The Star is Dead, Long Live the Star
Debi Prasad Choudhary
Los Angeles, 4/1/2014
All that is born must die. That is the ancient oriental
wisdom. It is always observed for the living creatures on earth, but is true
for the stars, galaxies and perhaps for the universe it self? These are big
questions. We made considerable progress in past one hundred years to answer
some of these questions. In fact, two Nobel Prizes have been awarded for
understanding the dead stars!!
So what happens in the end of a star’s life? That was a
question pondered by a young Indian student Subramanian Chandrasekhar in 1930
while travelling from Madras to London by boat. He used the newly discovered physical
laws that govern the property of matter at very very small and very very large
scales in extreme situations.
The energy produced at the center by converting hydrogen to
helium flow out and exert pressure on the matter, which is countered by the
pressure due to gravitational force during the main part of stars life that
keeps it stable. Towards the end of its life, more hydrogen is burnt to produce
more energy. As the energy flows out, the outer part of the star expands making
the star a bigger sphere. These are called red giants, as they look redder due
to relatively cooler surface temperature. Betelgeuse is an example of such a
star. Later, the material from the outer
envelops blows away with varying speed. The outer most part is blown away at a
slower speed compared to the inner part, which eventually overtakes. This
process produces a shell like structure, called planetary nebula, as they can
be seen through small telescopes as planets.
As the outer layer becomes loosely bound to the star and
ultimately blown out, the core of the star starts collapsing after the
exhaustion of hydrogen to burn and become a dense. Typically a star like the
size of sun reduces to an object of the size of earth and become white dwarf
stars. They are hot and small, so look dimmer compared to their temperature. They
are so dense that the weight of a teaspoon of material from such objects would
be equal to the weight of a cruise ship!!
Chandrasekhar worked out the property of matter in such
extreme situations. Following the discovery of the “particle” property of light
waves by Einstein in 1905, in 1924 a French PhD student de Broglie postulated
the wave nature of electrons in his 17-page thesis, which was awarded Nobel
Prize. According to this, all particle of matter is associated with a wave, the
wavelength of which decreases with its mass and velocity. Using the physics of
“small world” or “quantum mechanics”, it becomes apparent that particles cannot
be brought closer than their wavelength. When the matter is squeezed enough in
a white dwarf stars, they come closer and the velocity increases approaching
the velocity of light. The velocity of light has special significance, as
nothing can cross this speed limit. As objects approach this speed limit, they
become heavier and shorter and the time slows down!! Chandrasekhar showed that
in such extreme conditions, if the mass of a star were 1.72 ´ (mass of the sun), the
pressure due to the electron gas would play the role of radiation pressure for
a normal star and stop the further collapse of the star. This is called
Chandrasekhar limit, for which he received Noble Prize in 1983, a year after I
joined for PhD and took few classes from him!!
I still remember his simple style of teaching complex
mathematics using just chalk and blackboard!! Question may arise, why did it
take more than 50 years to award Noble Prize to Dr. S. Chandrasekhar, professor
of physics in University of Chicago? My understanding is that, observational
verification of his theory was difficult and took a long time. One such star
accompanies the brightest star in the sky called Sirius. The stars like the sun and 3 to 4 times
heavier, would die to create a Planetary Nebula, which would eventually
disappear, but their core would survive for eternity as white dwarf!!
For heavier stars with masses in the range of 4 to 8 times
the mass of the sun, the death is more violent. The electron gas cannot stop
the collapse of the core. At the end of the life, the core would collapse
suddenly such that it would be denser than the nucleus of an atom. As, that
would not be sustainable; the core would immediately relax to a slight bigger
size, so that a star like sun shrinks to the size of San Fernando Valley. This
would send shock waves to blow away the outer envelop of the star at very high
speed. The outer ejecta, known as supernova remnant, would shine an entire
galaxy, brighter than 10 billion suns. Chinese astronomers recorded one such
event in our galaxy in 1048 AD, which is known as Crab nebula. I witnessed such
an event in 1987, in a nearby galaxy Large Magellanic cloud. Recently in Mid
January 2014, one such event was observed in a nearby spiral galaxy M82. These
ejecta fads away quickly depending on the death of a normal or a binary star
with strange companions.
These ejecta prepare elements heaver that iron. We are made
out of these elements, so we are star stuff!!
If the core of the dead star is below 5.6 times the mass of
the sun and squeezed to a size of 10 to 15 km in size, the matter would be so
dense that all of them would be in the form of neutrons. At this stage the
neutrons would resist further collapse, similar to the electrons in case of
white dwarfs. Neutrons are neutral particles inside the nucleus of an atom and
play very important role in nuclear reaction that produce energy in power
plants. After receiving a telegram about their discovery by Chadwick in 1932 at
University of Cambridge, Lev Landau of USSR immediately stated that there must
be neutron stars. Two years later Caltech astronomers Walter Baade and Fritz
Zwicky published a paper proposing the core of some of the supernova ruminants
to be neutron stars. These dense objects rotate fast with periods of about few
seconds and emit light, mostly in radio wavelengths, through cones along the
rotation axis. Some such stars are aligned towards us in such a way that we see
them as lighthouse beacons and known as pulsars. While in graduate school, I
had a rare privilege to work briefly with Dr. Anthony Hewish, who received
Noble Prize in 1974 for the discovery of pulsar by his PhD student Jocelyn Bell
in 1967 under dramatic situations. It was a pleasure to hear many stories
surrounding this discovery.
When the core mass exceeds 3 to 5 times the mass of the sun
(the limit is not precisely known), even the neutrons cannot stop the collapse.
The star eventually becomes a Black Hole. If the light enters a sphere of about
10 km of a Black Hole of 5 solar masses, it cannot escape. So, anything that
happens within this sphere can never be known. This sphere is known as event
horizon.
Every thing that is born is certain to die. When and how is
not precisely know, but we surely know the rough circumstances of all these
events. So, the stars die but their cores long live.
It is interesting that as a star gets older, it can get cooler and larger, or hotter and smaller! Opposite of what I though happened to the aging star. The planetary nebula, would be an awesome phenomenon to watch! It must be huge, if it can resemble a planet, when seen through a telescope. It is amazing that the planetary nebula will disappear and leave a white dwarf forever! Astronomy is truly mind boggling! Larger stars having more violent deaths is interesting because they shrink to a small size in such a short time! But is it possible for a smaller star to have a violent death as well? Or is that out of the question?
ReplyDeleteI found the deaths of larger stars interesting, especially how the core shrinks to such a small size and then explodes the outer envelope in shock waves. It is almost impossible to imagine the fact that the death of a large star could shine an entire galaxy. I also wish we knew more about black holes, for me, they are such an abstract concept.
ReplyDeleteSkylar Keck
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this article. I find it so interesting about the life of a star. The Red Giants, white dwarfs, it all sounds like fantasy, but it's reality! I think planetary nebulae are fantastic, I would love to be able to look at one through a telescope.
The most interesting fact in your blog was the Crab nebula. If there was a way to know when these events were to happen, I would love to see one. Just recently, there was a lunar eclipse. Eclipses can be timed and mapped out to the exact time it will occur. I think witnessing a Crab nebula would be just as exciting to experience. Another astonishing fact was how dense some stars like the White Dwarf really are! I also wonder what happens to Black Holes. I know when stars die they become this, but even Black Holes must die too?
ReplyDeleteThe death of black-hole, neutral star and white dwarf is not well understood. People are studying this process. Nice you raised this question.
DeleteI found this weeks lecture blog very interesting. I thought it brought up some interesting questions and ideas and how some people study the stars in different ways than others.
DeleteASTR 152 ONLINE
FALL 2016
MARINA MELKUMYAN
Hello Professor Choudhary,
DeleteFrom reading your blog about the star is dead, long live the star is was an interesting take to factor in how the energy is produced at the center and how hydrogen and helium gets flown out and exerts on the pressure of the matter it has encountered with the gravitational force! Another interesting take I found in your blog was the outer layer of the star and how loosely it comes to bound itself and connect itself toward the exhaustion of the hydrogen to burn the earth and the size of it, it was really enlightening to see how the denseness of this bigger sphere would transfer the quantum the mechanics in decreasing the wavelength as well!
Liliana Navarro, ASTR 152 Online, Summer 2018
I never get tired of learning about new nebulae. Such as the Crab nebula. Also, learning about the beginning and ends of stars is always satisfying, too.
