The Home Galaxy
Debi Prasad Choudhary
Los Angeles, 11/2/2014
The river Ganges that flows from Himalayas to Bay of Bengal,
actually originate in heaven. After washing the feet of the God, she descends
on earth, using the head of another powerful god Siva as launching pad. The
band of light that is spectacularly visible in rural sky is the heavenly
portion of this sacred river called “Akas Ganga” “Ganges in the sky”. Without
asking too many questions as to how is it sustained or will it fall down etc.,
I looked at this band of light in my childhood with great curiosity. Much
civilization from ancient time looked at this band of light with utter amazement
and constructed stories extending their local culture. The Greeks called it
“milky circle” and Romans “milky road” or “milky way”. It is interesting to note that in India, the
heavenly portion of the imaginary river contained milk!!
From a rural dark sky the Milky Way looks like a long
stretch of light with a dark band in the middle. It was disappointing to see
through a small telescope that this part of the sky is just crowded with stars,
which shattered my imagination of heavenly river. Later in my astronomy class I
learnt that the Milky Way is one of the arm of our galaxy, which has a spiral
shape. The dark lane in the middle is due to the presence of huge dark clouds
with dust that obscures the view.
In early 19th century, Sir William Herschel and
his sister counted stars in 683 directions to figure out the structure of this
object, but only after about one hundred years, Dutch astronomer Jacobus
Kapteyn could determine its size and thickness. In early 20th
century, Harlow Shapley using the telescope in Mt. Wilson observatory in Los
Angeles worked for his PhD thesis to figure out the size of the galaxy and
locate its center. He used the star clusters in our galaxy to locate the
center. There are two types of star clusters in our galaxy. In one of them
stars are loosely scattered, called open clusters, which are mostly found along
the Milky Way. The others are more compact, looks like “meat ball” in the galaxy,
located mostly in the direction of Sagittarius constellation. The open clusters
contain younger stars and some gas, while globular clusters are old and devoid
of gas. The globular clusters are as old as the galaxy, some of which are also
located above and below the galactic plane.
The distance to the globular clusters are measured by using
variable stars, which become dim periodically depending on their original
brightness. These are Cepheid variable stars, which expand and contract due to
build up of heat by electrons from ionized helium. The heating results the
outer envelop of the star expands leading to cooling and contraction. As the
star expands the bigger star becomes more bright compared to the smaller star.
The period of maximum to minimum brightness depend precisely on the original or
initial brightness of the star. So, by detecting the variable period, which is
easier, it is possible to measure the absolute brightness accurately. By
comparing the absolute or real brightness and apparent brightness, the distance
to the star is determined. This is so because the star becomes dimmer by the
square of the distance. If a candle is placed at twice the distance, it looks
dimmer by four times. This technique of determining the distance was found to
be correct when it was applied to the stars located at known nearby distance
that could be measured by simple parallax method.
Now, we know the size and structure of this galaxy in which
we reside. The Milkyway Galaxy is a
“dinner plate” like flat disk with a central budge and a halo that surrounds
the structure. The disk is so big that the light takes 80,000 years to travel
from one side to the other. The sun, and the planets around it, is located at about
two third of the radius of the galaxy from its enter and revolves around it
once in about 250 million years. The galaxy does not rotate like a single rigid
body. The stars at different distance from the center go around with different
speeds, such that the stars nearer move faster than the ones situated at
greater distance. While going around the center of the galaxy, the sun also
swings up and down of the plane of the disk with a period of about 60 million
years. As the sun passes the disk, the reservoir of ice cloud (a comet cloud
known as Oort’s cloud) gets disturbed. This results a shower comets on earth
leading to massive loss of life called “mass extinction”. The dinosaurs are
believed to have extinct due to such an event about 65 million years ago!
The stars are continuously formed from huge clouds of dust
and gas, which are constantly disturbed by the pattern of rotation. The stars
evolve and die and produce new material. New stars are born from ashes of old
stars. This is going on for past 10 to 13 billion years and perhaps will go on
forever, until the existence of the universe.
The motion of stars around the center of our galaxy gives
vital information about the distribution of matter. As the gravitational force
governs the motion of stars around the galaxy, they should follow the pattern
similar as the planets move around the sun. This pattern of motion is called
Keplerian motion that follows the Kepler’s Laws. The measurements show that the
stars very close to the center move as if they are attached rigidly and the
ones far away move faster. This type of motion is possible only if the center
harbors a very massive object and the galaxy is surrounded by enormous amount
of matter. But, neither in the center nor around the galaxy such matter is observed.
We do not see the matter in the galactic center, because it is confined in a
very small space resulting a super massive black hole. The invisibility of the
matter around the galaxy is even a bigger puzzle. Astronomers think that this
invisible matter is indeed dark matter, which interact with visible matter
through gravitational force. Almost 85% of the matter in our galaxy is dark
matter, the properties of which are unknown at this time.
How exactly our galaxy formed? Did the stars got together to
form the galaxy or they were born in the galaxy? What will happen in the end?
These and may other similar questions students of astrophysics constantly ask.
They make ever-bigger telescopes in space and on the ground to search the clues
and test their ideas. One thing is clear. Most of these questions can be
answered using modern physics. All our knowledge about our home galaxy is
gathered only in past 50 to 60 years. If we do not know some thing today, we
will know them soon.
Dear Dr. Choudhary,
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting that that the dark spots in te milky way are just clouds and dirt. I always wondered what was inside the actual milky way. To find out it is just dirt and clouds kind of shatters my imagination just liked you wanted a river I was expecting something else. I'm not sure what I was expecting but not dirt or clouds.
Another thing I liked about this blog is how you confused us on how we measure the stars based off the parallax method and their original brightness. However you connected it all back with the candle example. This was a great blog. Thank you professor.
Sincerely,
Richard Burson
Hello Professor Choudhary,
DeleteAfter reading your blog of the home our galaxy, i found it extremely enlightening to read about the Cepheid variable stars and how they expanded and contracted due to the buildup of heat from the electrons from the ionized helium, from reading the chapter I was confused about this process but reading your blog helped me understand more of this technique ad how the distances of a simple parallax method are revolving around the center of our galaxy!
Liliana Navarro, ASTR 152 Online, Summer 2018
I enjoyed your introduction into the home galaxy because it was very interesting reading about the milky way. I always used to have a fascination about the milky way because thats all I use to want to learn about growing up. Within science there are only a few things that I find intriguing and the milky way is definitely one of them. Furthermore, throughout your blog post I was able to read and learn about things that I was never taught in school. It was cool finding out about the timeline of stars and understanding how they have a big impact on this universe. On the other hand, I used to also wonder about how our galaxy was formed, what will happen in the end, and what will happen if the earth no longer existed.
ReplyDeleteGreat and informative blog post! I enjoyed reading the part of how stars are continuously formed from huge clouds of dust and gas. Which is disturbed of pattern rotation. I learned that new stars are born from the ashes of old stars. Its crazy to think that this has been going for about ten billion years. Astronomers are still learning things about our stars and believe the dark matter is invisible by 85%.
