cover the sun randomly for a few seconds and the playground would get dark and then suddenly light again, it almost felt like the sun had disappeared but obviously it was just slightly covered by clouds. I find it bizarre that I have not seen a solar eclipse so I will definitely need to remember to be on the look out for the 2017 one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The fact that you started off by saying how different cultures believe in different things when they see the sun or the moon disappearing. That tells a lot about the culture and their beliefs. What’s also interesting is that the size of the sun and the moon are the same. I always thought that the sun was larger because of it being sunny. And in 2017 I cannot wait to witness such an amazing thing after taking this course.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Joseph Wright ASTR152 OL
    This article was really interesting and informative! What I liked best was all the crazy stories that justified why the sun would leave at night time and come back for the day. Although all of these stories seem extremely far-fetched, most of the cultures seem to take it seriously. I agree with your argument because to me all these stories make no sense at all. I enjoyed reading this post because it shows the cultural differences between all these countries and it is fun to hear all the different stories.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for interesting article. I truly enjoyed reading it. Once again the connection of your childhood stories help to have better understanding about the subject. This article is also informative, which helps reader gain knowledge about astronomy. It was interesting to know that the sun-earth-moon geometry is the reason we see the solar eclipses on new moon days and lunar eclipse on full moon days. Another fact that surprise me is that the size of the sun and the moon are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Billy J. Vasquez
    ASTR 152 OL

    This article is very informative. I honestly have never really paid much attention to the planets, the moon, the sun or anything related to Astronomy. From these few lectures i have learned a lot, and definitely from your blogs. It is great to read an article from a passionate person for astronomy. This specific post helps me gain knowledge on our solar eclipses and lunar eclipses. I never looked into this, but now that i read it, i want to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have yet to see a solar or lunar eclipse. That is actually one item that I have on my bucket list. I have always had some sort of interest in astronomy. I mainly find myself wondering about stars. I wonder how close they are, if they are fixed to a position, when they will die. I have also wondered how lunar and solar eclipses are created. I should have read this blog before completing the assignment. For Assignment 4 I will definitely look at the blog post first because it clarifies a lot of the information from the book through a story. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. In the 7th grade I had taken a Greek Mythology elective class and studied about the Greeks worshiping the sun - God Helios, but reading about the Native American, Vietnamese, and Chinese folklore was new. I had never learned of animals being associated with the sun and moon before. I had heard stories about rituals you discussed from a personal perspective relating to the eclipse before, once I had seen a similar ritual performed in a Indian soap opera as well. As a child I had thought that the earth's path was circular, however the earth goes around the sun and the moon goes around the earth in elliptical path. Every blog I gain more knowledge, another fact I had not remembered was that the angular size of the sun and the moon are exactly same. The note at the bottom of the blog about a occurring on August 21, 2017 in North America is great information. Since it is a once in a lifetime event I do not want to miss the chance. Thank you for the prior notice professor.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I found it very interesting reading your blog and clearly understanding the cause of a lunar eclipse. Reading your blogs allows me to understand the textbook material in another perspective that I didn’t understand by only reading the chapters. When you brought up the fact that you and your family went and watched the eclipse take place, it reminded me of when my sisters and I would sit in my front yard and star gaze until we saw a shooting star or more often got too tired and went to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I find it interesting that stories of the sun or the moon getting eaten away by animals, devils or evil souls existed. I feel as if there were all kinds of crazy stories that our ancestors told.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mandy Leung ASTR 152 ONLINE

    I always wanted to see a Lunar eclipse but I never understood why those eclipse happens. This blog gives me a sense of hearing folk stories about the moon and stars. It is always interesting hearing those stories of what our ancestors think about when it comes to the sky. Some make sense and some just does not. I am excited to see the next eclipse though. It will be my first one that I will witness.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Professor,
    Thank you for sharing another story with us. I find the ancient beliefs, myths, and legends very interesting. I remember in middle school I read a novel called "Tangerine" which was about a boy who went blind while looking at a solar eclipse. Ever since I read that book I have been very interesting in eclipses and have always wanted to see one myself, with proper protection of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Professor Choudhary,
      I really enjoy reading these blog posts. They should all be put together as a book, because there is so much I learn from them. I really enjoy reading the mythic stories as well, such as the sun and the moon. Most of all, the topic of the moon has always been an interest of mine, so I very much appreciate this writing piece. Thank you!

      Marina Melkumyan
      ASTR 152 ONLINE
      FALL 2016

      Delete
  32. Aaron Thongchua ASTR 152 Online

    I found it very interesting how the angular size of the moon and the sun are practically the same. That is such a great coincidence. I also like the way many different cultures believed that different animals would eat the sun or moon. I can not wait for the solar eclipse in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ana Avalos
    ASTR 152 Online
    This was an interesting blog. I never really understood what an eclipse was and how it happened. Ive heard stories, bright daylight and out of nowhere darkness, pretty scary but would really like to experience an eclipse. Its pretty amazing how astronomy consists of geometry, angles, degrees and math, basically.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Farnum Darabi ASTR 152 Online
    I enjoyed reading the article, i just don't believe in multiple gods and fantasy worlds about sun gods and moon gods, i believe that stuff is all made up stuff, kind of like a cartoon, in which i cannot take seriously. But, these stories are perceived as mankinds way of explaining science of astronomy to a whole new level. I find it intriguing about the sun-earth-moon geometry and how solar and lunar eclipses occur during new moon and full moon days. Also, i did not know that as a total eclipse happens, the sun moves behind the moon which is a very interesting fact.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Karen Khan ASTR 152May 2, 2014 at 3:08 PM

    Your stories add a fun element to our class. I really enjoy reading each and every one of these. I had never heard of animals eating the sun and therefore resulting in an eclipse but its I can see how some cultures use these stories to explain what is happening in the sky above us. Again thank you for sharing professor really enjoy these articles.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Natalie Jimenez ASTR 152May 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM

    I have always found interesting how there are so many theories regarding one topic, in this case the Sun. Every culture has their own theories regarding the functions of the sky, mostly urban legends that have been passed down through generations. In regards to the eclipse, I think it would be amazing to see it happen. We had one happening this year but I was unable to see it. So, I am looking forward to the next one in the next couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  37. How strange it must have been for the Greeks to learn of the cycle controlling eclipses, the Saros cycle. They went from believing the eclipses were sent to show omens were afoot to realizing there is a scientific and exact amount of time that it will take before seeing another eclipse. I found it helpful to understand how a “red moon” is made, with scattered sunlight creating the reddish hue. The reasoning behind a constant dark side of the moon is clearly explained here. I previously learned why this happened in class and while pondering the title of the Pink Floyd album, but had a hard time fully grasping until now. It is very helpful to have the idea of angular size explained; I didn’t know that the sun and moon are nearly identical in size. I have always assumed the sun was much larger. Science has come a long way since its ancient birth amongst mankind. It is strange that helium was viewed on the sun before Earth. Something like Helium was so close to us and yet we thought the only place it existed was on our star.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is Robert Braden Villa from ASTR 152 Online. How interesting that as a child you had to do penance because someone else ate the moon. I can't even imagine thinking such things because in all of my lifetime that I can remember I knew what an eclipse was and what was happening. My mom told me. It was never scary but a fun event to observe. Ever since I was a child I have had a deep interest in and love for the moon. This began when I was very young and I would wait for hours to see Santa Clause and his reindeer cross in front of the moon so I could see them. I swore more than once that I had actually seen a glimpse. This developed later into a love for the beautiful moon. I enjoy now having a name for the different stages of the moon. I never knew what a waxing or waning moon was or even that those names existed for what I was observing and enjoying. Thank you again for another fascinating blog.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Dear Professor,

    This blog intrigued me. I felt like you were reading my thoughts when you would exemplify the fact that the sun holds such great power, how could something eat it. Also if something could eat it how could you scare off the sun-eater with the banging of drums. This was exactly what I was thinking.