ReplyDeleteAlan Jesus Arellano
ASTR 152OL
It is great to refresh my mind that when stars start to die, they collapse. Eventually they can create a white dwarf or a neutron star. Very large stars can collapse and become almost infinitely dense. Their gravity increases. As the gravity increases, everything gets heavy and nothing escapes the star's gravity. And to imagine a dead star with a gravity so strong that light can't even escape, incredible! When light can't get out, black hole is created. I'm fascinated by Black holes and they are some of the strangest and most fascinating objects found in outer space. They are objects of extreme density, with such strong gravitational attraction that even light cannot escape from their grasp if it comes near enough.
ReplyDeleteLarisa Karapetyan
Anila Ismail
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
I found the way stars die interesting. My understanding is that there is an increasing of energy and pressure which blows of the outer cover of the star and eventually the inner structures will also disappear. THe energy is created by more hydrogen being burned. The core of the star collapses after the outer layer is blown out by the increase of pressure and energy. This causes the core to become more dense.
I also liked the discussion of the crab nebula.
From my understanding the core of a star can still exist after the outer layer is gone. At this stage is the star considered dead or alive?
This article is very interesting. The way stars die, but their core lives a long way is interesting. I am very surprised that a a huge star about the size of the sun can shrink and become the size of the earth then become white dwarf. This was something that I need not know it am em very glad to read your posts and find out more about the universe.
ReplyDeleteWow, I when I was younger I was taught that stars could die but never in detail. This really explained it in away I was able to fully grasp and picture how a star might die its kind of sad actually. Stars go through a whole life cycle like humans is strange yet fascinating.
DeleteWow, I think it is so crazy that the core can get so dense that the weight of a teaspoon of material from such objects could be equal to the weight of a cruise ship! I also think that is really cool that you took a few classes with Chandrasekhar. Taking a class from somebody who won a Nobel prize had to be amazing. I really learned a lot from this blog and enjoyed it! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteIts very true that everything that lives must die and everything that has died once held onto life. Stars and things in the galaxy are no exception to this. I find it ironic that the increasing of energy is what causes a star to ultimately die.The density of a star is amazing! It is equal to that of a ship. That is pretty astonishing.The theory that Dr. S. Chandrasekhar founded which was named after him, "Chandrasekhar limit", was so complex to understand but, its what won his Nobel Prize--considering you have taken classes with him, which is really cool. All it takes is was one question to discover new things in life.
ReplyDeleteI knew that stars can get cooler, hotter, larger etc... however, I would never think that stars get older like human beings! It was astonishing to learn that the stars die but their core lives a long way. Also, it is very interesting to know that planetary nebula will one day disappear by leaving a white draft forever. I would love to watch the planetary nebula!
ReplyDeleteChristian Estrada ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteThe more I read and learn about stars, the closer and closer I feel that stars are living creatures. I know it's absurd to think like that, but the way that these enormous objects floating in the universe have life stages, completely amazes me. The way they change and morph just as plants and animals do, astounds me. The very idea of a black hole terrifies me. But being able to read and begin to comprehend exactly what happens to stars and WHY the things that happen to them, happen, really gives me the pleasure of having even a slightly more educated view of our universe, and all that it entails. Thanks professor!
Wow, thats so crazy to imagine time slowing down...thats the kind of stuff we see only in movies but its real! humans are barely using a small percentage of their brains to research the skies, i can only imagine the further research. this blog really helped me in seeing how a star is a living thing! it lives and then it dies!
ReplyDeleteThis is the perfect blog for the conclusion of this course. The process of a larger star dying was amazing to read. The article was interesting like all the others have been throughout the semester. The most amusing fact was that a star like the size of sun reduces to an object of the size of earth and become white dwarf stars. They are dense that the weight of a teaspoon of material from such objects would be equal to the weight of a cruise ship. Truly astronomy is extremely mind blowing. I am glad I took this class.
ReplyDeleteThis article invoked conceptual thinking for me. I didn’t realize until class and article that as energy pours out from stars that they expand. I would have just assumed that the energy leaves and like a crushed orange gets smaller, more condensed. Eventually they do get more condensed, to the point that the one teaspoon becomes the mass of a cruise ship, according to the article.
ReplyDeleteI always knew that the earth would become a black hole at a dense size such as one mile wide, but was fascinated to learn that at that density the entire block of matter would just be made up of neutrons. It also amazes me the thought that past a certain point in a black hole no one will ever know what truly happens.
Joel Melchor
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 Online
I really enjoyed this article, very interesting. Before taking this course i had no idea stars died. Never even wondered what happened to these stars. I always thought they were forever in the sky. Everything must die. But the cores long live. Kind of similar to how humans die, but the memories long live.
Melissa Khan
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 ONLINE CLASS
I honestly really enjoyed this blog, it truly sucks that Dr. Chandrasekhar's principal took so long to be recognized. But I did find it very cool to learn that the Sun actually have different stages before it go to be the Sun, I didn't know that till reading the blog and the chapter. I found that to be really amazing that just like almost anything else the Sun had evolved. Another thing I found really interesting was the fact that heavier stars took longer to die, I would of thought it would have been faster to die because they had be living for so long.
Joseph Wright ASTR 152 OL
ReplyDeleteI found your blog to be really exciting and informative yet again! I didn't realize stars could die actually. I never thought about how something like a star must one day burn out too. Its also cool to know that when stars die, they collapse and form white dwarfs or neutron stars. Good post!
Wei Hung Lai
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
The Star will actually die. I never knew that before reading this article. I was completely shocked after realizing this truth. From my perspective, I thought star will last in the sky forever. All that is born must die. I really like this quote. So does that mean our world is going to die eventually ? I've been wondering this question for long time. If the Earth is going to die one day. What will happen to human? or even all the creatures in the Earth. One thing we surely know that is the stars will die but their cores long live. However, is there any other way we can survive without living in Earth. I can vaguely remember that I read a article about some people doing some research about Mars. We might live in Mars one day. Who knows?
I think it's amazing how stars have a different life cycle. The death of the star seems to recycle itself and form a white dwarf. This cycle reminds me of the Phoenix bird and how it is reborn. The universe does a lovely job at recycling the material it uses.
ReplyDeleteMaria Gonzalez
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 - ONLINE CLASS
So far we have learned a lot about how a star is born, lives and finally we have gotten the chance to learn how a star die. This was a blog I am really intrigued in reading because I never have heard about how the process takes place. After hydrogen is exhausted the star collapses and although a star collapses, its core continues to live for a long time! makes way for red giant and so forth.
Felicita Penas
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
After reading this post I am able to admire stars even more! I never knew stars also had an end to their shinning lives. It has been very interesting reading about their life cycle. Their beginning and end is just astounding to learn. This blog once again clarified many misconceptions and I have moved on from the mainstream "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" theme song.
Elin Madadian from ASTR 152 OL
ReplyDeleteIt was absolutely fascinating to read about how a star dies. Reading about how these stars have different stages of their lives and how they die really makes it feel like life does go in a full circle. At the beginning of this course, I didn’t really know much about stars, and the fact that they die is one of the things that I had absolutely no clue about. I always thought the same stars were in the sky forever but now that I know more, the stars are almost personified in my mind in a way. All that is born, truly must die, and I know that now.
It is no surprise that all things come to an end, big things and small things. Unique steps occur before the stars die is very interesting. As these stars live their years, as they age they burn more fuel (hydrogen) into helium for more energy, these growing energy causes expansion of spheres—the red giants. The process is very interesting because I would imagine that the stars will shrink in order to become hotter, but instead they get bigger. I thought this was an interesting phenomenon.
ReplyDeleteTaylor Hobson
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
Reading your blog I found that I had to re-read it over a couple of times. It wasn’t that it was confusing it was just that there was so much information filled in a blog that small. I wanted to understand everything you explained so I paid close attention to the parts you explained about the life span of a star, generally the end of its course. You mentioned the death of a star being more violent in the heavier stars with masses in the range of 4 to 8 times the mass of the sun. I found it interesting because once the star starts to shrink it begins to send shock waves to destroy the outer part of the star at a very high speed. I didn’t know any of this information before reading your blog.
Its so interesting how the core of a star lives for so long. The way a star ends its life is astonishing. This blog as definitely aided me in understanding the process of a star from the beginning to the end.These blogs are packed with so much information its great!
ReplyDeleteIts amazing how long the core of a star lives for. And like you said, everything lives and everything dies. Nothing can live forever. This has been such an amazing blog and I am very thankful that you have taken the time to provide us with such amazing information that we cannot find in textbooks.
ReplyDeleteWe are all aware that everything that lives must eventually die. Now learning about how this applies to stars was interesting. The function of stars is very unique, there is a lot that has to do with is production and its ending. The fact that a huge star can shrink into something as ‘small’ as the San Fernando Valley really caught my attention because that is crazy to think about. I mean, we see stars as little specs in the night sky when in reality they are large masses in the sky. It is all just very mind bottling, you see these things every day and do not stop and question them but reading these facts just show you how complex and astonishing they can be.
