The star community
Debi Prasad Choudhary
Los Angeles 03/16/2013
My childhood fascination to know the stars was based on the
fact that many of them govern our lives. But than, I was also suspicious that
what the other stars are doing? How far they are? And if they are shaped like
us and hanging in the space. What do they eat? I never dared to ask these
questions to my elders and wise man, who predicted my future using the stars.
But, in my first astronomy class it became clear that these objects are truly
powerful even though they have nothing to do with my future.
Twinkling of stars of different brightness and color, mainly
blue and red, is a priceless spectacular sight at a dark location under clear
sky. Why some stars are brighter than others and what their color mean? Major
part of the last century was spent in answering these questions.
Like our sun, the stars are hot balls of hydrogen, helium
and other elements glowing at temperatures ranging from 2000 to 30,000 degree
kelvin. Kelvin is a temperature scale in which 310.9 degree kelvin is -100 degree
Fahrenheit. The red stars are cooler than the blue stars and our sun is a
yellow star with temperature of about 5800 degree K. More accurate temperature
of the star is determined by measuring the amount of light removed by some
elements such as hydrogen, Calcium or Iron in selected wavelengths.
The brightness of the stars depends on their temperature and
size. If a star is two times hotter than another star of same size, it would be
16 times brighter as predicted from the simple laws of physics. If the radius
of a star is two times larger than another star of same temperature, it would
be four times brighter because its surface area would increase by four times.
In reality the stellar brightness is a combined effect of temperature and size.
If a star of same brightness to another star were located
nearer to us, it would look brighter. A similar effect we might observe as the
brightness of the headlight of an approaching car would increase as it becomes
nearer to us. So, it is important to know the distance to the stars to
determine its real brightness. Among many methods, the distance to the nearer
stars is determined by using methods similar to stereopsis with which we gain
depth perception. Our depth perception is because of looking at the same object
by two eyes located on our face that are laterally separated by a small
distance. We can observe this effect by placing our thump in front of the
forehead by stretching the hand. When viewed by one eye while closing another
the finger would appear to be in front of different background. As our eyes are
separated by few inches, we can distinguish depth at horizontal difference of
30 seconds of arc.
Exactly same method is used to determine distances to
relatively nearby stars. Photograph of the star field in the sky are taken at
different times of the year when the earth is located on the opposite side of
the sun. Since earth is at different locations while going around the sun,
nearby stars change position with respect to far away stars similar to what we
see in case of thump experiment. Since the distance of the earth between two
positions is 2 Astronomical Unit we can determine the small angle p and
distance to the star as 1/p. Remember one astronomical unit is the distance
between sun and earth about 92 million miles We can measure distance to about
100,000 stars using this method. The distance to the stars are so large that we
need to devise another unit, which the distance at which a star makes 1 second
of arc. To travel this distance light takes about 3.26 years. As we know this
distance can also be 3.26 light years.
When we see a source of light such as a lamp or a headlight
of a car from a distance it looks dimmer than when we see this from nearby. If
the distance is twice far, the lamp appears four times as dimmer. The source
becomes dimmer as the square of the increased distance. So, by knowing the
distance to the lamp, we can find the true or absolute brightness. Similar way,
we can determine the absolute brightness in magnitude scale by knowing its
distance. In order to compare the brightness of different stars we determine
their absolute brightness at a standard distance of 32.6 light years.
There are two more properties, mass and diameter or size,
that are commonly measured by using binary stars. Binary stars circle around a
common center similar to the sun and the planets. In our galaxy about 85% of
the stars are in binary system. So, we can get the mass and radius of majority
of stars using these methods. The spectral lines from these two stars display
Doppler shifts that can be used to determine the orbital velocity. When a faint
star goes in front of a bright star the brightness of the system change
periodically. The amount of time the brightness decreases we determine the
diameter of the star using its distance from us. From the period of changes we
can determine the mass of the system by using the Kepler’s law. In practice, however, the planes of stellar
orbits around the common center are oriented randomly so determining mass and
diameter accurately is a very difficult job. There are several other methods
for these measurements that are used to determine one property independently,
which gives confidence in the results.
It is possible to study the long-term evolution of a group
of human or tree in a forest from their common properties. For example, in a
forest you can see some saplings, young, old and dying trees, which are at
different stages of their evolution. Without waiting to observe the birth,
growth and death of a single tree, properties of trees at different stage are
used to study their evolution. Similarly, after gathering the absolute
brightness and temperature of many stars, we examine their properties to
understand their life story. According to their temperature, stars are classified
into groups of O B A F G K M; O being hotter and M being cooler stars.
(Astronomers remember this sequence with the rime Oh Be A Find Girl Kiss Me.)
In circa 1910, a Danish astronomer and chemist Ejnar Hurtzsprung
and American astronomer Henry Norris Russell, found that most stars fall into a
sequence, called Main Sequence, in which cool stars are fainter and hot stars
are brighter. There are more faint, cool stars than bright hot stars, because
hot bright stars are heavier, and rapidly consume their nuclear fuel that keeps
them bright. So, hot bright stars die faster than cool faint stars. There are
some stars, which are brighter than what is expected from their temperature if
they were Main Sequence stars. These stars, known as giants and super giants,
appear brighter because of their large size. Such situation in the life of a
star happens when the nuclear fuel runs out just before their death. There also
some stars that appear fainter than what would be expected due to their temperature
if they were Main Sequence stars. These stars are known as white dwarfs, which
are high-density compact hot core of dead stars that no longer produce light.
Stars are born out of huge dust and gas clouds, and spend
most of their life producing light by converting one element to another. In the
end they die and become dust and gas. From these material new stars are born. These
stars also produce the elements in our body, so we may as well be called “star
stuff”!! This grand cosmic evolution gives us a sense of belonging to vastness
that surrounds us. It makes us generous. Today, I know that even if the stars
do not control my life or my future, I have a real intimate relationship with
these shining objects in the sky.
Anila Ismail
ReplyDeleteAst 152 OL
From your blog posts I can tell how your interest in astronomy was shaped. Again you began your post by giving a small story from your past drawing me into the topic discussed. From this post I found out that we have Red Stars and Blue Stars which vary in temperatures. I also found out the brightness of a star is determined by the temperature. I found this one part very interesting; "If a star is two times hotter than another star of same size, it would be 16 times brighter as predicted from the simple laws of physics."
I found out that stars that appear fainter than what is expected due to the temperature are called white dwarfs. I have always wondered what people meant by white dwarf stars. I wondered how the were created. This blog clarified that for me.
I never knew that stars die and become dust and gas, than new stars born form these materials! From this blog I have learned that we have two kind s of Stars red and blue. Red Stars are cooler that the blue Stars. The brightness of the star is dependent on its temperature, size and, location. Loved the Stars classification rime: Oh Be A Find Girl Kiss Me. Thanks for sharing your personal stories.
ReplyDeleteTaylor Hobson
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Reading the blog for this week I didn’t know that the brightness of a star is determined by the temperature and size. I became a little confused when you began to talk about the distance to nearer stars and stated that it was determined by using methods similar to stereopsis. I’m not entirely sure of what stereopsis means but I can guess after reading the paragraph and say it has maybe something to do with depth perception.
Stereopsis vision is looking through town eyes that gives depth perception.
DeleteGreetings Professor,
DeleteThis blog post was absolutely great. Thank you for sharing your personal stories and creating an even more interesting love for learning more about the many stars in ours galaxy. Thank you!
AnonymousOctober 17, 2016 at 5:48 PM
DeleteGreetings Professor,
This blog post was absolutely great. Thank you for sharing your personal stories and creating an even more interesting love for learning more about the many stars in ours galaxy. Thank you!
*I apologize, I didn't get my name in the previous post*
Marina Melkumyan
ASTR 152 ONLINE
FALL 2016
I enjoyed the part o f the blog were you talked about different temperatures of stars, and how the cooler stars are redder, and the hotter ones are bluer. It reminded me of a gas stove, and how the hotter fire is always.
Delete-Star Alcazar
ASTRO152 Online Fall 2016
Hello Professor Choudhary,
DeleteFrom reading this blog I found it extremely fascinating to read about the different colors and brightness of certain stars; I never really thought of stars being the colors red and blue, always in childhood books or even in the skies the stars appear to be a bright white or off yellow color but its fascinating to see how majority of the star colors and blue and red and how some brightness' of the stars depend on the temperature and size of the star as well. The method you discussed in your blog about determining the distances of the stars nearby was amazing to read and note the photograph differences in the star field that are taken from different times of the year in the sky. Another thing that was interesting when taking into account of the properties of mass and diameter of the size of a star was the commonly measured used by the binary stars.
Liliana Navarro, ASTR 152 Online, Summer 2018
Stars are such an interesting topic. The idea that stellar brightness is a combination of temperature and size was a bit fuzzy. Although, through the car’s headlights example, it is easy to understand why some stars appear brighter to us. I wasn’t aware that distance does affect a stars true brightness. We are lucky 85% of our stars are in the binary system, because we can use similar methods to determine their diameters. I was never aware of how stars came to be, I would have never expected them to be born out of dust and gas clouds! Your blogs are always so enlightening!
