Man Finds Galaxies
Debi Prasad Choudhary
11/2/2014
In pursuit of knowledge, I reached a stage where none of my
childhood experience related. The creation is vast beyond what we can see with
our naked eye and comprehend with a single mind. The only thing relevant from
my early learning that made sense is that my father’s teaching, “the creation
is beyond our imagination, it contains smaller than the smallest and bigger
than the biggest”, adopted from Hindu scripture Bhagabat Gita.
In first two decades of twentieth century, long exposure
photographs of the sky with larger telescopes showed nebulous, fuzzy objects
apart from stars. Some of them were spiral, some elliptical and some irregular
shape. When such images of galaxies were put together, it seemed that there is
a systematic transition from one shape to the other. The classification could
be made from galaxies with tighter spiral arms, more dust and gas to the ones that
had loose elliptical shape with less dust and gas. Most galaxies are found in
groups bound by gravitational attraction. The spiral galaxies are loosely bound
with members of few dozens. The elliptical galaxy groups contain hundreds and
thousands of galaxies making huge groups. As the galaxies move around they
collide and the interaction distorts their shape.
In the beginning, it was not clear if these nebulous objects
resided inside the Milky Way or out side.
There was a great debate on April 26, 1920 between two famous
astronomers Shapley and Curtis, who took opposite side and declared victory!!
The key to answer this question is to measure distance to these objects. Several
methods have been devised to determine the distance to the galaxies; they are
based on the fact that when a candle is located at twice the distance it
appears four times fainter. It is called “inverse square law”. There are many
objects in the sky for which we know their brightness precisely. For example,
the stars that are illuminated due to nuclear fusion at their center (called
main-sequence stars), the supernova of white dwarf stars and Cepheid variable
stars. Two astronomers, Tully and Fisher found that the brighter galaxies
rotate faster. So, if we can identify a star of a particular type in a galaxy
or determine the rotation speed of a galaxy, we can measure its brightness. The
distances to these galaxies are measured by comparing its measured brightness
with the expected brightness.
The distances to the galaxies are so large that light takes
several million, in many case billions of years to reach us. There is no way to
know what is happening to these galaxies now. Further away the galaxy is, we
see what it was in the deep past. So, actually we see the history of the
universe by studying the galaxies of the past. We now know that the spiral
galaxies are made only in past 5 billion years, before which there were mostly
irregular shaped galaxies. In the past, galaxies were colliding and merging
into each other frequently, and producing much more stars in bursts.
Measuring the distance to the galaxies and the speed at
which they move relative to us, Edwin Hubble made a fantastic discovery in
1929. He found that all the galaxies, except four are moving away from us. The
galaxies that are located at greater distance move faster away from us. The
four galaxies that are coming towards us are in a local group that moves
randomly. He measured the recession
velocity of the galaxies by determining the difference of wavelength of
spectral lines emitted by an atom in the galaxy and a similar atom on earth. This
is known as Hubble’s law that describes the expansion of the universe. The universe,
in which we are living, is expanding, all galaxies are moving away from each
other!!!!
This is fantastic. Because, this means there was beginning
when all were together. When was that? How close were they? How did it happen
and why? These are profound questions. All that we know now is that all these
happened at least about 13.6 billion years ago if the universe is always
expanding at the present rate.
Dear DR. Choudhary,
ReplyDeleteI found it interesting that you explained the candle example from the previous blog to start introducing the " "inverse law".
It is also intriguing yet confusing that we have to measure the stars based off their speed transitioning to their brightness. Here on earth, not many things need the speed and brightness to determine it's distance. This just exploits the truth of outer space. It is an ever ending learning experience. Thanks for the great blog professor.
Sincerely,
Richard Burson
Your opening comment is what makes the universe so scary, there are smaller things than the smallest and larger things than the largest! I feel this is what is most difficult about the universe to understand, how it all fits together. It is very interesting that we are studying the galaxies of the past and through out lifetimes we wont see our present galaxies?
ReplyDelete-Katlin Moody
Learning amazing things about the universe always starts with some type of curiosity. After actually seeing the simulation of the galaxies merging together in the video clip, it is so fascinating and beautiful to look at. The "inverse square law" makes sense because the further away the light is, it will look smaller. All the questions that you mentioned about the past and how everything stared still linger in my mind but it is interesting that it all happened 13.6 billion years ago!
ReplyDeleteYanin Peaches Ortega
ASTR 152 Online
Again I struggle to grasp the concept of just how large the galaxy is. I find it fascinating and kind of frightening at the same time of we cannot now what is currently happening in these distance galaxies. They are so far away that their light can take billions of years to reach Earth! It seems that the universe started with a big bang and may end with the big crunch theory!
ReplyDelete-Erick Fernandez
I always found it amazing that we are seeing something that has already happened and that star have exploded but we haven't even seen it yet. I think it is incredible how large our galaxy truly is for something to reach us a billion years later. its so hard to grasp that we are just so very small in our universe
ReplyDeleteI love the quote from your fathers teaching, “it contains smaller than the smallest and bigger than the biggest.” It really puts the universe into perspective. It is interesting that brighter galaxies rotate faster the brighter they are. I would really love to get a telescope and find a good spot to observe some galaxies! It is really mind boggling to think that the galaxies we see are so far away that we are currently seeing the galaxy’s past. For all we know, the galaxies could be completely different now! It is strange that of all the galaxies around us are moving away except four of them. The universe is expanding and could potentially be infinite! It is crazy to think that the whole universe at one point was all together! The universe in incredible!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that the galaxies' shapes become distorted when one collides with the other. How is it possible that they lose their shape when one collides with the other? I would imagine that nothing would occur to their natural shape if one comes across the other but I was wrong. Its crazy how you can measure the brightness of a galaxy by either identifying a star in that galaxy or by determining the rotation speed.
ReplyDeleteHow fascinating is that? Galaxies change over time. I also find it fascinating how much there is to know of the galaxies. I am very thankful to those who took their time to study these subjects and collected answers for us to learn. I believe the future will unveil more answers. It is vital for all humans to know whats up in space.
ReplyDeleteThis was another fascinating reading. I'm starting to grasp the concept of the inverse square law. Basically, the further away light seems to be, it will look even smaller. Also understanding that galaxies change over time was something. Their shapes continue to distort and develop.
ReplyDeleteCaitlen Diab ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteYou worded it perfectly!
"The creation is vast beyond what we can see with our naked eye and comprehend with a single mind."
Due to the distance, it is impossible for us to really know how much there is out there for us to see. It's amazing that we can actually study the history of the universe rather than the future. That instead of seeing the future, the only thing presented to us is the past.
Like Erick said, it is very hard to grasp the concept of the size of galaxies. It's difficult to fully understand how they work because it's not something that occurs to us on a daily basis, it's a strange case that requires a lot of knowledge and understanding.
This just makes it that much more interesting to learn about!
