The
Universe
Debi
Prasad Choudhary
Los
Angeles
11/4/2014
The
priest in our village used claim that the temple in which he worshiped the
Goddess for all of us is the center of the universe. When, I started thinking
on my own, I started doubting, since in our neighboring village also there was a
temple with Goddess, which was better built!! After taking a modern cosmology
course, I realized how correct he was, since every point in the universe can
claim to be the center.
The
story of the universe starts with a simple, innocent looking question: Why the
night sky is dark? The answer is because the universe was created at some point
of time in the past and expanding ever since. I know the language of the
previous sentence is loaded with words like “created”, “point of time”, but let
us keep it that way for the time being. If the universe existed forever, extend
to infinity and not expanding the entire sky would be glowing due to dense stars and
galaxies heating up the interstellar matter over past infinity time. We can
think it of as looking the continuous trees of a thick forest. Since the
universe was created and expanding, lot of light has not reached us yet. As the
universe expands, the light waves are stretched such that the luminosity due to
them is diminished.
There
are four robust observational results that clearly show that the universe began
with an extreme hot state and expanding for past 13.6 billion years. In 1920s, Edwin Hubble measured the speed of
far away galaxies and found that they move away from us. The distant galaxies
move faster than the nearer ones. This is a direct consequence of the expanding
universe, which was predicted by intellectual ingenuity of Albert Einstein, who
considered the mass of matter and energy that moves them are manifestation of
the same stuff.
In
1976, Penzias and Wilson from Bell laboratories discovered that all the empty
space in the sky is uniformly cooled to about -455 F (or 2.3 K). The expanding
universe means in the distant past it was compact, dense and hot. The relative
amount of light elements such as hydrogen, Helium and Lithium suggest such as
condition of the life of the universe. Most type of hydrogen with and without a
neutron, helium with 3 and 4 neutrons and lithium with seven neutrons in their
nucleus were produced when the universe was very hot and dense, in first few
minutes after its existence.
Se
we know that the universe came to exist as an compact, dense and hot object
about 13.6 billion years back, where the space was created and time started.
Intense fire produced matter and suddenly extinguished as the light clumped and
converted into matter. The clouds of matter collapsed become stars and galaxies
and illuminated the universe again. We
can actually trace the distribution of galaxies into groups and mega groups
that correspond to the lumpiness of radiation in early stage of the universe.
This
is the story of the universe told by the modern scientists who has access to
large telescopes, sophisticate instruments and powerful computers. They think,
measure, verify and conclude. The questions are the same, so ancient wise man
without such privilege of modern professors and scientists tried to answer that
“God said let there be light”1, and others mysticism2 of
this sacred knowledge.
1"In the
beginning God created the heavens and the earth" And God
said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. (Genesis 1 and 3:1).
2“No body can know how the creation came to exist, and if he has
or has not produced this." (Rig Veda 10. 129)
Dear DR. Choudhary,
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting that has the universe stretches it is able to diminish the luminosity of the light we do not see. It seems weird that galaxies move away from us. I wonder if their racing to claim the space not yet discovered.
It also is intriguing that the universe started out extremely hot and dense and then over a period of time it converted light into matter. It almost sounds like the Big Bang Theory.
The last two quotes in the blog represent the questions humanity is left with. No one can say they know and if they do they must prove it. To prove the question lingering for billions of years would be a scientific break through. However we do not know for now, so lets continuing questioning the universes great existence.
Sincerely,
Richard Burson
Hello Professor Choudhary,
DeleteFrom reading your second blog, I find it interesting to note how the Bell laboratories were discovered from the vast emptiness of space that floated in the sky in 1976 by Wilson and Penzias! It was interesting and enlightening to note also about the temple with the Goddess from your neighborhood village and after taking a modern cosmology course how you realized how correct they were and the stories they told! Reading this blog was extremely intellectual and interesting to see how your realized these concepts and stories of the goddess' from your childhood!
Liliana Navarro, ASTR 152 Online, Summer 2018
I didn't realize that the universe is always expanding, and that the galaxies are moving in different directions. I liked your explanation using the trees in the forrest! It is mind blowing that the universe started out extremely hot and dense, it is so crazy that we are able to inhabit the earth and visit space with so many unknowns still.
ReplyDelete-Katlin Moody
As I mentioned in previous blogs I've known that the universe is expanding. I'm particularly interested in the big crunch theory. Will there really be a time when the universe suddenly collapses just as violently like in its "birth"? Will time really cease to exist? It's an interesting and scary thought.
ReplyDelete-Erick Fernandez
Jessica Ovsepian
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
This article was very interesting because I was unaware of the fact that the universe is always expanding. I liked the comparison you made of the universe to the continuous trees of a thick forest. It is also very interesting to learn that the universe began with an extremely hot state and has been expanding for the past 13.6 billion years. Also, the fact that all empty space in the sky is uniformly cooled to about -455 F. Overall, I enjoyed this article and learned a lot of new information.
I thought it was a myth that the universe was expanding. In fact, I thought it was impossible because of global warming. I'm glad I read this, now I can research all of this.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
Elizabeth Narayan
Ashley Castellanos ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteAs my peers have already mentioned, everyone one of us are in complete shock about the expanding of the universe constantly occurring.
I was really interested when you mentioned in 1976 how Penzias and Wilson realized all the empty space is cooled. Meaning the expansion of the universe is dense and hot. This blog was very educational and captivating to read.
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteThis blog post made me think about how long the universe has been around. 13.6 billion years is such a long time and to think that the universe is continuing to exist and expand. To be able to have this type of information now is such an accomplishment.
I also found it interesting how any point in the universe can claim to be the center.
- Yadira Morales-Chinchilla (ASTR 152)
Arjun Mudhar (ASTR 152OL)
ReplyDeleteThis was a very thought provoking lecture because the ideas introduced are very complex. Specifically, the idea of the universe expanding is what I found to be really interesting. It makes sense when you take a second to think about it why a lot of light hasn't reached us.
Arjun Mudhar (ASTR 152OL)
ReplyDeleteThis was a very thought provoking lecture because the ideas introduced are very complex. Specifically, the idea of the universe expanding is what I found to be really interesting. It makes sense when you take a second to think about it why a lot of light hasn't reached us.
I think it is interesting how some light in our universe still has not reached us and it makes me wonder when it will since the universe keeps expanding. I didn't know this before reading the lecture. Also the origins of the creation of the universe are very complex and the way that those origins logically make sense in terms of the verses you presented, I never thought of it that way.