ReplyDeleteThe stars are brighter when their temperature is higher. Also, if a star is bigger, its surface is more so it looks brighter. Mathematically the brightness or flux F = kT^4 pi r^2. k is constant, T^4 is TxTxTxT, pi=3.141, r^2 is rxr. I try to avoid mathematics in these blogs.
DeleteI didn't know that stars die and are reborn again through gas and dust , reminds me of the circle of life. Your blogs are always a really god read, teaches me something knew every time
DeleteIt is interesting to know just how much we can learn from studying binary stars. I also did not know until reading this, that 85% of stars in our galaxy are in binary system.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this blog, I had a few questions of my own. How long can a star live for? When we look up at the night sky, we see the same stars shining bright enough for the naked eye to see. What if a star from the famous "Big Dipper" ends up dying and become gas and dust. I understand that when the star dies, a new one is born, but is it born in the same position as the one that died? And is it the same brightness as the previous one? I also wonder how hot the stars we see at night are. They must be pretty hot for people to be able to see them with the naked eye.
ReplyDeleteThese are good questions. We will discuss them in future blogs. I am glad you are asking such questions.
DeleteI have heard and seen many people in India associating "their" stars with "their" life. Your staring paragraph could relate to my previous knowledge. I have always thought the color red being very dangerous and hot, however the red stars are cooler than the blue stars. I was surprised to discover the difference in colors. A astonishing discovery about stars I made from this blog was that a star is born out of huge dust and gas clouds, and when in the end it dies, the star becomes dust and gas all over again. It is a cycle, where the same material creates more stars that is found when a star dies. The cycle is amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteI found this article very fascinating. Growing up I have always thought of stars and wonder why some of them are stronger then others. I was surprised knowing that they are like our sun. From this article I found out exactly how powerful they are. I was also surprised to know “If a star is two times hotter than another star of same size, it would be 16 times brighter as predicted from the simple laws of physics”.
ReplyDeleteChristian Estrada ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteI think stars are one of the aspects of the universe that although most people know of, don't really know much about. I know of some people that don't even know that our Sun is even considered a star. People have no idea about what different aspects that the sun can have, that can alter the way we see the stars in the sky, and I think this blog explains that perfectly. People don't know that stars, just like us, have ages and have lives, and they go through an ever changing road to their lives just like we do.
Stars as a unit of their own are so interesting! The comparison of trees in a forest really put into perspective how astronomers analyze stars in the sky. Stars to me are so mysterious since they are something you cant really go to and check out. So the inferences made by astronomers in the past and today amaze me at how far we have come as a species. I've always wondered if there are living things on such hot places. To our standards, temperatures of stars is just too much for us to handle but maybe something out there calls it home. Just like trees, we don't know for sure when the tree was planted and when it is going to die, but by seeing other trees and comparing it, we can infer at which stage it is in. This really made sense to me.
ReplyDeleteTesting...123
ReplyDeleteJocelyn Garcia Astr 152
ReplyDeleteI think it's useful to estimate temperature using the color a star gives off. I understand that studying different stars in different stages of life is smarter than trying to outlive a single star. Stars live for thousands of years so it would be impossible to attempt it. I think it's amazing that we are made of the same debris that make up stars. I think that stars do some how effect us since we are part of the same system and matter. The moon is well known for its relations with our waters which control the tides and we are made up of more than 60 percent water. I'm sure the moon is working its "magic" on us in one way or another, I wonder how the stars might effect us?
Looking in the sky at night with the naked eye, I have not seen any visible red stars; maybe I will have to go to the observatory to witness this sight. I’ve always wondered how calculations of distance and temperatures are determined, and it is fascinating to learn that these measurements are made of amount of hydrogen/calcium/iron are analyzed in wavelengths. I know that Astronomers can easily tell the history of these stars if they know their temperature and composition, such as the giants, super giants, and the white dwarfs. Are these white dwarfs visible to the naked eye? And do they change their location when they die? Or are they stationary? And does this mean that there is a possibility that this can happen to our powerful sun?
ReplyDeleteASTR152 - ONLINE CLASS
ReplyDeleteW MONROY
There are so many different types of stars in our galaxy and so much more to learn from them. I'm truly fascinated by this blog, it really opened up a curiosity to study and do more research. Amazing blog professor!! Thanks!!
I always knew I was a star! Just kidding...but this post was interesting to read and learn. I always found the nighttime sky to be beautiful and mysterious. With a black backdrop and only the stars to shine some light.Henry David Thoreau once said, "The light which puts out our eyes is darkness to us. Only that day dawns to which we are awake. There is more day to dawn. The sun is but a morning star." Considering the sky above us and all the life in it means we are truly never alone. What I enjoy most about your post is that you relate it to life. I always knew about the brightest stars being the stars that are soon to plummet only because I've heard a saying of that matter about celebrities that have gone to soon. Now understanding the astronomy behind it makes it more educationally significant. Great post.
ReplyDeleteI realized that before reading this, I did was very uninformed about the stars. I learned about a stars life, their mass and diameter, and that the brightness has to do with the temperature. I like that all these useful facts are put into memorable stories. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteElin Madadian from ASTR 152OL
ReplyDeleteWhen I was a kid, I always thought of stars as just lights in the sky and I thought they were shaped the same way that they were drawn on paper but as I got older and took astronomy classes I realized just how complex stars are. I know now that they are really hot and made of hydrogen and helium among other elements and that they glow. I also had no idea that stars were different colors. I always thought they were just yellow but now I know that there are red and blue stars as well as yellow stars.
Maria Gonzalez from ASTR 152- Online Class
ReplyDeleteI never knew stars had so much depth to them! When it comes to learning about stars, there is so much to know! You have to consider a stars size, temperature, luminosity and until now did not know that stars actually die. I think that this shows how much you were intrigued by stars and even wondered how they stayed alive, even wondering if they possibly ate but too embarrassed to ask elders. I always wondered about stars and how is it that they stay up at the sky, how new stars were born and I didn't know how they die and become dust and gas, then allowing other stars to be born out of the huge dust and gas clouds. Is there some sort of illustration of a star's dying process?
I also thought it was cute and definitely did not get that in the reading was the acronym for the stars' spectral classes of OBAFGM by remembering "Oh Be A Find Girl Kiss Me"
Maria Gonzalez
Joseph Wright ASTR 152 OL
ReplyDeleteThis blog was really cool and interesting as always. As a kid, had I had the same background of you, I also would not have wanted my elders to tell me about these stars for the same reason as you. I wouldn't want to know whether my future was bright or dark. That is the beauty of growing up. While reading your blog I tried to grasp the idea of our sun as a star and how it compares to other stars in the universe. If stars range from 2,000 to 30,000 degrees kelvin and our sun is about 5,800 degrees, that must mean that our sun isn't all that hot in comparison to the many other stars in the universe. I found this aspect of your blog to be most interesting! Great post!
Billy J. Vasquez
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
Reading through your blog, it is very clear how your passion for Astronomy came to be. I have always wondered those questions as well. For instance, how are stars made or what are they made from. Reading your blog and chapter, it helps me answer questions i never had answers to. I have learned a lotjust by reading your blogs!
This blog was very interesting. This section about all the types of stars and how they created is fascinating. I have yet to understand the way all this information is gathered because it is such a mysterious wonder. Your blogs create such curiosity about the universe.
ReplyDeleteFelicita Penas
DeleteASTR 152 OL
MELISSA KHAN
ReplyDeleteAST 152 OL
When I was younger I always use to ask so many questions about stars as well. But once I started learning about them it was always just so crazy to me how much actually went into it. I mean theres brightness, diameter, size, and its not something we actually have any control over. But one thing in all my years I really never heard of till now was that stars die, thats just the craziest idea to me. Also where do they go once they die?
Growing up I don't think any of us think of stars as ball of burning hydrogen, helium and other elements. Kind of takes the magic away doesn't it but once you learn more about it the magic comes back. Our solar system is so amazing and there is so much to learn about. Your stories I have to say are different since I didn't grow up with under the same culture but its so fascinating thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI have always thought blue to be a calm and cool color while red resembles something hot and potentially alerting. So, to learn that red stars are actually cooler than blue stars was strange. It definitely made me confused that it was put into these manners and will probably take getting used to. I found it interesting to learn that stars begin and end as dust and gas, it is basically all just a cycle that is never ending. Also, their whole function of appearing brighter than one another is really cool. There are a couple factors that apply to our ability to see them and distinguish them from one another.
ReplyDeleteDuong Sam
ReplyDeleteAstronomy 152
Whenever I thought of the color red and blue, I always saw that blue represented more of a cooler temperature and red as a much hotter one. But with stars, it's the opposite. Blue stars are actually warmer than red stars. It's probably because of how I perceived it and how the "social norm" saw it as well, like red represent fire and blue as water. I thought stars were meteors or some sort of material that has came off from the sun giving it its brightness. But it was based on their temperature and size. The example you provided about the lamp or headlight of the car really helped me have a better understanding on how we can determine the distance of a star. So the further the star the dimmer the brightness and the closer it is the brighter, right?
I have always paid attention to how some stars are bigger than the other or how one is shining brighter than the other. Just because one star is twice as hot as the other, one would think that it would be twice as bright but no, the simple laws of physics states that if a star is twice as hot it makes it 16times brighter and that’s mind blowing. Knowing that hot stars die faster than cool ones seems logical because when something gets real hot it either breaks or blows up and when it’s cool it says normal. Although white dwarfs being dead stars if they were considered main sequence stars, I wonder if they are still visible to the human eye. It’s pretty interesting how stars have life times just like humans and when they die it becomes gas and dust.