    Another thing I found very interesting was the fact that given the moons location, it is possible to create high tides. When we realize the moon and stars have an impact on our climate and ocean, it all becomes one entangled piece working together to provide earth with its natural seasons. Thank you for the great blog Professor.

    Sincerely,

    Richard Burson

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ashley Castellanos ASTR 152February 4, 2016 at 8:07 PM

    Ashley Castellanos
    ASTR 152

    This article was very exciting to read! I never knew about folk tales regarding the sun and the moon. I enjoyed hearing your childhood stories with your granny. I was in shock when I read that the size of the sun and the moon are the same. I have never seen a total solar eclipse, but I look forward to seeing on August 21, 2017! Since its a once in a lifetime event!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Arjun Mudhar
    ASTR 152

    Hello,
    If I didn't know what a solar eclipse was, let alone why they happen, I would surely be dumbfounded as well as frightened. Even now that I am familiar with solar eclipses, the fact that they rarely happen is extremely fascinating. I have never seen one in my life, but I will observe and take in the upcoming solar eclipse in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yeseul Kim
    Astr152 online

    Thank you for sharing your article and I enjoy reading your blog every time. I also loved reading about the total solar eclipse and I just realized that moon and sun appear same size in earth's sky.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Jessica Ovsepian
    ASTR 152

    This article was very interesting because I have always been fascinated with eclipses and it helped me learn how they happen. I also enjoyed reading about the different legends related to the subject. Unfortunately, I have never actually seen an eclipse but am excited about the upcoming one that will take place in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  44. The Sun is definitely the most important part of our solar system. I can see why early people were so scared when the eclipse happens. I found it very interesting that this event happens so rarely! Just a slight change in degree makes a big difference. It is fascinating that the sun and moon have a large distance and size difference, yet when they hit the right angular distance the moon can completely cover the sun forming the diamond ring. I cant wait to see the next eclipse! I love the stories from the Egyptians, Greeks and Indians!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Yajaira Tiscareno
    ASTR 152

    In the beginning of the blog I liked how you started off by comparing the different stories about the sun or the moon getting eaten by animals. Which then transitions to your personal story told by your grandmother. Growing up I never really knew the exact reasons why solar eclipses happened. After reading this blog I will be able to share this information with my younger siblings. I never paid attention which days solar eclipses happened for example on full moon days or new moon. Now I know that solar eclipses happen on full moon days and lunar eclipses happen on new moon days. Overall this blog was very informational, can’t wait to read next week’s blog.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Allan Chan
    ASTR 152
    It is always enjoyable to read the rhetoric before the lecture. By reading the lecture stories that are provided, I feel like i get a better in depth understanding about the origin of the eclipse. On the other hand, I was also extremely informed about the actual process of an eclipse as well as the different eclipses that exist. My elementary understanding of eclipses only extended towards the moon covering the sun and producing a shadow; however, I never really comprehended the different types of eclipses that occur. Also, I always assumed that each night I look outside my window I would be looking at a different part of the moon, but now I understand I was looking at the same one the entire time. It is interesting to see our assumptions change from speculation to factual knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Caitlen Diab ASTR 152

    I found the different stories about eclipses very interesting. I thought it was so cool that different cultures have different interpretations and stories about why solar eclipses happen. Even though we know they aren't true, they are very fun to listen to and think about.
    Your granny offers some very fascinating stories & I always look forward to reading them in every different blog post.
    I am more of a visual learner, so I take information in and process it better when I see a diagram or video to go along with a lecture or reading. While reading this post, I also pulled up a diagram of how the different eclipses happen, & I learned so much even though I had some previous knowledge of why these phenomenons occur.
    I am very eager to continue with this lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Mayra Torres (ASTR 152)
    In the beginning of the blog, I found the stories to be very interesting to understand that there are different cultures who have there own stories and views about the sun. I also enjoy reading and learning about how the different eclipse happen and why they happen every so often.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi Professor. First of all i'd like to mention that this week's blog and course material has been very enjoyable. I like how you always tell us stories that your granny told you as a child about myths and gods. I remember the first time I saw a solar eclipse. My dad took me outside and put a pair of sunglasses on me. He told me to look up above and see the sun. At first I got so scared, thinking that it was the end of the world. I thought the sun was burning!, and that we were all going to burn as well. But then my dad explained to me what an eclipse was and that it was a event that had to happen. This was an unforgettable moment. Now I can't wait to watch the solar eclipse coming up on August!
    Katherine Garay
    AST 152 online

    ReplyDelete
  50. As your previous articles this one also amazed me that how my thought are wrong about solar eclipse. I had the chance to experience partial solar eclipse back home. It was an amazing experience. I didn’t understand why exactly solar eclipse happened, by reading this article I definitely comprehend the cause of it. Solar Eclipse happen when the moon comes between the sun and the earth. Unfortunately, several important events happened around us, and we don’t even have a small clue about them. I can never imagine that the angular size of the sun and moon are the same. Your articles always help me to gain some important knowledge that I would use them during my life.
    Thank you
    Sarine M.
    AST 152 online

    ReplyDelete
  51. Every articles I have came across so far from this class is just fascinating. I really like how your granny passes on all these stories and you would pass it on to us. I actually witnessed my first eclipse just past this October up in Irvine. It was something that I have never seen and the moon was totally something different. I would love to see another eclipse soon this coming year! Thank you for this wonderful article once again.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Another interesting blog that makes me wonder how citizens will react to the sun being “eaten away”. How long will everyone be able to function without the use of the sun? Who will hold the correct answers to the numerous questions that are bound to come up? Moreover, I found it very interesting reading about how different races, ethnicities and cultures and how they view this topic in different ways. I thought every response was interesting and I was very fascinated about the different logics that you provided. I enjoy reading your blogs because it is cool how you tie most of your blogs from your background history and personal experiences. When I read your blogs I am able to relate to most of your stories in a way and that is very exciting. Also, when you tell your stories its better this way than just providing information about the topics. On the other hand, I have never experienced watching an eclipse so I’m very interested in that day approaching so that I’m able to catch the experience for myself. I believe that most people would enjoy watching the solar eclipse due to how rare they appear. Your stories are very relatable and intriguing and I appreciate your willingness in expressing them through your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I am reading all the comments. These days, I do not have much time to reply individually. I am glad you are liking these blogs that replaces the lectures I would have delivered in a regular class.

    ReplyDelete
  54. This blog was thoroughly fascinating. As someone who never grew up hearing folklore from my family, it was very interesting to hear the different stories that explained the eclipses. One thing I noticed from these blogs is that different groups of people around the world have different explanations for different events occurring in the sky. However engaging the stories were, I always find comfort in knowing that there is a scientific reason behind these phenomenons. I personally have never witnessed an eclipse but after reading this article, I hope to see one in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Aram Teroganesyan

    This was another interesting article that I enjoyed very much. I like the stories your grandma tells you. I have never seen a solar eclipse, I somehow always miss them. Its very interesting how they happen on full moons. Overall I learned a lot of new information that I did not know before by reading this article.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Quite interesting learning about all the different folklore. I feel as if I have grasped a better understanding of lunar eclipses and solar eclipses after reading your article. After learning about the sun-earth-moon geometry, I feel as if I can create an image in my head which allows me to remember the information much better. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  57. This blog has introduced new folklores that i never heard about. It is interesting to know that since a long time ago there was at least a basic understanding about the moon and the sun although it is portrayed through stories which are better to explain to a child. The most interesting part is that all the stories eventually helped to scientifically explain some aspects of Astronomy. I really enjoyed this post because it gives a better understanding of what happens during eclipses and how it is possible. It is interesting to see that your personal experiences have helped you have a much better understanding of Astronomy, and it is nice that you share that with us.

    Yanin Peaches Ortega ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  58. ASTR 152 OL
    This article really helped me understand the eclipse much better than the chapter. Thank you for sharing with us your stories, I enjoy learning Hinduism!