ReplyDeleteI am quite interested in the concept of extinction and how the dinosaurs became extinct, that was a nice addition to the topic. Previously I knew nothing about the milky way just that I have heard it many times before. It is fascinating that it is so huge!
ReplyDelete-Katlin Moody
How insightful! I thought stars being reborn out of old stars ashes was a myth. I was totally wrong. It makes me wonder more about reincarnation.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
~Elizabeth Narayan
Arjun Mudhar ASTR 152OL
ReplyDeleteThe Milky Way is is extremely large in comparison to the size of things on Earth. You noted that it would take 80,000 years to travel from one end to the other. That would take many generations of human beings to complete that journey. That blows my mind because in reality, the Milky Way galaxy is one of many galaxies. There are many questions regarding our galaxy, but curiosity is driving humans to look for answers.
Caitlen Diab ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteThe concept of galaxies has always fascinated me. If we are located in the Milky Way galaxy that is already so large and contains so much, what else is out there? How many other galaxies are out there? Is it an infinite amount? Is there life somewhere in another galaxy somewhere?
I really appreciate this post for it's clear and intelligible way of explaining the beautiful phenomenon that are galaxies.
It is so interesting to me how such a sophisticated formation of stars can have such complex and distinct components. I also wondered that if our solar system rotates around the galaxy every 250 million years and overtime there is a mass loss of life then could there be a possibility of having another mass loss of life once our Earth reaches 250 million years?
ReplyDeleteI appreciate the time you put into giving us a more personal look into the beauty of galaxies.
Yanin Peaches Ortega
ASTR 152 Online
The Milky Way galaxy has always been of interest to me. Every time I think of how massive it is my mind struggles to comprehend the universe. I know there are hundreds of thousand of other galaxies out there. To think that we are in one tiny part of JUST ONE of these galaxies is humbling.
ReplyDelete-Erick Fernandez
Jessica Ovsepian
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
This article is very interesting because it elaborates on the milky way and I remember learning about the milky way in prior classes. I also liked the way the article started off with a story about the milky way galaxy. I find it especially interesting that the disk is so big it would take 80,000 years to travel from one side to the other. Also, it is fascinating that almost 85% of the matter in our galaxy is dark matter, which properties are unknown. I am looking forward to all the new information and discoveries that will be made in the coming years.
It's amazing the things we end up learning about after thinking you know the Milky Way. I find it fascinating the way that the older stars are found in one area while the younger stars are found in another area. It's like separating the adults from the children.
ReplyDeleteI remember discussing the milky way in third grade, I remember my teacher making references to the chocolate bar the Milky way. It is amazing to actually know the science behind it and the astonishing ciharacterteristics. The sky is full of mysteries and I'm glad I am learning pieces of it.
ReplyDeleteI was absolutely amazed to read that almost 85% of our galaxy is dark matter. Not only that but that 85% of matter is unknown. It makes me wonder as to what that dark matter is since most of our galaxy is made of it. I was also shocked to read that stars are born from old ashes of other stars. How is it possible that ash from an old star becomes a new star? Reading this blog made me come up with so many questions and I realized how beautiful the galaxy really is.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this blog, I'm very curious about the Milky Way! So if the Milky Way is actually as big as we say it is, then what else is occurring in the Milky Way? How big is it really? And is there any other kinds of life inside?
ReplyDeleteErika Pina
ReplyDeleteAstr. 152
This reading about the Milky Way is interesting. Since the Milky Way is so big it takes 80,000 years to get light to the other side. The sun and the planets are only located in two thirds of the galaxy. Its so fun learning that galaxy and what is in it or around it.
It is amazing to learn that 85% of the matter in our galaxy is dark matter. Also, it is interesting that the stars are constantly being formed from huge clouds of dust and gas.
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
Melissa Ramirez
It is unbelievable to think of how the process of forming stars has been going on for the last 13 billion years. I also enjoyed reading about how the sun passing by the Milky way galaxy's disk may have been the cause of extinction of dinosaurs.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Raymond Banting
When you started this post I was could almost see the god making a beautiful dive off of Siva’s head. It is so amazing the story that each civilization uses to explain the wonders in the sky. The Milky Way itself is a sight to see and looks as though it could only have been created by a god. Thank you for sharing this version of it. The way that you write about how stars are formed is so beautiful. Learning that this circle of life has been going on for 13 billion years is unfathomable. They live and die, from that death and ash another star is created, it’s just awesome. Dust and gas to death the ashes to new creation. All the information we can learn from the stars and their rotation is cool.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of a heavenly river and have never thought about the milky way like that. The fact that in space, there are dark clouds was a new concept to me. I love that you talk about the circle of life and how the sun passing the milky way could be a reason that dinosaurs are extinct.
ReplyDeleteI also like the fact that you ask questions at the end to really get us thinking. Thank you for the wonderful blog post
I always wanted to know more about the Milky Way and I am in awe. I could not get over the fact that it takes 80,000 years to travel from one end to the other. it also amazes me that the Milky Way is flat like a dinner plate!
ReplyDeleteHanna benabid
I enjoyed the story about the Greek culture as well as ancient Romans. I remember in elementary how much I enjoyed the hour dedicated to learning about the Milky Way. Especially learning the location where we stand in such an enormous galaxy like ours. It made me feel so small when compared to the Milky Way galaxy. I was really surprised to discover the different speeds in which the stars rotate and how they depend on the distance from the center. To know that the majority of the matter in our galaxy consists of dark matter is just astonishing because it is unknown what the properties consist of. So far, this has definitely been very educational blog post for me.
ReplyDeleteNancy Moreno
ASTR 152 OL
This was a very interesting article about the Milky Way. You mentioned how big the Milky Way was and how it would take 80,000 years to travel from one end to the other. I found that very interesting, I never knew it was that big. I also found it interesting that 85% of the matter in our galaxy is dark matter. That is also something I did not know. This was a great article, I learned a lot of new information from it.
ReplyDeleteAram Teroganesyan
Alexander Weiss
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
It was interesting to learn about the Milky Way and to find out that t would take 80,000 years to travel from one side of the galaxy to the other. Again that information seems so incredibly hard to grasp. The prospect of an ice cloud with a shower of comets causing mass extinction is also concerning, although it will most likely not happen during our lifetime. All of this information makes the universe seem so daunting and even with some of the answers it only creates more questions.
I remember the very first time I had ever seen the milky way galaxy...although I had no idea what I was looking at, at the time. My family and I had taken a camping trip up to the Sequoia National park when I was very young. I'm a city boy, so this was my first glimpse at a sky that included more than just a handful of stars you could count on one hand. The sight was quite spectacular.
ReplyDelete-Cameron Wolcott
Astr 152
It was interesting to know that 85% was dark matter. Also learning about the Milky Way is always interesting. I wonder if in the future it will be possible to explore the Milky Way galaxy, and other galaxies. It would probably take a long time because you mentioned it would take 80,000 years to explore it. This might be faster if new technology comes around or if we have better telescopes and tools to see further into the galaxy.