ReplyDeleteYanin Peaches Ortega
ASTR 152 Online
Who knew galaxies are always expanding and moving around the universe. I did not know by galaxies expanding it means light can reach us? But im still wondering why light has not full reached us yet. Then reading I started to think of it a different way. Great blog really interesting.
ReplyDelete-Jazzlin Hernandez
Astro 151
I did not know that all the empty space in the sky is -455 F. Thinking of how freezing that is is absolutely incredible. Its great to know that although the galaxies are moving away from us we are still able to see them due to today's technology. I never knew that the galaxies are moving away from us I thought that they just randomly moved around in a circle around us or something related to that. How much can our galaxy contain if it keeps expanding? Is there ever an end to it? These are a couple of questions that came to mind when reading this blog.
ReplyDelete-Yaqueline Carlos
ReplyDeleteASTRO 152
I think that it is very interesting that the time in which the universe began is than 13.6 billion years. It is interesting to find out that galaxies are actually moving away from us because this will only make it harder for us to discover new things. A big question that I am having is how much further can the galaxies go? Is there a limit in which how far they can go?
Yajaira Tiscareno ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing to think that the universe has been expanding for the past 13.6 billion years. Never would I have imagined the incredible story of the universe. A fact I found interesting from the blog was. I like how you presented the example of looking at the continuous trees of a thick forest to help illustrate your point. Overall it was a pleasure reading your blog.
Erika Pina
ReplyDeleteAstr. 152
I think it's incredible that the temperature of the empty space in the sky is -455 F. It must be freezing cold up there. No wonder astronauts wear those big puffy suits, to keep warm. This blog post is really interesting.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
ReplyDeleteMelissa Ramirez
This is an interesting blog, how the universe continues to expand itself. Also, with the temperature -455 F in empty space is amazing.
I enjoyed reading the first paragraph and how you introduced the viewers to your personal experience regarding you and your villagers beliefs on worshiping God. Also, I found the information very interesting about how what makes the sky dark, and how the universe was created at some point of time in the past and has been expanding ever since. The world that we live in is extremely unique and it amazes me every time that I learn about something new. I will have to expand my knowledge more about how there is more light that still hasn't reached us yet… very weird. I respect the background knowledge on this topic because it helps me get a better understanding of the universe. I love the universe and I hope to reach all the goals that I have set before its time for my departure.
ReplyDeleteAnother very interesting article. I did not know the universe is always expanding. I also found it interesting how empty space in the sky is uniformly cooled to about -455F. Another great article that I learned a lot of new stuff from.
ReplyDeleteAram Teroganesyan
Astr152 online Yeseul kim
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading this blog and learned more about the universe. The interesting fact about the topic was that the universe is keep expanding. Thank you for sharing your blog again!
Astr152 online Yeseul kim
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading this blog and learned more about the universe. The interesting fact about the topic was that the universe is keep expanding. Thank you for sharing your blog again!
ASTR152 ONLINE
ReplyDeleteIt is crazy to think that some of the light has not reached us yet and since the universe is constantly expanding, it makes you wonder when it will reach us if ever. Before reading this I did not know that and after I really I am curious how and why this is possible.
Caitlen Diab ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteThe creation of the universe is a very tricky and (sometimes) controversial topic. Some people believe it was created one way and others will argue that it was created another way. I think you did a very good job of arguing and proving your point, and the way in which you believe the universe was created.
I also think that it's so cool how we are able to calculate how long the universe has been created. I can't even tell how old someone is by looking at them so knowing how old the universe is is pretty awesome!
Professor,
ReplyDeleteI thought the way you ended this post was perfect. These two verses, I feel, can either pose further questions for people or, in the alternative, give answers to questions. Personally, I feel that the universe is so vast and there is so much to explore that questions will always form at a faster rate than answers given.
Chelsea Zaragoza ASTR 152
I find it very interesting that the universe has been expanding for the longest time. It continues to expand even today. You would think that it would stop expanding but thats what makes the universe interesting. We would assume it would stop growing because thats how things are.
ReplyDeleteI never thought of how the universe could not have just existed but had to have been created because the sky would be glowing. Really enjoyed the fact that you brought your personal experience into the lecture because it helps us relate more to what you are telling us
ReplyDeletethank you for a great lecture
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteThis was another very interesting article. I enjoyed how your story and how you wrote this article. To think that the universe began over 13.6 billon years ago is both amazing and incomprehensible at the same time. What a wonderful world we live in. I have been taught and have learned many different ways of how the universe was created. This article did make me wonder thought what cause that extreme hot stage? What was here before our universe and was there some place like earth? Thank you for sharing your story and writing this article.
Hi Professor,
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting how we are able to decipher the age of the universe. The idea that the universe is expanding only means that there are parts of the universe that we may never reach.
ASTR 152
So the universe continues to expand... So there is hope that in the future we find new planets. Maybe we'll find one similar to earth. There's just so many possibilites within the unknown. Once again, great lecture!
ReplyDeleteMaria Camacho
Ast 152
I think it was interesting to imagine the universe existing for an infinite amount of time and not expanding the whole sky. It would be a sight to behold. The sky would be glowing and the light not being diminished.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Raymond Banting
Adrian Ruvalcaba
ReplyDeleteAstonomy 152
Reading this article was cool to find out the universe is expanding but it is crazy how we can not reach it. Also the two quotes in the end create questions of what is or could happen?
It was interesting to read that as long as the universe keeps expanding, the light can not fully reach us. Unlike my peers, I was not surprised that the universe is constantly expanding. Things in the Universe are bound to explode, and maybe even new stars may form, therefore it would be quite logical that the universe would be expanding.
ReplyDeleteFrancisco Facio
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
May 01, 2016
As mentioned previously, the expansion of the universe is quite thought provoking. In addition, as mentioned within the blog that some light within the inverse has still not reached us yet. I do know that light travels faster than sound, but if some light still has not reached us, has made me wonder how far these other galaxies, stars, etc. are from us..
It's interesting to talk about the expansion of the universe because of the mind boggling questions that come along with the subject. A question that I keep asking myself is that if the universe is expanding right now then what is it expanding into? What lies beyond the boundaries of our ever expanding universe?
ReplyDeleteHello Professor,
ReplyDeleteI like how this blog post illustrates that curious minds/questions always leads to further investigation and learning. If someone hadn't asked why the night sky is dark, we would have never learned about astronomy. (Same can apply to almost any concept or field). Along with this, it's amazing that we are able to know how old the universe is. Reading this blog made me feel proud because it goes to show that humanity is truly capable of accomplishing anything. Yet, I believe that this is both intriguing and scary.
I am very glad to read this blog, it always bring the interesting things to me. The light can not fully reach us that amazing. The astronomy has so many amazing things.
ReplyDeleteHeng Shen
ASTR 152
Hello professor,I am Maria Figueroa and I am part of your Astro 152 online class. All your blogs provide interesting information and this one was definitely one of them. After reading this blog I found really
ReplyDeleteinteresting the fact that As the universe expands, the light waves are stretched such that the luminosity due to them is diminished. Another thing that really impressed me was that there are four robust observational results that clearly show that the universe began with an extreme hot state and expanding for past 13.6 billion years. This is amazing. Overall, this is great information that definitely helped me expand my knowledge.
Maria Figueroa
Hello Prof,
ReplyDeleteCreation is a very "iffy" topic. From religion to science, people will believe and have faith in what they want too. It is nice to see that the universe has been a topic for ages, and that there are more discoveries to this day due to today's technologies. What surprises me is that we can consider the universe as growing and not really infinite; maybe infinitely growing is a better term. The fact that light has not reached us yet from stars and galaxies far away astounds me. I wonder when will they actually reach us, since they have already been there.
Kristoffer Villabroza
ASTR 152
Wow professor,
ReplyDeleteVery interesting concepts. I really like how the idea of the "center of the universe" is used to put into perspective what is actually happening to the galaxy. I recently watched the movie Interstellar last night, and a lot of these same concepts were referenced. I also find the comparison fascinating of the Big Bang and the "Let there be light" phrase from the bible. Very similar.
Robert Levy
ASTR 152
Katherine Garay
ReplyDeleteAST 152 online
Hi professor, this was a very interesting blog. The origin of the universe is a fascinating topic to study. It's amazing how much scientists have discovered until now, and there's still much more to discover! Today, I'm glad to have learned that the night sky is dark because the universe was created in the past and expanding ever since.
Sarine Mirzakhanian
ReplyDeleteAST 152 online
I enjoyed reading this blog. I learned that every point in the universe could be the center. If the Universe existed forever and if we extended it to infinity, the entire sky would be glowing because of the density of the stars and the galaxies which are hearing the entire interstellar. (Matter over past infinity time). Also I learned that the light stretches in the universe as it expands. I didn’t know that all empty spaces in the universe is cooled down to -455 F (2.3 k). The amount of light elements containing hydrogen, helium, and lithium, are the life of the universe, and this has started in the first few minutes of the birth of our universe.
The universe is an ongoing species. I can imagine all the new things we'll learn along the years. This makes me wonder, will scientists ever be completely done, studying what is in the sky? This amazes me.
ReplyDeleteAllan Chan
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
I find it to be very amazing to finally know the reason for our sky being so dark. For many years I've looked into it thinking the sky is a dark purple; however, I never questioned it for a second. I personally thought the universe had stopped growing and remained constant. The darkness of the sky showing that we are growing as a universe is very intriguing
The universe concept is very interesting topic not for astronomers but regular people. There was always paradox about whether universe is finite or infinite for decades. The most interesting part is how the scientists, such as Edwin Hubble measured the apparent brightness of each star in galaxy and found out by equation and limited technology in 1920s that the universe is expanding.
ReplyDeleteLike everyone has been saying, I never knew the universe can expands. I always thought this was just a saying. But now I can definitely do more researches about the universe. It's very interesting knowing the "darkest part of the sky". This topic made me think about how big the universe is and there are still so much more we still need to learn about out there.
ReplyDeleteIt is very intriguing that the universe is expanding! I had no idea that there was light that hasn't reached us and that the luminosity of the light is being diminished by the stretching universe. I didn't know that the hydrogen, helium, and lithium were produced in the first few minutes of the universe’s existence. It is amazing that we have been able to discover what we already know about the universe. I hope i am around to see many more discoveries of our universe.
ReplyDeleteCindy A
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Interesting to read that the universe came to exist as an compact, dense and hot object about 13.6 billion years ago. I also never knew that the empty space in the sky is cooled to about -455F. The universe is such an intriguing topic. Thank you for sharing.
This blog really had me thinking about the life of the universe which we live in. It has been around for 13.6 billion years and still going to strong. I learned that the universe is constantly expanding all the time. There are always new things that we can learn from it. I love hearing about all the new discoveries that are made and can't wait to see what the future holds!
ReplyDeleteElisha Siem
Ast 152
It is amazing to think that the universe is constantly growing and expanding. The telescopes and tools that we have developed to explore the vast universe has given us much more information than we had many years ago when we relied on stories to explain the unknown. However the way you ended this weeks lecture it truly something that we all go back to wonder and that is who created this creation? “God created the heavens and the Earth”, So much for learn and yet never really know all the answers. Thank you for another thought provoking lecture.
ReplyDeleteAlexander Weiss
Astr 152
Hello professor,
ReplyDeleteLearning about the creation and origin of the universe really had me very fascinated. It's interesting to think of this and now so many other questions are arising. I can't wait to see what else scientists and professionals discover for the distant, but bright future.
Nancy Moreno
ReplyDeleteAstr 152 OL
I like this article because it talks about how the universe and what it began to be like. The world is constantly growing and the stars is our light to new destinations. The “center” can be claimed anywhere in the planet, and makes me think about how everything got started. I didn’t know how cold it was in space. The temperature in the dark sky is -445 F, which is unbelievable to be seen as true. The world is constantly moving, expanding, and learning new ways to reach new adventures. I like how this blog discussed the importance of how the world is so huge, and is never ending.
David Reyes
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
This article really opens ones mind about the universe. A couple sentences i found interesting were that anything can really be at the center of the universe, and also the fact that an empty space in the universe is at -455F. Really makes ones wonder how much we really do know about our universe, the universe being around the times its been, how much do we really know our universe.
I find it amazing about how much we do know about the universe and how it was created. But it is so crazy to know that there is so much we don't know. this blog was filled with interesting facts about space. i can't believe its -445 F or that any point in the universe can claim to be the center. i like the way you ended the lecture with quotes about creation. it is such a controversial topic.
ReplyDeletethank you again for the another interesting and informative blog.
Melanie Leyva
ASTR 152
Its interesting to think about the world being in constant expansion. So since the universe is constantly expanding, does that mean that there is an expanse in time and it will reach its limit that will then in turn make the expanding universe reach its limit?
ReplyDeleteKelly McGiffney
ASTR 152
This article was one of my favorites because of how in depth it goes about how the universe began and how there are different interpretations of it such as how the "center" can be different to different locations and opinions. Its interesting that the universe is constantly expanding and changing from over 13 billion years ago. Its interesting to see how much more the universe will change in my lifetime.
ReplyDeleteHello Professor,
ReplyDeleteAfter reading your article, I found it interesting how you stated the universe would extend to infinity and would not expand the entire sky, which would consist of stars and galaxies heating up the interstellar matter if it existed forever. I never would have thought the universe would be so bright if this were to actually occur.
Astronomy 152
ReplyDeleteThe universe is so amazing and it's crazy to find out about how it was created. I was unaware that the universe had the ability to expand. Its interesting to learn that we are at th
Erika Piña
ReplyDeleteAstr. 152
I enjoy how the article goes in depth with the creation of the universe. After reading this article, I found it amazing that the first date of the universe was extremely hot. Also, that galaxies near our universe move slower than the galaxies far away.
The universe is hard for me to comprehend how vast and amazing it truly is. Thank you again for a great blog post.
ReplyDeleteHmmmm, interesting that any point can be referred to as the center of the universe. My human brain can't quite fathom this concept. I guess if there is no real beginning or end than it would make sense that any point can be the center of the universe, which is actually kind of empowering because it makes you realize that you are at the center of the universe. Fun stuff.
ReplyDeleteHeng Shen
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
I am very enjoy to read your blog! I really think the universe is amazing. I love your own experiences. Thank you so much!
The Universe is an amazing place.
ReplyDeleteIn the beginning you mentioned the center, would you be able to argue that the center is our main center in our domain existence
ReplyDeleteThis lecture reminds me of the theory that the universe is ceaseless, without beginning or end, that it's a series of big bangs/big crunches with billions of years of expansion in between. I believe that Hindu mythology has a similar system where the universe is an endless cycle of creation and destruction without a first creation or final destruction.
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting that nearly all the blogs are related to a religious sense!
ReplyDeleteSuch big questions like the ones about the beginning of time, the expansion of the universe, the moving away of galaxies, Einstein's predictions, and others are always fun to read about. It's very engaging to read about such matters in these little extracts. You mentioned the creation of the universe about 13.6 billion years ago as a hot dense object which is now expanding. I thought that of course the tools and scientific discoveries we now have at our disposal help to make more precise conclusions. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteReally interesting that humans were able to find the temperature of how cold it really is in outer space.
ReplyDeleteSelena Dang
ASTR 152
Emmeli Tomth (Astro Online Fall 2016)
ReplyDeleteAll scientific facts of today points to the big bang. That 13.6 billion years ago time began and the universe was created. But what happened before time? Was there nothing? Us humans, at least many of us, like to think that life goes on for eternity, that lives goes on in one form or another after the precent physical life we are living right now. But what if its true that big bang came first and there is nothing to be found before that. No time means no life. That though is hard for me to coup with.
Astronomy is such a unique science in the sense of that its a gateway between something so precise and mathematic but also so theological in a way sense it makes us all think about our own existence and the meaning of life.
As early as in the 1920ties Edwin Hubble was able to discover and calculate the result that far away galaxies move away from us, imagine what we will know in another hundred years. Thank you for another very informative yet thought evoking lecture!.
It is amazing to figure out and know that the big bang started the universe. It would be interesting to know what was before that, and how it was different. What I liked about was Einstein’s predictions were on point and had knowledge about our galaxies moving in different directions. What I had forgotten about was the 13.6 billion years that had created the living matter including us. The many stars and galaxies that have been formed has made us appreciate the importance of our universe. I really enjoy reading your lectures, since they are always interesting to read about.
ReplyDeleteEdward Rodriguez
Astro 152
Fall 2016
In the beginning of this blog you mentioned that truly any point could claim to be the center of the universe, and that is actually very interesting. The universe is always growing and expanding and it will be interesting to see the new discoveries that will be made in my life time.
ReplyDeleteThe question asked in this lecture that stood out to me said, “Why is the night sky dark?”. The galaxy could be bright, but learning that the universe has not reached a lot of light yet, it means that it has not yet expanded fully from when it was first created. It’s very fascinating to learn more about the creation because my curiosity comes into play when I read about this. Over the years there have been many great people such as Edwin Hubble and Penzias & Wilson from Bell laboratories who work hard in order to learn more about our galaxy and the many more that are out there, and who knows who might be the next person to make a new discovery.
ReplyDeleteThis blog post really made me think. It is hard to believe that while I am typing this the universe is expanding. It is amazing that we are able to know that the universe was a hot and dense object about 13.6 billion years back.
ReplyDeleteProfessor,
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting that our universe is always expanding, even if slowly. I also find it interesting that you referenced the Bible slightly, seeing as though the Bible has passages that speak about the expansion of the universe, like Isaiah 42:5, for example. This is a very interesting article, thank you.
Christa Griffiths
ASTR 152 ONLINE (Fall 2016)
Our lives seem so short when comparing it to the age of the universe, our 100 years has nothing on the span of the universe. Great lecture.
ReplyDeleteBrenton Filipi
Astr 152
The modern scientifc story is quite interesting. I find that religion and the universe differ greatly, but can still come together that makes sense such as the universe. The expansion of the universe has so many stories behind it and is mysterious.
ReplyDeleteASTR152
Maggie Chong
I find it interesting how the world is so tiny compared to the whole universe. In our lifetime we only get to see and live such a small portion of our earth, which really makes me think about the insignificance we really have as human beings.
ReplyDeleteI didn't understand that the universe is continually extending, and that the cosmic systems are moving in various bearings. I enjoyed your clarification utilizing the trees as a part of the forrest! It is mind blowing that the universe began to a great degree hot and thick, it is crazy to the point that we can occupy the earth and visit space with such a large number of questions still.
ReplyDeleteIt was very interesting to know that the universe has to expand or else there will just be light from the stars and glowing due to the dense stars. It was also interesting to know that when the universe expands, the light waves are stretched such that the luminosity due to them is diminished. great blog post!
ReplyDeleteChristina Tran
AST152 Online (Fall 2016)
It's interesting to know that the universe is expanding, yet we are just a little speck in the universe. How did it start off as a dense, compact, hot object and turn into this huge thing that holds life. The vastness of our universe makes me think that there is no way we are the only living things in this universe.
ReplyDeleteThis is so fascinating. Prior to reading this blog, I was completely unaware of the reality of our universe expanding. Additionally, the 13.6 billion year age of this ever-evolving universe is so mind-blowing. Only experiencing approximately 100 and many times, less than that, years in this universe makes time seem so precious. In comparison to the lifespan of the universe, we only have such a short amount of time to make a difference and leave an impact.
ReplyDeleteAshley Jackson
FALL 2016
ASTR152 ONLINE
I find it so interesting that the universe is ever expanding. It is strange to picture the universe as a small dense object. Now it is massive and ever expanding. It is a concept that is hard to imagine.
ReplyDeleteJacqueline Anderson
ASTR 152
It is so interesting that the universe continues to expand. Due to this expansion, the the night sky is dark because the light waves are stretched which cause their luminosity to diminish. It feels good to finally understand why the night sky is so dark even though there are millions to billions of stars in space. I know science continues to disprove that God created the universe, but I would like to believe that because the stars, the planet, the comets and we are created so perfectly there had to be a higher power who was in control of all this perfection and what a coincidence that we are all connected by being made up of the same material. I am pretty sure the greatest scientist in the world have come to an agreement that these objects had to have been created by a higher being beyond our understanding. I think that is the ultimate question people have been asking. Is there a God and did he/she create the universe? The universe has been around for 13.6 billion years, anything is possible!
ReplyDeleteIxtla Montanez
ASTR 152 Online
Fall 2016
I think it is really interesting how the universe is centered and how it grows so much through the years. Our world looks so small compare to the universe.
ReplyDeleteI keep visualizing how cool it would be if the universe extended to infinity and didnt expand how stunning the sky would be glowing all around.
ReplyDeleteThank you Professor Choudhary for another interesting lecture post!
ReplyDeleteWow, what an interesting topic. I never really took a moment to think about why the night sky is dark. I just assumed that since the sun sets and is no longer glowing on us is why the sky turns dark. But now it makes sense to me. The universe is still expanding and is actually dark.
Celina Carpina
ASTR 152
Fall Online 2016
I've always heard of the universe expanding. I always thought of it to be a myth. After reading this blog I was stunned to know it is not a myth and in fact is true. I'm curious to know what else lies in our universe in which we are not aware? Interesting...
ReplyDeleteTerrel Guliford
ASTR 152
I had never known any of the specifics of the big bang, other than the fact that it was the beginning of our universe. I had no idea why the sky remained dark, and I had no idea that there could be three outcomes of our universe. Once again you've lifted the veil of mystery and have helped me in understanding out universe a bit more
ReplyDeleteHaley Blevins
ASTR 152
Since a young age we are taught that the big bang theory is the best way we can explain how our universe began. It is very pleasing and fulfilling to now more deeply understand what truly is going on and how we make these hypothesis.
ReplyDeleteRaymundo Ruvalcaba
astr 152
10/4/16
The stars appearance is getting real important in our life. It is the star that brighten our dark night sky and it also gives beautiful views to look at. And also interesting fact to learn and know that our universe is expanding larger and larger by the time goes on. I would be interesting to know what it would happen when the universe expands to the points it will cause something to our earth.
ReplyDeleteSungjoo Jeon
ASTR 152
Fall 16'
It makes one wonder what was it that happened 13.6 billion years ago to prompt the big bang in the first place. Does that mean that there was nothingness before that? It is hard to conceive that there was a starting point at which all began, and then from that, after billions of years of evolution, us. So that must mean that in older galaxies, where life probably began much sooner, where there are alien races that are ridiculously advanced. The idea that we have been visited by aliens is not so far fetched.
ReplyDeleteKierra Stepteau ASTR 152 Fall
I did not know that it could even get as cold as -455 F! There are extremophiles that are able to inhabit the very coldest and hottest places on our planet, but it is hard to imagine something that is able to endure somewhere that is that cold. The thought that the universe is not only expanding but accelerating is amazing.
ReplyDeleteAshley Stepteau ASTR 152 Fall
Thank you for your lecture blog this week! Learning about the universe is ever expanding is really complex and makes you think what really is outside in the world right above us. And to really think about your beliefs and how this corresponds with others really brings out a lot of questions.
ReplyDeleteGalaxies have always fascinated me and how they came about and even the reasoning behind their existence. There will always be the questions of 'how?' and 'what if?' and the amazing part is that those questions seemingly never get answered. The universe is so fascinating and never-ending. The vast space in the universe is incredible and even in 100 years we will still be coming up with new theories and questions to ask.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Riley Conlan
I never realized how the universe stretches. but I have always been interested in the universe. and I always would wonder why the universe is dark. but I just thought it was just dark because the moon covered the sun.
ReplyDeleteDAJEION MYERS
ASTR 152
Thinking about the boundaries of this universe is insane. It is quite crazy to think that we will never know or ever come close to reaching the boundaries of this universe. Space is such an unreal mystery that leaves me kinda scared, questioning all existence. This information does put a couple things into perspective now.
ReplyDeleteElias Orona
ASTR 150
Samantha Mejia
ReplyDeleteFall 2016
Astronomy 152
It's so interesting that galaxies closer to us move at a slower rate than the ones further away. I also didn't know intense compact hot light clumped and converted into mater was how our universe came into existence.
The blog post was very interesting. I never considered the universe to be continually expanding, however, it makes a lot of sense. Considering the galaxies are so widely distributed and that they continue to go further out. The most intriguing thing I noted was the intense fire produced matter and suddenly extinguished as the light clumped and converted into matter. I believe religion can still coexist with the factual evidence of the creation of the universe.
ReplyDeleteIt’s hard to imagine the world starting off and being something completely different than what is today. And it’s even more mind boggling to think that in another billion years it will most likely be something completely different and other people will identify it and maybe explain it in other ways.
ReplyDelete-Diana Felix ASTR 152
This blog as all have said before is fascinating to think the universe is continuously expanding takes a couple decades for the light to reach us on earth, which is insane. I very much enjoyed the comparisons made of the universe to the various trees creating a thick forest. It is also very interesting to learn that the universe started with a hot state and has been expanding for the past 13.6 billion years. Also, the fact that all empty space in the sky is cooled to about -455 F. The amount of light elements containing hydrogen, helium, and lithium, are the life of the universe.
ReplyDeleteCELINNE HERNANDEZ Astr152
As reading the last paragraph and having thought of it some times in the past, I wondered how all the Christian including me would do when the scientific facts on how the earth was created is discovered and announced to public. Those facts will surely be discovered sooner or later. My guess is that those could be hidden by Roman Catholicity to make sense of what bible says because the catholicity has such an enormous power. It might have been a fail for whoever wrote and passed the bible on to next to not knowing much of the existence of the universe; only some facts about the universe were stated in the bible. Anyway I hope the scientific facts will be found by the time I die!
ReplyDeleteYour question on why the night sky is dark is something I asked myself as well when I was younger, so that small line was something that I was able to relate too. The interesting piece I found in this that I didnt know about was the information fuond in 1976 by Penzias and Wilson that space is cooled to -455 F/2.3K. I also found it interesting that you mentioned the distruptions of Galaxies how they work.
ReplyDeleteHenry Lamas
ASTR
*ASTR 152
DeleteKathy Aguilar
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
This post was really interesting I enjoyed learning that the universe is expanding! Cool to know about the disruptions of galaxies as well , so much info professor I'm glad I took this course!!
Ryan Schlup ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteVery Interesting blog once again. I enjoyed the fact that we have yet to experience light from the start of the universe since it is ever expanding. Thank you for the clarification on why the night sky is dark. It is amazing to think that one of the oldest questions asked since man has yet to have a concrete answer.
As I read your lecture, I came to realize that I asked most of these same questions just in a different way. When you say that everywhere is the center of the universe, that is so true. With space constantly expanding, it is no wonder that the sky is black because with so much space, everything is so spread out. I always find your lectures interesting and always go into them with an open mind.
ReplyDeleteChristopher Posada
ASTR 152
This was an interesting read and I find myself always learning something new. I'm glad that universe is expanding and that we are able to see the sky how we do. We wouldn't be able to enjoy star filled nights and witness all the great things that we have learned about the cosmos.
ReplyDeleteOne of the biggest statements that stood out from this blog was how the universe was created at some point of time in the pst and expanding ever since. Our perception of the galaxy is so mysterious because of how vast it is. Like the blog said a lot of the light has not reached us because of how vast it is. It started with an extreme hot state and expanding for past 13.6 billion years. It all started as a compact, dense, and hot object.
ReplyDeleteThis blog post was very interesting because we it's sort of a mystery how long the universe has to expand. Like is it infinite? It's cool to think about how mysterious the universe is and how we're still learning about it today.
ReplyDeleteTien Ho
ASTR 152
Katie Rosa ATRONOMY 152 Online
ReplyDeleteI knew that the universe was huge but, I never knew that it was expanding! That was really surprising. I honestly believed that the universe is just there and we just need to discover more. The example of the trees helped me understand the expansion. It is also amazing to finally find out why the sky is black. No one has ever told me that, just why it is blue in the day. The black sky was simply just a fact without a question. We always think we know enough but, there is a large amount of the universe that still needs to discovered and explained.
Yessenia Gramajo
ReplyDeleteAstr 152/ Spring 2017
I find it very interesting how we have not really experienced light from the start of the universe since the universe is always expanding. It makes me question if we will ever get to know everything there is to know and discover about the universe itself. It makes me wonder how the universe will be in another billion years and it is weird to think that they will discover different things than we have. It will be an entirely different world and I’m not sure if that is a good or a bad thing. So many questions arose with all this information. Great informative article!
I enjoyed reading this lecture it had a lot of intriguing information. I dont understand how any point in the universe can claim to be the center but it is an interesting concept that i will research about. Another question i have is how did Edwin Hubble measure the speed of the galaxies? It is amazing how we are able to decipher the age of the universe.
ReplyDeleteHi professor,
ReplyDeleteI think it is very interesting that we are able to measure empty space, cold is really the absence of heart so when saying that the temperature of the empty space in the sky is -455 F it is very interesting to think about.
Talya Joffe
CSUN
Spring 17
ASTR 152
ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteThis is something interesting to learn that our galaxy is expanding and has been expanding for a very long time. It makes me wonder how much more will it keep expanding? I like how you added a verse from the bible because these types of things in astrology can be related to what the bible says.
La Vonne Centeno
ReplyDeleteAstr 152/Spring 17
It is interesting to me that the universe has been active and expanding for 13.6 billion years. For this long period of time, there has been many activities that has been revolving within the universe. It is also shocking of what the universe consists of. I wonder, since it continues to expand, where else is it getting the additional particles, how so, and will it ever stop?
Professor,
ReplyDeleteIf the universe continues to expand, will new planets form? Will the milky way overtake other galaxies? I'm assuming they are too far apart for this to happen. Its safe to say that the universe grows like every living thing does, so what if the universe does not stop growing? Will that have a negative impact on Earth or the universe as a whole?
Alexis Alvarez
Hi Professor,
ReplyDeleteThis blog got me really thinking. I have learned that the night sky is dark because the universe is expanding. It is good to know that the universe has been expanding for 13.6 billion years. The two quotes on the bottom relating to religion and science were an interesting way to end the lecture.
Natalie Bedrosian
Astr 152
This was a great read. It was interesting to learn that the universe has been always been expanding. 13.6 billion years is a long time.
ReplyDeleteGood Afternoon Professor
ReplyDeleteAs always your lecture was interesting and informational. I never knew that our universe kept expanding all the way back to 13.6 billion years ago.
It is very unbelievable to know how the universe was created. I use to think that it just appeared like magic, there are so many thing about space that I never considered until now. Like I always thought that the sun was the only hot object besides comet and asteroids, that actually had high temperatures.
ReplyDeleteELizabeth Escareno
Sp 17
Astro 152
Yekaterina Melnik, Astronomy 152 Online, Spring Semester 2017
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting to learn more in depth about how the Universe is expanding, it is interesting that when everything was bundled together it was in a “extreme hot state”, I could imagine all of the bright stars the sky had during that era on Earth, the sky must have been so luminous.
Dominic Teran
ReplyDeleteASTRONOMY 152 ONLINE
I never realized that any determined place can really be the center of our universe. This is due to the fact that I was told that the sun was the center of our universe ever since I began learning about space. I like the idea that the older the universe is, the more things sprout from it: such as the light from stars, nebulas and other celestial bodies you spoke about. I also like how you spoke about the religious views on how light was created as it shows that many conclusions can be made about how the universe was made.
Alejandra Mora
ReplyDeleteAsrto 152
It is very interesting how there can be a correlation between the universe and religion. There seems to be a connection to everything. The time since the universe has been expanding is fascinating!
Soraya Gomez
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
The galaxy is constantly growing and if it didn't grow then the sky night sky would be too bright. I'ts interesting to think about how the universe started off. At first it was small and then it eventually started expanding.
Its amazing to know that our universe is still expanding. Its really amazing how people invented technologies to figure out whats in the universe and all the details about it.
ReplyDeleteThe beginning of your blog is relevant to all children, once we grow we start to ask question. Just recently my little brother asked a question concerning science and religion. It is interesting to see when children begin to form their own thoughts and questions. It is interesting to read how the universe was created, but it is still so vast and complex that we do not know everything about it. I did find it amazing that the distribution of galaxies could be traced. This is when science and religion come face to face, and it depends on the person to accept which perspective. The science behind light is complex, but in religion “God said, let there be light”. This was very interesting to read.
ReplyDeleteJuliana De La Pena
Astr 152
Hi Professor,
ReplyDeleteIt's surprise to understand the process of how universe start its life and how it goes. The expanding universe is also changed my feeling about my quiet surrounding. It is hard to image how everything expanding now in the universe, it is still cool and interesting, though.
Yang Liu
Astr 152
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteI think it is so interesting how you mentioned that if the universe existed forever, the sky would always glow. It caught me off guard that a lot of light has not reached us yet since our universe continues to expand! The information provided about the galaxies moving in different directions was also very interesting! The example about the tree in the forest was very helpful. These interpretations behind the phrases in the Bible contain so much information, and I am glad I got to expand my understanding through this post!
Thank you,
-Ren
Eleonor Navarro ASTR 152-16522-Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteProfessor,
It's always fascinating to learn about how our universe began. We started from nothing and now we are ever expanding. Scientists are constantly doing research about what we already don't know about our universe, but if we are ever expanding, then there are infinite possibilities to discover every single day we expand and grow. I find that amazing because there's always something new to learn about in science. Our knowledge of the universe will continue to grow as the universe itself grows, as well.
Carlos Murillo
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 Online
It's amazing to think that we know more than what people did 50 years ago. It really is a privilege to learn and to understand, but at the same time it should be a right for everyone, so they too can understand and learn about our universe, about a large variety of things.
After reading this article I found an interesting fact that the empty space in these sky is uniformly cooled to about -475F. This means that the expanding of the unvierse in the past was more dense and compact. I didn't know that we can trace the distribution of galaxies into groups and mega groups. I really enjoyed this article.
ReplyDeleteI knew about the universe first existing in a hot state, but never knew that the sky would be glowing if the universe wasn't expanding. It's good to know humans continue to place extreme importance on learning about the universe, as it is necessary for our own enrichment.
ReplyDeleteJessica Levin Samarscova
ASTR 152 Spring 2017
Bertini Nguyen
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 Spring 2017
It's interesting how you put in the verses from there respective religion to tie in religion and science to how our world came to be. What did happen to our universe? Was it just placed in our world? Or was it like the other verse says it was unknown? Scientists theorized about the big bang and what really happened, but that is just a theory. At the same time it seems with every passing day the theory is closer to the truth than we think.
Hello Professor
ReplyDeleteAnother great blog post it is amazing to know that the universe continues to expand and it only shows how everything is well connected. Which to me is amazing because one never stops learning about the universe.
Megan Perez
ASTR 152 online
Spring 2017
This was another interesting blog post. First and foremost, I enjoy reading how you developed your interests through your personal experiences. I never knew that the universe was still expanding every day even if it is little by little. Thank you for this informative blog post!
ReplyDeleteAngella Dijamco
ASTR 152 ( Online )
Spring 2017
Kevin Whitmarsh
ReplyDeleteASRT 152 OL
Spring 2017
I know it has been questioned more than once before whether the Big Bang was the real start to the universe. Being the way that I am, I must question it myself. After having learned so many things that we as humans thought to be true, and now know differently (e.g. "the earth is flat"), we can't help but wonder whether the Big Bang is a myth that we have been giving credit for no reason. Although it is the most evidential explanation that there is, you still can't help but wonder.
Cristian Gil 152 Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteI have many questions if the universe i expanding what is beyond the space the universe occupies? What are the limits? If there are limits what is containing it? These are the questions that have no answers and it really makes me wonder about creation here on earth.
The priest that would tell you one god is the center of the universe must not have heard that the sun was the center of the universe. From watching the Big Bang theory I’ve learned that the universe is always expanding. Your explanation using the trees in the forest helped to clear things up a bit. The way the universe came to be is quite fascinating. Even more so is that earth is one of, if not the only, places to have life. I think that as much of an accident that the big bang was, so was the life that is here on earth.
ReplyDeleteMahrum Arya Zahiri
Astr152 Spring 2017
100859250
It was interesting to discover theories based on the creation of our universe which dates back to approximately 13 billion years ago. The idea of darkness expanded through our universe results from the absence of light in the majority of space as it takes time to expand and travel across our infinite universe. It is impossible to determine how big our universe is but we can conclude that we are a tiny fraction compared to the size of galaxies in space. The stories that you shared concerning the center of the universe are interesting as it cites the different cultural perspectives about the creator of the universe. Many people believe their gods are responsible for all life on Earth while other people take on a more scientific explanation regarding the creation of our celestial bodies and the wonders beyond the human race as we know it.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know that the hydrogen, helium, and lithium were produced in the first few minutes of the universe’s existence. I also didn't know that the universe which we live in has been around for 13.6 billion years. The origin of the universe is a fascinating topic to study. There seems to be different areas that can be studied and researched and this could help us understand even more about the universe. I find myself always learning something new through these lectures.
ReplyDeleteI find these blogs to be very informative and it is great to read because we get to become informed but from a different perspective. I also think it is crazy how our earth has been around so long.
ReplyDeleteYou say we know the universe came to be 13.6 billion years ago, but I take the terms “we know” very lightly. I do not doubt science and the discoveries that have led us the information we know today, but there is so much to know that I do not believe we actually know. It scares me because are we ever going to really know. Galaxies expanding are filling the empty space in our universe. How much will they expand? Will there be life in other parts of the universe besides earth? More discoveries lead to more unanswered questions.
ReplyDeleteCristina Zakaryan
Astr 152 OL Spring 2017
Sebastian Artola
ReplyDeleteASTR OL
What? The universe began as a very hot space, over 13.6 billion years? Who knew? Jokes aside, that is pretty crazy. Hubble and Einstein's inclusion and contribution is pretty important, I believe. While there isn't much to this blog as the other ones, the story of how the universe came to be is both important and entertaining!
-455 F in the empty space! that is crazy! It's also crazy to believe that the universe could be expanding, a little hard to even wrap my head around. Very interesting read and makes me sit back a little and think about everything you're telling us.
ReplyDeleteI’ve always found it funny that no matter where, science, politics, or anything related, always assume that they are always superior to than the entire world. Where it’s thinking that universe revolved around us or countries thinking that only they are the most gifted and run the world. I could not imagine a world that only day existed and there was never such thing as natural night light. I’d be very upset because I’d never be able to just sleep without having anything interfere.
ReplyDeleteAbigail Garcia
Astr152 Spring 2017
I really enjoyed this blogpost and learning about the universe. The most fascinating thing that I learned is that the galaxy has been and continues to expand! That is just insane to think about.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
i like how you tie facts in with religious sayings because in the end they tie together.
ReplyDeleteIts crazy to think about the galaxy expanding even more. As it is, it is very big and I can't picture it to get any brighter. Its also crazy how at night it is dark and during day their is light.
ReplyDeleteEmery Hernandez
ASTR 152 Online
Spring 2017
ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing how religion and astronomy can interrelate into one another. The creation of the earth correlates with religion and other religious beliefs of different cultures.
Its crazy knowing that our universe is still expanding. These blogs make me want to know so much more about the universe.
ReplyDeleteReligion is a great concept which allows us to describe things that are difficult to understand. The many different theories for our creation and each one gives us the option to explore and look more! Great post.
ReplyDelete-Anthony Martires (ASTRO 152)
I love how this blog was written as with all the other previous blogs. It is very informative and insightful and brings the reader back to the big concept towards the end. I love the ending "And God said, let there be light."
ReplyDeleteThis blog is interesting. I like stars a lot. i remember when i was a child, i can see a lot of stars but now may be because of pollution, it is hard to see stars. I am looking forward to know more stars in this class. Yiting Wu
ReplyDeleteAstr 152 Online Summer 2017
The thing that stood out the most to me in this post was the temperature of space being -455 F. It also was interesting to learn that the Earth is always expanding.
ReplyDeleteAmber Daoud
ASTR 152 Summer Online 2017
Thank you for writing this blog. I had always thought that the universe stayed the same size; however I soon learned that it is constantly expanding. I like that you talked about the discoveries of Edwin Hubble and Einstein. I learned that 13.6 billion years ago the universe was a dense and super hot place. I also learned that it is -455 degrees F in the sky. It is crazy that a lot of the light has not reached us yet since the universe is expanding.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth Luna
Astr 152
Summer 2017
I love that in the end you gave a nod to religion because I have so many questions regarding that. I am not super religious but I've always wondered how science fit into it. Even though you didn't answer any of my questions you also didn't say any one person was wrong. Everyone sees thing in a different way. Religious people have faith and scientists have facts and hypothesis'. While one may be more reliable it's still a valid question as to how that explosion happened. I am not saying it was God but I am saying maybe we will never know. These are all pretty much theories at this point because we weren't there.
ReplyDeleteRayleen Silva
ASTR152-- Summer 2017
At each point in time, man looked back on history and thought they were the most advanced humans. While they were correct that they were more advanced than humans of the past, somehow we continue to advance, which bringing us here to today. We always think that this is about as advanced as it'll get but we keep growing and advancing. We have made so many discoveries within the last century, imagine what kind of technology and discoveries will evolve over the next century, and the century after that. We as humans will never stop advancing and learning about the universe, even if it is hard to imagine how much further we will go.
ReplyDeleteHeather Friedman
ASTR152 Summer 2017
What intrigued me the most was how my upbringing involved a lot of words such as "created" when it came to the universe even though I always knew there was a science side to things. To read your post about the universe coming to be through intense fire that produced matter and extinguished while light is condensed and converted into matter, and later clouds of matter collapsing to become stars and galaxies and illuminating the universe (again) puts my mindset right back into perspective.
ReplyDeleteElia Narvaez
ASTR 152 (Online) Summer 2017
Thinking about how the universe started is very scary because it just proves that were just a speck of dust in space. There are so many things out there that we don't know about and its in human nature to be afraid of what we don't understand. I wonder how close everything was when the universe was first created if we are this far apart now. That would be a very interesting image to see.
ReplyDeleteNazenie Parsamyan
ASTR 152 (Online) Summer 2017
When i think of the creation of the universe, it is hard to wrap my head around it. Where did everything come from? How did it get here? I enjoyed reading your blog post because it gave me a better understanding of its origin. The galaxy seemingly coming from "intense fire" is very interesting. Everything was created at some point, and to be just finding out more information of something that happened 13.6 billion years ago proves how much we still do not know about our universe.
ReplyDeleteI am not a religious person. Growing up, I was never really exposed to religious or spiritual views. I have always believed in science. The creation of the universe will always baffle me, but it has been interesting to hear the stories you heard growing up. If you think about it, the 1920s was such a revolutionary time for man. It has only really been 100 years since we have made substantial discoveries about the universe. There is still so much that we don't know. I can't wait to see what we uncover next in the future.
ReplyDeleteShayla Mayers
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
When I think of the universe to be continuously expanding, it seems like a surreal idea because the natural progression of living things is birth, life, and death. For the universe, it seems to defy this ubiquitous fact. The universe has a beginning, yet the universe doesn't necessarily die. It's even more humbling to think that the night sky could be much brighter if the universe stopped expanding. It makes me wonder. What would our night sky look like if the universe stopped expanding? How would that affect our productivity as human beings? It's also interesting to note lithium and helium were the primary components that heated the universe solid matter. After 13.6 billion years, the spaces between the stars have temperatures as low as -455 F. While science has made fantastic discoveries about the universe, religion continues to be a huge factor to how the universe was created.
ReplyDeleteJulius Loredo
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
I've always thought it was important to look back at historic texts for information about science. I believe it is too overlooked at times. I can also see how it would trouble people. very interesting article. A lot to think about.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 Summer 2017
Bianca Schutt
It's interesting to learn about our universe and how the universe has been expanding for the past 13.6 billion years. It makes it difficult for us to explore our universe where parts of the universe may never reach since it keeps expanding.
ReplyDeleteJasmine Ulloa
ASTR 152 Online Summer 2017
It is interesting how we can use scientific methods to learn more about the universe billions of years ago. I am interested to learn more about how radiation can help explain the distribution of galaxies in the distant past. There is so much more to learn about our universe.
ReplyDeleteKathryn Munster
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
Andrea Cuba ASTR 152 SUMMER 2017
ReplyDeleteHello Professor, thanks again for this post! In this post, I learned of all the different instruments that we use today in order to come up with distances, measurements and other characteristics of planets and stars far away. I find it fascinating that these instruments were made so long ago and that we use these methods to this day.
it is amazing how is the universe is still expanding and that empty space is -455 F that is crazy low. and how by modern tools we can still measure everything in the universe.
ReplyDeleteABDULAZIZ ALMURAD
ASTR 152 SUMMER 2017
Yasaman Khani
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
This blog post is making me think what was before this hot explosion happened to create the universe? It's amazing how modern astronomy and science has been able to depict this far but there is always more and more questions and mysteries to be solved.
It is hard to know how far the universe would expand and what would happen in the universe after expand. This blog is interesting and let me think about the universe a lot.
ReplyDeleteYiting Wu
Astr 152 Online
Summer 2017
I was told in the past that there were some lights that had not reached us on earth, but I did not pay much attention to it before. If the universe is ever expanding, than I believed that the entire universe can never be mapped accurately. Distances can change as well as positioning.
ReplyDeleteThank you,
Daniel Kwon
ASTR 152 Summer 2017