    ReplyDelete
  59. I love the different stories and how you bring them up to show us what people thought throughout time. I also never truly understood the idea of an eclipse until I read this. I never realized that the path was not circular. I'm glad that I have a more clear understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  60. It was interesting, as always, to hear the many stories and myths about what exactly happens when there is a lunar/solar eclipse. I was shocked to find out that we only view one side of the moon because the spinning period of the moon and the period for going around the earth are almost same!
    Diana Perez
    ASTR 152
    16223

    ReplyDelete
  61. I really enjoyed learning about the different folklore stories about solar and lunar eclipses. To be honest, I really didn't know the whole reasoning behind a solar and lunar eclipses. I remember seeing a lunar eclipse a couple years ago so it was interesting to learn about them and know why it happens. I also enjoyed learning about the blood moon and why we see the color red down from Earth.
    Briana Geffre
    Ast152
    Online course CSUN

    ReplyDelete
  62. I always love learning about different cultures. It is interesting to read about all the different views on eclipses. I enjoy reading your blogs because it keeps me engaged in learning the information.

    Raymond Banting
    ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  63. Love reading these articles. I still find eclipses scary. I would often think they were related to aliens and the paranormal. I enjoy reading people's comments. It's a great way to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I love how informative and intriguing the blog posts are. It emphasizes in greater depth on what we learn each week which I find extremely helpful when reviewing my notes. The emphasis of cultural differences gave a bit of perspective in how other cultures view the sun or moon vanishing. I personally never witnessed a solar eclipse, yet I am excited to observe the one in 2017. It will definitely be marked on my calendar.


    Nancy Moreno Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  65. I found this article very enjoyable. There are many new pieces of information I learned that are very interesting. For example, the sun, moon and earth move simultaneously together. Also how the sun and moon have the same angular size,can astronomical measurement.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Hello Professor,

    I enjoy reading the small stories your grandma has told you through out your child hood. However, what interested me the most was how the lunar eclipses occur for a longer period time than the solar eclipses which only happen for a couple of minutes. What makes the lunar eclipses seem even more interesting is that it can cover the whole body of the earth. Hopefully one day I can be able to experience either eclipse and be able to know the difference between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  67. I had no idea different cultures had such elaborate stories about why eclipses occur. I don't believe I've witnessed any type of eclipse at least that I can remember. I look forward to viewing the one in 2017. It will give me an excuse to take a trip.

    -Erick Fernandez

    ReplyDelete
  68. I loved this article, after read it i cannot wait to witness the next one in 2017. In this blog, there were many new facts and definitions that were new to me. This information is very interesting and most time i want to know more. Also, there are many Knowledges help me easy to understand the Astronomy.

    Heng Shen Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  69. Hi Professor,

    I really enjoyed the background information on primitive culture's explanations of a solar eclipse. I found it interesting that the Chinese believed that a dragon was eating the sun and their solution was to scare it away. I'm excited to know that there will be a solar eclipse happening next year that I get to witness. I'm curious however on why lunar eclipses occur longer than solar eclipses.

    Louis Pimentel Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  70. Hello Professor,
    This is a very interesting blog. I loved the fact that ever culture has different stories and rituals about the moon. Also, I find it fascinating that in the Chinese culture, the dragon is trying to eat the moon. I can't wait to see the next solar eclipse soon.
    - Melissa Ramirez Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  71. I really enjoyed listening to the childhood and personal stories about solar and lunar eclipses. Also the history and theories of eclipses that I have never heard of before like the Chinese believing that a dragon ate the sun.My favorite one had to be the one about the demons Rahu and Ketu because it seemed to be the most reasonable one. It is amazing to see how far we have come with finding the truth about the moon and the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  72. I had no idea there was more than one kind of eclipse. It's also nice to finally have an explanation as to why the moon sometimes looked red. I finally also have an understanding as to why the moon changes shapes- it all has to do with shadows! Learning about how cultures interpreted the moon and what was going on with is was also a nice side note! I'm looking forward to the next eclipse!
    ASTR 152
    Maria Camacho

    ReplyDelete
  73. In this blog I found it very interesting that different cultures have different stories about the moon and eclipses. I also didn't know that there were different kinds of eclipses. I've never seen a lunar eclipse in person so I'm excited to see the next one.

    -Justin Toerner astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  74. Very interesting blog! It made me think of all the myths my mother would tell me about when I was pregnant with my children. Some myths so crazy, but yet you fear not believing in them. My mother and grandmother would always say, you have to wear read during a full moon or eclipse to avoid any harm to your unborn child during your pregnancy. Or don' t go outdoors during this time etc. I have never actually witnessed an eclipse, but can't wait to witness one.

    -Cindy A
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  75. Hello Professor,
    We now know how powerful the sun is and why it goes away at night, but it’s interesting that before we knew this people would create stories or believe these stories to help them understand why the sun left. I understand why the Greeks worshipped the sun at one point because it was a mystery and every day the light would shine from it they would feel a sense of ease. I think the sun gives the idea of safety because you can see your surroundings. When I was younger, I thought the eclipses looked like a moon that had been bitten because the moon was cheese. I did however not know why eclipses only happen sometimes, but it is clear now that it doesn’t happen because most of the time the shadows are missed by each other. With this new information I now know, I will pay more attention to when the next eclipse occurs.
    -Yadira Morales-Chinchilla (ASTR 152)

    ReplyDelete
  76. Hello, Professor my name is Maria Figueroa and I found this blog very interesting because it provides information about the sun and eclipses. It also explains how powerful the sun is and the fact that your presented storied from your granny and stories that other people from other culture believed in reminded me of the different stories that people from ,y culture created, For example, I remember that they used to say that at night when the sun was gone the sun was asleep and woke up every morning. In addition, I didn't know that there were different eclipses, since I was little I only heard the word eclipse, but I didn't know that they had different names. I also learned that the size of the moon and the sun are exactly the same, half a degree. Overall, this blog was very interesting and I am very excited to keep learning about this class and things related to the Universe.

    Maria Figueroa. ( Astro 152)

    ReplyDelete
  77. Ryan Maraun (ASTR 152)

    I did not know that a solar eclipse was supposed to happen next year! After reading this article I put a reminder in my phone because I really don't want to miss that. I love hearing about ancient civilizations and their stories of why things are the way that they are. I find their legends to be very creative and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  78. It was very interesting hearing stories from your family as well as the stories of ancient civilization and the the myths told regarding astronomy. I found this article to be a very helpful learning tool but also very interesting to learn. I'm also very eager to witness the solar eclipse next year! Thank you for providing that information.

    Kerrie Almore ASTR152

    ReplyDelete
  79. I just love how there is so much complexity in this earth- half of a degree separates angular duplication. Everything is so intertwined- the moon being needed for stabilization and if the earth wasn't spinning, what would our need for gravity be? If the earth was at a standstill and had no movement would we feel a difference in our movement? Although I think the folktales are in fact obscure I do appreciate the attempt to make sense of it all.
    -Kelly McGiffney
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  80. Although I have never experienced a solar eclipse before, this blog post was so interesting to me because it is crazy to think that solar eclipses are so rare that they happen only twice a year. It was also so interesting to learn about how in some cultures, eclipses were seen as a force of evil. Overall, this helped to illustrate the reading for this week and I am looking forward to August 21, 2017!!

    -Luciana Moreno
    AST 152

    ReplyDelete
  81. Kaylee Fagan
    AST 152-

    I cannot imagine the fear people in other societies felt when an eclipse overcame their homes. I wonder why so many people saw the event as a type of bad omen instead of an amazing spectacle like many people do now. Also, I was confused on a part in paragraph six, "As a result, we see only one side of the moon all the time. Depending on the orientation of the sun, which illuminates moon and earth.." Is this saying that if of example you live in Los Angeles your whole life you always see the same part of the moon every night? Just a very interesting fact to know. Hope to hear an answer!

    ReplyDelete
  82. Emile Ohanyan AST 152February 14, 2016 at 9:20 PM

    It is fascinating how different cultures interpreted what happens with the sun and the moon. It is also cool how the solar eclipses happen and it will a great experience being able to see a total eclipse next year.