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteI always find it interesting when people who have opposing views have a debate about something because I like seeing them justify and convince others to see their way just like Shapely and Curtis did. It's incredible how we can find the rotation speed of a galaxy by measuring its brightness. Spiral galaxies have been around for 5 billion years and yet they are so far away we can't know as much as we'd like to. I wonder why the galaxies are moving away from each other. If they were all together once why aren't they anymore? It's hard to believe that galaxies have been around for such a long time because it's creation is unclear to us.
-Yadira Morales-Chinchilla (ASTR 152)
This was another interesting article that I learned a lot of new information from. I did not know galaxies change their shape when they collide. I also did not know how big the galaxies were and how long it takes light to reach us. Another great article, thank you.
ReplyDeleteAram Teroganesyan
hi Professor,
ReplyDeleteThis is a very interesting blog, i didn't know that galaxies lose there shape when they get collide. i find it interesting how there is much to know about galaxies and how much someone can learn from them.
Jocelyn Medrano
Astro152
Erika Pina
ReplyDeleteAstr. 152
It is amazing that people are able to study the universe by looking at galaxies of the past. It fascinating to know that in the past many stars were created because of colluding galaxies. Also that Edwin Hubble discovered that only four galaxies are moving closer to us and the rest are moving away. Each article teaches me fascinating facts about the universe.
Jessica Ovsepian
ReplyDeleteASTR152
This article was very interesting because I learned a lot of new information such as the fact that most galaxies are found in groups and are bounded by gravitational attraction. Also, that elliptical galaxy groups contain hundreds and thousands of galaxies making huge groups. I was also unaware that as the galaxies move around they collide and the interaction distorts their shape. I also learned about the "inverse square law", that I had not known about before. What was particularly interesting is that the distances to the galaxies are so large that light takes several million, in many cases billion of years to reach us. There is so many unanswered questions so it is fascinating to see how far we will come in understanding the universe and galaxies in the years ahead.
I found this blog post a bit confuesing took me a while to understand what was going on Then I re-read it so I think I have an idea so. So galaxies are found in groups and move around as they collide to distorts theirs shapes? I did understand how many stars are created by the colliding of galaxies which is what I found the most interesting.
ReplyDelete-Jazzlin Hernandez
Astro 151
Francisco Facio
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
22 April 2016
According to Hubble's Law that describes the expansion of the universe. We have said that at one point all galaxies (we) were together. I find that quite interesting, imagine that? Then there must be some other form of extraterrestial beings. Also one thing I found quite interesting was how in the article it mentions that the brighter galaxies rotate faster.
Astr 152 online-yeseul kim
ReplyDeleteI gain my knowledge from your blog every week. I learned the concept of inverse law today. And I am happy with learning the galaxy this week :)
Astr 152 online-yeseul kim
ReplyDeleteI gain my knowledge from your blog every week. I learned the concept of inverse law today. And I am happy with learning the galaxy this week :)
Astr 152
ReplyDeleteMelissa Ramirez
It is interesting that galaxies are found in groups and are bounded with gravitational attraction. Then, galaxies lose their shape when they collide with other galaxies is amazing.
Cindy Aguirre
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Interesting to read that brighter galaxies rotate faster and by that we can measure its brightness. Also, it’s so strange that all but four galaxies are moving away from us. Scary to think that all this happened 13.6 billion years ago! So many unanswered questions, yet technology will continue to evolve and slowly we will learn more!
The idea that galaxies change shape as they collide is hard for me to visualize. I never knew that we can measure the brightness of a galaxy by the speed of its rotation. I cannot wait to find out more about our galaxy as we discover more about the universe.
ReplyDeleteLiving on Earth as a human you tend to forget that the universe goes out further than you could imagine and its amazing how I tend to forget how large this universe is. It is unfathomable to think of things such as “The distances to the galaxies are so large that light takes several million, in many case billions of years to reach us”. When I read that in your post I had to sit there and think about how remarkable that really is. It is amazing the small percentage of galaxy that we have trailed and there is so much more to be explored that we probably will never see. And to think that the universe has been expanding for 13.6 billion years makes you feel like it never is going to stop.
ReplyDeleteI like how galaxies are changing and collide. I found it interesting that we can measure the brightness of galaxies by the speed of their rotation, and the distance is so extreme that it can take up to billions of years for us to see it. Galaxies that move at a greater distance are actually faster. Hubble discovered that all of the galaxies except 4 are moving away from us and the 4 moving toward us move randomly. That's interesting to me that each galaxy can go its separate way.
ReplyDeleteYajaira Tiscareno ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteLike always it was a pleasure reading this week’s blog. All the information provided in the blog amazed me. Just to think that in 1929 Edwin Hubble discovered that all the galaxies except four are moving away from us is incredible. It made me think of the other past discoveries and what future discoveries are yet to be presented.
Great post. Reading about how the galaxies were all together in the beginning and then moved away from each other over time reminds me of pangea. Also, it's exciting that we can learn about the galaxy's past even now. It's true that we learn the most when examining characteristics and traits from previous times..
ReplyDeleteLuciana Moreno
AST 152
Every time I look into the sky I think about how we are looking into the past. Thinking about how there is no way to know what is happening in our galaxies at the moment is startling. I also never knew that galaxies collided with one another and caused them to change shape.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Raymond Banting
This was another fascinating article. Throughout the semester, you wrote about various childhood stories to explain what was occurring in the sky. In particular, I liked what you said about the universe being a lot larger than it was. I personally have trouble grasping how vast the universe is and all the things that come from it.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
This blog was really eye opening. The part where you mentioned the distance of the galaxies was incredible! Who knew that they were so large that it takes several/billion years to reach us. Edwin Hubble discovered something so amazing about the galaxies distance he used the recession velocity to measure it. It’s great to know that because of his discovery there is now his own law, which describes the universe expansion.
ReplyDeleteonline astro 152
ReplyDeleteThis makes me wonder how the universe could be in a cycle like everything else. If the universe is expanding and has been doing so for billions of years how is it that we come full circle back to the point where everything was together? What does it really mean everything will just keep spreading out infinitely?
Astronomy 152
ReplyDeleteThis blog was especially interesting, I never knew that galaxies collided into each other and because of this they distorted. The video was very helpful as well because it provided more visual. It was also crazy to know that when we look up into the sky we aren't looking at space as to how it currently is but as it used to be.
It is very interesting that by the speed of their rotation we can measure the brightness of galaxies. It is crazy how the galaxy works, like how it takes a billions of years for us to see it. Our universe has been expanding for about 13.6 billion years it makes me think when it will stop expanding if it ever will. It is also very interesting how the galaxies were assumed to have started all together and are moving in different ways.
ReplyDeleteDIANA PEREZ
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
ONLINE
If the universe is ever expanding then how can we know everything about it when it just keeps getting bigger and bigger and further and further. We are studying galaxies that are so far away, we are technically studying the past. It blows my mind to think that what astronomers and physicists are studying may not even exist anymore.