ReplyDeleteCindy Aguirre
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
Your blogs always sum the information up, which makes it easier to comprehend. I love the way you always incorporate your childhood stories. I can see you are very passionate about the subject you teach us. I found it interesting to read that in India the heavenly portion of the imaginary river contained milk. It amazes me that the disk is so big it would take 80,000 years to travel from one side to the other. You also stated that 85% of matter in our galaxy is dark matter and the properties are unknown. Hopefully as technology keeps evolving, astronomers will be able to solve the property of the dark matter. Thank you for sharing!
I remain fascinated about all the stories and myths that can explain the events occurring in the sky. I feel as if there is a story for all the occurrences in the sky. I think it's amazing how far technology has advanced so that we now have a better idea of what exactly is happening in the sky, our Earth, where we live. Thank you for your stories, they are always my favorite part.
ReplyDeleteIt is incredible to think about how big the milky way actually is! Now, when you told us the example of how it would take 80,000 years to get from one end of the galaxy to the other. That is a whole lot of years. Although the galaxy is so large it is astonishing to think about 85% of it is only dark matter. I could not imagine what could occur if that percentage were less. It is going to be interesting to see if throughout the years technology were to uncover more knowledge revolving our galaxy.
ReplyDeleteWhile reading the article I learned about the milky way and how it consist of dirt and clouds. I also found fascinating how 85% of our galaxy is dark unknown matter, which leaves me questioning what possibly could be in there ? Also what was interesting to find how stars are seperated in there are depending how old or how young they are.
ReplyDeleteAdrian Ruvalcaba
DeleteAstronomy 152
This weeks' blog helped me really understand the entire formation of the Milkyway. I think the statement of the Milkyway being the size of a dinner plate, was an interesting way to understand its formation.
DeleteASTR 152 ONLINE
FALL 2016
MARINA MELKUMYAN
DIANA PEREZ
ReplyDeleteASTR 153
ONLINE
They say that space is infinitely expanding and that space is such an immeasurable body. To think that traveling from one end to another, in our galaxy, would take 80,000 years! How can we figure out everything we need to know about the universe when we have only explored only a tiny percent of it! Also, the idea that the sun can cause a mass extinction every 60 billion years is so interesting. Stars are constantly being born and dying, so when I look up at the sky I wonder if what I am seeing stars that are already dead or dying or if they are newborns.
DIANA PEREZ
ASTR 152
ONLINE
16223
I love the tale of the heavenly river! Im sure it was a bit disappointing to find out that it was actually just stars. It is awesome that Harlow Shapely used the observatory in Los Angeles for his PhD. Id love to go there and check out the milky way! It is fascinating how the universe operates as a whole. Dark matter in so interesting and so mysterious. Its almost hard to believe that 85% of our galaxy is dark matter and that we know virtually nothing about it. Im sure we will figure it out, i just hope I'm around to see it!
ReplyDeleteSarine Mirzakhanian
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 Online
Very interesting article about the Milky Way. Milky Way looks like a long stretch of light with a dark band in the middle, which is contained of huge clouds and dust. The thickness is called the cluster which has two types, the open cluster, containing loose stars, and the others which have younger stars are called globular. As a star expands the bigger stars become brighter than the smaller ones, and studying this, is how they came to understand the distance and shape of the Milky Way. Now, knowing the size and the structure of our galaxy, we know it is so big that the light takes 80,000 years to travel from one side to the other. The stars in different distances travel in various speeds, so closer the star is to the center it travels faster and the further it is, it travels slower. Stars are continually born from huge clouds of gas and dust. New stars are not from the dusts of old stars and as the graviton forces govern the motion of stars they should follow the same pattern of our sun. This motion is called the Keplerian motion. Knowing all this which is called visible matter, is less than 15% of our universe, and the other 85% we have no knowledge or very little knowledge about.
Katherine Garay
ReplyDeleteAST 152 online
This blog post is very fascinating to read! Now I'm considering to imagine the milky way as a dinner plate. I learned at Griffith observatory as well as read on articles that there is a deep research study on Adromeda galaxy. I find this fascinating. I often like to think that we are not alone in the universe. The milky way can't be the only galaxy to have lives.
astro 152 online
ReplyDeleteI found it very interesting that the even that lead to the extinction of the dinosaurs was due to a cyclic event. Previously I thought that it was random, but now I know that it is something we can expect to happen in the distant future.
ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteHeng Shen
I always find interesting things from you blog. This one is help me know more about galaxy. Your blog makes me feel this class is funny. Because I do not only study by our text book.
Hello my name is Maria Figueroa and I am part of Astro 152 online class. this blog is as always very interesting to read because it always provides helpful information that helps us gain more knowledge about our universe. For example, I found really interesting an important the fact that the Milky way Galaxy that surrounds the structure. Also, I didn't know that since the disk is so big the light takes up to 80,000 years to travel from one side to the other. this part really fascinated and impressed me. Overall, this blog provides detailed information that really helps me to expand my knowledge on the universe.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if it could be possible that celestial macrostructures to us could actually be subatomic particles of some other plane of reality.
ReplyDeleteWow, it's very strange even comprehending that it takes over 80,000 years to travel the milky way! I think this is what most stood out to me. This further helps emphasize the idea that the universe is practically infinite. Thanks you for the informational post professor!
ReplyDelete-Luciana Moreno
AST 152 Online
Grace Doyle Astro 152
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy your blogs. I’m a music major so I know nothing about astrology. Learning about the milky way was really interesting. The fact that there are hundreds of thousands of other galaxies out there and we are just one is crazy. Plus any blog about dinosaurs is a blog I want to watch. How they became extinct incredibly interesting. Its scary to think something like that can happen again. Another thing to worry about other than global warming.
All this is interesting like usual. I always learn something new. I enjoyed how stars are continuously formed from huge clouds of dust and gas. It is crazy how it is disturbed of pattern rotation. I thought the milky way was empty not make up of dirt and clouds.
ReplyDelete-Jazzlin Hernandez
Astro 151
Yaqueline Carlos
ReplyDeleteASTRO 152
This blog was especially interesting to me because when mentioning the milky way I thought, there are probably thousands of galaxies that we are still unaware of and we live in one of them. I also read another interesting fact that new stars form from the dust of old stars, kind of like recycling with is really fascinating.
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteThis blog post was interesting because you explained the Milky Way. Also I didn’t know that the stars evolve and die and produce new material. And that new stars are born from the old stars ashes. The galaxy seems like such a mystery because we don’t know that much about it. Majority of the galaxy is dark matter and unknown.
-Yadira Morales-Chinchilla (ASTR 152)
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteIt is fascinating to know how the stars continually form from the ashes of old stars since they die off and produce new material. Also, it amazes me how the production of the stars has been going on very several years and will possibly occur eternally.