    ReplyDelete
  83. It is interesting yet absurd to hear about all these stories about the sun and the moon. How can something be so powerful to "eat" the sun? If there was such thing as something that can "eat" the moon I would feel as if there would never be sunlight once again. How do these cultures come up with all these myths or on the other hand what made them think such things? One will never know, but I enjoyed reading the stories about the moon and the sun I may keep a look out for the solar eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  84. After reading your blog post it is amazing to me that we all seen to have had stories told to us about the night sky and strange explanations of an eclipse. So what our ancestors and elders didn’t understand themselves they gave meaning to with some far fetched explanations. Now that we know how the orbits of the moon around earth and the orbit of the earth around they sun work we can understand the phases of the moon as well as how a solar and lunar eclipse happens. It was interesting to learn from your post about the distances of the earth and the moon and the earth and they sun make it possible to have the seasons, the eclipses and the moon phases. If it wasn’t this way our earth would probably not be as inhabitable as it is for mankind. We take the way it is for granted. So in learning about how vast the universe is ...I alway wonder if there is another place out there like ours in another galaxy ...wondering about ours.
    Alexander Weiss
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  85. Adrian Ruvalcaba
    Astr 152
    This style was interesting to read about all the different cultures and there representation of the sun being diminished. The cultures each had there own way in trying to keep the sun which was facisnating to read. It was also interesting to read on how the moon shows us one side of it face depending on the evolving of the sun

    ReplyDelete
  86. I want to thank you for always sharing your stories with us because it makes the material relate-able and it serves as a base of how far along we have come in terms of understanding astronomy. The part I found interesting was the reasoning behind why sometimes there is a red hue and sometimes there is a yellow hue due to the elements. Another thing I found interesting was the 4 degree angle difference in the plan of the sun, moon, and earth. I really enjoyed this segment of astronomy because I have always felt very fond of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  87. ASTR 152
    I have yet to see a lunar or solar eclipse. I work at Griffith Park by the observatory, so the day of the lunar eclipse I was there and was unable to see it due to all the trees in my way, but I did notice that many people find it intriguing to see it. That day the observatory got overcrowded with all the people who hoped to get a good view of the eclipse. I hope to maybe see the solar eclipse in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Eman Zokaeim - ASTR 152May 3, 2016 at 8:06 PM

    The way that eclipses occur always was amazing to me. As a child I vividly remember experiencing my first eclipse and it was a very abnormal experience. Nice to know how it finally occurs.

    ReplyDelete
  89. It is understandable why ancient cultures would be extremely fearful during eclipses, because although they might not understand the actual physical make-up of the sun, they knew that it was the sun that was a primary factor in growing crops. And because the sun has such a regular pattern, for this to be disrupted, would be totally unsettling.

    Ashley Stepteau 2016 ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  90. Of course uneducated cultures are going to make-up a story to account for the presence of the sun, that is to be expected. Humans are good at filling in the gaps of their understanding with stories of gods and dragons. What I am curious about is your mention of the discovery of helium in 1868. How was it actually discovered? How did they know it was helium? Why is it so scarce on the earth and so abundant on the sun (I get fusion and how it produces helium from combining hydrogen atoms, just why isn't their more of it here on Earth.)

    Kierra Stepteau 2016 ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  91. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  92. I really enjoyed the stories and folklore that you introduced in the beginning of the lecture. The lecture was very easy to understand with the way that you have explained it. I liked that you focused the lecture on the sun-earth-moon topic and that you clearly explained how an eclipse happens.

    ReplyDelete
  93. Some people follow things that they really don't understand. Greeks and Egyptians thought that the sun was a god, but in reality it is just the rotations of the planets moving. I understand why they would believe that but in today's society we now know the truth and why there is a moon and sun. I want to be able to see a solar eclipse this year or the next. Hopefully 2017 will bring in a lunar eclipse as well.
    Fall 2016 ASTR 152
    Edward Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete
  94. Brian Paknoosh astr152September 13, 2016 at 2:44 PM

    Learning about eclipses and how they happen is really interesting, especially how ancient cultures viewed them.

    ReplyDelete
  95. It's interesting how people attempt to fit stories into the unknown, in order to have a sense of reason and security. Obviously, those stories now seem ridiculous to those who apply, logic, reason, and science. However, to people back then, that was all of the knowledge that they had. I will credit those people with a vivid imagination. I learned a lot of interesting facts about lunar and solar eclipses. I enjoy reading about your ties between astronomy and fantasy, which you had learned about when you were young.

    ReplyDelete
  96. Max Rotter (ASTR 152 Fall 2016)September 13, 2016 at 9:19 PM

    I really enjoyed this article. It was interesting learning about the different cultures and their beliefs and meanings for eclipses and their stories about the sun and the moon. I found it particularly interesting that the sun and moon and have the exact angular size. I didn't know that if they were slightly different sizes that an eclipse would not be able to occur.

    ReplyDelete
  97. This was a very interesting article. I enjoyed reading about all the different folklores. I also found it very fascinating that we can predict the next total solar eclipse. I am looking forward to August 21, 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  98. I truly interesting this article, it was so enlightening in the matter of how the sun, moon, and earth move at the same time and the consequences of their arrangements. It was likewise cool to discover that the sun and moon incidentally have the same precise size.

    ReplyDelete
  99. Reading the beginning of this post where it explains how there are many myths of how animals eat the sun was very entertaining. They make very good stories to tell children because it reflects different cultures. The fact that you had the chance to go and see an eclipse with your family is amazing because I too want to do that. I remember growing up my cousin told me that if you were to stare into an eclipse that you would go blind, but never knew if that was actually true. My mom also once told me that when she was 15 years old she saw an eclipse and the way she described made it sound so really like if I were there. It's amazing to learn about these different myths about not knowing when eclipses would happen to being able to determine where and when the next one would be. With all the advancements humans have made through technology the things that are out there are only waiting to be discovered. The moon plays a vital role for our earth especially because it is the only moon that we have and it's amazing to learn of the different things that happen to our moon.

    ReplyDelete
  100. after reading this i found it amazing that different cultures have different stories to tell about what happened to the sun. as i was reading through them i found it amusing because some of the stores i haven't heard of before. the stories made me remember when i was younger and i had myths of what happened to the sun. When i got older i found all about how the sun rotates and moves around earth gives each side of the earth sunlight.
    -Dajeion Myers astro 152

    ReplyDelete
  101. I really enjoy reading these articles. The article explain the myth of animals eat the sun. It also talk about the eclipses which really caught my attention. It is explain the beliefs of eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  102. The stories of the stars from your Granny continually bring a child-like wonder to this class. I find it interesting how the moon and sun are the same size to our eyes on earth. Something as powerful as the sun can be blocked out by something as small as the moon. Astronomy continually reminds me that space, size, and the power of a planet are all relative.

    ReplyDelete
  103. Since i was younger my father loved looking at the sky with me and my older brother. He is from a small town in Mexico where it is much easier to see the stars than here in the san fernando valley. WE would put blankets and pillows in the back of our pick up truck and go to our ranch. I remember one time he was very exited to see a lunar eclipse when i was younger. To me this class is very exiting so i know how to explain all these occurrences to my father. I could show him why they happen and how. To me the way the sun and the moon line up perfectly with the right sizes and the right distances to appear to be the same size and allow the solar eclipse to work. It is also interesting to see this from the view of the Indian perspective, how god and animals eat the sun.
    -Raymundo Ruvalcaba
    Astro 152

    ReplyDelete
  104. This post was very engaging and provided me with more knowledge about the eclipses. I learned about them throughout my time in school and have even experienced an eclipse in my lifetime. It is one of the most beautiful things, I have ever seen. It did freak me out a bit due to being so young. After reading this, I know I have a higher understanding of the two different types of eclipse. I hope to see another eclipse next year and use the knowledge I have learned through this post to understand what I am witnessing.