Hopefully in the future all these questions would be answered. Once again very insightful!
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
Elizabeth Narayan
Quite surprised when reading that stars take several years to be reached, "the distances to these galaxies are measured by comparing its measured brightness with the expected brightness". that is the way they measure some stars but as you mentioned in the begging of the lecture "creation is above our imagination".
ReplyDeleteInsightful and interesting blog post. In the blog post directly before this one, my comment was in regards to the light we see being from the far distant past. This blog has greatly expanded on that concept.
ReplyDelete-Astr 152
Cameron Wolcott
Adrian Ruvalcaba
ReplyDeleteAstronomy 152
It is awesome to read that we are basically studying the past since the galaxy keeps getting getting bigger and bigger. Also the fact that galaxies gain there shape by colliding with one another.
Katherine Garay
ReplyDeleteAST 152 Online
It's amazing how us humans are able to make theories and predictions with research. Like you said, If the galaxies of the universe are separating from each other as years go by, then it means that the galaxies were once very close from each other. This was a fascinating blog to read!
Sarine Mirzakhanian
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 Online
This was an fantastic blog to read. In the beginning of the twentieth century, pictures taken from skies showed us that galaxies have different shapes, and studying them made us understand that galaxies with lighter and smaller arms have more dust and gas comparing to those which has loose elliptical shapes.It is amazing to think how things change, and we see the history of the universe by studying the galaxies of the past.
Thank you.
It blows my mind to think that we will never really know what is happening to our galaxy at the present time. Since when we study the galaxy we learn about the past/history. What we do know is that our galaxy is getting bigger and bigger. Hubble's discovery about measuring the recession velocity of the galaxies allowed us to know what galaxies are close or far and if they are coming toward us or away. This was a fantastic and informative blog!
ReplyDelete-Melanie Leyva
ASTR 152
Its always cool learning about the universe and how it operates. Understanding the background history of this universe was pretty interesting especially the information that you provided in the second and third paragraph. I also enjoyed learning more intriguing information about galaxies since I’ve gained a strong interest regarding that topic.
ReplyDeleteHello Professor,
ReplyDeleteThat is a very deep statement/ quote that your father told you. I have been told something very similar to that when I was in a theology class. It really allowed me to keep an open mind and stay in my faith. I love to look at the stars and try to figure out what is going in the sky. It is very interesting on how back in the day they could see many of the same stars I look at today. They would expose film to the sky and then try to examine and evaluate what they saw. Know that we have more sophisticated technology and still are analyzing the same galaxies and stars as they were as well as more that they never knew were there. I would have loved to listen to the debate now that I have a lot more knowledge on the subject. I find it interesting that the greatest discoveries come from mundane things like a candle studied at different distances. From that they came up with rotation speed and type of star will measure the brightness. That is so amazing. Thank you for sharing another good blog.
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteWhat I found most interesting about your article is how we are able to determine the brightness of the star based on the amount of brightness it produces. Overall, your blog was very enjoyable and informational to read! (:
Yaqueline Carlos
ReplyDeleteASTRO 152
One interesting fact that I learned from this blog is that galaxies are actually in groups. It is very interesting to find out that galaxies are actually moving away from us, thus making it harder for us to actually know what is in those galaxies. Distance is the greatest factor in this because since the distance between ourselves and the other galaxies, it is nearly impossible for us to even know what that galaxy looks like. As I mentioned it is nearly impossible but I think that it is very possible for someone in the future to figure out a way to see these galaxies.
The fact that you mentioned that in the beginning the galaxies were really close together, can it be possible that in those other galaxies that have human life on them or some sort of life that we are unaware of?
Learned some new things from this post. The most interesting one was how what we see the galaxy is history and not what is happening right now. There is a delay between when the actual event occurs and when we can actually see it from earth.
ReplyDeleteI did not know that galaxies lose their shape when they collide with other galaxies. I also found it very interesting how at one time all the galaxies were together. I also didn't know that you can determine the brightness of a galaxy multiple ways. I did not realize how much we knew about galaxies.
ReplyDeleteJustin Toerner
ASTR 152
Grace Doyle
ReplyDeleteASTRO 152
I liked learning about the distance og galaxies. Its crazy to know how many years it takes to reach us. I also liked learning about Edwin Hubble. His concept of inverse square law. It was an interesting concept stating the further away light seems to be, it will look even smaller. Interesting stuff.
Nancy Moreno
ReplyDeleteASTR152 OL
My favorite quote was the one used at the beginning which was, “the creation is beyond our imagination, it contains smaller than the smallest and bigger than the biggest,” which I feel relates tremendously to this class. There is so much out there we are unaware of and do not know about.
Hello Prof,
ReplyDeleteI find it fascinating that galaxies' lights take several million year to actually be seen by us. It is also crazy that we do not actually know what is going on with the stars on other galaxies since they are very very far away that it would take light to travel that long. I learned that the method and discovery to find the distance of these galaxies are due to the light/luminosity given by the stars; the method is called “inverse square law.” To think that 4 galaxies are possibly going to collide w/ ours is a little frightening, however it is good to know better than not knowing.
Kristoffer Villabroza
ASTR 152
I used to think that the universe was "infinite" in the sense that it was infinitely large, and an infinite number of things were happening instantaneously. Based on what I've learned since, is the universe only "infinite" because it's infinitely expanding at a pace that can never be outmatched?
ReplyDeleteI find it really interesting that galaxies are in motion. I alway thought they were stationary. Its mind blowing to think that at one time everything was so close together.
ReplyDeleteDyamond Bernard
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
I always look forward to reading your weekly posts. I always learn something new and extremely fascination. My favorite thing I read about in this post was how we see the galaxies. It really reminded me of the movie interstellar.
I was completely unaware that galaxies are grouped together, and then later added together to create a larger entity. Not only that, but I also was not aware of such little characteristics determine parts of a galaxy. It is astonishing to know that the brightness of a galaxy determines the speed. The creation of the Hubble telescope allows us to observe and learn the fascinating aspects that are out in space.
ReplyDeleteAlways looking forward to reading your blogs, and seeing that I get to learn more and more about the galaxies each week. Amazing to know that galaxies comes together and they have different shapes
ReplyDeleteIt is very interesting, the Astronomy always make me feel amazing. Also, your own knowledge and experience is very cool.
ReplyDeleteHeng Shen '
ASTR 152 ONLINE
“The creation is beyond our imagination” is the key concept to understand more about our past. However, it does not prevent us to explore more about the universe and how it was created. Nobody could imagine that humans one day can measure the distance between galaxies and found out the brightness of them. Also the fact that universe is expanding and galaxies are moving away from each other are amazing.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog once again. A very interesting read for sure. Always amazed to learn so much about astronomy and to read the knowledge you share with the course.
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to believe that 85% of the matter in our galaxy is dark matter. Also, it is very sad that it would take us 80,000 years to get to the other side of the milky way because it limits us from discovering new things.