ReplyDeleteThe comparison your article uses between looking at something with one eye and finding the distance of nearby stars is helpful. I didn’t understand you can use a simple thumb method to find the simple distance of 100,000 stars. What was striking to me in your article was the incredibly high percentage (85%) of stars in our galaxy that are binary systems. I was confused by the fact that white dwarves are hot and yet give off no light. I imagine a piece of charcoal, hot but not on fire, giving off a small but visible source of light.
ReplyDeleteI always thought that most stars were around the same temperature and size, but I learned so much from this blog about how stars can differ so much. There are different colored stars such as red stars and blue stars. Also, I found it cool how the brightness of a star is directly related to the temperature of the star. Now that I think of it, that makes a lot of sense. When a star dies it explodes and becomes star dust and gas and eventually new stars are born out of this stuff. I think its crazy how if a star is two times hotter than another star of same size, it would be 16 times brighter as predicted from the simple laws of physics. It is things like this that amaze me and make me wonder how we even found this information. Stars are so interesting to us, yet they are just burning balls of hydrogen, helium, and other elements. How could something like that be so amazing?
ReplyDeleteThis is Robert Braden Villa ASTR 152 Online. Again my fascination and love for the Christmas season led me to find such an interest in stars. Ever since I knew the Baby Jesus story with the visitors to see him led by the North Star, it has had my attention. I did not know there were different colors in the stars. They all look the same to me because I haven't studied with a great telescope. As an earlier blog stated, it is difficult to remember that red is cooler than blue when studying stars. This is just the opposite of everything we label hot and cold.
ReplyDeleteDear Dr. Choudhary,
ReplyDeleteSome things I liked about this blog is it gave us a great insight on what stars actually are and also some details about their brightness and temperature. I never thought the luminosity is a key factor in determining the surface temperature of a star.
I also found the forest metaphor a nice way to explain how astrologist study stars. This example made me think of how stars interact with each other?? However thanks for the great blog professor.
Sincerely,
Richard Burson
Jessica Ovsepian
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
I learned a lot from this article like the fact that temperature is what determines the brightness of a star and that there are blue and red stars. I also learned red stars are cooler than blue ones and that stars that are fainter are called white dwarfs. I was also fascinated to learn that new stars form from those that have died and have become dust and gas. I have always enjoyed looking up at the night sky and seeing many bright, twinkling stars and it is interesting how something made out of hydrogen, helium, and other elements is so admirable. Thank you for another informative article.
Arjun Mudhar ASTR 152OL
ReplyDeleteFrom childhood to adulthood, start captivate the imagination of everybody. The balls of gas look small from here on Earth, but stars are often bigger then our sun. Also, some stars are far colder or far hotter than our sun, as this article explains. The life and death of a star is a journey and a story worth paying attention to.
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteYour blogs are always interesting to read because you always tie in your childhood in the very beginning. Although, I have learned some content about how stars are formed when I was younger, it was interesting to learn more in depth about them, such as how the brightness of the stars depend on their temperature and size.
I found it interesting to learn about the brightness of stars and how they become bright. I also never thought about why car head lights are dimer when far and why.
ReplyDeleteHanne Benabid
ASTR 152 -
ReplyDeleteWhen I was younger I had glow-in-the-dark stars that lit up my room every night. I believed just like in my room the lights in the sky just twinkled simply because God made it so. The way a star begins in the same form it dies in... dust and gas. However, spends its whole life changing from one element, temperature, and density to the next. This weeks lesson allowed me to reflect on my childhood imagination and a new found knowledge.
Kaylee Fagan
I tried to complete the assignment before I read your blog. I had a difficult time with one of the questions and found the answer after reading this. I was having difficulty converting seconds of arc into light years but you explained how to do that when you stated, “the distance to the stars are so large that we need to devise another unit, which the distance at which a star makes 1 second of arc. To travel this distance light takes about 3.26 years. As we know this distance can also be 3.26 light years.” This was a very good read and helpful to the assignment and quiz.
ReplyDelete"Stars are made out of huge dust and gas clouds." I did not know that such a beautiful element is made out of something as simple as dust and gas clouds. I honestly never really thought about what the stars were made out of but when I read that part I was completely dumbfounded. I love to look up at the sky and just daze at the stars. Based upon the information I read a specific question came to mind. How long will a star live until it turns into dust and gas?
ReplyDeleteHow incredible are illuminating stars? When I was little i also had the glow in the dark stars my bedroom ceilings. I would often wonder what composed stars and how were they able to last very long. I like reading how stars are composed of dust and gas clouds.
ReplyDeleteYajaira Tiscareno ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteBefore reading this blog I did not know that stars are born out of huge dust and gas clouds. I found it fascinating that stars spend most their life producing life by converting one element to another. The life cycle of stars is pretty interesting since they are born out of dust and gas clouds and later die to become dust and gas. I would have never imagined that the brightness of a star depends on its temperature and size. As a child, and to this day I always assumed that a star looked brighter simply because it was bigger. As now I learned that many factors are taken into consideration when determining the brightness of a star. I look forward to reading next week’s blog post.
Wow! It makes sense now how stars can be classified by their brightness and distance. Who would have guessed that such mesmerizing night sky stars were such simple creating elements. I also didn't know that the brightness could be calculated by a mathematical formula. I always enjoy getting a another perspective on the stars.
ReplyDeleteYanin Peaches Ortega
ASTR 152 Online
Caitlen Diab ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteStars are really a fascinating phenomenon in our sky. Sometimes I forget to look at the night sky for a while and then when I do I think "Oh wow, I forgot we had those", haha.
I love how you talk about the comparison of the lamps and the stars, and how the distance between the human eye and stars. If stars are light years away and we are able to see them, imagine how bright they would be if they were right in front of our eyes! I imagine that we would be blinded by them. I never thought about this idea until now and I can't stop thinking about how incredible it is.
Thank you for this blog post!
Hello professor, my name is Maria Figueroa and I am part of you Astronomy 152 online class. This blog definitely helps me expanf my knowledge about the universe and gain new information. For example, I know starts exist, but I hadn't thought about how they can be different, I just knew that they were stars. Now, I learned that the brightness of a star depends on their temperature and size. Also, I didn't know that in the sun the stars are hot balls of hydrogen, helium and other elements glowing at temperatures ranging from 2000 to 30,000 degree kelvin. but what it fascinated me the most was that there is a method that we can use to find the brightness of a star. I just think that's really amazing. Overall, this blog contains useful information and I always learn new things from here. I really enjoyed ready them.
ReplyDeleteMaria Figueroa
This week's assignment was a little bit difficult and confusing to me but after reading this blog, I now have a better understanding where stars came from and how they are formed. I really liked how you said you questioned about stars when you were younger, I also had similar questions like that back then also. I always thought that red stars would be the hottest stars but it turned out I was wrong. Instead it was the opposite, I surely did enjoyed this week's blog, Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThis week's blog has been my favorite! I just can imagine how a star's level of brightness means so much. I didn't know that the stars are brighter when their temperature is higher, it really makes much sense. Sometimes I feel like driving to a place where light pollution does not exist. That way I could see the stars' color more. I like what you said at the end, that we can be called "star stuff". It's amazing.
ReplyDeleteKatherine Garay
AST 152 online
Stars are so interesting and fascinating to learn about. While reading this blog post, I really enjoyed how Astronomers use the sequence O B A F G K M to determine the stars temperature from hottest to coolest. I never knew that the brightness of the stars depends on temp. and size, I always thought it was about how far they are.
ReplyDeleteI find it fascinating that we are made out of "star stuff" previously I made no connection with the elements that make up stars and humans. I also find it interesting that stars are just there, making light, and simply burn out.
ReplyDelete-Katlin Moody
Erika Pina
ReplyDeleteAstr. 152 Online
This article taught me a lot interesting facts about stars. I found it interesting that a star produces light depends size and temperature. Also, that a star keeps its brightness by changing elements and that they are made up of gas clouds and dusts.
I never knew stars were composed of dust and gas clouds. I think it is interesting to learn that new stars are created from the materials of dead stars.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Raymond Banting
I really enjoyed reading about the stars. I feel that these blogs are always so insightful and they really help me understand the material, so I can also grasp the concepts and the main ideas being covered through the chapters. It was interesting to read about how a star's light depends on two major factors, being temperature, or how hot or cold they are, and their size, being how big or small they are. This was all new information to me so I really felt engrossed reading this week's lesson.
ReplyDeleteDiana Perez
ReplyDeleteAstr. 152 ONLINE
It is always interesting to read these blogs because I always seem to learn something new. There was a fear when I was younger that the sun was a huge star and that it would explode eventually, and I was always worried that it was going to explode or die out but now I understand why it is going to happen eventually, it is a huge star that is rapidly consuming its nuclear fuel. It is amazing to think that we, humans and the stars above are made of similar elements.