    Your stories about the sun were interesting and I have heard a few of them. I know that different cultures have stories that relate to the sun and even why it goes away at night. The most interesting one to me that you pointed out is the Greek sun god, Helios, who was worshiped by the people. At night, his sister, Selene, is the moon goddess. I really enjoy Greek mythology because of all the gods and there powers. The story is that each one drives a chariot across the sky that illuminates the world beneath them.

    Reginald Hawkins ASTR 152 Online Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  105. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  106. I found this blog to be very interesting. I have never really been able to grasp the concept of a solar or lunar eclipse, let along the ancient stories that came with them. It is definitely an indescribable site to see, but with the knowledge that I have now, I will be able to actually truly know the base behind the eclipse. I was never able to pinpoint exactly which eclipse is which but I have a much better understanding of it now.

    I have always been fascinated by Greek mythology and the stories that go along with them. It seems as if every aspect of life has a mythological story tied into it. I had never heard these stories before about the eclipse, and I believe that they add more of a twist and intriguing reasoning behind it with a believable story.

    -Riley Conlan
    ASTR152 (Fall 2016)

    ReplyDelete
  107. This blog post was very interesting. Ever since I was a little girl, I've wondered if we are moving or the moon was moving every time I would look up at the night sky. To finally achieve that answer is fascinating. I would've never thought that the earth goes around the sun and the moon around the earth. I remember my mom would tell me a story how we had 10 suns before and a brave Chinese warrior, who was also a god, shot them all down but one because it was too hot. Since it killed many people and crops. In addition, I have always wanted to witness an eclipse before my eyes but getting knowledge about it made me imagine how it would've went in my head. Thanks for sharing another great post!

    Christina Tran
    AST 152 (Online) Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  108. To this day, i never understood the relationship between the sun, moon, and earth. in all honestly i was oblivious but you're lecture explained it clearly and with your inclusion of myths from different cultures, i was able to enjoy it. My grandmother used to all us that eclipses were bad for us and advised us to stay indoors if there ever was one, so this lecture was very relatable as well as informing.

    Austin Moreno
    ASTR 152 (Online) fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  109. Your use of personal narrative really helps to inform the reader on the subject at hand. I had no idea that the eclipses played such a large and spiritual role in many civilizations. This lecture clearly outlines the sun-moon-earth relationship and helped me to understand how the three entities support each other. I never took note of the eclipses growing up and never understood how they worked or their relevance. But now I do. Excited for next year.

    Ashley Jackson
    ASTR 152 ONLINE

    ReplyDelete
  110. Thank you first of all for letting us know when the next solar eclipse will occur. The more I study about our universe, the more I become interested to see an eclipse or visit the Griffith Park Observatory. I enjoyed reading the different mythological stories from different cultures. I would like to share a Mexican ritual that is done during a solar eclipse especially when a women is pregnant. My grandmother told my mom that whenever a solar eclipse occur, a pregnant woman must wear something red around their belly. In other words they either would have to wear red underwear, tie a red ribbon around their belly or safety pin a red ribbon on their underwear next to their belly. My mother asked my mother why pregnant woman had to do that and my mother says that the Mexican people for many years have believed that a solar eclipse can cause a birth defect if a woman does not protect herself. I was about 12 years old when I heard that story and thought how scary it would be to be pregnant during a solar eclipse. Although I am an adult now and know that this is a myth, if I would happened to be pregnant during a solar eclipse, I would follow this tradition. I am the type of person that does not like to go against traditions that have negative outcomes if you do not do them. I rather be safe than sorry. I just realize that this tradition came from the Aztecs which were my name originates from. I am pretty sure I will tell my children this mythological story one day even though I know it is not true. I would also like to mention that I just realize and learned that we only see one side of the moon. I always knew that the moon rotated around the earth but I never knew we only saw one side of our moon. That is something I will be able to share with my students if I decide to become a elementary teacher one day.

    Ixtla Montanez
    ASTR 152 online (Fall 2016)

    ReplyDelete
  111. Brenton Filipi
    Astr 152

    Definitely interesting how man has developed. I thank you for all of the context, made all of your points extremely clear. Human beings have learned about the universe with experience. These stories are how most of us learn.

    - Brenton

    ReplyDelete
  112. I found the part about the Native Americans especially fascinating because I took a class on Native American Culture and we learned about this, so it was interesting to hear the same story from an astronomical perspective rather than a cultural one. Once again, this was a very helpful blog post. Thank you, professor.

    Christa Griffiths ASTR 152 ONLINE (Fall 2016)

    ReplyDelete
  113. Katie Rosa
    Astronomy 152 (online)

    I would have to agree seeing an eclipse is completely amazing, beautiful, and so spectacular but it also can seem pretty frightening. It is so fascinating how all these different types of cultures comedically had the same conclusion. That the sun and moon were either being chased or eaten it is a piece of knowledge I was unaware of and would not have known if it wasn't for this blog. I really appreciate how you share your grandmothers stories it helps think more imaginative and in a different perspective rather then constantly educational. Thank you so much for the informative blog.

    ReplyDelete
  114. I found the stories of how other cultures viewed eclipses very interesting. I myself have never seen one in person and I think it would be such a neat event to observe.

    ReplyDelete
  115. It's crazy to know how the moon is able to cross in front of the sun during a solar eclipse and and have daytime appear darker! I would love to experience such an event and see how I would react.

    ReplyDelete
  116. What a fascinating blog. It is very interesting to learn how people in history gave reasons for the things that occurred in our universe. Throughout he history of humans people always tried to find explanations for the things that happened. It is amazing how the ancient greeks and Egyptians were able to document and write about these things. It is very helpful in understanding how people’s vision of the universe was in that time. What I find very interesting in this blog is how our moon and sun’s movement is related to earths. I never knew that the sun-earth-moon geometry is the reason we see the solar eclipses on new moon days and lunar eclipse on full moon days. Another thing that fascinates me is how everything could be different if the moon was a little farther away from earth.

    ReplyDelete
  117. It's interesting to see how different cultures have different stories about the sun. Growing up, I was never told these folklores or never even been questioned about what I think about the moon or sun. It's fascinating to see how imaginative people are to have come up with such elaborate stories. I remember seeing an eclipse for the very first time. My family didn't even know there was an eclipse until my sister told us to go outside. The eclipse cast a pattern on our house. It looked like a bunch of crescent shaped moons all over our house. It was honestly really cool to have witnessed that.

    ReplyDelete
  118. Very interesting and informative lecture professor. I absolutely love the stories of the different ancient cultures and their thoughts on these things. It's a great lead in to the lecture.
    Growing up, my father would always make us go outside for any event that was taking place in the night sky. For example, we watched the sky for an hour wait to see the international space station fly by. I am really great for him doing so, and I will do the same for my children.

    Elias Orona
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  119. Reading your blog, I can’t wait for the total solar eclipse in 2017. I enjoy how you can relate your childhood stories and experiences through the readings to help us get more of an understanding for the topics. I never really understand what a solar or lunar eclipse was or why they happened. When I was younger, I never knew the difference and now I’m happy to be able to understand both of them.

    Jessica Whittaker
    ASTR152

    ReplyDelete
  120. This lecture was so interesting to read. It's funny how before technology, people would assume what happened to the sun and moon during the eclipse. It's crazy how far we have come. From making up stories about the sun to finding the actual truth. As the comment above me, this blog post makes me very excited for the next solar eclipse.

    Tien Ho
    Astr152

    ReplyDelete
  121. The story of the moon can be go on and on if my interest is actually in it.
    I was very happy to see full moon last 2 days ago. And I was very excited to see this weeks chapter is about the moon!
    Back in the younger days, when I saw the moon, I didn't really thought of anything besides the moon shines at nights, which brightens our night as a light.
    But these day when I see the moon, I get to see the shapes, color, and all those curiosity pops up in my mind. However, I am very excited to see the total solar eclipse that will happen in 2017 and I will be plan to travel somewhere else to see the bright beautiful night sky.

    Best,
    Sungjoo Jeon
    ASTR152 Fall2016

    ReplyDelete
  122. Ancient stories and background stories about astronomy really intrigue me because I used to hear about them all the time and i love hearing about new ones. When i was younger, i went to science camp in Malibu and learned many stories about the sky while we observed the stars. I am looking forward to seeing the eclipses happening in the future.