ReplyDeleteThe movement of the galaxies is so massive and begs us to question just how far our galaxy and universe can keep expanding. I don't think we can even comprehend what lies beyond the stars or beyond the atom
ReplyDeleteHaley Blevins
ASTR 152
It was interesting reading about Edwin Hubbles discovery!
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 ONLINE
FALL 2016
MARINA MELKUMYAN
This was another great blog post with a lot of valuable information. Something that I found really interesting was the fact that distance to the galaxies is so large that light billions of years to reach us so it is essentially impossible to know what is going on in the moment. By studying the galaxies today, we’re studying the history of the universe. The lecture mentioned that there was a time when all the galaxies were together. According to Hubble’s law, all galaxies are moving away from each other. Will there ever be a time that the galaxies will have a chance of coming together again? Thanks!
ReplyDeleteYet another interesting blog post! Astronomy is mesmerizing in its mystery. I always seem to want to know more after I finish the posts. I found it absolutely extraordinary that it takes billions of years for light to reach us! Also, the fact that at some point the universe and all the galaxies were together is extremely strange to comprehend. It must have been so different and we'll probably never know the exact details of what happened. It's nice to put a name (Hubble's Law) to a phenomenon that I've been aware of for some time now. Thanks for the post professor!
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting post I think its really cool stars take so much time to reach us. it is going take us 80,000 years to reach the other side of the milky way that is so shocking.
ReplyDeleteIt's really crazy to think about how big our galaxy and the universe really is. It was really interesting that there are four galaxies moving towards us, and the rest are moving away. It's weird to think that we are studying history by observing the stars since it takes so long for the events to be seen by us on Earth.
ReplyDeleteIt’s interesting to learn about how Galaxies were discovered by man. What stood out to me from this lecture was learning about the debate between Shapely and Curtis on April 26, 1920. The inverse square law was based on this debate. Two other astronomers, Tully and Fisher found that brighter galaxies rotate faster. In 1929 Edwin Hubble made a great discover that all of the galaxies except for four are moving away from us. He discovered that our universe is expanding. It’s very fascinating to learn about these things, and what we can learn from the discoveries of man.
ReplyDeleteThere was a time where people did not know whether there were nebulous objects inside or outside the Milky Way. Now we know so much more because of the opportunities technology has gave us. I feel the reason we haven’t discovered other galaxies is because they are million to billion years away. Like your blog said the further away the galaxy, what we see is the past. There is still so much we do not know so the race to find out continues.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteEmmeli Tomth (Astr 152 Fall 2016)
ReplyDeleteI always knew that stars and planets move. They orbit and move around in different shapes. But I never thought about the fact that whole galaxies can collide and ultimately merge and form something new.
Its interesting that brighter galaxies rotate faster, does that mean that the energy when they spin create more energy in form of light?.
Its crazy to know that what we see today happened years and years ago. We can’t see the future only speculate and we can’t even see a true representation of the universe as it is today. That idea is greater than a human mind can fully understand in my opinion. It makes me wonder if we are actually here right now on this earth or if what we experience as life today is actually in the past. Its easy to get very deep and start thinking about our own life’s meaning when studying this topic.
What lies ahead if the galaxies merged and collided more in the past. Will everything at one point stop and become a big void instead of a big bang? What do you think? and who can really tell.
Dear Professor,
ReplyDeleteIt's so crazy that there is so much out there that we possibly don't know about. I didn't know that the brighter galaxies rotate faster. Your father is right, "the creation is beyond our imagination..." Thank you for another fabulous blog post!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIt's so crazy to learn that our galaxies move? For some reason, in my mind, I always thought that galaxies were fixed in the universe, that they had no movement.
ReplyDeleteSelena Dang
ASTR 152
Professor Choudhary,
ReplyDeleteOnce again another fascinating lecture post. Just the mere thought that we are potentially one of the many millions of galaxies in this universe blows my mind! It is insane to comprehend.
Celina Carpina
ASTR Online
Fall 2016
Galaxies are complex to understand. The life of stars is something in which i am not fully aware of. With the help of tis blog I am able to articulate how and why the things in our galaxy appear.
ReplyDeleteTERREL GULIFORD
ASTR 152
Galaxies have been crucial in understanding the history of the universe. Scientist have realized that at the beginning of the creation of the universe all were together and that now the universe is expanding because all the galaxies except 4 are moving away from us. I think that is fascinating, my only concern is what will happen to earth since we get light from those galaxies. Will we become extinct? Or is it enough with the four other galaxies that are still next to us. So much knowledge is yet to be discovered and will we ever have the opportunity to answer all our questions about the creation of the universe and the purpose of its existence.
ReplyDeleteIxtla Montanez
ASTR 152 online
Fall 2016
There are so many galaxies in the universe, and eventually one day in the future we will be able to go out into space and explore the different places. The wonders of the open space is remarkable, and can’t even be imagined. Since the beginning of time everything was once connected and even the world we live in as well. The thing that surprised me was the fact of our galaxies moving in the skies.
ReplyDeleteEdward Rodriguez
Astro 152
Fall 2016
It's crazy how each galaxy is so different. For example, when reading about the elliptical galaxy groups containing hundreds and thousands of galaxies making huge groups was really interesting. Also, how there are so much that we still don't know and could still learn about. What stood out to me was knowing that there are four galaxies still moving away from us that Edwin Hubble didn't know. Great blog post!
ReplyDeleteChristina Tran
AST 152 Online (FALL 2016)
I am again amazed by the advances humans have had in recent years. We are able to measure distance and speed of things so far away from us. Using inverse square law we see how far things are from us. The candle example is great as anyone can relate to the exponential decrease of brightness the farther you get. It is very intense to understand the fact that we are seeing galaxies when they were so much younger because of how far they are and how long it takes for their light to get to us. We are essentially traveling back in time. To me that is amazing, but hopefully one day we can find a way to see them in their present state.
ReplyDelete-Raymundo Ruvalcaba
astr 152
fall 2016
The advancements we have made over the years are incredible. The distances of objects in space used to be such a mystery to us, but now we have advancements to help us answer many questions. (space, etc) Measuring things, distances, and more is now possible due to our modern technology. This post went further into depth about our galaxy.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Maggie Chong
Astronomy always raises so many questions! Most are still unanswered! It is crazy how one man was able to measure distances of galaxies and determine how far they are from us. And as technology became more advanced, we are able to make more and more discoveries every day.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Riley Conlan
The fact about galaxy distance were interesting. I wonder if there is any effect of the galaxy and the earth distance. and what will it happen if the galaxy gets near and closer to the earth? what effect and harm will be given to our human life?
ReplyDeleteSungjoo Jeon
ASTR 152
Fall 16'
these blogs make me feel really minuscule compared to other things in the universe. there are so many questions to be asked that haven't been answered. space exploration seems to be a never ending task since there is still so much to discover and learn about.