ReplyDeleteAlso, the fact you were able to take classes with a Nobel Prize winner is incredible. It must have been a great experience for you.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDuong Sam
ReplyDeleteAstronomy 152
I thought stars lasted for eternity, I never thought they "died"; maybe it's because I thought everything in space was eternal. It's amazing that there are certain phases that a star dies such as the sun; our biggest resource of energy dies?! That's something I cannot wrap my mind around. What I found most interesting about the blog was that we are also made up of star "stuff", which is weird to be able to compare myself to a star when I look up at the sky.
Astronomy 152
ReplyDeleteWow I didnt know a star could die, specially not in such a violent way. I always though a star just kept burning forever and I always thought that the bigger the star the hotter its temperature. Also I didnt know that blue stars where hotter than the red stars.
Astr 152
ReplyDeleteJust like other things alive, stars have an end to. As they are about to die, the sun burn more hydrogen to become a brighter star which eventually causes it to be too bright and fade away. When they become white dwarfs it’s interesting how they become heavy and yet dimmer. When light cannot escape from that of dying stars, it creates a black hole which is interesting because it’s like an old man who takes his last breath before eventually dying. Although stars die, I find it mistaken because it dies from the increase of energy and that should only make it shine brighter, oh well I guess a star has its own ways of life. It has been a pleasure being in your class and it was fun reading all of your blogs and the stories you heard when you were a childhood which only made me think of my childhood and the way I saw the stars.
I found it very interesting how in the deaths of larger stars, the core shrinks to such a small size and then explodes the outer envelope in shock waves. Before taking this course I knew barely anything about the stars, outer space, and the universe, but after taking this course I am glad I did. I learned so much about the universe and stars and find it very interesting. How stars are born and die it is amazing. It proves how nothing can live forever and everything has to die at some point. I think its crazy how a giant star can shrink down very much and become a white dwarf star. I have learned that outer space has a life cycle just like we have a life cycle on earth.
ReplyDeleteThis is Robert Braden Villa from ASTR 152 online. How amazing that white dwarf stars are so dense that one teaspoon of this material would be the same weight as a cruise ship. This blog makes me wonder with amazement at how huge space is. It is hard to comprehend. I wonder what is really all going on out there while we are living our lives here and most of us are oblivious. I mean, a star could be dying and the supernova remnant giving off light brighter than 10 billion suns and we could never even know it happened right when we are outside watering our lawn or something. With the enormity of the universe I am sure these things happen all the time. We just miss it. It makes me want to tune in and see more. Thanks for making all of this interesting.
ReplyDeleteDear Dr. Choudhary,
ReplyDeleteI am really intrigued about this blog because it seems to answer all my questions about the stars actual life span. I did not know that stars become bigger towards the end of their life cycle nor that they become red giants partially due to their cooler surface temperature.
It almost seems unbelievable that a single teaspoon of material from a white dwarf star is equal to the weight of a cruise ship. I find it interesting that the star collapses into a small star consider to its earlier form and becomes so dense.
It really is amazing that you were able to take a few classes from a noble prize winner. I also wondered what it would be like to be taught by such great intellectual experts. It is truly a fascinating fact. However another thing is that the white dwarfs velocity approaches the speed of light, which you informed us no speed is greater. It is truly an amazing process a star under goes during its life. Thank you for the intriguing blog professor.
Sincerely,
Richard Burson
Caitlen Diab ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteI have never thought of the idea of stars going through the circle of life, even though it makes sense since they are just a different form of life.
I also found it really cool that the stars explode into shock waves and light, and when a stars gets to a certain maximum mass, it turns into a black hole.
The idea of black holes is also fascinating. If light goes into the black hole and it never comes out, where does it go? Where does anything that goes into a black hole go? Very interesting concept.
This article is very interesting. The deaths of larger stars, their core lives a long way is interesting. I always find some interesting things from your blog and really learned a lot and enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteHeng Shen
ASTR 152
Congratulations on taking their classes! Not many people can say that. It's funny how the death of stars can be so beautiful at the same time.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth Narayan
ASTR 152OL
Arjun Mudhar ASTR152OL
ReplyDeleteIt's quite amazing that you witnessed the death of a star, it must have been quite a sight to see. The life and death of a star is an interesting story because even when the star dies, it lives on in a sense.
Astr152 online yeseul Kim
ReplyDeleteI like how this article relate to our lecture now. And the interesting fact was the star could die. Very interesting!
I didn't realize that Stars change over time. I thought that each star had its own type of structure and was set to be this way upon its "birth". The comment about the teaspoon equaling the weight of the titanic was shocking. The way the stars work is amazing.
ReplyDelete-Katlin Moody
Professor,
ReplyDeleteI particularly liked this blog since it deals with the life of stars. I'm more interested in black holes. Will we have more specific blogs on this subject?
-Erick Fernandez
Not yet. I might write a blog on blackhole some times later.
DeleteErika Pina
ReplyDeleteAstr 152: Online
I always thought that stars would stay the same and never die. It's fascinating to know that even in outer space things die like living creatures on Earth. I found it interesting that a heavy star has a more violent death.
its crazy to think at relate humans to stars, we all live and die at some point or another. I didn't know that you experienced the death of a star, didn't even know that it was possible, but then again I never thought about stars dying. I'm very fascinated with stars but now i want to know more about black holes.
ReplyDeleteEvery time I look up its going to make me think more about whats life like out far from what our eyes can see.
Astr 152
Shaina Hernandez
Wow, the death of a star is such an interesting one. Especially to think of something that much bigger than the sun dying, and creating such an immense blast of light. Also, black holes are extremely interesting nd very hard to understand. I hope we can dive into black holes a little more before the end of the course.
ReplyDeleteRobert Levy
ATSR 152
I honestly did not know that stars died. Who would have thought. I have always looked at stars but never actually gave a though to a star's life. This class keeps getting more and more interesting. And talk about black holes! Amazing!
ReplyDeleteLearning how stars die is absolutely incredible. I for once never really wondered how a star died, in fact I did not know that stars have a certain lifespan until its over. Reading that stars collapse when their time is over blew my mind away. It is crazy how the stars become larger and cooler or smaller and hotter. The fact that the stars become so big that they look like planets is something I would like to experience myself one day.
ReplyDeleteSo far this has been one of my favorite chapters. I just think its just too cool how stars can become these various things when they die. It is very fascinating!
ReplyDeleteIt is fascinating that when a star dies the core becomes so dense that size of the star is significantly reduced. Its hard to imagine something as small as a teaspoon but weighs as much as a cruise ship. I was very surprised that the core of a star were around 1 or 2 times the size of the sun never dies. I’m not surprised it took so long for him to receive the Nobel Prize because the research to prove Chandrasekhar’s limit must be very extensive. It is awesome that you were able to take classes from Chandrasekhar! It is even more interesting that stars 3 to 5 times the size of the sun are squeezed small enough that a black hole can result!
ReplyDeleteFrancisco Facio
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
08 April 2016
This article was very interesting. One of the many things was the way which a star dies, but still is converted into something else. It makes me think of the afterlife in some sort of way. ALSO how, enormous stars (i.e. The Sun) can become miniscule as the size of the Earth. Once again thank you for having me learn a piece of new information from reading your posts.
For a long time I used to think that when a star dies then it just disappeared but now i know that in reality it can become a black hole or a nebula. A lot of very interesting photos that I have seen now that I think of it must have been of nebulas in space which also have distinct mixing of colors. It is also interesting that something that seems to be small can weight as much as a cruise ship.
ReplyDeleteYanin P. Ortega
ASTR 152 Online
Professor,
ReplyDeleteI was shocked when I read that teaspoon of material from a star could be as heavy as a cruise ship. I never knew that any object could be that dense.
Raymond Banting
ASTR 152
Jessica Ovsepian
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
This article was very interesting because I had no idea that stars, just like everything else die. It was also interesting to learn how the heavier stars have the most violent death. I was also unaware of the fact that even when a star dies, its core long lives. Black holes are also very fascinating. I was also shocked to learn that a stars material could weigh as much as a cruise ship. Overall, this was a very interesting article and I look forward to reading more!
I was in complete shock when I read that stars die. I have always thought that stars are just their in the sky forever. It is right how you start the blog with "All that is born must die".
ReplyDeleteIts mind blowing that stars have life spans and that they will eventually be gone. I always looked up at the sky and thought that the stars would be there forever.
ReplyDeleteFascinating!! I really enjoyed learning about the different types of things a star can become once it dies!!