What was really informative to me what how there are 683 directions in which you can count stars in! Also, the use of variable stars as a source of measurement also intrigued me. It's crazy to think we can only depict the stars based on their luminosity- some being more dim than others.
ReplyDeleteKelly McGiffney
ASTR 152
Milky way has always been an interesting topic to me. After reading this blog, I got more of better understanding and how stars are forming right now from the other old stars. It's crazy we are so tiny living in one galaxy and there are so much more out there.
ReplyDeleteYajaira Tiscareno ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteAs always the weekly blogs contain fascinating information. It is crazy to think that the disk of the Milk Way is so big that light takes 80,000 years to travel from one side to the other. One thing I found interesting was that the process of stars evolving and dying has been going on for the past 10 to 13 billion years. Just the amount of time amazes me. I look forward to reading next week’s blog posts.
Astronomy 152
ReplyDeleteAs always the blog was very helpful, it made the concepts easier to understand. I never really knew anything about galaxies, especially the milky way. I always just thought it was gases and stars. Its interesting to know that the stars travel at different speeds due to being at different distances from the center. I also really enjoy the childhood aspect, because it makes it more relatable.
Maria Camacho
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
Before this week I knew nothing about our galaxy. I mean, knew the milky way was a candy bar but that was about it. I'm happy to report that I'm not as ignorant on the subject as I used to be. I learned a little bit about black holes and dark matter, the different locations of the galaxy such as its bulge, halo, and disc. I also learned that stars reside in different places of the galaxy according to their age. I am happy to say that I can hold a conversation to a certain extent on the galaxy. :)
Allan Chan
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
From dust, stars form and then are distinguished as open or closed. I find it amazing that there are so many different stars in our galaxy and how they manage to form clusters. Then using clusters, astronomers were able to measure the center of the milky way. I can't believe how scientists manage to find ways to do the impossible, well at least to me it seems impossible. I really enjoy learning about how stars are born and live their lives.
Black holes and dark matter always intrigued me and i am glad I know know a little more about them. How new starts form from old stars ashes is also very cool. The milky way is definitely much more than a candy bar.
ReplyDeleteToday's blog was very interesting. I liked learning about the Crab Nebulae and how the Chinese witnessed the explosion. I also found in interesting how one tablespoon of dense star could be about the weight of a cruise ship! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete-Star Alcazar
Astro 152
Fall 2016
I found it interesting to learn about the fluctuation of the sun and how it causes meteor showers. If it does this every 60 million years are we overdue for another catastrophe such as this?
ReplyDeleteHaley Blevins
ASTR 152
This blog was was quite fascinating. I will now think of the Milky Way as a dinner plate. I found it interesting that 85% of the matter in the galaxy is dark matter, and we don't know what it does. Cool stuff!
ReplyDeleteThis blog was interesting to know about the sun and how it works. It was nice learning about the sun and how it affects showers in the sky. With scientists exploring the sizes and measurements of the stars and galaxy's, we will advance in the world with many things to come.
ReplyDeleteEdward Rodriguez
Astro 152, Fall 2016
Its mind blowing that 85% of the matter in our galaxy is dark matter and that we do not know what that really is. Like you said there are yet a lot of questions to be answered but like you say hopefully due to our crazy fast developing technology we may have most of the questions answered soon.
ReplyDeleteI really like how you opened this blog post. Like a story is told that will enchant you to read more. It definitely cast a spell on the reader and reflects the mysticism that many cultures associate with the sky and our universe. Because you are from a different culture, from a Hindu background you teach us about culture at the same time as you teach a physical subject as the one of astronomy, I appreciate the mix of the two.
Thanks!
I really enjoyed the personification of the Milky Way because it got me hooked right away. I always enjoy stories like that. As I was reading I thought of how much space we still don't know about and then I came upon your comment of 85% of space matter being unknown and I was shocked. I knew it was a lot but I had no idea about such a high number!! It's crazy to think about how much of a mystery space is. It's terrifying and mesmerizing all the same. I liked the "dinner plate" analogy and the fact that light takes 80,000 years to travel from one edge to the other! The distance is amazing. Doesn't even seem believable. That's what I find the most amazing about space is that it might seem very much unreal but actually isn't. Space is mesmerizing in its total mystery.
ReplyDeleteKatie Rosa Astronomy 152(online)
ReplyDeleteLike always I love the connection with your childhood it really helps me get a bigger picture and using more imagination. What was really cool and actually kind of shocking to find out was that the center of the milky way is just dark clouds and dirt. Although that many are disappointed I advise to take a step back and see that the most beautiful things are just as simple as they would expect. It was very interesting to find out the many different ways the milky way was called based on different eras and different cultures. Very nice and informative blog.
The universe is infinite and it is still expanding. Every day people try to find out more and more about it. We once believed the world flat, which is why it is important we keep exploring. Today we say dark matter is changing the way we see the universe. It is interesting to learn what is believed to be true now, especially when a few years down the road it might change. This is why i hate and love science no matter how sure people are of a certain fact they could always be wrong.
ReplyDeleteRaymundo Ruvalcaba
-astr 152
I have heard of the simile of the MilkyWay being compared to a dinner plate, because it is flat like a disk. This article was interesting because I was always interested in the Milky Way. It is interesting to find out more about the different cluds and dirt involved. The distance between everything in this universe is crazy. I learned many new things from this post, thank you.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Maggie Chong
This blog post was really interesting since I was always curious about the Milky Way. It was fascinating to know that the Milky Way can be compared to a dinner plate and that the disk is so big that the light takes 80,000 years to travel from one side to the other. That's crazy!
ReplyDeleteChristina Tran
ASTR152 Online (Fall 2016)
Professor,
ReplyDeleteThe last paragraph about the unknown of our galaxy struck me as very interesting; it is strange to think about what we don't know, because in this day and age we consider ourselves quite modern, and to have the answers to almost everything, as I'm assuming most other eras did, as well. However, it is weird to see the unknown applied to us today. Thanks for the post!
Christa Griffiths ASTR 152 ONLINE (Fall 2016)
The concept of dark matter is so interesting to me. It's crazy that our Milky Way is so huge yet most of it (85% of it) is dark matter. It's amazing that it makes up so much of our Milky Way, yet we know so little about it.
ReplyDeleteI want to thank you professor for putting up these post. After I read them, I often share this information with my dad and we begin to discuss they mystery and discoveries of our universe. I asked my father where the gravitational pull in the milky way is produced and he explained to me that it comes from the black hole that is located in the center of the galaxy. I asked him why we don't get sucked into the black hole to me and he tells me it is because we are in the out layer of it. I really enjoy having those conversations with my dad. If I don't quite understand something he will look it up and find a video which will help me better understand it.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the Milky Way, I was aware it was made up of our planets and a cluster of stars. What I didn't know was that they were two types of star clusters. Open clusters in which the stars are scattered and globular in which the stars are compact. The universe is of huge that even within our galaxy, scientist have yet to define 85% of its matter that for now they call dark matter. Maybe within the next 20 years we will know more.