ReplyDeleteAustin Moreno
ASTR 152
This lecture was very interesting because I learned that most galaxies are found in groups and are bounded by gravitational attraction. Also, that elliptical galaxy groups contain hundreds and thousands of galaxies making huge groups. I also didn't know that as the galaxies move around they collide and the interaction distorts their shape. I also learned about the "inverse square law", what was particularly interesting is that the distances to the galaxies are so large that light takes several million, in many cases billion of years to reach us.
ReplyDeleteCelinne Hernandez ASTR152 ONLINE
So, it blows my mind to think that we will never really know what is happening to our galaxy at the present time. What we do know is that our galaxy is getting bigger and bigger. I, at the same time, wonder all this information going to make any changes to our lives? Yes, of course. Maybe decades later? But I love knowing about the Space, so I'd like to know more about it. I like Hubble's discovery about measuring the recession velocity of the galaxies allowed us to know what galaxies are close or far and if they are coming toward us or away. This blog was fascinating and informative as always:)
ReplyDeleteInteresting read this week.
ReplyDeleteGalaxies have always been a mystery and there are more to be discovered. On the larger scale we are all just tiny beings living on a planet that is in a massive galaxy.
Its incredible how far are those galaxies are and the fact that as bright they as more speed they have.
ReplyDeleteRyan Schlup ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteIts amazing how little we actually know about our galaxies, considering that they are ever expanding. And also how much we can learn from the past by studying older galaxies. All the discoveries made by Scientist and researchers have been important so far but their is still far more to be discovered and that is sort of frightening and intriguing.
Samantha Mejia
ReplyDeleteFall 2016
Astronomy 152
The candle located at twice the distance appearing four times brighter really helped me understand the concept of measuring objects- which I have had a hard time understanding. The quote adopted by Hindu scripture Bhagabat Gita, " the creation is beyond our imagination, it contains smaller than smallest and bigger than biggest" reminded me of the website that had us zoom out starting out with an ant and going all the way to outer space, and how small it made me feel- watching from my tiny computer screen. There are so many galaxies we have yet to discover and that's mind-boggling.
Professor,
ReplyDeleteThis blog post was especially interesting; the concept of witnessing the past through the stars, and not knowing what became of those galaxies is interesting, and even a bit haunting. I've never thought of it this way, so this post was eye-opening. Thank you
Christa Griffiths
ASTR 152 ONLINE (Fall 2016)
I'm always curious when I read the blogs I'm always wondering what's next. I never really knew anything about the galaxy. when you write about it its interesting and far from boring.
ReplyDeleteASTRO 151 Fall
Jaime Lopez
ReplyDeleteFall 2016
Astronomy 152
It is amazing to see just how much we have discovered about our galaxy and other galaxies in the span of a century. We now know that find out galaxies can be spiral, elliptical, or irregular shaped. We can find out the brightness of a galaxy by its rotational speed. Lots if discovery have been made but but there is still much to discover and that's what makes it much more interesting.
I had no idea that galaxies can be spiral, elliptical, or irregular shaped. I always thought that galaxies were all the same. Although I figured that it would take billions of years for light to reach us I still find it very interesting how there is much more that we have not yet discovered and have so many questions. It seems impossible to be able to tell how many galaxies there are !
ReplyDeleteI found this blog to be very interesting but also very informative as well. I had no idea that galaxies rotated at different speeds. I also found it very interesting that all galaxies except for four were moving away from Earth.
ReplyDeleteJacqueline Anderson
Astr 152
I always take away from the first paragraph of your blog posts because they make me really think about the universe more. The inverse law was very interesting. There's a lot of unanswered questions that we have yet to find out about in the upcoming years.
ReplyDeleteTien Ho
ASTR Online
Wow. This was good information. I can't believe that all of this was discovered almost a hundred years ago when they didn't have half the technology we have today. This universe is unbelievable and the quote in the first paragraph nailed it right on the head. Really really enjoyed learning about this!
ReplyDeleteElias Orona
ASTR 152
When reading your blog, I am so excited to learn more about our galaxy and the universe. This is so interesting to know that in the past, galaxies were colliding and merging into each other frequently, and producing much more stars in bursts.
ReplyDeletePhuong Truong
ASTR 152
Henry Lamas
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
I can appropriate you explaning what a nebulous is by describing it as a "fuzzy objects apart from stars". The historical context from 1920 also shows the importance about the nebulous which i didnt know about in terms of the debated you stated from the two astronomers Shapley and Curtis. The inverse square law was some I also wasn't familiar with and felt is important after reading about it.
It is outstanding that we can measure the distance of Galaxy simply but the rotation speed and the brightness. It sounds so simple when you are just using candles but I don't think the every person knows that light gets dimmer x2 based on the distance. I still have a hard time understanding really how big the universe is and how so many galaxy's could be in one area.
ReplyDeleteJuvenal Lopez ASTR 152
My question is: how do we know where the edge of the universe is to know that it is expanding? If this light from galaxies far away takes billions of years to reach to reach us, who is to say that there are not galaxies beyond that, that are so far away that the light hasn't even reached us yet?
ReplyDeleteAshley Stepteau ASTR 152 Fall
Very interesting information in this lecture. It is hard to grasp how large outer space is and the many different galaxies up there. To know that there are so many that we will possible never discover because it takes millions of years for their light to reach earth. We just don't have that type of technology to travel that fast. Also to know that our galaxy is expanding every year and every moment, like you said, how close did we use to be? Maybe we will never know but it is fascinating to think about. Very great lecture.
ReplyDeleteChristopher Posada
ASTR 152
Fall 2016
It is amazing that the human race has evolved so far that we are able to contemplate where we fall in the universe. All the other life forms that exists on this planet are only able to think so far as where their next meal comes from or how not to get eaten themselves. The human brain is such an amazing thing to have been able to ponder these questions about our galaxy and then answer some of these questions. Who knows how far away is the time that we are able to inhabit space and beyond? It is definitely a possibility given the potential of human's ingenuity.
ReplyDeleteKierra Stepteau 152 Fall
I found it interesting to learn that most galaxies are found in groups bound by gravitational attraction. In addition, it's amazing seeing how the the spiral galaxies are loosely bound with those of few dozens. I found it pretty tough to wrap around my head that the elliptical galaxy groups contain hundreds and thousands of galaxies making huge groups. Moreover, as the galaxies move around they collide and the interaction distorts their shape.These blogs are very interesting, especially when there's a story tied to the author.
ReplyDeletethis was very interesting learning about galaxies and how they are grouped. I had many question about this topic and many of it was answered. Its crazy how we still haven't discovered so much.
ReplyDeleteArno Avasapian
It seems a little uneasy, not having the ability to see whats really happening in our galaxies. It's always going to remain a mystery. All we know is how magnificently bright they are compared our sun.
ReplyDeleteWould it be logical to think our universe was expanding at a rate that we do not understand, and also in that expansion new stars are forming? Will we ever be able to travel in space like we travel in our own planet? These questions are what keep me going in my studies!