ReplyDeleteI really loved the concept of black holes! I've always wanted to learn more about them ever since I was a kid. The idea that once a star dies and there are so many options for it to do is really fascinating. I did not know that some star's core could live on practically forever as a white dwarf. I think the death of stars is one of my favorite topics in astronomy.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
astro 152 (online)
ReplyDeleteI never realized how dense stars could actually become. I've learned a small amount on the life cycle of stars, but this blog helped to further my knowledge. Much like a few other people responding to this blog I am also interested in black holes and any other information about the "event horizon".
It is amazing that a star is born and has to die eventually. Also, it is interesting when light goes into a black hole it cannot escape.
ReplyDelete- Astr 152
Melissa Ramirez
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteI now understand how and why stars explode after they die thanks to this blogpost. It’s amazing that these topics have won a Nobel Prize and how the people investigating these things have to wait many years to see recognition for their discoveries. Taking classes from Chandrasekhar must have been interesting and I think its cool how you got to take his classes. I find it fascinating how basically everything on Earth that lives must die, but how this also may apply to many things up in the sky/universe.
-Yadira Morales-Chinchilla (ASTR 152)
Sarine Mirzakhanian (ASTR 152 online)
ReplyDeleteJust like everything else in the universe, stars are also destined to die. An Indian student, Subramanian Chandrasekhar figured that the energy in the core of a star is caused by converting hydrogen to helium, which makes the Stars' sphere bigger. After the cores exhaustion the star becomes very dense and small which gives it the white shiny look. should note that, the bigger the star is, it's death is more violent. The outer object, Supernova can shine up a whole galaxy due to the result. The core of the dead star is so dense that it comes to be in forms of electrons, therefore; the dense objects rotate fast with periods of few seconds and emit light in radio-waves, so eventually the star becomes a black hole, and at that stage even light can not escape it. So in the end, we understand that that whatever is born in this universe is destined to die, even something as gigantic as a star.
It is scary realize that everything that once lived, must die. To me, this subject is very interesting because then you just start to wonder what will really happen when our sun dies. I always wonder about the thousands of stars that are in our sky and how we only see a little shiny dot. The thing that I found the most interesting was that the bigger the star the more violent the death will be. I found this blog post really interesting because its something that many people do not know.
ReplyDelete- Yaqueline Carlos ( ASTR 152 online)
Wow you witnessed the death of a star? How amazing and beautiful that must have been. Last week we learned about the life span of a star and to find out that this week you have actually seen the death of a star is cool. This week kind of reminded me of the Lion King and the Circle of Life. I would be awesome if we as humans died and exploded in to waves and light. I also found it interesting to learn how black holes were formed. All of the Sifi movies that I’ve see where there is a black hole are even cooler because the hole that lost their ship was really a massive star. I would still like to know where they go or the light in real life goes. I wonder if it’s still there and it is just too dark of any of our technology to see or does it change into something else. Thanks for sharing your story.
ReplyDeleteHello Professor,
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting to know how we are parts of elements from the stars! When I was younger, I learned something that was very similar to this concept but I never really understood what or how that was possible for us to be part of the star's elements but after reading your article, it has given me a better understanding.
While I enjoyed reading this article I was also left immensely curious towards the end. Although I knew that the sun was a star prior to this class, I didn't know that all stars eventually died. Specifically, I thought it was interesting to learn that a stars death is marked by exploding into waves and light.
ReplyDeleteThe life and death of stars is so fascinating! I always wondered how many stars die each year? Is this something that is known? Planetary nebulae are so exciting. Eventually the sun will die off and then what will our Earth be like? Like you said in the lecture everything that is born must die.
ReplyDeleteelisha siem
ast 152
I really enjoyed learning how the energy is created from hydrogen converting into helium. I love how you have a personal connection in your blogs it makes it more enjoyable to read. The fact that a star doesn't just fizzle out but actually explodes was very fascinating
ReplyDeleteKatherine Garay
ReplyDeleteAST 152 online
It must have been an amazing experience to take classes with Chandrasekhar in a classroom! It is interesting how stars eventually must die. I've read that our north star Polaris is in a stage where is close to death. I'd like to see that happen!
It's very interesting knowing that stars get old and they die just like anything else. What amazes me is that as one star gets older they can get cooler and smaller, sometimes even bigger! Every time I finish a blog like this, I always gain more knowledge about the universe we live in.
ReplyDeleteWhen I pictured the death of star, I thought that once the energy was used up, that the star would just die out or that the energy would be used up like squeezing the last bit of juice from a fruit, that it would shrivel up but to think that some star expand and become cooler or that some become smaller and hotter. The death of a star sounds to me like it would be something beautiful to witness.
ReplyDeleteDiana Perez
ASTR 152
16223
I don't think I'm clear on the event horizon. I understand that when stars die, they eventually become a
ReplyDeleteblack hole, but is the event horizon a separate entity from the black hole, OR is the event horizon sort
of like the outter rim of the black hole itself? Or is a black hole and event horizon synonymous? So
things become trapped inside these black holes, but does matter cease to exist once inside? I wonder
if we will ever figure out all the mysteries of black holes during this lifetime?
-ASTR 152
Cameron Wolcott
The core shrinks to a small size exploding the outer envelope in shock waves. When the life time of a star ends the core becomes so dense that size of the star is significantly reduced which is crazy because it gets smaller and heavier which it still quite questionable to me.
ReplyDeletealison jimenez
DeleteAlexander Weiss
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
I really never thought about the our sun dying or that stars die. It is interesting to know that they do die but what was most interesting was how they end their existence. The fact that some become a white dwarf can be left to live forever or in some cases they collapse and become black holes was fascinating. A black hole is one of the most concerning elements in the universe to me because it is so unknown. Maybe someday we will be able to unlock that secret too. It must have been amazing for you to actually see some of the events you described. As usual it was a very informative lecture.
Adrian Ruvalcaba
ReplyDeleteAstronomy 152
Through this week reading I was able to find out more interesting ideas about stars. For example how a teaspoon of star can weigh as much as a cruise ship because of how dense it is. I still find it astonishing how huge a star can be even bigger than Earth even though we see it so small. Also it would be cool to see a planetary nebula one day, since one day it could disappear leaving the white dwarfs.
It was interesting to know that when a star is dying the core can become very dense. Also it was interesting that not all start die the same way, the size depends on what process the star goes through. Also it black holes were very cool, how anything that goes in the black hole can never be seen. This makes me wonder if in the future we will ever be able to explore black holes or study them further.
ReplyDeleteCindy A.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
This article really intrigued me! It is very fascinating to read that the cycle of life is also true with stars. I never imagined that stars died, never actually gave it much thought. It is unbelievable to read about a teaspoon of star material equaling to the weight of a cruise ship! It is amazing that you were able to take classes with a noble prize winner, I’m sure you will forever treasure and be grateful for everything Dr. Chandrasekhar taught you.
It was really interesting reading and learning about what happens at the end of a star’s life. I always used to wonder about stars, how their born, and what happens when you look up in the sky and you only see five stars then the following night you see twenty stars. The world is so interesting and it’s amazing that God allows us to see the most beautiful things such as stars. When I look up at the sky at night all that I think about is how blessed I am to live yet another day. Most people don't take advantage of the littlest things until its too late. I always look forward in reading about the history behind everything that I read and I found the fifth paragraph really intriguing. All and all, I enjoyed reading your blog and I hope that the next time you're able to add in a personal story.
ReplyDeleteI find it very exciting to know that stars can get old and die just like human beings. This is a very informative blog about stars and how energy is formed from hydrogen and transforms to helium. The fact that stars can explode makes my mind expand in knowledge. I can’t image a night without the stars and knowing that they can fade away and die makes me realize that we live in a world of chain reactions. The life of a star is wonderful and painful, because they die just as we do when we get older in life. This blog gives a good backstory on stars and how they are made and died.
ReplyDeleteNancy Moreno
ASTR 152OL
Yajaira Tiscareno ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteThe weekly blogs contain fascinating information that I was not aware of. The death of larger stars is incredible. The fact that the core shrinks to such a small size and then explodes the outer envelope in shock waves is amazing. The last couple of sentences of the blog wrapped everything up in such a way that left me wanting to read more.
I find it interesting that red giants appear redder due to cooler surface temperature, when you would think cooler temperature relates directly with cooler color. It's also amazing to picture a star being the same size as Earth! And that is a reduction in it's size. There is so much that we still have yet to uncover in this universe and galaxy that its overwhelming.