I really liked this post! I found it interesting that if a star is two times hotter than another star of the same size, it would be 16 times brighter! It is awesome that you can tell so much about a star from how bright that star is. I also thought it was really interesting how we can figure out mass and diameter through use of binary stars. It makes sense that hotter stars would die faster than cooler ones. I didn't realize that the light being produced from stars was energy being converted from one element to another.
ReplyDeleteAdrian Ruvalcaba
ReplyDeleteAstronomy 152
This week reading I enjoyed it because of he curiosity you had. Stars come in different colors that explain the range from the most hottest to the coolest. Also on what I learned was the fact that stars and human are build up of similar element which was crazy to find out. This reading also helped me understand the categories of stars better because I was confused about hot big or small and how hot or cold and how we know what each star is.
Alexander Weiss Astr 152
ReplyDeleteYour blog was very informative about the color of the stars and how to determine how far they are. I would not have thought that hot bright strs would die faster than cool faint stars. I would have thought it was the other way around. It was interesting to know how stars are born and that they are created from big clouds of dust and gas. It is pretty scary to think that the star we know as our sun will die someday but we won’t be around to know it.
Dyamond Nicole Bernarnd
ReplyDeleteProfessor,
I've always been fascinated by the life-process/span of stars. It's amazing how one can tell what age a star is in based off of the color of light it is radiating, as well as the type of galaxy the star is in (Ex: elliptical galaxies have dying stars/spiral galaxies have new stars). I truly appreciate astronomy for simple reasons like being able to identify/figure out ANYTHING in Space just by looking at it.
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteI found it fascinating that the brightness of stars depends on their temperature and size because I never thought that those things played a role on making a star be bright. It is interesting to find out that hot stars are brighter because they are heavier than the cooler stars which are not as bright as the hot stars. But that means that hot stars die faster because rapidly consume their nuclear fuel that keeps them bright. I did not know any of those things until I read the blog post which clearly helped me grasp a better understanding about stars and their brightness. I find it interesting how stars are born out of huge dust and gas clouds, but then die and become dust and gas again.
- Yadira Morales-Chinchilla (ASTR 152)
I find it very interesting and informative that we can figure a stars brightness through their size and temperature. Also found it fascinating that we are made of "star stuff". I haven't seen any red stars just looking up at the night sky. But i am definitely going to try and borrow my God Fathers telescope to try and look. The stars are so interesting. I always enjoy reading your blogs.
ReplyDelete-Melanie Leyva
ASTR 152
It's always so interesting to find out all these facts on the temperature of the stars and how it relates to the colors we see. I always used to believe that the reddish stars would be hotter because thats what we think of when we see stuff like hot sauce and other products like that.
ReplyDeleteFor the longest time, I always thought stars were solid objects in the sky (much like asteroids) - but were just stationary in space, non moving. I also used to think that the light that a star transmitted was simply the light of the sun bouncing off the star and returning to earth. But now I see that they are actually non-solid elements, such as hydrogen and helium...and that the light emanating from within it through fusion reactions (from our viewpoint here on earth), is actually light from the star's "past".
ReplyDelete-Cameron Wolcott (ASTR 152)
Mayra Torres (ASTR 152)
ReplyDeleteI found it interesting learning about how each star are not the same. That each one has different temperatures, in different groups, sizes and the brightness. This blog was informative when giving different facts on how stars are created and how they die out. Reading the blogs makes it easier to understand the topic when reading the chapter and doing the assignment.
Sarine Mirzakhanian (ASTR 152)
ReplyDeleteBy reading your blog I realize now that my understanding about the Stars are wrong. I always thought that the red stars are hotter than the blue ones, because to me the color red symbolizes a hot surface. I was aware that stars age and die and that from the gases and dust of that dying star a new star is born. An interesting fact that caught my attention is that "if a star is two times hotter than another star of the same size it will be 16 times brighter as predicated from the simple laws of physics". I have never seen a red star in the sky, always blue ones. Are red stars visible with the naked eye?
Thank you.
This was one of my favorite blogs to read so far this semester. Stars have always been a great area on interest to me! I did not know that stars die and turn into dust and gas and that new stars form from these materials. It is cool to see our universe have the capability to carry out this action. Also, I did not know that stars brightness is determined on its temperature and size.
ReplyDeleteElisha Siem
Ast 152
Online Astro 152
ReplyDeleteIt is quite interesting that stars produce the same elements that we as human beings are comprised of. Previously I believed that stars were simply hydrogen and helium. Knowing this makes me feel apart of the life cycle of stars in a way. I'm continued to be amazed about how much information stars have to offer!
It is interesting how you always use your childhood as an intro, it shows how astronomy was something you were interested in from a young age. Also the fact that 85% of stars are in the binary system was a cool fact.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing, when stars die they turn into gas and dust. When the stars die, new ones form from gas and dust. Also, I learned that it depends on the star's size and temperature of a star's brightness.
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
Melissa Ramirez
The biggest misconception that I had about stars were if they were red they would be hotter and if they were blue they would be cooler. I was surprised to find out that it was exactly the opposite when it comes to their temperature. I always found it interesting how earlier in your life you associated stars with your life. Another thing I found interesting was how you could tell the age of the star by its color!
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Really interesting article. I think it's really beautiful that stars are often reborn from the dust and gas of old stars.It is a "grand cosmic evolution" indeed!
ReplyDeleteLuciana Moreno
AST 152
ASTRO 152 OL
ReplyDeleteAdding to my previous comment, I am so glad we learned why the distances affect the visual magnitude of stars. It makes me look up at the stars more often.
~Elizabeth Narayan
This blog post i found very interesting and informative because I was unaware of how temperature and size matter when it comes to the brightness of a star. When I was little, it was easy to believe stars were so close because of home bright they shine, yet that us not the case. Stars are magnificent to observe and do more research on.
ReplyDeleteNancy Moreno
ASTR 152 OL
I find it really interesting that stars are reborn from gas and dust of older stars. It's also cool how each star isn't the same and that they are all different shapes and sizes. It's also weird that the hot bright stars die faster than the cool stars.
ReplyDeleteJustin Toerner
Astr 152
Hello Prof,
ReplyDeleteThis blog was very interesting. The way scientist connect and chain brightness, temperature, gases, mass ,etc. is very ground breaking and intriguing. I never thought of going so deep just, and to chain everything together to understand stars.
Kristoffer Villabroza
Astr 152
Its amazing to see that the size is not as important as the temperature. As a child I always stared up at the stars wondering how far they are and the fact we can actually figure out the distance as far as 32.6 light years away just shows how far our science has come
ReplyDeleteThis blog was interesting as usual. I found it interesting because who really knows much about stars. It is fascinating how when a star dies it turns into gas and dust and it uses that to create new starts. I did not know the brightness of a star is based on its temperature. Like usual these blogs never fail to amaze me with the amount of information in them.
ReplyDelete-Jazzlin Hernandez
Francisco Facio
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
March 27, 2016
Hello Professor,
This post caught my attention due to the fact that many factors play a vital role and how they are interconnected and affect one another. In addition, the make-up of both individuals and stars are similar. With that said, I always associated red with hot which is why I figured red stars were much higher in temperature than blue stars, but I was wrong.
I found it most interesting that stars are apart of us as well and that when a star dies a new star is born from the old star. I found it interesting that similar to us stars have a life of their own and are all different. I was surprised that the brightness of a star was dependent on temperature and size I always thought it was just how far away the star was from us. Especially that if a star is hotter then it is brighter even if it is the same size. I thought it was odd that hot bright stars die faster than cool faint stars I thought since the cool stars would die off faster since they don't seem very dominant. I was very interested with this blog post because I have never really thought about stars even though they're such a big part of the world.
ReplyDeleteThe thing I find most interesting about the stars and their temperatures is that blue, although typically associated with cold, is the color of hotter stars and the contrary for red. Also how a brighter, more powerful star dies much faster than a cooler, dimmer star.
ReplyDeleteAllan Chan
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Wow! It never really occurred to me how stars were born into space. A long time ago I was watching the movie Lion King and remembered the scene where Pumba states, "Stars are balls of gas burning billions of miles away." Reading that they are formed from gas and dust clouds, it's interesting to see that that statements proved to be factual. Also, I always had assumed stars possessed the same color. Because they are burning, they should have different colors as fire on the stove; however, I did not put it together. It's interesting to see how they burn extremely far and yet we can still see it shine.
Astronomy 152
ReplyDeleteI found it confusing at first how the stars that are ranked blue are the hottest and red are the coolest because typically its the other way around. I learned a lot about star from the post such as the death of a star and the dust recycled by new forming stars. From a young age I've always admired the beauty of stars but I never really learned as much as from this post. It's a shame we can't see many of the stars due to such brightness and lights from the city. Your blogs are always so helpful in explaining the concepts, so thank you !
Grace Doyle
ReplyDeleteAstro 152
I always appreciate your blog posts because I've never thought about astronomy before. I've never had an interest but your blog posts make me interested. I am fascinated by your posts. I like learning about the different types of stars and how they are created. I like they way your posts make me see the universe in a different way.
I've always found stars very interesting. I think the most interesting thing is that we see a little shinny circle in the sky and in reality it is a burning ball. The most interesting fact to me was the temperature of the starts and the colors. I didn't know that red stars are cooler than blue stars. I also had no idea that stars die. I thought they would just sit in our sky and they would always just be there. I really like reading these bog posts because I always have new facts to share with my friends.