ReplyDeleteKatie Rosa Astronomy 152 (Online)
ReplyDeleteAnother very interesting blog post. astronomy is very scary yet very interesting. One concept of many I had no clue about was that galaxies can be spiral, elliptical or shaped irregularly. As well as learning something as new as that galaxy's are found in groups and are bounded by gravitational attraction.Another crazy fact is that our galaxies actually move and I found that very cool and interesting.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteEven in your inability to find a direct comparison between your childhood and the universe around us with this lecture, I was still intrigued. This course showcases so many aspects of life that we have the beauty of understanding deeply or learning more about over time. The questions you proposed at the end were my favorite part of the lecture. I, too, am very curious about this subject matter and the motion of our galaxies.
ReplyDeleteAshley Jackson
ASTR152
FALL 2016
I generally thought that it was astounding that we are seeing something that has as of now happened and that star have detonated however we haven't seen it yet. I think it is amazing how substantial our world really is for something to contact us a billion years after the fact. its so difficult to handle that we are just so little in our universe.
ReplyDeleteYour blog posts always remind me how amazing our universe is, but also how amazing mankind is to have come up with the technology to learn this stuff. I love that mankind is so curious and that pushes us to create the technology to fuel our curiosity.
ReplyDeleteIts really crazy to see how the galaxies are so huge that it takes light years to really reach each other. It makes you think about how the universe is just so large and out of our control that anything is possible in life and we just have to explore!
ReplyDeleteYessenia Gramajo
ReplyDeleteAstr 152/ Spring 2017
This article was very intriguing. I think it is amazing how we aren’t seeing what actually happened already. We could be looking at star without even knowing that it has already exploded, which is a majority of the stars in the sky. And the reason we haven’t seen what has actually happened yet is because our galaxy is so big that it has not reached us yet even after a billion years. I also thought it was very cool how galaxies also change over time when they collide with another.
I thought that this was a great lecture and i like the quote "the creation is beyond our imagination, it contains smaller than the smallest and bigger than the biggest" i think that this is very true.It amazing how big the universe is and how there are so many unknown things about it.
ReplyDeleteHi professor,
ReplyDeleteIt is really something how each galaxy is different from the next one. How the elliptical galaxy groups containing hundreds and thousands of galaxies making huge groups was really interesting. Thank you for sharing this with us it was truly intriguing.
Talya Joffe
ASTR 152
CSUN
Spring 2017
ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteLearning these type of things opens many new questions for me, like the ones you have provided us. How come things happen the way the do? How was it like in the beginning of it all? Will things ever change?
Alejandra Mora
ReplyDeleteAstro 152 OL
Hello Professor,
It is amazing to know that the brightness of a galaxy is used to determine the distance. The questions at the end of the lecture are great! they truly make us question how everything began and how it will end.
La Vonne Centeno
ReplyDeleteAstr 152/Spring '17
Just like the stars blogs, this article was able to answer some curiosity that I had from the previous blog. I liked learning about the galaxy collision, shape changes and distances. This blog helped me learn about the different shapes that the galaxies can form. I love learning about the galaxy because it is fascinating that we can come up with conclusions about these ideas even though they are outside of our realm.
Professor,
ReplyDeleteI cannot even fathom how the universe could be expanding! At first, I was confused as to why other galaxies would be moving away from us. But now, it makes sense that the other galaxies are farther and farther way based on the expansion of the milky way! I also found it interesting how we use brightness and light to measure distance, I definetly would not want to be faced with the math formula for that equation.
Alexis Alvarez
Hi Professor,
ReplyDeleteThe fact that the universe is expanding is something I never thought about or knew. We have come a long way of figuring things out but there are so many questions we still can not answer presented in your blog. I knew the distance to the galaxies are large but I did not know that that it could take millions or even billions of years to reach us. Thank you for the valuable information
Natalie Bedrosian
Astr 152 online
Hello,
ReplyDeleteAs always this blogs help me learn so much. I can't believe the universe is expanding. I would have never thought of that. It explains so much like why other galaxies have moved away.
Thank you.
Hi Professor,
ReplyDeleteI was feel very curious about mysterious galaxy and wonder if there is another life planet like earth in other galaxies. And the man found the inverse square law is really contributed a lot to astronomy and modern science. Also, it is amazing to know the night sky we view is actually exist from the long long past, which is feel like we are watching the past.
Yang Liu
Astr 152 Spring 2017 OL
I enjoyed reading this post. I also agree with that the universe and space is so vast it is impossible to comprehend and understand everything about it. It was interesting to read and learn more about the different types of galaxies. Just like other subjects scientists had their disagreements about galaxies. In order, to learn more about galaxies, astronomers need to study the galaxies of the past. Spiral galaxies were made 5 billion years ago. Galaxies were all once connected they were together, but they eventually spilt up. The time of the connection is unknown.
ReplyDeleteJuliana DLP
ASTR152
Good Afternoon Professor
ReplyDeleteAs usual your lecture was very interesting, I learn something new every time I read them. I had no idea that the universe was constantly growing. I also did not know that there were different types of galaxies and that they were once all connected to each other.
Ariel Ford
ASTR 152
I just waiting on they day, observers are able to see what currently goes on with galaxies!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth Escareno
Sp 17
Astro 152
Yekaterina Melnik, Astronomy 152 Online, Spring Semester 2017
ReplyDeleteIt is intriguing that the Universe is constantly changing and in our case expanding, this reminded me a lot of the life on our planet and the continents. The fact that it is presumed that once all the galaxies were together is much like the assumption that there was a time when all the contents on Earth were together, it is assumed that there was a time when there was one “whole” continent and due to the constant changing of our Earth, through earthquakes and other natural events our continent separated into parts and they moved away from each other. So, this theory of the universe seems very similar and highly possible. In fact, our Earth’s continents are continuing to move and gradually over a very long time they will no longer be located where they are now on the map, much like how the universe will continue expanding and moving. It is fascinating how we connect what we know here on Earth and use this knowledge to compare to what is beyond our reach, out there in the universe. For instance, we use our perception of light to figure out distances based on how it works here on Earth. If one thinks about it, it is incredible how we have learned to analyze the world and use it to our advantage.
Dominic Teran
ReplyDeleteASTRONOMY 152 ONLINE
I think when we were all young that most of us pondered about the sky above us and all I really learned during that age was that it is why the water is blue when we see it in pools or the ocean due to it reflecting the sky. I wish I knew more back then because I thought the sky was a separate entity that just held the sun and moon, and had little to no idea about the galaxy until I watched some action shows that had the heroes explore the universe, where it was then when I realized the sky wasn’t the holder of these incredible spectacles. Interesting how my knowledge of space and from most other things stems from the cartoons and movies I watched as a child.
Soraya Gomez
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
I didn't know that galaxies would collide with each other. I thought that they had their own route and would never touch. They do touch and their shape changed when they collide. Its interesting because there are so many galaxies that touch and change shape.