ReplyDeleteKelly McGiffney
ASTR 152
I like how I always want to keep reading more after each blog. The way stars die and survive is interesting. I myself thought they lived forever because how can it die off if nothing really happens to them? Especially because they explode into waves and form into light. I thought stars were just a light wave but it carries other elements to help it live. There is so much many of us do not know and this class is helping us expand on what is out there in the universe.
ReplyDelete-Jazzlin Hernandez
Astro 152
Hello professor my name is Maria Figueroa and I am part of your Astronomy 152 online class. After reading the blog I got impressed by learning that stars die too. Before, I just thought that stars were in the sky and wont move or disappear, but this blogs presents information that informs us on how stars die. Overall, this was an interesting blog and I am excited to keep learning more about it.
ReplyDeleteMaria Figueroa Astro 152 online class
I found it interesting that similar to things on Earth stars die. I found it most surprising that stars are dense before they die I thought that they would disperse into the universe not become more dense. I like how when stars die they give off light into the universe. It shows that even though they are dying they still leave a mark on the universe. I found it surprising that temperature can affect the color of things in the universe such as red giants that are red due to their surface temperature.
ReplyDeleteAllan Chan
ReplyDeleteAstr 152 Online
I like how we are provided examples of in terms of size these things are in space. For example, it's a crazy thought that a white dwarf is the size of Earth. I originally thought the cycle of a star was born through dust and other particles, lives a life burning, and dies out through explosion; however, there is a series of steps it takes, and even differs depending upon its mass. It's really nice to see the different processes occurring in space as well as the strong forces up there such as black holes.
Once again it is amazing knowing that stars are so vast and large. We see them from the sky on Earth and think they are so small. We are so far away thus we only perceive them as being small. Thanks again.
ReplyDeleteThe fact that everything that is born from stars to the universe to us humans must die is a heavy thing to know and also an amazing one. I enjoyed reading about how the stars "die" and the processes that they go through shrinking in size (from the size of the Sun to the size of the Earth). It's strange knowing we are "star stuff"! Seems like we are so different and there would be no one common thing but turns out there is. Star processes of birth and death are most mesmerizing ones. Also, it was interesting to know that star's death becomes more violent as its size increases. Thanks for this post!
ReplyDeleteFascinating to learn that one teaspoon of the material would be equivalent to the weight of a cruise ship! It must have been fascinating to have learn about this from a Nobel Prize winner. It is also interesting that even after the star dies, the core lives on.
ReplyDeleteSelena Dang ASTR 152
This is so interesting. We are talking about Stars and I thought that meant that all stars die the same as our human bodies all die or disappear into the earth the same way essentially.
ReplyDeleteThe fact that the size of the star will make its death different is new info to me and it chocked me.
The idea of a black hole is so abstract. I wish to know more about it.
Also the fact that some stars essentially live on as white dwarfs is new to me too.
Thanks for an informative blog!.
Other lectures have talked about births of stars and their lives, but this was a blog was really intriguing because I never have heard about how the process actually takes place. Very interesting lecture.
ReplyDeleteI think it is cool that you had the opportunity to work with Nobel Laureates, but as for myself, I would feel rather intimidated. Although I feel that much of this is over my head, now I understand that not every star becomes a black hole. It is hard to conceive of a teaspoon of material possessing that much weight!
ReplyDeleteKierra Stepteau ASTR 152 Fall
I really like how this blog started with, “All that is born must die.” This really stood out to me because even stars having the power they have also end. The way stars are made is very complex within it self like the pressures and temperatures that are help by these giants. Although they are powerful they still go through changes and they have a beginning just like humans. Yes, we can not really see them up close but we are learning more about them making them easier to understand. Since we have physics and chemistry it has really helped us to see what it takes to make a star and really understand the magnitude. With so much that we have discovered there is still so much we don’t know about our universe.
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting that even stars have lives and need to come to a close as well. The amount of time, energy, and temperature to create a star is very nice to know. One day the sun will have to die, but that won’t happen for very long time. I don’t know what I would do without the sun, but sure enough it is still outside for our beautiful views. One thing that I didn’t know when a star dies is that when it leaves it will leave a sound wave with bright lights.
ReplyDeleteAstro 152
Fall semester 2016
Edward Rodriguez
The title of the lecture is very enticing and gets me into wanting to read the blog. It seems very original,and I learned that when the outer layer of the star gets blown out, the core begins to deteriorate and becomes dense. Consequently, it will begin to collapse. I myself have witnessed a dying star from my backyard and found it fascinating as I made a wish. I found the making of a dwarf star to be interesting, in which somethign similar to the size of the sun gets reduced tot eh size of earth, and eventually becomes a dwarf star. Thank you for sharing through your personal lens, making the blog fun.
ReplyDeleteI found this article as a whole very interesting. Being that the sun itself is a star, I could not fathom the death of it. Life would be totally different if that. The death of stars is something that amazes me. Especially the outer core blowing out due to energy and pressure. Good article for one who is less informant on stars!
ReplyDeleteI was interested in the fact that the black holes are created when light can't get out, and they are the ones that are most fascinating objects found in space. When I was young kid, I used to think that the black holes are taking object and people in to another beautiful world once it sucks them. But the truth is unknown yet so I'm very excited for a time human being discovers. And I love the movie "Interstellar" and especially the scenes that Cooper gets sucked in to the black hole thing and encounters the 5 dimensional space!
ReplyDeleteIt is very interesting to see how stars go through their lives. Your story about being able to work with an astronomer that won a Nobel prize is amazing. As a Finance major that would be like working with Paul Samuelson the father of modern economics. These discoveries about the neutrons and how black holes form are also incredible and very interesting you simplify such a complex idea.
ReplyDeleteRaymundo Ruvalcaba
Ast 152
11/11/16
The life of a star is so fascinating. I was surprised to read that stars like our sun and the stars that are 3 to 4 times heavier do not completely die because their core last an eternity. The most interesting part about this blog is to read what occurs when an object reaches the speed of light. The object becomes shorter and heavier and time slows down. I find it also interesting how nothing can exceed the velocity of light. The universe is so amazing. No wonder my dad enjoys watching science programs that have scientist, Michio Kaku speaking about the wonders of our universe. I found it mind blowing to know that a dead star 3 to 5 times the mass of the sun turns into a black hole. I wonder if the planets die as well and what happens to them if they do die?
ReplyDeleteIxtla Montanez
ASTR 152 ONLINE Fall 2016
I've always wondered what the Black Hole is. So, learning that the star can eventually become a Black Hole was interesting. Especially if the light enters a sphere of a Black Hole and that it cannot escape. I wish to know more about this in the future.
ReplyDeleteChristina Tran
AST152 Online (Fall 2016)
Christa Griffiths
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 ONLINE
Professor,
This was a really interesting blog post; I especially enjoyed the part where you mentioned a star becoming as small as a teaspoon but as dense as a cruise ship. That is so hard to picture since there is nothing like that on all of Earth, making it all the more fascinating. I had no idea this is what happened when a star died; I didn't know there were variations in how violent the deaths could be, either. Thanks for this post, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
This was a fascinating lecture to read and learn about. I have always been aware that at some point in life even stars must die, however i was unaware of exactly how the process came about. I enjoyed learning about the stars core and converting from hydrogen to helium
ReplyDeleteOnce again, another great lecture blog post Professor Choudhary. The life of a star never seems to not fascinate me. When you mentioned, "They are so dense that the weight of a teaspoon of material from such objects would be equal to the weight of a cruise ship!!" -- That is incredible and insane to believe! Wow.
ReplyDeleteCelina Carpina
ASTR 152
Fall Online
Stars are working backwards?? That's news to me. Crazy to read this and finally understand how a star progresses and how we observe them. Thank you for the reading.
ReplyDeleteBrenton Filipi
ASTR 152
Hey Professor,
ReplyDeleteThis weeks lecture was very informational and had alot of little things that fascinated me. For one, the birth and death of stars, I never knew that stars even had a lifespan. I thought that the stars in our sky has always been the same. Other thing that fascinated me is the fact that even when you look at the sky with an ordinary telescope and observe what looks like "planets" to us, there is actually a lot more going on in the sky. For example, the planetary nebula, we think that it is just a stationary planet, however if you look closer, there is actually a lot more happening.
Nazaneen Iravani
ASTR 152
This article/post educated me more about the birth and death about our stars. I learned something new which was that stars work backwards and it is new. This information will be put into use when I look and observe stars, as well as when I learn more about them. The Black Hole has always been interesting to me and it was something familiar I read in this article. This post was very interesting.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Maggie Chong
Katie Rosa Astronomy (Online) 152
ReplyDeleteAstronomy is completely complexed, underestimated and very interesting. It was very educating to know more about the death of our stars and what they come to be. Although it is scary to of course to realize that everything that is alive of course come to an end. To see a planetary nebula would be very cool. Another weird opposite fact would be how opposite the death of a star would be. When you think of a dead star you think no light and no temperature just totally dead floating ball but insanely that is not true it can get cooler and larger or hot and smaller. Astronomy still amazes me.