ReplyDeleteYaqueline Carlos
ASTR 152
I never knew this much about stars. Thank you for sharing this with us. The formation of stars was something I always was curious about.
ReplyDeleteI love how you always incorporate your childhood into the blogs. Its amazing that stars are hot balls of hydrogen glowing at temperatures from 2000 to 30,000 degree kelvin.I also never knew that there were stars came in different brightness and colors. it would be very interesting to see a red twinkling star!
ReplyDeleteCindy A
ASTR152
The most interesting concept I found in this blog was how distance can distort our views and make the object seem less than it is when farther away in regards to brightness or size. It also still fascinates me when you speak about how the sun is just made of dust and gas clouds. Very informative, thank you!
ReplyDeleteSelena Dang
ASTR 152
I found it really interesting stars are created out of the death of other star. I never knew how they were formed. I always thought that the size of a star was more important than the temperature, but it turns out that I was wrong. This post was really enjoyable learning about how stars are measured and how they are formed.
ReplyDeleteThe creation of stars was the most fascinating portion of this lecture to me. The concept of this "rebirth" seems to align perfectly with the idea of many earthly spirits having the opportunity to be reborn again. I think that within that concept lies the true beauty of the star. Also, the aspect of the stars creating elements within each of us is truly interesting. A portion of us all is produced by a star. That is incredible.
ReplyDeleteAshley Jackson
ASTR152 ONLINE
Fall 2016
I always thought that some stars are brighter because they are closer to us. I never really understand stars. I always wondered why there are there? What reason do they have to be there? It's amazing to me that people are able to find out so many things about stars and things in the solar system just by looking and studying them. My favorite fact from this blog is that new stars are created by old stars.
ReplyDeleteI enojy the comparisons you make between the astronomy facts and real life situations because it makes it that much easier to comprehend. It also makes it more engaging. Like the example of headlights and the distance from stars and how we see them. I've always been fascinated by stars so reading about their brightness and dimness in correlation with their actual color is very interesting. It's crazy to think that the elements stars produce is the one found in our bodies as well and we could be called "star stuff". I feel like that is a very fun fact to know!
ReplyDeleteI never knew stars were always producing and eventually die and turn into dust and gas. That is amazing. As for your intro where you relate the blog post to yourself and talk about a type of star reader there are now many horoscopes that tell you about your sign weekly that i enjoy reading.
ReplyDeleteJust like you professor I was fascinated with the stars at a young age because they were so far and seemed so mysterious. When I would look at them I thought they were really small but as I learned more about them I came to find out how enormous they were. I didn’t know that some looked bigger than others because they shined brighter than others. It was amazing to learn how these giants were made of and how hot they were. What I found interesting while reading this blog was that stars are measured more accurately by the amount of light removed by some of the elements they are constructed by. With so many stars in the sky it is amazing to know how much we have learned about them.
ReplyDeleteKatie Rosa
ReplyDeleteAstronomy 152 (Online)
This blog always grasps my attention, especially when you put a story from your past it makes it easily relatable. I have learned so many new things about the bright stars in our dark mysterious sky. This blog absolutely peaked my interests to the new facts that a lot of people are blindly unaware of. Such as a Red and blue star that our night sky consist of. As well as there being a hot to cool measuring scale that astronomers have made into a funny acronym,"Oh Be A Find Girl Kiss Me". It was crazy to know that stars can die out and when they die they are just dust and gas. The brighter the star the hotter and the dimmer the star the cooler. Another cool crazy interesting fact I learned on this blog is that stars also produce the same elements in our bodies.
I had always thought of the stars as solid, stationary planets that somehow remained in one spot in space through time itself. However, obviously, it seems to apparent now, stars are hot, non-solid spheres that shine, move, and do much of the same things that our own star, the sun, does. Sometimes it takes some wise words to prod at the obvious and open one's eyes.
ReplyDeleteASTR 250
DeleteI like the way you describe and correlate the descriptions of the lights from the car to the stars. It gives us a big picture to envision and let us see the difference in comparison. I like looking at the stars outside of my house and appreciate the view. Too much light in the sky blocks our skies, and cause the enormous light pollution. What intrigues me is that the creation of new stars are made from old stars.
ReplyDeleteEdward Rodriguez
Astro 152
Fall 2016
When I was a little kid, I was so fascinated by how there were different colors of the stars, I thought that all stars were just yellow because of how they were shown in books and on television. But finding out that there were blue and red stars, made me very excited to learn what else was in the universe outside of earth. I always wondered if we would discover more planets than the eight planets we have. It was also crazy to think of how hot stars could be. Who knew that stars would basically be tiny little sun's in the sky.
ReplyDeletehello professor reading your blog made me wonder what I thought about the stars at a younger age. Stars are such an interesting topic to learn about, I still get excited learning about them as if I were still a kid. The idea that stellar brightness is a combination of temperature and size is really informative. and also how the red color is cooler then the color blue. its cool and creative how people astronomers can just find out all kinds of cool informative stuff about the stars in the sky and combine it with the sun.
ReplyDeleteDaJeion Myers astro 152
I always loved learning about stars because it is just so fun and fascinating to know what they are and can do. I found it very interesting how the stars are hot balls of hydrogen, helium and other elements glowing at temperatures ranging from 2000 to 30,000 degree kelvin. I never knew what they were made of and even had a temperature. So new facts are definitely interesting to learn. Great blog post!
ReplyDeleteChristina Tran
Astronomy 152 Online (Fall 2016)
The blogs always make me remember how I used to see the stars and the space. "Those brighter stars are somewhat more special than the ones shining less bright, and those looking blue are maybe sad." The truths/facts are getting revealed as learning in the course, but I came up with a few questions like; I understand it could be varied, but how long will a star live for?; A new star is reborn when the previous one dies, but does it shine as same as the previous one?
ReplyDeleteI have to wonder why, if there are other stars in our galaxy that are bigger and hotter than our sun, why are we not revolving around them? Is a combination of the density and size, and does temperature even play a role in the amount of gravitational pull?
ReplyDeleteAshley Stepteau ASTR 152 Fall 2016
I have to ponder why if blue indicates a hotter temperature than red, then why do we use the phrase "red hot" instead of "blue hot"? And is it because the other stars that burn hotter are that much further away then our sun is that we are not affected by their heat? If there are all of these hot stars out there, why isn't the universe warmer?
ReplyDeleteKierra Stepteau ASTR 152 Fall 2016
Wow! I was blown away when I realized we have a connection with the billions of stars in our universe. I knew that stars died, I just didn't know that that when it dies it becomes dust and gas. I also had no idea that stars produce the elements in our bodies. Science is so amazing! As a young child, I always wondered why some stars were brighter than other. I thought it was because of its distance but now I know it depends on the stars temperature and size. I am so glad to know that that when one star dies it does not explode but rather leaves materials behind that create another star.
ReplyDeleteIxtla Montanez
ASTR 152 ONLINE
Stars have fascinated me since I was little as well! There are so many stars in our universe, so little that we actually see in the sky. (also especially because of all the smog) The brightness of the stars are also very interesting and i forgot about the fact that stars indeed do die.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Maggie Chong
It’s very interesting to know about the stars in space because not only are they fascinating, but there is a lot to learn from them. Such as learning that if a star is brighter it means that it can be closer to our location where we observe them, or it can be that it is hotter by temperature compared to other stars in space. The cool thing that I found out what learning that stars were classified on how hot they are in temperature. The chart starts with O being hotter and M being cooler, the chart is this: O B A F G K M. Hurtzsprung’s and Russel’s Main Sequence study was interesting knowing that there are more cool stars than hot stars in space. There are more cool stars because they live longer than hot stars since hot stars are heavier and they consume nuclear fuel more rapidly which makes them brighter than cool stars. Overall its very fascinating to now that stars are formed from gas clouds and dust, and when they die they become dust and gas. and dust, and then they die and become dust and gas.
ReplyDeleteIt is so interesting the fact that humans such a tiny spec in the universe and are created by the same as a titan like the sun. Stars are massive balls of plasma that we see every night the sky is clear and we have the time to look up at the sky. Today so many people are worried about our environment and our sun. In California especially we have so many people screaming from the heavens that we are doomed. but if the only understood our sky and they would realize Earth has been doomed from its inception just like everything else in our universe. Stars start from a cloud of dust and end up becoming the same and it just recycles over and over. You cannot erase energy it must go somewhere and in the stars case it turns into more stars sooner or later
ReplyDelete-Raymundo Ruvalcaba
ast 152
10-22-16
stars are always fascinating to talk about as I was young I was always told stories about stars. I think its really cool how we see these stars at night and they appear so small to us but they actually are not.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that when stars died, they became gas and dust, and that these materials were recycled to make new stars! I found that extremely interesting, thanks for the post.
ReplyDeleteInteresting read.
ReplyDeleteI find it very interesting how these stars are made in the first place. Thank you.
Brenton Filipi
ASTR 152
I thoroughly enjoyed this read! I for one am so fascinated with the stars and their infinite amounts of wisdom behind each one! In a scientifically speaking sense, it is incredible the amount of information is behind these helium balls. For instance, one thing that I find so interesting is that the amount of time it takes the light to travel to Earth. Some of the stars we see in the sky now could have exploded millions of years ago!! Science and Astronomy is fascinating.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Riley Conlan
This blog post was an awesome read. Stars are one of the few amazing things in our universe that you just have to stop and star at them. I knew that stars were just dust and gas, but I didnt know that they die and just become new stars. This is very interesting to me. The way that stars are classified is also interesting because instead of using numbers they use letters to determine how hot stars are.
ReplyDeleteReginald Hawkins'
ASTR 152 Online
This blog post was very romantically written. What do I mean by that is that you told the story of stars and made them become characters that are all individually different from one another and yet they are made of the same matter, and same elements as everything else in this universe.
ReplyDeleteWhen you said "These stars, known as giants and super giants, appear brighter because of their large size. Such situation in the life of a star happens when the nuclear fuel runs out just before their death." It really opened my eyes to the fact that stars also go through a life cycle just like any living thing. This makes them even more magical to think about. And it makes me wonder how they relate to us and if they do effect us more than what is commonly thought. There is so much that we still do not know about them.
I always thought it interesting that red stars are cooler than blue because it seems backwards to me since if you look at your water pipes at home red is warmer water.
What are the letters standing for when naming stars? Why were these specific letter chosen O B A F G K M? And in that order?
Thank you for a informative story telling lesson about stars.
kind regards
Emmeli Tomth
ASTR 152 Online fall 2016
I loved getting to read about the stars and the differences between them in this blog, and how to tell their brightness and their distance. I have always loved looking at the stars and constellations since I was small and it was great to be able to read this and understand stars from a scientific perspective.
ReplyDeletethis weeks blog entry about the stars was really eye opening.
ReplyDeleteIt was also fascinating to know that stars actually die and turn to gas and dust. I never though about the end to it because I was always mesmerized by looking up in the sky and getting lost with the twinkles.
Learning about stars and how they start and end was really amazing to learn in this blog entry. Looking to the sky everyday seeing those stars all the way in deepspace lightyears away really boggles me and really helps you understand how small we are in the world.
ReplyDeleteIt was interesting to discover that stars spend their entire life spans trying to be as bright as they can be and then just burst into dust and gas and a new cycle of stars form from the previous stars death.
ReplyDeleteIt was very interesting to learn how stars start and end. To know that stars ar in the sky just moving around shinning their lights on us until the day the burn out and turn to dust. The thing that fascinates me is that the same dust that an old star leaves behind is used to create new ones. It is just an endless cycle of stars that are being created.
ReplyDeleteChristopher Posada
ASTR 152
Fall 2016
Once again professor, another great blog post! I've always enjoyed the topic of stars and anything that has to do with them. They have always been one of my biggest fascinations in life.
ReplyDeleteCelina Carpina
ATSR 152 Online Fall 2016
It is interesting to learn the facts that the brightness of the stars depends on their temperature and size. I never thought how the stars brightness matters and change, but by the temperature and the size of the stars, the lights contrast changing is very nature source of change happening that occurs in our life.
ReplyDeleteSungjoo Jeon
ASTR 152
Fall 2016
I enjoy the stories you tell simply because I relate to some and it makes it easier to remember certain topics. The examples you used make it really easy to understand because anyone can relate and test regardless if you have a car or not. Living in Los Angeles there is thousands of cars and it is easy to see car head lights driving towers if you want to test it what you read is true. I like that the formula to find the distance of a star to where we are and how bright it is very simple yet affective. It was also nice to find out that the brightness of a star has a lot to do with the color of the star but I expected to have red stars as the brightest and blue down towards the bottom scale of brightness.
ReplyDeleteJuvenal Lopez
Astr 152 Fall 2016
I found it interesting to learn that the properties of stars, mass and diameter, are commonly measured by using binary stars. I did not know that binary stars circle around a common center similar to the sun and the planets. Also, we can get the mass and radius of majority of stars using these methods. This is because, in our galaxy about 85% of the stars are in binary. I found the lecture to be overall interesting and helpful in learning about stars and their content.
ReplyDeleteVery informative and enjoyable piece. The stars are such a fascinating subject of interest, and it was great getting to learn about them this week. The thing that interests me the most is how far the stars actually are from us and still how bright they shine through our atmosphere. I wonder if one day mankind will ever reach a star so we can get a close up image.
ReplyDeleteElias Orona
ASTR 152
This week's lecture was so interesting to me. From earth we can barely see small specs in the sky. But those specs have so much more to them. I didn't know there were different types of stars till now. Thank you for the blog post professor!!
ReplyDeleteTien Ho
ASTR 152
I am inspired by reading your blog this time. I do not know that Stars are born out of huge dust and gas clouds. And they also die and become dust and gas. I thought the stars are natural, and it just appears like that in the sky. Your blog is interesting and informative as usual.
ReplyDeletePhuong Truong
ASTR 152 2016
I found interesting the fact that you can find temperature and distance of a star vased on its color.
ReplyDeleteRyan Schlup Astr 152
ReplyDeleteVery informative blog again. Learned a few new things in this one as well as last weeks. I had no idea stars came in both red and blue. The process of measuring the size and temperature of stars that are light years away is pretty amazing still baffles me.
Stars are another form of life! They die and comeback to life in somewhat of an after life. Simple forms of gas being able to regenerate is fascinating. Thank you for explaining the context allowing me to gain a better understanding. informative blog all around.
ReplyDeleteTerrel Guliford
ASTR 152
Carlos Murillo
ReplyDeleteASTR 152, Spring 2017
Thank you for the explanation on how we use spectral lines and parallaxes to determine the distance of stars. It's wonderful to know that when stars do die, they create new ones from their dust and gas. It's astonishing to think of how the elements on Earth were once just dust and gas that was formed and cooled by the big bang. I never knew that white dwarfs are actually just the cores of dead stars that stopped producing light! Of course there are billions of stars in the night sky, but it's also amazing to think that the light we see from a star can be thousands of years old!! Thank you for another interesting lecture
Stars are very interesting to me so i liked this lecture a lot and i'm happy i got to learn more about them. I learned that the brightness of a star depends on their brightness and size. I also learned that you can find the temperature and distance of star from its color. Cant wait for the next lecture.
ReplyDeleteAlejandra Mora
ReplyDeleteAstro 152 OL Spring 2017
It is interesting to discover the distance of such far stars. Not only finding out the distance but being able to see a star that can be thousands of years old and possibly not even there anymore is remarkable.
Hi Professor,
ReplyDeleteI think it is very interesting that one can determine the temperature and distance of a star vased on its color. With might seem to be a basic thing color is very important.
ASTR 152
DeleteCSUN
Spring 2017
Professor,
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that we were made of "star stuff." Obviously, we have several elements in our bodies but to know that we have some of the same elements in us as stars, that's incredibile. Now, whenever I tell anyone that I'm a star, I have proof! A star spends all its life converting elements inside itself which is just like us because we convert oxygen to carbon dioxide. This fact only shows me how everything in this world is connected.
Alexis Alvarez
ASTR 152
Spring 2017
Yekaterina Melnik, Astronomy 152 Online, Spring Semester 2017
ReplyDeleteI found it interesting to learn that the colors are so meaningful in the universe, the colors of the stars indicate the star’s brightness and temperature, which can tell us how far away they are from us and how long they will exist along with how much energy they possess. It was also interesting to learn that small stars live longer than massive stars. I was surprised to learn that not all stars explode when they die, I previously believed that is how all stars die. It was interesting to discover that some stars simply become white dwarfs (those of medium mass) and are around but just no longer produce light. It appears that only large stars explode when they are at the end of their life or become black holes. Which makes me wonder why everyone believes that the Sun will explode when it dies, at least that is what I remember hearing on the history channel. The Sun is not a huge star, so does that mean it will end up a white dwarf when it dies? It also makes me wonder in general, with the existence of black holes in the Universe, why everything in the universe is not sucked into it over time. The Universe must be so extensive; it is mind blowing. In any case, I found it interesting to learn about the significance of color in the Universe in the lecture.
Yessenia Gramajo
ReplyDeleteAstr 152/ Spring 2017
Stars are beautiful and so fascinating. The stars we see in the sky could have died years ago but are still seen in the sky. In the mountains when we look up to the sky, we think we are so close to the stars and think we are seeing exactly how it looks, but our eyes only perceive what they can. These stars are so far away from us but we can see them so clearly. When a star dies, they create new ones from the dust and gases. All of the elements on Earth were once just dust and gas that have been cooled by the Big Bang and that is so intriguing to me. Another great lecture! Thank you.
ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing to learn that there is a lot we can know about a star. People do not really think much about them except that they are in the sky. When i was younger i would think that some stars are just bigger than others because they appear brighter, but in reality they are just far in distance and that's why some appear "bigger."
To be honest, I never think deeply when I looked up dark sky at childhood. I just know there is many little stars and they are beautiful. I also thought every stars in the sky have the same brightness, but now I learned that the dimmer star above the sky is cooler or further, and smaller than other stars at the same distance.And it is excited to learned how the stars' temperature and size works for their brightness and why they present us in certain way.