It blows my mind how big the galaxy really is and it interesting to know that it takes millions or billions of years for light to reach us from the galaxy. Growing up all I knew was we were in the milky way and what the names of the planets are, so learning the little details are amazing.
ReplyDeleteCarlos Murillo
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 Online
Everything is moving away from itself at a relative pace, which could possibly show us the initial point of release where everything was once "together". Was matter so condensed into a small space where it expanded and created the big bang? There are so many questions left to be answered, and each and every year science sheds more light onto these questions, revealing small pieces of the very large puzzle at hand.
Hi Professor,
ReplyDeleteLearning about the "inverse square law" was very helpful and fascinating! It is so interesting that brighter stars rotate faster than other ones, and by determining what galaxy a star is a part of, we can find their brightness. I love how this piece ended by putting all pieces together, and saying although, we do not have all the answers, one thing we are sure of is that all of this took place 13.6 billion years ago (which I find extremely astounding!)
Thank you so much for sharing Professor,
-Ren
Eleonor Navarro ASTR 152-16522-Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteProfessor,
The fact that everything in the universe was once together is so intriguing. It's interesting that now, everything is gradually moving away from each other. I wonder if the rate at which the planets are moving will affect the weather and atmosphere of each of them. How far will we be away from the Sun if everything is constantly moving away from each other and how will it affect our life on earth? Surely, this will take ages to actually affect our earth, but it is fascinating and scary to think about.
Edwin Hubble discovered that all of our galaxies are moving away from us. This became know as Hubble's law in which it describes the expansion of the universe. It is interesting that our galaxy is going to be even bigger because they are all slowly starting to expand.
ReplyDeleteHello Professor
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this blog post they always seem to amaze me and teach me something new. What most interested me was hat galaxies change shape as they collide. Also that one is able to measure the brightness of a galaxy by the speed of its rotation.
Megan Perez
Astronomy 152 (online)
Spring 2017
I remember reading online about the way the universe began. When the universe was first "born," it immediately began expanding, and will continue to indefinitely. I personally never knew however that while most galaxies are moving away from one another, some of them are coming toward each other, like the four that you mentioned approaching the Milky Way. The way the universe operates truly is mysterious.
ReplyDeleteJessica Levin Samarscova
ASTR 152 Spring 2017
Bertini nguyen
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL Spring 2017
It always confuses me how would we be able to understand other galaxies if we don't fully understand our own. It takes many light years to travel our own let alone other galaxies. If it is always expanding many more galaxies and stars will be born. That will always fascinate me.
Hello Professor
ReplyDeleteThis sis was another interesting to read. Your blogs always seem to relate with one another but still end up teaching me something new. As for this one I found that galaxies loose their shape as to when they collide I never knew that about galaxies.
Megan Perez
Astronomy 152 (online)
Spring 2017
It amazes me how people are able to study and understand galaxies beyond human reach. It is so interesting how people know about the change of shape and temperature of stars and other objects in the galaxy. It is almost scary to think that there are more things that humans have yet to discover. I also never knew that the galaxy's brightness or dimness can be used to measure distance. Very interesting and insightful blog post, thank you Professor!
ReplyDeleteAngella Dijamco
ASTR 152 ( Online )
Spring 2017
Kevin Whitmarsh
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
Spring 2017
Your father's quote, “the creation is beyond our imagination, it contains smaller than the smallest and bigger than the biggest” really puts into words the creation of our galaxy. It really is quite astonishing to think of the many things that we may have yet to discover. Such things that we find necessary of using telescopes and microscopes to see is fascinating in itself. Therefore, when you think of something to be the smallest you have ever thought or the largest you have ever thought, you still have not reached what our galaxy contains. Thus giving the quote, "“the creation is beyond our imagination."
Cristian Gil 152 Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteIs the universe expanding as a result of the big bang? If so that is mind blowing. Honestly everything I've learned so far about space is absolutely mind blowing and I'm beginning to understand people's fascination with it. The fact that things are actual light years away is also hard to grasp. I can hardly stand a 4 hour car ride to visit my parents. The fact that the milky way alone is 80 million light years from end to end is hard to put into context.
Zoe Pitko
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
I find it extremely interesting that galaxies change over time. I wish we knew more about how this happens, if we were ever combined with different galaxies.
Childhood curiosity has led to some amazing discoveries as adults. Unfortunately, many people lose the ability to be curious through life and just stop wondering. If everyone kept their level of childhood curiosity greater discoveries could be made. The speed at which light travels through space seems slow considering how long it takes to reach the earth. Events that have already occurred thousands of light years away are still not revealed to us because we are too far away to observe them.
ReplyDeleteMahrum Arya Zahiri
Astr152 Spring 2017
100859250
The ideas shared through this blog post are inspiring as I did not know that all matter in our universe including galaxies are pulling away from each other. This allows humans to dive into the idea and imagine the universe as a once interconnected celestial phenomena. The separation of galaxies into small groups through processes lasting billions of years is an extraordinary find as it helps explains why these things occur and the effects of gravitational pull between all living matter in the universe. The totality of the universe is yet to be explored as it would take billions of years to do so but mathematical calculations and the observation of processes allows us to hint at estimates concerning the expansion and shifting of galaxies.
ReplyDeleteIt’s strange that all but four galaxies are moving away from us. I was also unaware that as the galaxies move around they collide and the interaction distorts their shape.I had no idea that galaxies can be spiral, elliptical, or irregular shaped. Through this course I have come to realize that though we are learning, we are also realizing that there is still so much to be discovered.
ReplyDeletePatricia Olivera Astronomy 152 Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteIt is crazy how huge the galaxy is, it is very cool to find new discoveries about the galaxy and everything that has to do with this topic. When I learn about space in general I always look up in the sky and just let my curiosity out and question how the galaxy came to be and how huge it could be.
The Hindu scripture you incorporated within your first paragraph is amazing, the world s bigger than us, it is bigger than we assume. Life is made up so many more elements than the imaginable that we cannot possibly know everything. I never knew galaxies collide, yet alone change shape when they do so. It is interesting that galaxies that move away from the Earth at a greater distance are moving faster, yet those moving towards the Earth are moving randomly. Even though we progress in discoveries everyday and work towards getting more answers, like you mentioned in your last paragraph the universe is expanding!
ReplyDeleteCristina Zakaryan
Astr 152 OL Spring 2017
Sebastian Artola
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
While I was sad to hear that no longer could you correlate your childhood to these lectures, (something I had greatly enjoyed), the idea from your father's teachings and the quote from Gita is touching. Anyway, short but fun blog! I'm sure that that debate between the two Astronomers was fun and heated, for the time. Hubble's discovery about the galaxies is crucial, especially now in recent years with what we know.
ASTRO 152
ReplyDeleteInteresting to read that brighter galaxies rotate faster and by that we can measure its brightness. It's weird to think that some of the galaxies even move away from us. Also, galaxies can change shape and stuff also with collisions is cool to lear about. Crazy that all of this was done and found out millions of years ago, with our technological world expanding, who knows what we will be able to find out in centuries to come.
The opening sentence really sparked my interest. It's one of those statements that I think will kind of stick with me. It's crazy to think that in the pursuit of learning other things, you're earlier knowledge might not be as useful as it use to be. Again this blogposts amazes me with how big the universe really is; there really is so much out there of the unknown!
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
i like this article because i just recently learned that stars are actually dead we just see their light because it hasnt traveled to our eyes yet.
ReplyDeleteIt was interesting to learn that we are able to study the history of the universe by studying the galaxies of the past. I would never think this is possible just from observing the different galaxies. It's crazy to think how many galaxies there really are and the things we can learn from them.
ReplyDeleteEmery Hernandez
ASTR 152 Online
Spring 2017
hi professor, this blog was great, I always found it amazing that we are seeing something that has already happened and that star have exploded but we haven't even seen it yet.
ReplyDeleteMd Alam
astr 152 Online
Spring 2017
The concept that the light hasn't hit us yet from a star is really interesting. It is like looking into the past. I really enjoyed reading the quote of your father.
ReplyDelete-Anthony Martires (ASTRO 152)
In science and biology, I have learned that there is a purpose for every natural occurrence. Humans growl because it is the body's way of telling us that we need to eat. We have a nose because we smell for survival. But why is the universe continually expanding and why does it need to do so? I hope that one of these days, we find an answer for this phenomenon.
ReplyDeleteIt is truly incredible how large our galaxy is. It also is amazing to think that light takes millions of years to reach us from galaxies.
ReplyDeleteAmber Daoud
ASTR152 Summer Online
I love learning about our galaxy because I find it very mysterious and cool. Your stories and information are always very informative and keep me interested. It is amazing how it would take us millions/billions of years just to reach these galaxies. I liked the information about Edwin Hubble’s discovery; he found in 1929 that all but 4 of the galaxies are moving away from us. One interesting thing I learned from this blog was that the shape of a galaxy will change whenever they collide with each other. Thank you for sharing your post!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth Luna
Astr 152
Summer 2017
My favorite thing about physics and some sciences was that we could always find the answer to one question by using something else, and that the formulas could be altered to find something else. I just loved the idea that it was all connected-- like when we were in elementary and learned about number families. Things like this just fascinate me, because I always wondered how we could know all of these things about these objects that are so far away that we've never really seen them-- and now I know we're clever enough to make a formula based on something else we do know about it.
ReplyDeleteRayleen Silva
ASTR152-- Summer 2017
The thought of studying the history of the universe by studying the galaxies of the past is such an exciting and thought provoking statement! What is also amazing is how there are only 4 galaxies that are NOT moving away from us, that is incredible. What amazes me is how many shapes a galaxy can have and how with modern technology they are able to be classified.
ReplyDeleteElia Narvaez
ASTR 152 (Online) Summer 2017
What intrigues me, is why the four galaxies moving towards us are moving towards us? What are they moving away from? And it's crazy to think that the universe is expanding. What was there before the universe was created? What is it expanding into? There has to be something there. Shouldn't there?
ReplyDeleteHeather Friedman
ASTR152 Summer 2017
Reading about the distances between the galaxies makes daily stresses and daily routines seems infinitesimally insignificant. It's interesting to note that the inverse square law can be applied to determine the distance of the galaxies. In addition to the inverse square law, the brightness of the different galaxies is an important component to determine the distance of the galaxies. It is humbling to note that all of the human achievements can be superseded by the expansion of the universe.
ReplyDeleteJulius Loredo
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
This was by far one of my favorite blog posts. I am very intrigued by the galaxies and how far/close they are to us. Like you said, there had to been a time where all the galaxies were close together. But times have changed and now they are constantly moving. I wonder what the sky and would have looked like with all the galaxies together at one point. It is weird how easily galaxies can separate and come together. This makes it hard to make predictions, and why our universe is and always will be a big mystery.
ReplyDeleteIt's fascinating to think that there are galaxies that are moving away from us and there are galaxies that are headed towards us. It would be really interesting if we could see where all of the galaxies and stars were located when the all this started.
ReplyDeleteNazenie Parsamyan
ASTR 152 (Online) Summer 2017
Do we know exactly what makes those 4 galaxies move toward us? Deviate from the norm? I feel like I have always been taught that the universe is ever expanding, but I have never heard that galaxies are actually moving toward us. I notice I start to feel anxious when I think about the universe too much. There is so much out there and we are not sure where it ends or if there are even more dimensions that we don't know about. There are also other mysteries that we still can't wrap our heads around that will remain a mystery until we get to the point where we can finally understand the universe a bit more.
ReplyDeleteShayla Mayers
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
It is extremely interesting to learn about other galaxies besides our Milky Way. I personally think that it would be interesting if we knew why the other galaxies are moving towards a certain direction and where they end up at.
ReplyDeleteSarah Choi
ASTR 152 Online Summer 2017
It's interesting to learn about our galaxy. I didn't how galaxies change their shape when they collide. It changes from one shape to the other from spiral to elliptical to irregular shape. And also may add more dust and gas or less depending on the shape of the galaxy.
ReplyDeleteJasmine Ulloa
ASTR 152 Online Summer 2017
I had previously heard about Hubble, but I never knew what Hubble's law is. It's incredible to realize that the universe is expanding. I like seeing how mathematical formulas such as the "inverse square law" can be used to learn more about the universe. It is fascinating to think about what state the universe will be in the future, way beyond our time on Earth.
ReplyDeleteKathryn Munster
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
it seems like everything in the universe can be measured and calculated, it is what technology has brought us to. and how galaxies move and been created
ReplyDeleteABDULAZIZ ALMURAD
ASTR 152 SUMMER 2017
Andrea Cuba ASTR 152 SUMMER 2017
ReplyDeleteHello again professor and thanks again for another post! I always learn something new in each blog post. In this one, I learned that the light from galaxies travels millions of light years away and they may not even be in existence anymore! It's somewhat eerie to think that the same thing may happen to our own galaxy. Overall though, I find it very interesting!
This blog is interesting. let me know how the scientists figure out stars in the past.it is interesting to know that the universe is expending and i also confuse about whether there are something exist that outside of the universe.
ReplyDeleteYiting Wu
Astr 152 Online
Summer 2017
It is hard to imagine trying to travel from one end of the galaxy to other. Taking so many light years, I am amazed as to how all of the galaxy was mapped out. Imagine what the other galaxies in the universe look like.
ReplyDeleteThank you,
Daniel Kwon
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
Aishabibi Zhursinbek
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Summer2017
It is so confusing that we actually use brightness to calculate the rotation speed of the galaxy. I couldn't imagine the distances to the galaxies. It is so hard to understand that light takes several billions of years to reach us. Just mind-blowing post!