All of your lectures have been very interesting, but for me this was the most interesting. The death of stars has to one of the most craziest events you g on in outer space. For such big masses of gasses to explode and transfer energy to a new formation is beyond my comprehension, especially because of how big and dense they are. The fact that we know so much about this process is surreal. Li!E how do we observe these transformations in the time that they actually happen? I sure hope that our sun and galaxy don't collapse on us li!E our surround stars do.
ReplyDeleteElias Orona
ASTR 152
It does make sense when the phrase says "The star is dead". Star is the living source and it is made up of neutrons and many other mass and charges which sums up to be the living one. However, it is very interesting to find out and realize how star put in to the death.
ReplyDeleteSungjoo Jeon
ASTR 152
Fall16
Kathy Aguilar Astr. 152
ReplyDeleteReally cool post about the birth and death about our stars, enjoyed learning how the energy is created from hydrogen converting into helium. Again a very interesting post professor!
I really enjoyed this weeks lecture because I'm very interested in learning more about the stars. It was very informational and eyeopening to truly accept the fact that all living things must come to an end.
ReplyDeleteCrystal Lozano
Astronomy 152 online
Very interesting blog post. Reading this made me picture a star exploding in slow motion and how beautiful it is. Since all stars die, it's kind of scary to think that the sun will die at any given time.
ReplyDeleteTien Ho
Astro 152
It's very interesting that stars have a lot of different colors which represent their temperature and different sizes.
ReplyDeleteI found this so interesting! The facts on the star is intriguing. Two things that caught my eye the most is about when we are somewhat composed of "star stuff"! It sounds as if we are technically stars! Also, the concept of the black hole and the damage it does it catastrophic. Stars die, but their core lives on, I never would've guessed!
ReplyDeleteRiley Conlan
ASTR 152
I found this lecture very interesting. I think that it is scary to know that every living thing eventually dies including us. Also, when i was smaller I thought that when the sun dies out it wouldn't be going through a lot of phases instead that it would just slowly stop illuminating. I think that it is pretty cool that a white darf is the size of earth I though that stars weren't even that large and I like how we are given examples of sizes which is the very interesting
ReplyDeleteI found this really interesting I did not know stars die to. they are a living thing like us which comes to an end
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing that a star can be so dense that the weight of a teaspoon of material are equal to the weight of a cruise ship. I also found the fact that the gas pressure in star is so much within it's core than they explode from within. I never knew how stars died, and I like reading the process. Thanks for the blog Professor.
ReplyDeleteSamantha Mejia
Fall 2016
Astronomy 152
This was very interesting. My favorite fact from this lecture was that a teaspoon of material is equal to the weight of a cruise ship. I can barely comprehend that. That seems so crazy to me.
ReplyDeleteRyan Schlup ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteInteresting to know that even Stars have a lifespan and die, nothing truly lives for ever. I found the witnessing and recording of the Crab Nebula by Chinese Astronomers very interesting considering how long ago it was. The processes of stars dying and the different ways they die depending on size and forms is very neat and informative.
I find the similarities in the relationships between humans and stars so beautiful. I always look forward to the metaphorical connections that you make in the lectures. For example, the statement "every thing that is born is certain to die. When and how is not precisely know, but we surely know the rough circumstances of all these events. So, the stars die but their cores long live," seems to mirror the concept of humanity and spirits living on. I think the relationship between the universe and Earth gives humanity purpose. We are all connected.
ReplyDeleteAshley Jackson
ASTR 152
Fall 2016
The way stars die is fascinating. They become smaller before they explode and the outcome of a dying star isn't an end but a beginning to a whole new thing. Its very metaphorical.
ReplyDeleteThis article was very interesting learning about the death of the star. The cool thing finding out about it that not only is the life and death cycle similar to us and stars, but we are made of the same elements of stars. I didn’t not know that the star becomes a black hole, which is crazy and interesting to find out about.
ReplyDeleteIm glad these topics are discussed because it informs more about when a star starts to die, they collapse. Then after they can reproduce white dwarfs or a neutron star. Also that large stars can collapse, and their gravity increases. As the gravity increases, everything gets heavy and nothing escapes the star's gravity. When light can't get out, black hole is created. I'm fascinated by Black holes and they are some of the strangest and most fascinating objects found in outer space.
ReplyDeleteCelinne Hernandez ASTR 152 ONLINE
This chapter was very captivating. I enjoyed and learned that when a star dies is the actual process of becoming something else. I'm very curious that black holes wont light out and what temperature can it reach.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 ONLINE
Rafael Molina
I thought the phenomenon of stars again is very captivating and interesting. The theory behind black holes is one that has always been interesting but misunderstood due to popular culture, media, and sci-fi movies. Studying about black holes in this chapter and in this lecture was thought provoking and eye-opening. I also found it interesting how you applied popular folklore or the ancient saying of "everything that is born must die." A great read, thank you!
ReplyDeleteIts so intriguing how the center of a star lives for so long. The way a star finishes its life is shocking. This blog as certainly helped me in comprehension the procedure of a star from the earliest starting point to the end.These web journals are pressed with so much data its extraordinary!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this lecture and it has taught me knew things just like all the other ones have.I liked the quote "All that is born must die" because it is true for all living things. I learned that a star expands toward the end of its life turning it into a red giant. Ive always thought that once a star dies its completely gone but ive learned that its core stays even longer. Im looking forward to reading the next lecture.
ReplyDeleteYessenia Gramajo
ReplyDeleteAstr 152/ Spring 2017
I’ve come to notice that stars are very similar to humans. Not only because we are made of the same elements as stars are but because of the saying “all living things must die”. We all have a lifespan and then we must die. However, once stars die, there core is still alive. It was very interesting to learn the process of how a star dies.
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteIt is fascinating to know that everything will eventually die, but the true fascination is that not everything has the same reaction. The horizon is something that is seen in child cartoons and shows but as a child we never thought it was true.
Astro 152 sp 17
OL
Yang Liu
ReplyDeleteAstr 152/ Spring 2017
This lecture lift up the mysterious veil of the stars in the sky, they also have several important phases in their long life. The convert from hydrogen to helium produced energy and constantly increased weight made them produced the outer eject which I'm surprised as we are made of that then even inform nebula. The information of how the white dwarf and black hole also amazed me for real. To be honest, these knowledge are really helpful for understanding the sky.
Good Afternoon Professor
ReplyDeleteEvery time I read one of your lectures I am truly amazed because I did not know that humans and stars are made out of the same elements. So when I found out that stars die, surprised me.
ASTR 152/SP 17
ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteIt is good to learn all of this about stars. I think without learning this it would be hard to believe that stars die. Before knowing, it is hard to imagine and picture the death of a star. I think it is cool that after they die, they become something else, then something else... like you said their cores long live.
Hi professor,
ReplyDeleteThis weeks lecture was interesting to learn how all things must come to an end, even the starts. It was also impactful to apply to our own lives because the Sun is a star and it will not be able to last forever.
Talya Joffe
ASTR 152
CSUN
Professor,
ReplyDeleteI found it interesting that even after a star dies, it still shines brightly in the sky. Energy is disbursed throughout space as the energy leaves the star. I also thought it was interesting how the insides of the star collapsed just as organs shut down once a person passes away.
-Alexis Alvarez
La Vonne Centeno
ReplyDeleteAstr 152/Spring '17
I believe that through this blog, I found some answers for my questions in the most previous blog. It was great to learn about the death of the stars. I have always heard about black holes but never knew what it meant. It is amazing that it is caused by stars.
I'm a bit confused and I wonder if a star can be created from a piece of "dead star" meaning the core of the star.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth Escareno
SP 17
Astro 152
Dominic Teran
ReplyDeleteASTRONOMY 152 ONLINE
The idea of wanting to learn so much about objects so far away from us is pretty fascinating. Especially during the 1930’s, a time where we have not even been able to leave the Earth itself and wouldn’t be able to for another 30 years. Even now, humans have only traveled to the Earth’s moon and back, only machines and such have been able to explore further. Being able to study object that as humans, we cannot even attempt to get close to at our current age, is incredible and almost unbelievable at how much we can learn about these objects; from their age to if they’re even still going.
It was a really interesting fact that the core of the star starts collapsing after the exhaustion of hydrogen to burn and become a dense. Also I didn't know that the energy produced at the center by converting hydrogen to helium which exert pressure on the matter. This was a very interesting and formative article.
ReplyDeleteSoraya Gomez
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
The stars either become black holes or white dwarfs. I didn't know how black holes came to be and i didn't even know what a White dwarfs was. If the stars mass exceeds the mass of the sun it determines if the star becomes a black hole. Its interesting that even after the star dies they just turn into something else.
hello!
DeleteI had no idea either of what a white dwarft was or how a black hole was created!
really interesting to learn about it. And i also like the way Soraya put it in very simple words!
this shows how you blogs help us understand such complex definition in such an easy way
Carlos Murillo
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 Spring 2017
With the collapse of stars in the universe, it is interesting to think that there are stars so dense and heavy that they collapse into black holes, which have the ability to suck in even light. It is frightening to think how little we know what occurs after something is taken into the black hole, but it's still amazing.
Its really interesting that the heavier stars have a more violent death. Its crazy how the universe works and how the stars that are so heavy crumple into a black hole. Its amazing how black holes are made, I always wondered and questioned how they were born. Eventhough the star is dead their core still lives.
ReplyDeleteYekaterina Melnik, Astronomy 152 Online, Spring Semester 2017
ReplyDeletePrior to taking this course, I had known that all stars had a period of life and death, I think I may have learned about this briefly when I was young, but taking this course has taught me so much more about what happens to stars after they die or how they are created in the first place, I knew of the existence of black holes, but I did not know how they came about to exist and I find it fascinating that everything in the universe is so interconnected. Everything in the universe depends on something for its existence, much like how nature works on our planet, everything in a sense is in “balance”, if something dies it will bring forth a form of life in its place. Black holes are also fascinating as many believe that they could contain so many secrets about the universe and about life, as we do not know what happens inside of them and where they can take us. I found it interesting to learn that they can drag in light, but I figured they probably do as they basically drag everything into them, which makes one wonder if they will ever drag the whole universe into them.
Kevin Whitmarsh
ReplyDeleteASRT 152 OL
Spring 2017
I've always been amazed by the incredible sizes that a star begins with and can grow to be. Knowing the size of the sun compared to Earth, I never thought it possible to find anything much larger. After learning about red giants and the size relativity compared to the sun, I was even more shocked. The immense size of red giants is almost incomprehensible. Also, thinking of the infinite power that a black hole has makes you question the existence of life on Earth, and how there was still a possibility of any kind of life after The Big Bang.
Zoe Pitko
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
The titles of these blogposts are always so creative! To be honest I just thought that when stars die they just kind of disappear, boy was I wrong. It makes sense that the bigger the star was, the more violent the death is. The way you explained that process is very fascinating and I better it was an excellent experience to witness!
Eleonor Navarro ASTR 152-16522-Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteProfessor,
I had never thought about the death of stars this way, but I initially thought stars would die and disperse out of nowhere. It's interesting how as a star is dying, the temperature and size changes. Knowing that heavier and larger stars have more violent deaths, I wonder how the death of the Sun will happen. Thankfully, I won't be here to experience the death of the Sun because that will be millions and millions of years away. It's fascinating how stars are dying and are reborn everyday.
Reading about how heavier stars take longer to die and have more brutal deaths than other stars was new to learn, because I would have thought the opposite! Learning that near the end of a stars life, more hydrogen gets burnt to produce more energy is so mind blowing! Reading these lecture blogs makes me realize the complexity of Astronomy!
ReplyDelete-Ren
Astronomy 152 online
I never really thought about how or what happened to dead stars. I found it interesting that a star like the size of sun can be reduced to an object of the size of earth and become white dwarf stars. Also since they are so dense that the weight of a teaspoon of material from such objects would be equal to the weight of a cruise ship, that blew my mind!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing to learn that there are stars hundreds of thousands of times larger than our sun. Frightening even, because it shows how massive the universe is. I've always been sort of captivated by black holes, wondering what would happen were I to fall in. Of course I'd die before I could ever find out, but it still intrigues me. I also found it interesting how stars can go through many different states of life, just like humans.
ReplyDeleteJessica Levin Samarscova
ASTR 152 Spring 2017
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your blog post and found that when stars die really interesting. For the reason that I never that was possible for stars to die just like everything else.
Megan Perez
ASTR 152 Spring 2017
Hi Professor,
ReplyDeleteit is interesting to read about how huge stars are and that they are bigger than the sun! They seem so small from down here but it is mind boggling how big they actually are.. Thank you for this lecture
Natalie Bedrosian
Astr 152
Bertini Nguyen
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
It's interesting to learn about how the stars actually live in their own. When time passes on, the stars will eventually die. It makes sense that the larger and hotter the star's death then that means the more violent the destruction when it comes for the star's destruction.
Ever since I was young just knowing black holes existed used to terrify me. The fact that we could be sucked in and existence would seize to exist and time wouldn't matter. Honestly ive never really kept in mind the fact that all the stars are not constant and do have a shelf life. Seems I should become more aware of the world above us.
ReplyDeleteLauren Chachula
ASTR 152-#16522
Spring 2017
This blog post definitely informed me more about the birth and death of stars. I also would have never known that the stars are bigger than the sun. Reading the process of the stars was very insightful. I never knew that the core of the star is still alive even though the whole is dead. Thank you for this blog post!
ReplyDeleteAngella Dijamco
ASTR 152 ( Online )
Spring 2017
Cristian Gil 152 Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteThe death of a star sounds unbelievably destructive. I googled mages of the M82 galaxy and crab nebula and it's really hard to grasp the size of these galaxys and the size of the explosions. It's truly a wonder.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePatricia Olivera Astronomy 152 Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteI think stars are very interesting and very mysterious. It is crazy how people have researched stars in depth for many years and yet there are things we still need to learn. I am not aware of dead stars I would only hear about the word dead star but in this blog I learned a lot.
I really enjoyed this blog post for the simple fact that it reiterated that anything born must die. I also found it interesting that we considered stars to be dead although their core lives on within the universe. Black holes are also very interesting, but for some reason worry me, perhaps because a lot of things about them are unknown.
ReplyDeleteThe death of a star is quite tragic, just like with Hollywood. Being able to see the various components of the star collapsing must be a fascinating site to see. The story about Dr. S. Chandrasekhar, professor of physics in University of Chicago not winning the Noble Prize until 50 years later is heartbreaking. I understand that there was no way of proving his theory for so long but to go through life for so long working on something you believe in without recognition must have felt exhausting. It’s surprising that he was respected by so many and it took so long for them to award him the recognition that he deserved. I am amazed at his perseverance and work ethic.
ReplyDeleteMahrum Arya Zahiri
Astr152 Spring 2017
100859250
I find the life cycle of a star to be very interesting. I also found it interesting to know that once a star dies its core can expand and grow into a red giant. As all living matter on Earth, a star eventually dies as it explodes into a state of dust and gas clouds. There our billions of stars in our galaxy and many cultures have folklores detailing the idea of the deceased turning into a star and forever becoming immortal in our universe. This idea gives a new perspective on life and our solar system but is nothing more than a speculation, as far as we know everything that lives must eventually come to its end.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know that you experienced the death of a star, didn't even know that it was possible. We all live and die at some point or another, even a star. I did not know that some star's core could live on practically forever as a white dwarf. Through each blog, I learn something new, and it makes me appreciate our sky more than I did before.
ReplyDeleteI think the process of a star is breathtaking, I think it would be such an incredible sight to view how a nebula can result into a white dwarf, neutron, or black hole. Stars are too intriguing, how can one not be astonished by the fact that high energy due to more hydrogen being burned causing the outer cover to explode leaving the inner part to vanish. It is interesting that we speak of the death of stars to become these things, but what happens after that? What really is a black hole and how does that come to the end of its lifespan? Nothing lasts forever, right?
ReplyDeleteCristina Zakaryan
Astr 152 OL Spring 2017
It’s easy to believe that everything has an expiration date. Like most expiration dates, they are just strong suggestions of when to not continue to use anything. I like to believe that expiration dates apply to everything but there is so much more than just that. I like to believe that when things die, their core will too live forever. Like their lasting impression or message will forever be a constant in this world. That when things die, it won’t be just for nothing.
ReplyDeleteAbigail Garcia
Astr152 Spring 2017
Sebastian Artola
ReplyDeleteASTR OL
Despite the fact that this blog entry was a little more grim, as it dealt with death, it was still a ton of fun to read; and once again, gave me a little more insight as to what actually happens to stars. Subramanian Chandrasekhar's discovery of the Chandrasekhar limit is extraordinary and important. It was also pretty cool that you were able to take classes with him while studying for your PhD. I also had no idea that eventually, a star will turn into a black hole. Than again, professor, it is like you said: everything that is born is meant to die eventually at some point. It is an unfortunate but important part of life.
ASTRO 152
ReplyDeleteSo much new and exciting information on the stars life. Now we got to read on the death and process of the star. The hotter and brighter and bigger it is the closer it was to its death. Shocking how the star dies so violently when in our eyes we see nothing. It's really cool to get your knowledge on the stars b/c clearly you are so fascinated and driven by this topic.
After reading the last blogpost, I was excited to read more about a star's death. It definitely did not disappoint learning about the process. It really makes me think about how similar we are too stars. I look up in the sky and think they we have no similarities but really there are plenty; stars die too. I've also taken an appreciation on how important hydrogen is to the universe. I think this is an important blogpost that most people should know about, when looking at the sky.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 SP17
I always like relating topics about stars to earthly objects to give myself a better idea of the size. I like how you related them to the weight of a cruise ship it puts things in perspective.
ReplyDeleteI remember when I was little I used to think that the stars glowing were like glow sticks. I thought that they would only last a few hours and that then they would die. Now that I'm older I realized that stars glow for hundreds and hundreds of years, which is incredible.
ReplyDeleteP.S I posted this comment on the blog "The Living Star" by accident as well.
Emery Hernandez
ASTR 152 Online
Spring 2017
ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteWith evvery blog i seem to come closer to the understanding of our universe and everything in it. I know every thing that lives must die and the same thing goes for our universe. I never knew what it meant when a star died, as a child I always thought stars lived forever and that every night we would see the exact same stars in the exact same location.
really interesting to know about the birth and the death of stars.
ReplyDeleteMd Alam
astr152 Online
spring 2017
Very great point describing the reality of life and death, especially to objects such as stars. In the future, it would be great achievement for humans to be able to observe a detailed occurrence of a star death or supernova blast.
ReplyDelete-Anthony Martires (ASTRO 152)
I would of never thought that stars get older like human beings. To learn about how the stars core live after they die is pretty cool. I love how these blogs make me more interested in Astronomy.
ReplyDeleteThe fact that we are made up of the same element that make up the stars has always felt so poetic and symbolic to me. It truly makes me feel that we are connected to our surroundings more than we think. I like the ending of this blog posts where you said that what was once born, must die, but that the core of the stars live on. It reminds me of human death where even though we perish with our physical body, I feel that a remnant of us persists.
ReplyDeleteI like the way you began this blog; it makes it seem like it is a story being told. When I was younger I used to believe that stars were eternal. Thank you for explaining the way in which a star dies; it is crazy to think that stars that were once the size of the sun, turn into white dwarfs. I was amazed at the fact that a star can shrink so much that it equals the size of the San Fernando valley ! It is so cool that you got to work with Dr. Anthony Hewish. Thanks for sharing your stories.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth Luna
Astr 152
Summer 2017
Again, I never thought about the death of stars and what happens to them after. The life and death process of a star is so fascinating and something I had never learned about before, especially the fact that it still lives in some way.
ReplyDeleteAmber Daoud
ASTR 152 Summer Online 2017
Very interesting blog! It's crazy how anything that is born is meant to die, even the stars up in the sky. It's also very cool how we're like stars. I never thought there was more to stars than it just being a bright and shiny light. I enjoy reading these blogs because I learn more and more about the stars which I think is very important because they are in our galaxy which is technically our home.
ReplyDeleteNazenie Parsamyan
ASTR 152 (Online) Summer 2017
it is mind blowing professor how stars are born and how they die the life spam they have and i really enjoy how you put everything together telling us how things that we never thought of are created
ReplyDeleteAbdulaziz Almurad
aster 152 summer 2017
Stars are very similar to people. As you said everything that lives must die, however, both people and stars leave something behind. We, people, leave behind memories, life lessons, children, etc. Stars leave behind their core-- I'd like to think the core could be a metaphor for the stars essence. It's leaving behind the most powerful and important part of itself. I don't know, I may be thinking more like a philosopher rather than an astronomer. I just think it is wonderful that we are connected to these "out-of-this-world" objects both literally and figuratively.
ReplyDeleteRayleen Silva
ASTR152-- Summer 2017
This was such a beautiful blog post I found it so cool. The overall message was very powerful and deep. Space is such a broad thing to understand but the way you worded everything really made it sound so wonderful. Thank you for this post!
ReplyDeleteMelissa Dreiling
ASTR 152 Summer
This blog post was very cool and interesting. I did not know that stars were such a big part of space/galaxies. Before reading this post, I only knew that stars (constellations) could tell stories and help lead the way somehow... I enjoyed reading this blog post due to the powerful message.
ReplyDeleteSarah Choi
ASTR 152 Summer
This blog was very interesting, professor! Thank you for your time to write and post it. I found it so amazing that you were able to take classes with Subramanian Chandrasekhar after his Nobel Prize reception! His discovery in the property of matter and development of the Chandrasekhar Limit is extraordinary.
ReplyDeleteI also find it fascinating that all of these discoveries and theories you mentioned were developed in the early 1900s. To think that with technology now and NASA, we are able to study and learn so much more about the life and deaths of these stars.
Andrea Cuba
ASTR 152
Online SUMMER 2017
I was shocked by these! Thanks for your posting professor
ReplyDeleteZezhou Xu
astr152 online
The comparisons you use help me to more fully understand the concepts. I was surprised to learn that a teaspoon of a white dwarf star would weigh as much as a cruise ship. I never previously though about the density of a star like that. This was an interesting post.
ReplyDeleteKathryn Munster
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
What truly amazes me is how stars can become black holes, that is something I never knew! Another thing that is interesting is that because stars are living, of course they would die! Also Professor, I think it is amazing that you were able to get some classes from Chandrasekhar!!
ReplyDeleteElia Narvaez
ASTR 152 (Online) Summer 2017
I think supernovas and black holes are the most fascinating parts of astronomy to me. One of the biggest scientific questions I have is what happens inside a black hole. Does matter just get crushed into oblivion? Does it pass through the black hole and get spit out on the other side into another universe? The world will probably never know.
ReplyDeleteThis blog is interesting. I never knew how stars are heavier that our sun. Then when the star get older it die and explode. This show how our universe there's many things that we don't know about since it's massive.
ReplyDeleteJasmine Ulloa
ASTR 152(Online) Summer 2017
I've always been afraid of black holes. The first time I learned about them, I was very little. Nothing can escape, that is a scary concept. It is amazing that you took a class from someone who won a Noble Prize! It is always exciting to learn more about what happens to stars when they die. Especially because we know what happens when they die, unlike when humans die.
ReplyDeleteShayla Mayers
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
Learning about the life cycle of a star makes me think about how the nature of the universe is life and death. Just like humans, stars go through phases that change their appearance and their inner workings. Before taking this course, I always thought that oxygen was the most important element to life. Now, I realize that hydrogen cannot be discounted as a lesser important element. The exhaustion of hydrogen leads to the eventual death of the star. Moreover, the star that is approaching its death will become more dense and become cooler due to the increased outflow of hydrogen. In the case of rebirth, it is very interesting to learn how different stars transition to a variety of celestial events depending on their relative size to the Sun.
ReplyDeleteJulius Loredo
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
Stars are in a way, like us humans. As you said a star dies, but it's core lives on. It is like us, as many say when we die, our spirit lives on. I think it is interesting to see that stars are categorized differently as the come closer to their death, such as being a white dwarf. I thought that stars would perhaps get less dense and dissipate, but it turns out they get more dense. I enjoy these blog posts as they give me clarity to things that I always would think about when I would look at the sky.
ReplyDeleteYasaman Khani
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Very insightful blog professor. It is fascinating to study the death of the stars and how there is different types based on the size of the star. I do believe that everything that is born shall die one day. It would be interesting to know when our star, the Sun, will die. Hopefully not soon!
This blog is interesting and the black hole is mysterious. i just know the black holes were created by stars. I always think black hole is terrible from movies like black hole would devour everything.
ReplyDeleteYiting Wu
Astr 152 Online
Summer 2017
I did not know that larger stars had a more violent death. I could only imagine what would happen if all these events took place so close to our atmosphere.
ReplyDeleteThank you,
Daniel Kwon
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
Aishabibi Zhursinbek
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Summer2017
It is very sad to realize that even star die. Everything is living things. It was interesting to learn that even death of the starts can differ and it depends on the mass of the star. I am impressed!
I had no idea that whether the size of a star, the size of the death determines. It was interesting to read about how stars die and how the black hole forms, even though it sounds terrifying.
ReplyDeleteSarah Choi
ASTR 152 Summer Online 2017