    ASTR 152
    Maggie Chong

    ReplyDelete
  123. Hello,
    I really enjoyed reading the folklore stories and I was intrigued by the fact that each culture had a different set of beliefs about how the sun sometimes vanishes during broad daylight. This lecture was very informational and allowed me to better understand solar eclipses, orbital paths, and much more. I was also very excited to read that the next eclipse is only a year away!

    Crystal Lozano
    ASTRO 152 (online fall 2016)

    ReplyDelete
  124. I really enjoy these folk stories and how they relate to astronomy i found it really interesting on how the Egyptians thought the sun was being attacked by bad spirits when a total lunar eclipse would happen. Also another interesting thing i learned is how they would look at the sun as a god.

    Arno Avasapian
    Astr152 Fall 2016

    ReplyDelete
  125. I really enjoyed this blog post. It was interesting to find out that the ancient egyptians and other cultures thought that the sun was being eaten during an eclipse. I imagine that the sight of an eclipse must have been terrifying for them not knowing what an eclipse actually is. I never knew that the sun and the moon are the same size. Another thing that i learned is that there were cultures that viewed the sun as a god. I remember seeing only one eclipse and it was an amazing sight.

    ReplyDelete
  126. Yekaterina Melnik, Astronomy 152 Online, Spring Semester 2017

    I find it fascinating how the ancient people explained different phenomenon in the world in such vivid and intricate ways such as a creature eating the sun. It is an imaginative way of explaining a mysterious occurrence, despite how invalid the explanation is, it shows us just how fascinated humanity has always been with the world we inhabit. Humanity in this era understands the scientific logic behind the moon and why we have the solar and lunar eclipse, we know how it happens. Despite all of this humanity still views the world as equally fascinating, we are in a way, still seeing the world through the ancient eyes. What this tells us is that we are not that different from people hundreds of years ago. We are fascinated by the world we inhabit and even though our knowledge of the world has evolved drastically. We still see that everything that occurs in the world is special and significant in its own way. We want to explore and discover what occurs in the world just as the ancient people had.

    ReplyDelete
  127. Today, we explain the eclipses through science and research. However, it is interesting how ancient cultures and civilizations would gain understanding through religions or beliefs. It's a lot less scary when you understand there is a scientific reason for these occurences instead of an angered God. I also had no idea that there were two different types of eclipses: a lunar and solar eclipse. I also feel more equipped to teach others about this subject.

    - Alexis Alvarez
    ASTR152OL Spring Semester

    ReplyDelete
  128. Hello, professor

    I do heard many folklores of why solar eclipse and lunar eclipse happens. We even represented that in some media ways such as movie. Generally, in my hometown, we think the reason why solar eclipse happens is that the god emperor is annoyed as something. In the case of lunar eclipse, we also think it was ate by a dog. On the day of these two events happened, unlike the modern people, everybody would worship and be frightened. Now we know we goes around the sun, and how moon goes around us because of the modern technology and science. So we are excited to see these two special events instead of fear.

    Yang Liu
    ASTR152OL Spring Semester

    ReplyDelete
  129. Hello Professor,
    The great thing about reading myths is that it gives us a glimpse of how people use to think before science existed. Now that we have science handing us the information, I believe that it has become easier for us to take this for granted. As you mentioned toward the end of your lecture, the sun and the moon help balance the earth's axis and without that balance, who knows what could be for seen throughout our planet. Thank you for this insight as to the moon's role and how it helps balance us everyday!

    Oyishee Siddiqui
    Astronomy 152OL

    ReplyDelete
  130. Hello Professor,
    This article is very interesting that stories in different cultures are based on natural phenomenon. I now understand that we can see the solar eclipse on the new moon days and lunar eclipse on full moon days. It is also quite interesting that it does not happen every month. Thank you for sharing your personal stories I find them really interesting.

    Talya Joffe
    CSUN ASTR 154

    ReplyDelete
  131. Hello Professor.
    I really enjoyed reading tis blog post. Especially with how you started with the different way culture view the sun and eclipses. This to me was very interesting because I didn't know that even things that have to do with the sky was different to every culture. I also found interesting when you talked about eclipses for the reason that I knew they occurred but didn't know they were bad. At last I found interesting how your parents never witnessed an eclipse until so you took them to and showed them a solar eclipse to witness one. I found that amazing! I also wouldn't want to imagine us without a sun because we get our energy and light from it.

    Megan Perez
    Astronomy 154 ( online)
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  132. This blog really brings to mind the ways in which nature, our solar system, and what is misunderstood can truly influence religion. For most of the time humanity has been present upon Earth, we have looked at things and occurrences such as lunar eclipses and thought it had to be spiritual. It wasn't until recently that we have developed the technology to look further into the situation and see what exactly is going on. Even going back 100 years proves that the technology that we had at that time is nothing compared to what we have today. It's always interesting to see the ways in which human emotion and ideology took over before thought and reason. Very interesting post.

    Kevin Whitmarsh
    ASTR 154 OL
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  133. Andrew Lovitt
    ASTR 152 Spring '17

    I have always been fascinated with understanding how our ancestors from all origins of the world interpreted the things they observed in the skies. Reading how the Greeks comprehended the sky as the God Helios & the Chinese describing a sun eating dragon illustrates how we have grown to understand better what is in our solar system. It intrigues my interest in our solar system and makes me think about how would the Earth and other planets act if objects that sustain their balance were not present. Would life cease to exist or would other species thrive over others? Your ideology is quite fascinating as well with your family experiencing that event together.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  134. Sebastian Artola
    ASTR 152 OL Spring 17

    Interesting observations Professor, on the sun. I never really give too much thought into what our ancestors perceived about these kind of things but it is fascinating to think about. As someone who appreciates and enjoys stories and story telling, I certainly enjoyed the background you gave about your Granny's stories or the first eclipse your parents saw. I am definitely marking my calendar for August 21st! However, the most astonishing thing to me was the connection to Greek Mythos! I had no idea there was a connection there. The idea behind this is great. I hope to have as great an experience with my solar eclipse as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  135. Quite remarkable! I've experienced and eclipse previously a child. I remember it being a freighting time for me. During the time of the eclipse I was in a town near Jalisco, Mexico. The only light available during those days was sun or moon light. I remember being in a dark place with no possible view of the rode aside from the lights the cars struck.
    Now I think back and regret not admiring those days because in LA you don't appreciate the wonders of the universe since there's too much light.

    -Alejandra Mora
    Astro 152 OL Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  136. Brenda Benavides ASTR 152 Online Spring 2017
    Eclipses are an incredible phenomenon. I, personally, have not witnessed one but my mother has many times told me the story of the two times she got to experience one.
    The first one she was a little girl on March 7, 1970 and she remembers all the adults telling her not to look straight at the sun no matter what. She was told to look at the shadows that some plants projected on the ground. Before the eclipse started she noticed that the light that filtered through the leaves, projected small circles of light on the ground, and as the eclipse advanced those circles of light started closing up as if they were multiple miniature suns and she could see how they became smaller and smaller until it was all dark for a few moments. She was allowed to take a few glimpses looking up at the sun through x-ray sheets that had been cut up on the darkest sidesand also using welgind glasses that her father had in his shop.
    The second total eclipse of the sun she experienced was on July 11, 1991 when she was pregnant. She remembers all the superstitions that surround total eclipses in Mexico such as children being born with different malformations such as hare lip and cleft palate . She was told not to go out, to stay home during the eclipse, to tie a red ribbon around her waist and hang from it metal things such as scissors and safety pins. As the day started getting darker, the birds started to populate the trees getting ready for the "night", when the sun was finally totally eclipsed, there was no one bird singing. The day grew silent as if it were really night time, even my mother became very sleepy as if it was time to go to bed. It was a very slow process lasting about 6 minutes at the point of maximum eclipse. There will not be a longer eclipse until June 13, 2132.