Ixtla Montanez
ASTR 152 ONLINE (Fall 2016)
It's interesting to think about the fact that there are so many unobserved galaxies out there. The Milky Way is just one of them, thank you for the lecture once again.
ReplyDeleteBrenton Filipi
ASTR 152
Ryan Schlup ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteVery interesting blog again professor,I have always been interested in the Milky way and how large it is. I did not know that light may take around 80,000 years to travel from one side of it to the other. Another thing that I found interesting and did know about were clusters.
Unfortunately, when you mentioned that the Ganges originated in heaven, how disappointed they must be to know that in 2007 it was determined to be the fifth most polluted river in the world. It would be hard for me to relate such a dirty river to the Gods. It is also difficult for me to reconcile the fact that 85 % of the galaxy is dark matter. If is so prevalent, why isn't there more of it for us to encounter?
ReplyDeleteKierra Stepteau ASTR 152 Fall 2016
Your blog is interesting and informative as usual. I really like the way you introduce your blog. The Milky Way is so mysterious. I was so amazed by almost 85% of the matter in our galaxy is dark matter.
ReplyDeleteASTRO 152 Fall 2016
It was intriguing learning about the Milky Way since it is our galaxy and it's where we live and not just a candy bar. It's so crazy to learn how many years it takes to get from one side of the galaxy to the other.
ReplyDeleteOur own Milky Way galaxy may someday merge with the Andromeda galaxy—just two million light-years away and visible to the naked eye from Earth's Northern Hemisphere.
ReplyDeleteIt was very interesting fact to know about the galaxy. When I see the word galaxy, it was just some kind of star in a space that are really big and happening within the some kind of process, but from this article I got to know more about galaxy and also the milky way as well. Also I was fascinated to learn the fact about how the some portion of the imaginary river really contains milk in the India.
ReplyDeleteSungjoo Jeon
ASTR152
Fall 16'
Really interesting lecture! It is hard to grasp the fact that it would take 80,000 years just to get across the Milky Way. It really puts into perspective how small and tiny we, as humans, really are to the universe.
ReplyDeleteSelena Dang
ASTR 152
Kathy Aguilar
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
It was very interesting to learn about the galaxy and about the unknown of our galaxy, very fascinating stuff!
The Milky Way is incredible. Can't believe that is just one of many galaxies in the universe. Its crazy to think just how small of a part humans are in existence. Each chapter continues to blow me away.
ReplyDeleteElias Orona
ASTR 152
I found this blog post to be incredible! I never knew much about the milky way galaxy or even the ancient stories about it, like that it derives from heaven! I never would've guessed things like the different types of clusters, or that it would take up to 80,000 years to travel across!! Astronomy is so much more interesting when put into a new perspective of light.
ReplyDeleteRiley Conlan
ASTR152
Thank you Professor Choudhary for another fascinating lecture post. The Milky Way is truly incredible. Its beauty and wonder never ceases to amaze me. With its unique shape, its dark gas clouds, its wings, and to its many many stars and planets. It is incredible!
ReplyDeleteCelina Carpina
ASTR 152
Online Fall 2016
Hello Professor,
ReplyDeleteI always found the name, Milky way, to be fairly amusing and I, too, have always wondered why the "Milky Way" was actually called the Milky Way. It's interesting to know that the area in which we believe to be this path of bright light, is actually a group a clustered stars. It is also very interesting to know that those group of clusters that we call the Milky Way has also helped astronomer's to figure out the size of the galaxy and also be able to locate it's center.
Learning about the Milky Way always amazes me. It's crazy to think that earth is just a small particle of it. I also loved the introduction to this blog post. Very insightful.
ReplyDeleteTien Ho
ASTR 154
I love that you're always providing examples. Very interesting article about the Milky Way. Milky Way looks like a long stretch of light with a dark band in the middle, which is contained of huge clouds and dust.
ReplyDeleteCelinne Hernandez ASTR 152 online.
I think it is really interesting to learn how our galaxy was named after mythological things. The milky way is a vast object to us because it is the galaxy our planet is located in. In reality it is very small compared to what the entire universe is made of. The milky way is so complex but the more we study it and discover it’s beauty the easier it is to explain why things happen.
ReplyDeleteThe Milky way article is very interesting. I cant believe it contains our galaxy within and so much more. Just to know that it takes 80,000 years to cross the Milky Way galaxy ids mind blowing. I would like to know more about the Sagittarius A* black hole.
ReplyDeleteRafael Molina
ASTR 152 online
I was fascinated to learn that the motion of stars around the center of our galaxy provide vital information about the the way matter is distributed. I also found it to be quite intriguing that as the gravitational force governs the motion of stars around the galaxy, they follow a pattern similar to the way planets move around the sun, which is known as Keplerian motion. These measurements show that the stars which are very close to the center move as if they are attached rigidly and the ones far away move faster. The blog definitely helped me to better understand the reading and get a better grasp on what our galaxy consists of.
ReplyDeleteThis lecture was interesting to know about the Milky way. What stood out to me was learning that it takes 80,000 years to travel from one side to the other of the Milky Way Galaxy’s disk. After reading this, my curiosity about knowing how this Galaxy was formed expanded, and I am curious to know what will happen when it all comes to an end.
ReplyDeleteI've always been interested in the Milky Way galaxy. Every time I think of how massive and mysterious the universe is, I feel butterfly in my chest, and it somehow is touching to me. I know there are hundreds of thousand of other galaxies out there. To think that we are in one tiny part of just one of these galaxies is humbling.
ReplyDeleteThe satire contained in this article made for a very interesting read. The stories that accompany that this article help put perspective to what would have otherwise been a very technical lesson. "In early 19th century, Sir William Herschel and his sister counted stars in 683 directions".. its fascinating to read facts like these. I especially enjoy the stories you add to these blog posts. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThe Milky Way is very interesting to me. This blog provided me with a lot of new information such as knowing that new stars and old stars are found in different parts of the Milky Way. Plus, 85% of the matter in the our galaxy is dark matter. That is a very high percentage and I believe that the percentage was much lower.
ReplyDeleteReginald Hawkins
ASTR 152 online
The milky way has always caught my attention over the years. Its great to finally have some solid information based on where it got it's name, and other basic info!
ReplyDeleteI loved your initial example of the "heavenly river." As I look at modern images of the Milky Wah, I can definitely envision your original thoughts. I was really fascinated when you mentioned that all of the knowledge that we have about this universe has been a result of 50-60 years of research! That's mind boggling! We have accomplished so much in so little time. I can only imagine what we will discover in the next 50-60 years.
ReplyDeleteAshley Jackson
ASTR152 ONLINE
FALL 2016
*Milky Way
DeleteIs it possible for a super massive black hole to swallow a regular sized black hole? How does the super massive black hole not swallow everything? What triggers the end of a black hole? It is entirely possible that we will one day answer these questions, but that day seems very far away. However, with technology advancing at the current rate, that day might be sooner than we think.