ReplyDeleteYang Liu
Astr 152/ Spring 2017
Kevin Whitmarsh
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
Spring 2017
I find it interesting when thinking about the power of the sun compared to what is actually out there. When you're sitting on a hot beach, getting burned from the sun, you can't help but think that the sun is the most energetic object in the universe. However, when looking at the temperature and brightness of other stars in different locations in the galaxy, you realize just how small the sun really is.
This blog post was interesting to read, it is nice to know about the stars. I was amazed when I read that the red stars are cooler than the blue, because in society, we associate red with heat/fire and blue with cold/ice. It was also interesting to learn that if a star is 2x hotter than a star of the same size it is 16x brighter. And if a star’s radius is 2x larger than another star with the same temperature it is 4x brighter. The brightness of a star depends on the temperature and size of the star. The mass and diameter are also used to measure the brightness of a star. The stars go through a cycle, of gas and dust to stars. A star is created of gas and dust in space, its main purpose is to convert hydrogen to helium like the sun. The stars then die, and new stars are created from that dust and gases. The stars that are in our body are produce by the stars. I really enjoyed reading all this information about the stars.
ReplyDeleteJuliana DLP
Astr152
It was really interesting to learn more about the stars. I always thought that red would be hotter than blue, but its the total opposite. I was always wondering how stars were made out of and finding out they're born out of huge dust and gas clouds. Its interesting to know that out in space there's more faint cooler stars than bright hot stars because the hot stars are heavier.
ReplyDeleteNever did I know that stars could be considered dead stars and can form white dwarfs. Its quite more intriguing to learn how we can know a stars evolution, how bright they are or if falls under the main sequence just by studying its features.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth E.
SP 17
Astro 152
La Vonne Centeno
ReplyDeleteAstr 152/ Spring '17
It was great learning more in-depth about stars. Prior to this class, I always had a misconception of how they looked like because of the way they are drawn and taught to us from childhood. I was also fascinated to learn that red stars were cooler than the blue ones, which would be the exact opposite. I liked learning about composition of stars as well.
Soraya Gomez
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
Its interesting that cooler stars are red and hotter stars are blue. Usually red is hot and blue is cold so it throws me off to see it in reverse. I am somewhat familiar with the brightness of the star depending on how hot and big they are. The thing i didn't know was how they determined the distance of a star relative to another.
Sebastian Artola
ReplyDeleteAstr 152 OL
Interesting and insightful point of view on the ideas of stars. Out of all the things in space, I always believed that the stars were one of the most fascinating things. As a kid, I never was interested in science, but my brother did own a telescope and we would always gaze at the stars in awe. Interesting read to say the least, as I did not know that the stars were ultimately hot little balls of fire like the sun, as you described. Another idea I really enjoyed was the fact that a star's brightness is determined by its temperature and size. And as always professor, your insight into all of this by including bits of you childhood is entertaining!
Thank you for another great article professor, I really found this to be very interesting. I remember as a kid I always was fascinated by the stars as well. They are truly amazing and fun to learn about. Our stars are hot balls of hydrogen, helium and other elements. I didn't know that the brightness of a star had to do with the temperature and the size of the star.
ReplyDeleteanother amazing, helpful blog.
ReplyDeleteIt amazed me how cooler stars are red and hotter stars are blue. I always imagined it the other way around!!
can't wait to keep learning in this course.
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteYour blog post always seem to amaze me. I really enjoyed reading this blog post and learning about the differences in the stars. What most interested me was how differentiate the stars by color.
Megan Perez
Astronomy 152 online
Spring 2017
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteOne of many of my favorite parts of this blog was learning that hotter and cooler stars carry the characteristics through their color. Also, it made a lot more when talking about the distance from our eyes compared to the stars. Thank you for making it clearer for me.
Oyishee Siddiqui
ASTR 152 OL
im curious as to why we tend to symbolize hot as red and cold as blue. I know in infrared lighting, heat is hues of red, orange and yellow but blue flame is the hottest flame. A bit curious if you ask me. I loved the fact that you were questioning what stars ate! I never really thought much of the stars just that they came out at night and were pretty to look at but never had the curiosity like you did. Its so great how your background/upbringing influenced your passion for astronomy.
ReplyDeleteLauren Chachula
ASTR152- #16522
Spring 2017
Zoe Pitko
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
As a child, I also wondered why the star twinkle or why they had different colors. In this lecture, it has made me realize that it makes sense that the closer the star is the brighter it would be. I also did not know how they formed. My dad often told me that a blanket covered the sky and the stars were just holes in the blanket. It brings back many memories, but it does make more logical sense for them to be formed from huge dust and gas clouds!
Eleonor Navarro ASTR 152-16522-Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteHello Professor,
Stars are a great wonder to me because of the way they illuminate the sky. In the Lion King, Mufasa told Simba that the stars represented the kings before their time. Of course with the different constellations, there are also Greek stories that come with it. Many cultures use the stars in the sky to explain different phenomena and talk about origins of seasons and such. I think it's interesting how stars are unique. The brighter the star is determines its distance to us. I think living in the city, a lot of our ambient light blocks the view of the stars that are really out there. Stars are important and I would like to learn more about it thanks to your blogpost.
Patricia Olivera Astronomy 152 Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteI love the night time because that is when the stars come out, it really sucks that we live in a city and we can't see the stars as much but when you can it is worth just looking up for a bit. I always thought the brighter the star the closer it was but that is not real. And it is hard to measure the distance of the stars so its pretty interesting.
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteI admire the way you explained how stars are hot balls of hydrogen, helium and other elements that illuminate in very high temperatures. Also, that the stars' brightness depends on how hot the star is, as well as the size of the star. I was also fascinated by the formation of stars and how they are created primarily from gas and dust clouds. Thank you for providing us with this information!
-Ren
Astronomy 152
ASTRO 152
ReplyDeleteI never associated the stars with elements like hydrogen and helium. Understanding their start and end is crazy. One day they could just be there and the next they just turn to dust. But kind of like recycling, the dust of the dead stars is used to create a new one in the making. It's cool how it all cycles around into new formations.
Cristian Gil 152 Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteI've always thought of stars as balls of fire when in fact they are gas. The birth of a star like our sun is unbelievable. Dust and gas clouds ignite and you have a star that sustains our planet. The sun is made of things found here on earth. Space in unfathomably insane. I can hardly wrap my head aroung these things.
Finding out that the elements found in our body are produced by stars definitely makes me feel closer to the universe; I feel less like a small pinprick in this vast void. It gives off a welcoming feeling, that we belong here and are not some anomaly. It's also interesting to note how blue stars are significantly hotter than red stars, when we normally see these colors as the opposite: blue being cooler than red. I feel that this shows that we have much to learn about the universe, for an indefinite amount of time.
ReplyDeleteJessica Levin Samarscova
ASTR 152 Spring 2017
Hi Professor, I have always been so fascinated by the beautiful stars. I love looking up at the night sky and just admiring them. I did not know that the elements in our body are produced by stars. Thank you for this lovely blog.
ReplyDeleteNatalie Bedrosian
Astr 152
I enjoy reading about how one of your childhood memories relates to your fascination with astronomy. Each story makes me appreciate the science behind it.
ReplyDeleteMichael Somarriba
ASTR 152
Upon reading this blog post, I had always thought of stars as mere shining object in the sky. I was never curious about the mechanism behind stars. It was very interesting to read that when stars die, they create new ones with their gas and dust. Reading these blog posts make astronomy more interesting. By incorporating your childhood studies as well as going through the material makes it much more engaging and fun to learn. Thank you for this blog post!
ReplyDeleteAngella Dijamco
ASTR 152 ( Online )
Spring 2017
I particularly enjoyed the dimming light analogy that was used to illustrate how we calculate the absolute brightness of stars. I also enjoyed learning about the binary stars and how they are used to measure several different things.
ReplyDeleteI've always believed that there is something in this world that controls what happens on this Earth. Whether it was a spiritual being, a god, deity, or nature, something had to explain this weird phenomenon of coincidences. I like to believe that nothing on this planet occurs without a reason and that everything happens in the order that they do for a reason. I’ve always had a strong fascination about possible life on other planets because we can’t be the only forces in this world who are capable of a thought process and feelings. When I think about how vast our universe is, there has to be something that explains that this is much, much bigger than us.
ReplyDeleteAbigail Garcia
Astr152 Spring 2017
When I was younger, I knew of the sun and stars as fireballs. I was told stories that they were burning flames and that is why we see them shine from so far away. It is amusing because when you think of red you think of hot but blue as cool. Like you mentioned when it comes to stars the red stars are cooler than blue stars and our sun is a yellow star. It is unfortunate in Los Angeles seeing a star lit sky is very rare, but the sight of one is absolutely beautiful. I always wondered why that is the way it is. Why can we not see stars shine brightly in our night sky? But one of the aspects that catch me by surprise is that stars are created to create. Meaning they are created from dust and gases, they produce light by converting the elements to one another, and when they die their dust creates a new one.
ReplyDeleteCristina Zakaryan
Astr 152 OL Spring 2017
As a child in elementary school I remember hearing a story from a classmate that comets were coming down at night. The story went on to say that there would e extraterrestrial life aboard. This scared me and I remember asking my mom about it. Unfortunately the internet was not around at the time and I wasn’t able to just google the story myself to learn that comets are a natural occurrence. I also wondered why some stars are brighter than others. I didn’t know that the stars were distanced from earth differently. At the time I thought that everything in the sky was the same distance as the moon.