    ReplyDelete
  137. One thing I find fascinating is that even though the sun and moon are different distances (millions of mile difference) from the earth they are able to overlap one another creating solar and lunar eclipses. I have yet to witness one but appreciate the note of when the next solar eclipse will transpire in north america. Hope to see this one as its a once in a lifetime event, looking forward to it.
    ASTR 152 #16522

    ReplyDelete
  138. It's very interesting to see how other cultures view the sun's setting or eclipses. As a child I always wondered how does eclipses work and the position of our moon, but now by taking this class, its not just some story that our ancestors taught us but much more. There is nothing wrong with the stories that our ancestors told us because we should keep our heritage and where and why the stories came to be.
    Berini Nguyen OL ASTR 152 Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  139. Carlos Murillo
    ASTR 152, Spring 2017

    It is interesting to learn about how and why eclipses occur, and how humans from the past have interpreted them. I have never seen a solar eclipse myself, but considering there is one in August this year I must see it. To see a true marvel of the observable universe will be a true moment of wonder, seeing this lesson that I learned from a university course in action.

    ReplyDelete
  140. This is very interesting to me, because I did not know about all the details of an eclipse. I only knew of the basic details, that the sunlight is being blocked. I thought it was really interesting to see that the difference between the lunar and the solar eclipse along with how they are created. Before astronomy, people did not why things happen in the sky and today we are. It is very astonishing to read about what exactly takes place during an eclipse.

    Juliana DLP
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  141. Sharmaine Cardenas ASTR 152 Spring 2017March 7, 2017 at 11:38 PM

    I thought it was very interesting how you included the cultural explanations for the eclipse before validating with the scientific facts. It really helped me connect the concepts a lot better, and I think it's awesome that the next solar eclipse is coming up this year! I will definitely have to try to be in Oregon when it happens to see it for it's entirety with my own eyes, seeing as it is a once in a life time event!

    ReplyDelete
  142. Noemi Castillo MonsivaisMarch 8, 2017 at 1:25 PM

    This was very interesting to read and learn about! When I was younger I seen lunar eclipses and never thought about the function behind it. Now they are really cool to witness. It would be amazing to witness a solar eclipse especially knowing that there will be one this year! I find it interesting to know that people would go out of their way to travel to places just to see the solar eclipse and it only lasts about 7 minutes. It's something that I think it is worth during since they occur every 18 years. The Diamond Ring would be be awesome to see with my own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  143. Kiana Fines Spring 2017 Online classMarch 9, 2017 at 10:21 AM

    This was really interesting to read because now I want to see a total eclipse.Growing up I always wanted to know how the moon covers up the sun. Now i'm going to be looking for different signs from the moon and the sun. It was interesting to read all the stories different cultures think about when it comes to the moon and the sun because I have never heard to them before.

    ReplyDelete
  144. The way that everyone has a different story about the sun and the moon is interesting to me. You can get many different stories that are fascinating. Another thing that i found interesting was that the Greeks were able to pin point the exact time the next eclipse would occur. As it was mentioned here an eclipse occurs 18 years 11 and 1/3 days after that eclipse. Something that i didn't know was that this was called Saros Cycle.

    Soraya Gomez
    ASTR152

    ReplyDelete
  145. Dominic Teran
    ASTRONOMY 152 ONLINE

    It makes sense that all of these different nations would come up with such diverse and interesting ways of dealing with a solar or lunar eclipse because these phenomenons are so drastic, especially when you do not even know what is happening. These people would have to just think of ways to return the sky to normal after it has been drastically changed into something else, so it makes sense why beating a drum or praying would become a tradition because it is all they had to go off of; they would not want to see what would happen if they didn't follow these traditions so it was just safer to do them. I liked reading through the different actions different nations would take to deal with these changes.

    ReplyDelete
  146. Zoe Pitko
    ASTR152
    I remember watching an eclipse with my dad before. We made something out of a shoe box to watch it. I remember seeing a moving reflection of the sun being covered by a shadow, it was pretty cool to witness. It is amazing how so many cultures have different stories about how the sun and moon rotate, I did not realize how many there were! Also it's amazing how big our galaxy is, 80,000 light years to travel across it is insane! I look forward to the next lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  147. Hello Professor,
    I like how you relate our lecture material to stories your grandmother used to tell you. I found this article engaging to read, and I am surprised and enlightened to know the reasons for eclipses. I never gave it much thought as to why exactly they occur, or what the differences between solar and lunar eclipses were, but I'm glad to know of it now. It is interesting (and humorous) that you included some insight into how different cultures perceived eclipses, and I can imagine how alarming it was to witness a solar eclipse back in those days. I look forward to the next lecture.
    Andrea Perez
    ASTR152 Online
    SP2017

    ReplyDelete
  148. Seeing a solar eclipse for the first time is a very fascinating experience. However learning how it occurs is a bit confusing. It would definitely be better if the solar eclipse could last longer than a couple 7 mins that way more people can get a good visual of it.
    Elizabeth E,
    Astro 152
    SP 2017

    ReplyDelete
  149. Thank you professor for another very informative article. I saw a lot of interesting facts that you brought up. I didn't know that the sun-earth- moon geometry is the reason we see the solar eclipses on new moon days. I thought that was very interesting.I have never seen a solar eclipse actually and I am very excited to see the next one.

    -Levik Youssefian

    ReplyDelete
  150. Hello Class,

    When I was growing up I always wondered where the sun would go at night, and when someone told me that it was on the other side of the world I couldn't believe it. If you told me as a kid that the sun had been ate by a wolf I don't think I would have believed it. However, it is interesting to see how different cultures view events differently and have different explanations and opinions about them. It is crazy how the eclipses do not happen often, and how you really have to pay attention to when they are going to happen because you might not have another chance to view this phenomenon.

    Steven Doshna
    ASTR 152 OL
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  151. When I was a kid, I too was told many stories about the world, but was always the type to find it hard to believe. Throughout my childhood I have attended many Chinese dragon dances and always enjoyed the creativity within these traditions and stories, but from an artistic point of view. I found the truth behind an occurrence more interesting rather than a made up, colorful myth. I remember learning that due to the Earth revolving it is day time here and night somewhere else and that made sense to me. Until today I choose to be a realist, even when questioned by my younger cousins why something is what it is, I always respond with the true reasoning. On the other hand a solar eclipse it's something I've always wanted to witness and anticipate to do so one day.

    Cristina Zakaryan
    ASTR 152 OL
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  152. Yessenia Gramajo
    Astr 152/ Spring 2017

    There are so many fascinating things about the universe that are unknown but we have also gathered many answers to our questions. I have always wanted to see an eclipse but have never actually witnessed one. I just thought it was cool how the sun just disappears and would want to see how it is when such things happen, maybe one day I will be able to witness one. This blog was very insightful on my questions about lunar and solar eclipses. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  153. La Vonne Centeno ASTR152/Spring 2017

    As per usual, I love seeing the personal stories that you include in the blogs. Also, I loved learning all the mythical stories that you provided. They are all very creative and fascinating. Through this blog, I learned about the Saros Cycle, which is the 18 year and 11 1/3 days pattern of the eclipses as well as the photosphere and chromosphere. Since learning these materials, I cannot wait to encounter another eclipse and experience the beautiful view. It was also great to know how eclipses happen and how long they occur.

    ReplyDelete
  154. Patricia Olivera Astronomy 152 Spring 2017
    In this blog I learned all about the moon and how it looks different depending where you are standing. I learned about the full moon and how the sun is bigger than the moon. I really enjoyed the experience you had with your parents about the eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  155. I can totally understand why people would make up this stories about the the things that have no explanations to them. Imagine seeing an eclipse for the first time with no idea of what it is or why it happens? I would imagine someone ate the sun too!