ReplyDeleteAshley Stepteau ASTR 152 Fall
Yessenia Gramajo
ReplyDeleteAstr 152/ Spring 2017
The Milky Way was always a fascinating thing in the universe to me. I always wondered what could be inside of it; I always just thought it was smaller planets or elements inside. To find out it is just dirt and clouds disappoints me a bit. I thought it would be something much more interesting and confusing so we can find out another aspect of the universe that has not been discovered. I loved learning about the timeline of the stars and the huge impact they have on the universe itself. Thank you for another informative blog!
This lecture was very interesting the Milky way is a beautiful sight and a intriguing topic. I didn't know that the stars travel at different speeds because of their distance from the center i've always assumed that everything was traveling at the same speed. I also didn't know that 85% of the galaxy is dark matter. Im looking forward to reading the next lecture.
ReplyDeleteEver since I was exposed to the milky way I always found it quite beautiful. When I would see pictures of it I felt like I would get lost in its structure. It is fascinating how almost all information on the milky way is comes from 50-60 years. Theirs no doubt that in the next decade many questions will be answered. Can't wait!
ReplyDeleteAstr152 OL
Hi Professor,
ReplyDeleteYou mentioned that the Milky Way is is extremely large in comparison to the size of things on Earth. I never knew that the Milky Way galaxy is one of many galaxies. Thank you for explaining that to me it was very interesting.
Talya Joffe
CSUN
ASTR 152 Spring 2017
ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteThis blog post was very interesting. The Milky Way is interesting to learn about since it is the galaxy that we live in. I enjoyed how you mentioned dinosaurs and their extinction, it was a good addition to your topic. It was also cool to learn that new stars are born from dead stars ashes.
Hi Professor,
ReplyDeleteI was saw the astronomical photos of the whole universe people detected, I don't know is it real, though. Even the sun is becoming a really tiny part in the whole galaxy, and there is other disks like our home galaxy in the universe, which amazed me. The modern physics lets us know about how tiny human is in the whole universe and it's also interesting to find out other mysterious things about our galaxy. Even now it is still really amazing to imagine how the relationship between the galaxy and individual planets and the long time universe experienced from long long ago.
Yang Liu
ASTR 152 Spring 2017
La Vonne Centeno
ReplyDeleteAstr 152/ Spring 17
I loved seeing more of your personal stories, they really help the students related and imagine the lessons much better. Learning about the Milky Way is fantastic because we are part of it. I know that there are other galaxies out there but due to their sizes, I always wonder how it works or even fit. They are massive and full of science. I love that scientists are able to give us estimates of measurements. I wish I could explore the galaxy but I know it will never be possible.
Its very intriguing how well connected plants, animals,and human-beings are to stars. They all have a life-cycle which changed over time as they continued to develop. As the stars live, they also produce new material and die, just like how humans live, produce and pass away. I always believed that stars were forever, like if they were immortal like vampires.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth Escareno
SP 17
Astro 152
Professor,
ReplyDeleteI find it fascinating how the universe was formed and created. It took the human race so many years to be able to truly study the makings of the galaxy. The life of stars and how they impact the universe also is a curious topic. The intertwining of the stars, the galaxy, and the planets is something very new for me!
Alexis Alvarez
ASTROL 152
Dominic Teran
ReplyDeleteASTRONOMY 152 ONLINE
It has just come to my attention that I never intently questioned the origin of the name we gave our galaxy. I have always just been told it is The “Milky Way” and that was about it. I never even heard that name or even a mention of our galaxy in particular besides hearing people talk about the chocolate bar “Milky Way.” I always liked how the Milky Way is perceived as being a spiral as it gives it an everlasting feel as it goes around and around, a feeling that wouldn’t be possible with an angular planet.
Good Evening Professor
ReplyDeleteAs always it is a pleasure to read your lectures because I am continually learning something new. This week learning how the galaxies were named the Milky Way and how people were able to come to this decision is amazing.
ASTR 152 Online
It was interesting to learn about the river, Ganges, and how it was perceived by different ancient civilizations. The “Ganges in the sky” refers to what we call the Milky Way, the galaxy. It was easy to imagine the Milky Way as a dinner plate. It takes 80,000 years for light to travel from one end to the other. It is interesting to see how the Kepler’s Laws are integrated and explains how the galaxy works. It was interesting to read more about this.
ReplyDeleteJuliana DLP
ASTR 152
Everything in this blog was so helpful and interesting. Really nice to learn about the milky way in such a deep way, specially because we are a part of it!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your stories and making this such enjoyable reads!
Carlos Murillo
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 Online Spring 2017
Good afternoon Professor,
Thank you again for another interesting and knowledge filled blog post. It was cool thinking of dark matter, and how we literally know nothing about it. Hopefully science can figure it out in the near future.
Yekaterina Melnik, Astronomy 152 Online, Spring Semester 2017
ReplyDeleteI found it interesting to learn that what is unknown in our galaxy, its properties of matter are referred to as dark matter, which makes sense as darkness represents the unknown and unseen. The fact that there is so much we do not know is not surprising, however simply taking this course feels like humanity has accomplished so much in terms of discovery, it is baffling that we have only scratched the surface. I definitely agree with the statement that if we do not have the answers today, we will have the answers someday, eventually someone will come along and show us something that we failed to notice for years.
Soraya Gomez
ReplyDeleteAstr 152
There are so many stars in the galaxy they all travel at different speeds.The stars closer to the center of the galaxy move faster than the farther stars. The distance of stars can be measured similar to the brightness of the star. I like the comparison of the brightness of a star to a candle. If a candle was farther away it would look dimmer. Its the same with a star.
That was interesting to learn about the river Ganges. Its amazing to learn about whats out in spaces that I have never or probably will never see in person. Its amazing how big this universe actually is. How everything is connected in this world is amazing, and how we really depend on certain things to survive on this planet.
ReplyDeleteEleonor Navarro ASTR 152-16522-Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteThe Milky Way is such an interesting thing to think about. We are one galaxy out of many that are out there in the universe. Our Milky Way galaxy is already big in my perspective, which makes me wonder about what else we haven't found in our own galaxy. Outside of our Milky Way, there are even more undiscovered stars and planets that we know nothing about. The possibilities are endless when it comes to learning about our universe because our galaxy just a small spec compared to other galaxies.
Learning that astronomers counted stars moving in 683 different directions was very engaging. I will look into open clusters and globular clusters, because it would be interesting to see how open clusters look like a scatter graph, whereas globular clusters look like "meat balls". Learning that a mass extinction took place 65 billion years ago is beyond me! Thank you so much for sharing this wish us!
ReplyDelete-Ren
Astronomy 152 online
I think beginning each lecture post with a little story or anecdote really helps me engage with the material, so thank you for that Professor. On the Milky Way galaxy, I think it is amazing how mysterious the center is. Only recently have we begun researching into what the Milky Way is exactly and what is contained inside of it. With the spiral, disc shape our galaxy has, it's fun to entertain the thought of what other shapes galaxies take on out there. The universe is very mysterious and continues reinventing what we think about it as we discover more.
ReplyDeleteJessica Levin Samarscova
ASTR 152 Spring 2017
Very informative article professor, I didn't know that the distance to the globular clusters are measured by using variable stars. These are Cepheid variable stars. These stars contract and expand due to the build of heat. I really enjoyed this article
ReplyDeleteAn interesting fact I learned about this lecture is that new stars are born from ashes of old stars and has been like this for 13 billion years. It is amazing that ashes from old stars create new stars. It's a beautiful life cycle.
ReplyDeleteNatalie Bedrosian
Astr 152
Hello Professor
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this blog post for the reason that it amazes me how long it takes to get form one galaxy to another. I also really enjoyed gaining more knowledge on the milky way.
Megan Perez
Astronomy 152 (online)
Spring 2017
Bertini Nguyen
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL Spring 2017
Learning about our own galaxy is very interesting. It is also interesting to understand how exactly how our galaxy was formed and what lies inside our galaxy because even though it is our home galaxy there is so much information to be taught and learned at the same time.
The galaxy is definitely an amazing thing. I was never curious about it until I had this course. The Milky Way galaxy is just so mysterious. It is even more amazing that humans were able to study the galaxy and come up with so much information about it. I am sure the galaxy is much more than we know it as of right now, there are probably much more things to learn and explore in it. Thank you for this blog post!
ReplyDeleteAngella Dijamco
ASTR 152 ( Online )
Spring 2017
Cristian Gil 152 Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteBefore reading this I had very little knowledge about teh galaxy we reside in. Last summer I spent a week camping in Yellowstone National park and while driving back to our camground late one night I looked over Yellowstone Lake and thought I was seeing things but my girlfriend saw it as well. It was the part of the milky way. Something we didn't know was possible to see with the naked eye. It was amazing. I didn't know that the milky way galaxy behaves much like our tiny solar system and revolves around a black hole. I still can't even grasp what a black hole is or dark matter (for that matter). Another part of our universe that flys over my head.
Kevin Whitmarsh
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
Spring 2017
I was unaware before reading this that stars are formed from the ashes of other stars. Thinking about it now, the concept obviously makes sense. However, I thought once a star was formed, that was it for that material unless something came along to destroy the star and scatter pieces across the galaxy. The idea that this has been going on for the past 10 to 13 billion years is incomprehensible. The human species compared to the lifetime of our solar system hasn't even been around for the blink of an eye. This brings to question the true nature that humans were put where they are today and what exactly the purpose is for our civilization, or if there even is a purpose.
The opening story of the “Ganges” river is captivating. I never knew the mythology that was associated with the river. When you first viewed the Milky Way and the disappointment you felt is similar to how some people feel when they meet a celebrity and realize they are just normal people too. The fact of the dark spots being just dust and nothingness is really daunting. Learning about Harlow Shapley’s work on his PhD thesis in Mt. Wilson helps to put a face on the observatory.
ReplyDeleteMahrum Arya Zahiri
Astr152 Spring 2017
100859250
I found this blog post very interesting as the motion of stars and the way planets revolve around the sun are explained through the distribution of matter in our solar system. This event is possible through the gravitational pull between celestial bodies in our universe as they are attracted to one another. The explanation behind dark matter in our universe is intriguing as scientists have developed explanations for occurrence that are invisible but yet existent in our galaxy. A large part of our universe is filled with unknown dark matter and this idea generates a lot of questions in the field of astronomy. The sustainability of star is important as it provides energy through the burning of elements essential for the functioning of processes on Earth, including humans.
ReplyDeleteThroughout your blog post I was able to read and learn about things that I was never taught in school. It is fascinating that almost 85% of the matter in our galaxy is dark matter, which properties are unknown. It was interesting finding out about the timeline of stars and understanding how they have a big impact on this universe.
ReplyDeletePatricia Olivera Astronomy 152 Spring 2017
ReplyDeleteThe Galaxy is infinite but luckily we are able to learn some of the galaxy. One thing we do know for sure is the milky way galaxy. It is crazy how many stars are around it. It is considered a dinner plate that has a halo that surrounds it. The sun and planets are around the Milky Way. I loved learning about this.
When I would see pictures of the Milky Way in books as a kid I would think those are animated, I later learned science books do not provide fictional information. Our sky above holds very detailed structures within itself. Unfortunately, it is never fairytale like, now I know that the Milky Way contains clouds and dirt. My imagination also fooled me. You mentioned how big the galaxy was, which is quite breathtaking but it puzzles how complicated our universe really is. And I too question, what came first, what formed what? I am very pleased that humans have made it their goal to find answers and progress more and more everyday.
ReplyDeleteCristina Zakaryan
Astr 152 OL Spring 2017
Sebastian Artola
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 OL
I found it interesting how you opened the blog post with the Ganges analogy and another story about your childhood; I always enjoy these as I think it makes everything a little more personal and relatable, which I would think is hard to do with a subject like Astronomy. "The Milkyway Galaxy is a “dinner plate” like flat disk with a central budge and a halo that surrounds the structure. The disk is so big that the light takes 80,000 years to travel from one side to the other." Wow, while I've always seen pictures and diagrams of the Milky Way as a child, to hear that it is actually like this is astonishing. And I also found it funny about the questions that Astrophysicists ask themselves, because one of my friends is studying this and wonders about this constantly!
ASTRO 152
ReplyDeleteTo be completely honest, I never really knew for a long time that we lived IN the milky way. I've just never given much care to the astronomical part of earth until taking this course. It's crazy that there are so many galaxies throughout the sky and over 7 billion humans can live on just one!
ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteIt is beyond me to think that the Milky Way is only one of so many other galaxies. I can even begin to think about all the unknowns in the other galaxies as well. I can't believe that an extinction took place billions of years ago, and we actually know about it!
I found it very interesting the size of the Milky Way Galaxy. It is unbelievable how it takes the disk 80,000 years to travel from one side to the other. Meaning, many many generations pass and it still doesn't get to the other side.
ReplyDeleteEmery Hernandez
ASTR 152 Online
Spring 2017
I like this article because it really made me wonder if the stars formed the galaxies or if they were born in the galaxies. I enjoy the theories that we truly came from heaven because if anything that is where we started.
ReplyDeleteI’ve always found it fascinating that you can actually see clusters that vary in ages by how much gas they produce. I’d like to think you can create analogies about almost anything. I think open clusters would be high school of stars and the meatball clusters would be the nursing home of stars. You can see stars that thrive and they’re all shiny and new. And you can see how the old stars are burnt out and have less gas. Is the dark lane of dark clouds with dust is from us in Earth or are they clouds in the universe above?
ReplyDeleteAbigail Garcia
Astr152 Spring 2017
ASTR 152
ReplyDeleteI find it fascinating how stars are born from the ashes of other stars. That is something i never really knew. It is also amazing how dinosaurs went extinct because of a natural phenomenon that just happened to strike them.
It was very shocking to learn that in our Milky Way Galaxy, there are 100 billion stars alone. However It was even more shocking to learn that there are countless of galaxies in our universe -- each having their own clusters of stars. It's really difficult to put the scale of our universe in perspective especially with our current advances. The only thing to do is to keep learning and advancing to learn more and more.
ReplyDelete-Anthony Martires (ASTRO 152)
It is interesting to know how that stars form from the ashes of old stars.
ReplyDeleteOne of the question that I always find myself asking about the universe is how it is formed. What came about its existence? What started its existence? What components did it exist of that sparked its creation? What was the purpose? My curiosity remains hungry.
ReplyDeleteThe story of the Ganges river was a great way to start this blog about our galaxy. I found it funny that the Greeks called it the “milky circle”. I really want to look at the Milky way through a telescope; although you mention that it was disappointing. One cool thing I learned from this blog was that in India the imaginary river contained milk. Another cool thing I learned was that it would take around 80,000 years for us to travel around the Milky Way. It is amazing that stars have died off and been reborn for the past 10-13 billion years.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth Luna
Astr 152
Summer 2017
I always enjoy learning about myths and gods that relate to astronomy. It amazes me how large the Milky Way is and what it entails.
ReplyDeleteAmber Daoud
ASTR 152 Summer Online 2017
Every time I read something like this I find it hard to believe we know this much. How on earth could we know how big our entire galaxy is?! It's huge and we haven't even been there yet. It is just unreal that we know the size and everything these things are made up of. I find it funny that we make fun of the explanations the Greeks and Indians came up, because for all we know a thousand years from know scientists will here our explanations and do the same.
ReplyDeleteRayleen Silva
ASTR152-- Summer 2017
The dark spots being just dirt and clouds made the Milky Way seem a little bit more normal to me. It is unfortunate that our galaxy is so hidden by the pollution of our sky.
ReplyDeleteElia Narvaez
ASTR 152 (Online) Summer 2017
I love the hopefulness presented at the end of the lecture. I hope that many if not all of our questions about the galaxy are discovered within my lifetime. I'm a curious person who does not like not knowing. I want to know everything even though I can't, but the idea of having most of our galactic questions answers is very hopeful. I can't wait to learn the answers!
ReplyDeleteHeather Friedman
ASTR152 Summer 2017
Living in the suburban area of the San Fernando Valley, light pollution definitely prevents me from fully seeing the Milky Way. The Milky Way is a fascinating topic in astronomy; especially because it's a celestial galaxy that humans have witnessed for thousands of years. It is very humbling to know that it takes 80,000 years to travel across the Milky Way galaxy and that it takes our solar system 250 million years to orbit around the Milky Way's bulge. It is hard to imagine how long it would take to travel across the whole universe. It's very interesting to know that 85% of the matter in our galaxy is dark matter and the origins of this particular matter have not yet been discovered.
ReplyDeleteJulius Loredo
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
Our Milky Way galaxy is very fascinating to learn about. What I find cool is that even though we are living in it, we are able to still successfully figure out roughly how big it actually is. The globular clusters that you mentioned are as old as the galaxy, which is millions and millions of years! It is hard to imagine something being in tact for this long, and still not getting all the answers we want to know. I know in our lifetime it is hardly likely to know what will happen to our galaxy in the future. Learning how big our galaxy is really leads me to believe that life somewhere out there does exist somewhere else.
ReplyDeleteThe beginning of this blog was very interesting, I like how everything is connected with the sky. It is also very cool to know how stars will live and die and new ones will form from the old ones and this will continue to go on forever, never stopping. It's also crazy to think about how big the Milky Way galaxy and there is millions of other galaxies out there that are just as big or even bigger with stars and different kinds of planets. It makes you think, are we really alone?
ReplyDeleteNazenie Parsamyan
ASTR 152 (Online) Summer 2017
When I was little, I knew about the Milky Way and that it was where earth was located. I didn't know that the Milky Way is shaped like a spiral and is flat like a plate. That was pretty interesting to find out.
ReplyDeleteShayla Mayers
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
Interesting to know we are just and arm to the Galaxy. The pictures I've seen of the MW look so beautiful and magical that finding out that its just grouped up stars was a little bitter sweet.
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 summer 2017 Bianca SChutt
It's interesting to know about the galaxy we live in. The milky way is a galaxy in which our solar system is located. There can be many galaxies in this universe and many planets that we don't know about. But exploring our galaxy is very interesting. Another interesting that you mention is how new stars are born from ashes of old stars for more than 10 billion years.
ReplyDeleteJasmine Ulloa
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
It is interesting that there is so much dark matter in our galaxy that we do not know much about. There is always more to explore. I was also impressed to learn about the causes of comet showers that cause mass extinction. I never knew that a galaxy's rotation can have such powerful effect on extinction.
ReplyDeleteKathryn Munster
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
in every blog post we learn new things that we did know about, and it is amazing how so little we know about our universe the milky way and so on.
ReplyDeleteABDULAZIZ ALMURAD
ASTR 152 SUMMER 2017
Andrea Cuba ASTR 152 SUMMER 2017
ReplyDeleteHello Professor and thank you again for your wonderful post!Before this post, I never thought or wondered how the brightness of a star is calculated and how old each cluster of galaxies really is. It's amazing to think that galaxies can be millions of years old.
Yasaman Khani
ReplyDeleteASTR 152 Summer 2017
The blog posts are my favorite. Having the study material combined with stories make it much more interesting and fun. It is also very interesting to me that we still don't know the "dark matter" but we know that possibly there is such a thing. It is also mind blowing to think that out solar system in the Milky Way is so small. I guess we often forget to think about it being busy in our every day life.
After read this blog, I think stars just like human. people die and baby born. Stars die and formed from old stars. likes there is a balance in the universe. And the milky way is really amazing.
ReplyDeleteYiting Wu
Astr 152 Online
Summer 2017
I know that we live in the milky way galaxy, but when I hear about how large it is, it gets me thinking that we are not home anymore. It is so vast, and if we keep expanding the map, I lose my place. I am amazed how astronomers were able to trace everything.
ReplyDeleteThank you,
Daniel Kwon
ASTR 152 Summer 2017
Aishabibi Zhursinbek
ReplyDeleteASTR 152
Summer2017
Very interesting post about Milkyway. I didn't know anything about Milkyway before. And I liked the way you started the blogpost. Also, it was new for me to know that the stars are actually continuously formed from huge clouds of dust and gas. Another interesting fact to note was that 65 million years ago people and dinosaurs died because of the shower comets on earth. It's fascinating!
It's so amazing to hear that there are also other galaxies in space, meaning that there might be more life out there... But I just find it interesting to read that our galaxy is considered "normal", while the other galaxies are still being researched and discovered.
ReplyDeleteSarah Choi
ASTR 152 Summer Online 2017