ReplyDeleteMahrum Arya Zahiri
Astr152 Spring 2017
100859250
Through this blog post I discovered valuable information concerning the impact of stars on our lives and the creation of these celestial entities. I learned that stars are born out of dust and gas clouds and live to become a source of energy through the fusion of elements such as hydrogen into helium. I admire the stars as they are responsible for significance on this Earth and by studying their location and movement we can discover interesting facts about the properties and systems that make up our universe. It is interesting to know why some stars are brighter than others as it depends on its temperature and size. Next time when I gaze at the stars, I will be able to understand the differences among the visible ones in our sky and the constellations.
ReplyDeleteFrom this blog, I can conclude that I never knew much about stars. However, I have learned that we have two kind s of Stars red and blue. Red Stars are cooler that the blue Stars. The brightness of the star is dependent on its temperature, size and, location. There is so much more to our sky than we may know, each star has it's own life and although we may not realize it, they also die. There is more to them than we may think, this post made me realize that stars are one of a kind and learning more about them can help expand our knowledge about the universe in general.
ReplyDeletemany people believe that stars can say the future and also the destiny of people, I personally don't. I just see the space as an incredible vast place that I can't even realize it's vastness. In this lecture one of the facts that I found interesting is about the brightness of the stars If a star is two times hotter than another star of same size, it would be 16 times brighter!
ReplyDeletei wasnt aware that the color and brightness of the stars depended on the temperature of it. Also to know that a star dies and is reborn again is amazing. They also have a end date just like us humans. The same material creates more stars that is found when a star dies
ReplyDeleteIt is crazy to think that when I look at the stars, I am made up of the same substances as it. It was interesting to learn about the different temperatures of the stars and the colors. I learned that there are two kinds of stars Red and Blue. The red stars are cooler than the blue, which almost seems ironic.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy the topic of relativity in this article and about the colors of stars. This also made me wonder about the relationship of stars and astronomy and astrology since you brought up the stars governing our future.
ReplyDeleteI too have wondered how stars hang up in the sky. My family and I travel a lot and have done many road trips. While doing this I like watching the sky as we're driving and looking out my window to see the stars. I find it so relaxing and a few times I have even had the opportunity to see a shooting star.
ReplyDeleteEmery Hernandez
ASTR 152 Online
Spring 2017
ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteI like how the examples given in the blog correlate to the lecture being taught, which is actually very helpful. I found the example where the headlights of a distant car may seem dim but it is only because they are farther away. As the car approaches closer then the lights get brighter, which helps explain that if a start is closer to earth it appears brighter in the sky.
Thank you so much for having a bog with so much valuable information. Prior to reading this, i had no idea that the temperature is what determines the brightness of a star. it is very cool to know that there are blue and red stars.
ReplyDeleteMd Alam
astr152 Online
spring 2017
Great post. I liked the analogy about car headlights and the distance and brightness. It's great when you're driving, or are in an area that has less light pollution. You're able to clearly see the stars in the sky brighter and it's always nice to relax and see what stars you can find. Especially with the Star finder app available on your phone!
ReplyDelete-Anthony Martires (ASTRO 152)
As I mentioned from my a comment on an earlier blog post, I have always dreamt to grasp a star in my hand. To know that a star is made up of dust and gas clouds furthers my disappointment because now I know that I literally cannot grasp it with my hand! A part of me wishes that stars solidifies as they die so I can have remnants of it.
ReplyDeleteOnce again, another very interesting blog, I really enjoy these lectures. I always learn something new from them. From this blog, one of the new things I learned is that stars die and I never knew that, although it does make sense. What really fascinated me was that new ones are created from the ones that pass which is very interesting.
ReplyDeleteNazenie Parsamyan
ASTR 152 (Online) Summer 2017
I never thought about the temperatures of stars and it affecting their brightness. I also did not know about binary systems and that a majority of stars were included in that.
ReplyDeleteAmber Daoud
ASTR152 Online Summer 2017
I love the blog posts like this that not only state what we know, but explain HOW we know. I'm the type of person that likes to know how things work and how we know the things we know. I appreciate that in this lesson you explained that there are different brightnesses and temperatures of stars, and HOW we can tell how bright and hot they are. Truly fascinating.
ReplyDeleteHeather Friedman
ASTR152 Summer 2017
GREAT BLOG PROFESSOR, I REALLY ENJOY READING ALL YOUR BLOGS, AND HOW INFORMATIVE THEY ARE, I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT STARS ONLY THAT THEY ARE A LOT, I DIDNT KNOW THERE IS DIFFERENT COLORS IN STARS AND HOW BRIGHT THEY ARE IS BY THEIR TEMPERATURE, KNOWING THESE THINGS HELP US UNDERSTAND MORE ABOUT WHAT WE ARE STUDYING AND WHAT THE UNIVERSE AND ASTRONOMY IS ALL ABOUT.
ReplyDeleteAbdulaziz Almurad
ASTR 152 SUMMER 2017
I had heard that we were made up of stardust but I always thought it was made up-- like astrology. Wow, that's honestly fascinating. Another thing that I thought about is the fact that our sun is a star. I knew that, obviously, but it really clicked right now. And what I thought of first was shooting stars. I now know these are dying stars and I realized that our sun will be a shooting star one day, but according to most scientists it won't be for years. This then led to to the realization of how OLD the universe must be. We see shooting stars quite often, so that means those stars must be extremely old in order to have lived a full "life" then died out. I might be wrong, I don't know, but it really put things into perspective.
ReplyDeleteRayleen Silva
ASTR152-- Summer 2017
Thank you for writing this blog; it was very interesting and informative. When I was younger I never really knew how stars were created, I just thought of them as bright lights in the sky. I really liked your comparison of the stars’ brightness to that of a car’s lights. It is amazing how stars form from the dust and gas clouds. I never knew how much you could know about stars by simply examining their temperature and composition.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth Luna
Astr 152
Summer 2017
Growing up in Los Angeles, I didn't have a strong relationship with stars. I always remember that there would be jokes about how polluted our sky was and how we could barely see any stars, or how there were none, so I never really thought about it. It wasn't until I traveled when I got to see stars and admire what I was missing out on. This particular blog post gave me a lot of information that I had missed out on when I was growing up because I couldn't see it, so in my eyes I thought it wasn't a big deal. I had never heard about us being made up of stardust, but I find that so amazing!
ReplyDeleteElia Narvaez
ASTR 152 (Online) Summer 2017
Hello Professor and thank you for your blog post and information you provided. Through reading your post, I've learned that there are so many factors that go into how light, star light in particular, is perceived by our eyes. When I visited the Griffith Observatory, they have an exhibit that explains particularly how this calculated and how we see light. Just as you've explained, there is a difference between apparent brightness and how bright a star's light actually is.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
I think it's really interesting that the brightness of stars can be estimated with ratios of temperature and size. I like learning about math in nature and using it to learn more about our world. As well, I finally learned what super giants and white dwarfs are. I have heard these terms before, but I didn't understand what they are.
ReplyDeleteKathryn Munster
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
I found the analogy about the headlights to be very helpful. It helped me comprehend how distance and luminosity correlate. Later, when I was taking one of the quizzes, there was a question about brightness and distance and I knew that 2 times closer would mean 4 times brighter. Interesting stuff!
ReplyDeleteShayla Mayers
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
It is so cool that math exists so deeply within our world. I now understand more about stars and their brightness and how light works. This so far has been my favorite blog post!
ReplyDeleteMelissa Dreiling
Summer ASTR 152
Before taking an astronomy course, I had no idea that red colored stars were cooler than blue colored stars. I always thought that red colored stars represented hotness and blue colored stars represented coldness because of society's classification of the two colors. I really liked your comparison of an oncoming car's headlight to be similar to a star that is closest to us. It makes sense that the brightness is four times dimmer if an object is twice as far from us. Before taking this class, I also had no idea that distance, size, and temperature were all important factors to how a star's brightness is classified. At the end of the day, I also agree with the idea that we are all made of star stuff.
ReplyDeleteJulius Loredo
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
It is interesting to hear that such scientists were able to find a way to calculate brightness of stars even if they are so far away from us. I never really knew that it was possible to get such exact measurements. Even if a star is farther, I can still be brighter than the brightest star we see in the sky at the time. The classification system you mentioned I would like to learn more about. I was unaware of the colors and the spectrum they would fall under until this post made it clearer.
ReplyDeleteThis blog is interesting and i really learned a lot. Now i know the way to calculate the brightness of stars and the distances from us. I will use these ways to see the stars at night.
ReplyDeleteYiting Wu
Astr 152 Online
Summer 2017
It could get confusing to learn about all the different types of stars, and what they are made up of. I did not know the temperature was also because of the size as well. Thant's intersting.
ReplyDeleteThank you,
Daniel Kwon
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
Aishabibi Zhursinbek
ReplyDeleteASTR152
Summer 2017
Every blog post is so informative. I learn a lot from these readings. It was interesting to know that 85% of stars in our galaxy are in binary system and that stars are classified into groups of O B A F G K M according the temperature.
It was interesting to find out that stars are in certain category and that they are all made differently. Thank you for this informative blog post.
ReplyDeleteSarah Choi
ASTR 152 Summer Online 2017