    ReplyDelete
  156. It’s interesting to learn about almost across every culture there’s a some sort of mythology around the idea of the sun disappearing in the daytime. It’s interesting how a lot of these cultures are centered around the idea that a foreign non-human being was said to “eat” the sun. But in reality, these myths can always be debunked because no matter what, the sun will disappear from the sky in the daytime because eclipses are constant and you can’t stop them. Every time I’m reminded of an eclipse happening I totally believed that it would last longer than two minutes. I also thank the internet for attempting to tell me when the next eclipse should be. It suddenly feels like any time there’s an eclipse in Los Angeles there’s an immense amount of clouds those nights. I’ve always wondered if those things were linked?

    Abigail Garcia
    Astr152 Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  157. I enjoyed reading your story about the way the Native Americans, Greeks, etc viewed the Sun leaving. I have never heard those stories before. I am excited to hear that there will be a total solar eclipse coming up in August, I have set the date with an alarm on my google calendar. I hope I get to go somewhere and experience seeing one for the first time. I hope I can share it with my younger sisters and maybe teach them a few things from what I learned in this class.

    Katelynn Holt
    Astr 152 Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  158. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  159. Hello Professor, I found it really enjoyable to read about the different rituals and beliefs people all around the world share concerning the sun and moon. With the advent of technology, of course it is now easy to discover why the sun and moon behave the way they do. However, those beliefs that people had in ancient times still carry on even today, and I find that very interesting! I'll make sure to mark my calendar for the total solar eclipse that's supposed to happen in August.
    Jessica Levin Samarscova
    ASTR 152 online

    ReplyDelete
  160. Cristian Gil 152 Spring 2017

    I find it fascinating how humans struggle to explain things before science. Often times they just things up or used religion to explain these things. Also how amazing is it that the sun and the moon just so happen to have the same angular size? It is amazing to me, as is the entire universe. I'm not religious but existence alone makes me wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  161. This blog was quite interesting and can relate to those beliefs with the sun and moon. It's also quite fascinating how the sun and moon share the same angular size. And i also look forward to the solar eclipse happening in August!

    ReplyDelete
  162. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  163. Eleonor Navarro ASTR 152-16522-Spring 2017
    Hello Professor,
    It's amazing how different cultures use the Sun and Moon to explain different phenomena. One story I know of is that the Sun and Moon were in love, but they could never be together because they only meet when the Sun is about to set and when the Moon rises for the night and vice versa. I found it interesting how the Sun and Moon are almost the same angular size when distance is accounted for. I don't think I've ever experienced a solar eclipse, but I would love to experience the one upcoming in August.

    ReplyDelete
  164. Hello Professor,

    I was excited to learn about the total solar eclipse coming up! It was interesting learning about how the Greeks, Indians and ancient Egyptians viewed the sun as a God, who was responsible for the amount of sunlight during the day and none at night. Also, learning about the sizes of the sun and the moon helps me paint a picture of the cycle that happens every day and night.

    -Ren
    Astronomy 152

    ReplyDelete
  165. Alexandra FajardoMay 7, 2017 at 11:36 AM

    Hello Professor,
    I enjoy reading and especially hearing your stories that got you interested in astronomy in the first place. It's interesting to see all the different ways people tried to interpret space before we had the proper tools and machines, mainly based on religion and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  166. Hi Professor Choudhary, I have actually never seen a solar eclipse. I would like to see one. Thank you for informing us that one is coming. It's interesting that the Egyptians think of the sun as a god. I have actually realized that when going to a Christian church every picture of Jesus has a sun in back of his head. It got me thinking if there is a God and it is the sun...
    Natalie Bedrosian
    Astr 152

    ReplyDelete
  167. This article is very interesting because it starts off with perceptions of tribes in olden times of why the sun went down at night, whether animals or demons were thought to eat it. In those times they had stories like that because they did not have the history of scientific knowledge. Times have changed a lot since then. I like how this article progresses into facts about why the sun goes down.
    Meghan Miralles ASTR 152

    ReplyDelete
  168. Michael SomarribaMay 9, 2017 at 11:51 AM

    ASTR 152 SP 17

    It's interesting to me hearing different folklore from different cultures because most of the time they share common gods, not by name but by purpose, as seen by the different creatures that would eat the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  169. I found this article to be very interesting. When I was reading this blog, I was reminded of how I learned about this in one of my Religion courses. I remember learning about how certain cultures considered the sun as a god and it can be very sacred to some cultures. It is really nice to see how I can see connections between different courses that I take. I have never desired to see a solar eclipse but after taking this course, I hope to see a solar eclipse one day in the future. Thank you for this blog post.

    Angella Dijamco
    ASTR152 ( Online )
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  170. I really enjoyed the mythology on eclipses presented at the beginning of the lecture. I remember being in school and hearing the Native American story of the wolf swallowing up the sun. It’s interesting to hear that other cultures have similar types of stories. I’m looking forward to the solar eclipse that will happen this August.


    Mahrum Arya Zahiri
    Astr152 Spring 2017
    100859250

    ReplyDelete
  171. David Gutierrez Astr152 Online Spring 2017May 11, 2017 at 5:03 PM

    The mythological creatures and folklores about the sun and stars are very interesting to me as it provides a distinct perspective of the world. Before this post, I did not understand the significance of these celestial bodies in various cultures around the world. It is fascinating how ancient civilizations developed complex mathematical systems based on the positions of the stars during the year. The celestial properties found beyond this world have an influence on living and nonliving things on Earth and these ideas are worth exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  172. Costa Bustamante Astronomy 152 Spring 2017May 11, 2017 at 5:29 PM

    When I was little I remember my mom mentioning an eclipse, but I never knew what I was actually looking at. I remember starring up at the sky and noticing the moon, but I did not know what the big deal was because I was not looking at the same thing they were. Or at least that is what I though, but as the years went by I have learned what it is and what I am looking at. This is something I look forward to and enjoy when I get the chance, and to my mom it is something magical that she believes we are privileged to observe. I am looking forward to one day witnessing a total solar eclipse and I will be sure to make the most out of the time that I observe. Another great post that was interesting to read. I enjoy the way these lectured help us get a sense of a different perspective through the different stories provided.

    ReplyDelete
  173. It amazes me how many years ago people didn't know what was occurring when a lunar or solar eclipse was going on, when now we can predict when and eclipse will happen with weeks, if not months in advance. I remember a few years ago, I too experienced my first total lunar eclipse here at CSUN. I was in math class and I remember my professor even brought these paper glasses so we could be able to see the eclipse. This is one experience I will always remember from CSUN.

    Emery Hernandez
    ASTR Online
    Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  174. People use to build crazy stories to explain physical phenomena, with no really understanding the space, their imagination with their main believes created interesting 'logical' reasons to explain the nature.

    ReplyDelete
  175. I personally have never seen or witnessed a solar eclipse in person, i am really looking forward to this upcoming one this August

    Md Alam
    Astr152
    online Spring 2017

    ReplyDelete
  176. It's very interesting to hear different cultures and there take as to the suns and moon activities. To us (in the modern day), the activities are justified by science but back then it's amazing to hear that the behavior of both the sun and the moon can be associated with the gods. That some of these events such as solar and lunar eclipses were an omen from the gods and that they would be punished. Interesting to know that if the moon were also at a greater distance we might possibly not have periodic seasons as well as unpredictable hot and cold situations which would hinder modern society.

    ReplyDelete
  177. I particularly took an interest in this blog post because it was incredibly intriguing to read about what different cultures assumed when they sun goes down during broad day light. It made sense for the Egyptians to think that the sun was God because of the ability to create lightness and darkness. I like that you continue to reference your grandmother in your blogposts. Similarly, my grandmother had told me tales about the Sun, Earth, and the universe itself. Also, my parents too never saw an eclipse or really took an interest in seeing one. I will be sure to see the eclipse this August, and encourage my parents to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  178. Elizabeth RodriguezMay 13, 2017 at 8:48 PM

    It is amusing how different cultures interpret lunar eclipses. Every culture has their own beliefs of why things happen, and how they interpret what it means in their beliefs. I find it spectacular how now with modern day technology, we are able to determine when these events will happen. I cannot wait until I get to see this Spectacular event.

    ASTR 152
    Elizabeth Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete